Time in narnia?!

polly&digory

Now i had a conversation with a friend about the time line of the Pevensies trip and how long their whole experience went untill the last battle. The ages of the children are unknown and Polly and digory were there went narnia was created. Anyone have a idea of how long? A book i have gave me a timeline but it doesn't seem right to me.

I've got the timeline as published in The Land of Narnia by Brian Sibley. It includes the year of each child's birth.

The ages of the children when they entered the Wardrobe were 13, 12, 10 and 8 (in 1940).
Narnia was created in 1900 when Digory was 12 and Polly, 11.
Eustace and Jill were 16 during the Last Battle and were the oldest of any of the children to return to Narnia, in 1949.

The white witch returned to Narnia in 898, but the long winter didn't start until 900.
The Pevensies entered Narnia in the year 1000 and vanished while hunting the white stag in the year 1015.
Civil war broke out in Narnia and the Pevensies returned in 2303 (1941).
2306-7 (1942) Voyage of the Dawn Treader.
2356 Rillian rescued (imagine Eustace's shock, it was only a couple of months later!)
2555 End of Narnia

Hope this answers your questions

Last edited:
That was what the timeline i have said so i am hoping that its correct. Interesting the casting of peter being so old when he is supposed to be 13.

It says it was written by C.S. Lewis, so I'm guessing it might be.

He looked 13. I was willing to believe he was 13. How old is he really?

I think the Golden Age might not refer to that period of time. I think it refers to earlier. I might be wrong, but doesn't Jewel tell Jill about it while he's going on about all the peaceful times Narnia's had when the children weren't there?

Jacksie said:
I think the Golden Age might not refer to that period of time. I think it refers to earlier. I might be wrong, but doesn't Jewel tell Jill about it while he's going on about all the peaceful times Narnia's had when the children weren't there?
i'm not sure. now that i think about it though, i wonder if the golden age refers to the beginning of narnia with king frank.
also another question about time...say you went into narnia for about 5 minutes our time. that might be, say, a year in narnia. if you exit narnia for a few seconds and then re-enter, would it still be about the same year in narnia?

jillthevaliant said:
i wonder if the golden age refers to the beginning of narnia with king frank.
According to Lion and Caspian, the Golden Age of Narnia was when the Four ruled at Cair.
jillthevaliant said:
also another question about time...say you went into narnia for about 5 minutes our time. that might be, say, a year in narnia. if you exit narnia for a few seconds and then re-enter, would it still be about the same year in narnia?
It's impossible to tell. There doesn't seem to be any correlation between the passage of time in our world and Narnian time. Sometimes the passage of a year in our time equates to over 1000 Narnian Years (e.g. the gap between Lion and Caspian), or three NY (Caspian to Dawn Treader) or about fifty years (Dawn Treader to Silver Chair).

Incidentally, that timeline finds its original source in a book called Past Watchful Dragons by Walter Hooper. He claims that it was provided by Lewis, but Hooper has fallen under suspicion of publishing things under Lewis' name that weren't actually Lewis'. My understanding is that nobody saw this timeline while Lewis lived. One thing that makes me very suspicious of it is that in Lion, the Four have pretty well forgotten their earthly life when they rediscover the lamppost and pass back into our world (NY 1015, according to that timeline). But the events in Horse supposedly take place in NY 1014, and in that story Queen Lucy tells the tale of the wardrobe at a banquet at Anvard. It's kind of hard to believe that they would have forgotten all that in just a year - but then, that might just be Lewis' rather casual attention to historical detail.

PrinceOfTheWest said:
According to Lion and Caspian, the Golden Age of Narnia was when the Four ruled at Cair.

so.. if the golden age was during time when lucy, peter, etc. ruled,which lasted 15 years, then what was the 45 yrs. that i'm talking about? anyone know?

jillthevaliant said:
so.. if the golden age was during time when lucy, peter, etc. ruled,which lasted 15 years, then what was the 45 yrs. that i'm talking about? anyone know?
The Golden Age would be during that period, which some sources say was only 15 years. What 45 year period are you referring to?

jillthevaliant said:
i'm not sure. now that i think about it though, i wonder if the golden age refers to the beginning of narnia with king frank.

actually in one of the books, (sorry i just went blank on which one.) I think PC, Lewis says that there is no way of knowing how much time has passed. There is no rhyme or reason you just have to go back and find out when you get there.
POTW is right, the golden age is when Peter was the High King.
oh, and I was under the impression that the kids first adventure happened in 1943. I just always picture the children being older. I'm trying to work out a timeline though. The trouble is between LB and SC. I earlier posted that timeline too but going back and checking dates shows it to be a bit off.

onlymystory said:
actually in one of the books, (sorry i just went blank on which one.) I think PC, Lewis says that there is no way of knowing how much time has passed. There is no rhyme or reason you just have to go back and find out when you get there.
oh, and I was under the impression that the kids first adventure happened in 1943. I just always picture the children being older. I'm trying to work out a timeline though. The trouble is between LB and SC. I earlier posted that timeline too but going back and checking dates shows it to be a bit off.

actually, now that i think about it, i think i do remembe something about lewis saying something like that.

What I find odd is the Telmarines. Were they South Sea pirates who came after 1900, or did they come during the time period normally associated with pirates but arrive after Digory/Polly who left Earth later? My guess would be that when you arrive in Narnia is pretty much entirely up to Aslan's discretion; it could be shorly afterwards (PC-DT), long afterwards (LWW-PC), or even before (Telmarines-MN) the last passage there.

onlymystory said:

If the children visited the Professor during the bombing of London it would have been in late 1940 or earily 1941. The timeline is pretty accuate even though it probably not by Lewis himself. The difference between the memoirs of the Pevensies about the Wardore at the end of LWW and HHB looks like Lewis wasn't trying to connect the dots. Remember the Lampost is very strong in our memiors because Lewis painted a beutiful picture. How well Lucy might have reconized it 15 years latters with no snow around may have explained it.

good point......i have a question that might sound really stupid, but hey. i was wondering, from who's point of view are the stories supposed to be told in?

Back