this is the greatest

hui helke

im asking for opinions here on the christain veiw of the book

does any one know exactly why susan is not in besides a mention

There may already be a thread on the discussion on the views of the books, but I'm not sure. The reason why Susan is left out in TLB is not clear, and not even I know why she was left out.

No, not much is mentioned about Susan, but what little is said is enough. It says near the end of Chapter 12:

"My sister Susan," answered Peter shortly and gravely, "Is no longer a friend of Narnia."

"Yes", said Eustace, "and whenever you've tried to get her to come and talk about Narnia or do anything about Narnia, she says, 'What wonderful memories you have! Fancy your still thinking about all those funny games we used to play when we were children."

"Oh Susan!" said Jull. "She's interested in nothing nowadays except nylons and lipstick and invitations. She always was a jolly sight too keen on being grown-up."

So we see that Susan has evidentily turned away from her beliefs, backslid you might say and became only interested in self rather than that of others and Aslan and Narnia to which she was once High Queen.

Quite true, but what exactly does that mean? Does it mean simply that she no longer believes, does it mean she disdains? When PP, EP, and LP can go 'round the ridge in Aslan's country, will seeing them remind SP of Narnia? Will SP ever be able to go to the real Narnia? After all, if L, E, and P can get to S by walking along a ridge, that means that S can get to L/E/P by walking along that same ridge. Or does it? Does S's apparent disbelief mean that Narnia no longer exists to her? In my mind, everything is all a jumble. Can someone sort me out? Please? :)

If you'll remember, the Pevenies (except Susan) Eustace, Jill, and Pevensie parents all died in the train accident, meaning that although the Pevensie's parents didn't know about Narnia, they could go around the ridge to meet them since they were dead and since their parents were dead. Susan is like a lot of Christians who get saved at a young age, then abandons their childhood faith. Susan did just that: she convinced herself that Aslan was silly, narnia was silly, and everything she believed in was silly. It's very clear in the book, and I don't mind explaining it, but it's very clear in the book.

Aravis of Archenland said:
If you'll remember, the Pevenies (except Susan) Eustace, Jill, and Pevensie parents all died in the train accident, meaning that although the Pevensie's parents didn't know about Narnia, they could go around the ridge to meet them since they were dead and since their parents were dead. Susan is like a lot of Christians who get saved at a young age, then abandons their childhood faith. Susan did just that: she convinced herself that Aslan was silly, narnia was silly, and everything she believed in was silly. It's very clear in the book, and I don't mind explaining it, but it's very clear in the book.

Yes, that what i would have said. We dont know what hapens to her later tho......

Well I suppose you will have to make up your own mind what happens to her. Does she find Narnia again or does she spend the rest of her life thinking about herself and material things. It is kinda of like our lives, what is our story. It is up to us, free will is the most awsome gift God gave us and that is what susan is doing. Aslan would take her back in a heartbeat if only she wanted to be taken back.

Hi Guys,
If Susan did not Mend her ways, Susan might not have had the opportunity to take the trip "over the ridge", because Susan was, in effect, rejecting God when she rejected Aslan and Narnia. She basically was saying "I am to old for beliefs in anything." She stands in the state of Screwtape's materialist (in Lewis's The Screwtape Letters) only for her it was worse because she had actually met Aslan (Jesus) and decided that she did not want or need him anymore.
If (or when as I would like to believe is the case) she did mend her ways, she, upon dying, would have a very easy time getting to the real Narnia as it is only a Country in Aslan's country that we here on earth call Heaven.

bthew said:
Hi Guys,
If Susan did not Mend her ways, Susan might not have had the opportunity to take the trip "over the ridge", because Susan was, in effect, rejecting God when she rejected Aslan and Narnia. She basically was saying "I am to old for beliefs in anything." She stands in the state of Screwtape's materialist (in Lewis's The Screwtape Letters) only for her it was worse because she had actually met Aslan (Jesus) and decided that she did not want or need him anymore.
If (or when as I would like to believe is the case) she did mend her ways, she, upon dying, would have a very easy time getting to the real Narnia as it is only a Country in Aslan's country that we here on earth call Heaven.

Very well put!

so i'm hearing that everyone agrees that susan did not come because she chose not to come. She is still Queen Susan, but she has chosen not to come to Narnia at this time. That is not to say that she won't choose to come back again at sometime in her life. Even though she is old, her life is not yet over.

I guess what I'm getting at is that God never stops working to bring us back to Himself. Nothing can seperate us from the love of God, not even death itself. (Romans 8:38-39). So Susan, nor we, are ever beyond hope.

The only difference from this book and the others is that in TLB Susan choses not to return verses Aslan telling them they may not return.

And this brings up a second question. I though Aslan said that they would not return to Narnia... yet here they are back once again in TLB. What gives?

The ones who were told they would never return to Narnia did not return to the shadow lands they once knew. They returned only to the real Narnia, a place they had never been before.

here, here! they even talk about it in the book. I think the Professor said that, but I could be wrong. They did not go back to the "carbon copy" of the "Carbon Copy" of Narnia; the world that had an end, but rather to the living, eternal Narnia of Aslan's Country Heaven.

Back