Two questions ...

I have two questions about things that happened in the film. I've been sitting on them for quite a while now, and so maybe they've already been discussed, but here they are:

1. What was the thing that Aslan summoned in the river to stop the Telmarine army? At first, I thought maybe Poseidon (the Greek god of the sea, &c.), but I don't think it was supposed to be him. In fact, I thought it resembled Trumpkin a bit.

2. During the fight between Peter and Miraz, Peter asks Edmund, "What do you think happens back home if we die here?" I'm curious about that - if one or more of them had died in Narnia - whether in the first or second films/books - what would have happened in our world? Would it stay frozen forever? Or if when the remaining Pevensies got back, what would happen to the other? I'd assume whoever died in Narnia would just be plain old dead, but what if they all had died? Did Lewis ever say what would happen?

Last edited:
1) In the book, while Aslan is reawakening Narnia, they come to the Bridge of Beruna (where the Ford of Beruna was). There, the river god asked Aslan to remove his "chains", in other words, the bridge. This was the same river god as in the book, just with the power to get rid of the bridge himself after Aslan awoke him and asked.

2) This question is actually asked in TLB by Digory. What happens is that they just die, as Frank and Helen did, as the Telmar ancestors, the pirates and their wives.

In fact, there was the question of what happened in MN after the police realized that Jadis "escaped" and a horse and the cabbie disappeared. In fact, I like to imagine the missing person's case opened by the police for not only Frank, but also his wife as they would have found their house with dishes (or clothes) in the wash, her seemingly having left suddenly. Only two people would have known what happened to the cabby and his wife, but no one would have ever believed the two children.

MrBob

I have two questions about things that happened in the film. I've been sitting on them for quite a while now, and so maybe they've already been discussed, but here they are:

1. What was the thing that Aslan summoned in the river to stop the Telmarine army? At first, I thought maybe Poseidon (the Greek god of the sea, &c.), but I don't think it was supposed to be him. In fact, I thought it resembled Trumpkin a bit.

2. During the fight between Peter and Miraz, Peter asks Edmund, "What do you think happens back home if we die here?" I'm curious about that - if one or more of them had died in Narnia - whether in the first or second films/books - what would have happened in our world? Would it stay frozen forever? Or if when the remaining Pevensies got back, what would happen to the other? I'd assume whoever died in Narnia would just be plain old dead, but what if they all had died? Did Lewis ever say what would happen?

Have you read the books? I think there was a thread where this was discussed somewhere else, at least your second question.
What happens if they die in Narnia, well, they'll be dead, as Jill said in The Last Battle. And life in this world will continue without them.

And the book only says that it was the River god. Poseidon is the dude of the sea. For the Narnian oceans, there is the Sea Serpent of VDT.

I have read all the books, but I've only read each of them once and that was about three years ago. : P They currently are at my beach house so I can't get them to look.

Someone on another forum said how silly it was for there to be a sudden appearance of Poseidon in PC. I told them, very bluntly, that if they would read the books, they would recognize that Lewis used Roman and Greek mythology extensively in the series, therefore it's not a sudden appearance. (That little statement also made me just a little ticked off at the person who said it.) It was the river god, as other people have said. And, I personally was in confusion over the death in Narnia thing. Would they really be dead in our world? I really think that yes, they'd be dead in our world, because otherwise: time would freeze forever in our world and nobody could live their lives.

The "Would they die in our world too?" question depends on whether or not Narnia is actually a physical realm. It is, so asking whether or not people'd die there isn't much of a question, because Narnia is real. If it wasn't real (just imaginary) then no, they wouldn't die, sort of like the "Bridge to Terebithia" world.

Yeah because I sort of thought of that when I was watching Prince Caspian, because I had just finishd this book called Rebel Angels, which is the second book of a trilogy, and in the first book a character dies in the Realms, and then dies in our world of a disease, and I wondered if it'd be anything like that, but then how would time go on, &c.? I wish Lewis were alive ... Gosh!! :rolleyes:

Time does go on whether or not the Narnia visitors come back. The only thing is that the visitors would go back to the exact same time as when they left. If they don't come back, then they just don't.

The time lines of worlds are unaffected by each other. A single person cannot control the flow of time. That would be like saying if Susan had stayed with Caspian and lived the rest of her life there, never to retrun to England, Peter, Edmund, and Lucy would not have remained frozen. They would have lived their lives without her.

MrBob

There should be no confusion over a human dying in Narnia, a human from our world, that is, because they physically went there. There is nothing like a different dimension, or an alternate reality, or being there in spirit or something like that. They physically left our world and went to Narnia. That was their reality. So if they died there, they died in REAL life. That means they would not come back to our world. Lewis did say so through Jill.

And about the river god, he was the god of this specific river. I am pretty sure other rivers had their gods. The books clearly mention river gods. To me it's sort of like the "spirit" of that river.

Many ancient peoples believed that every major river had its own minor god in charge of it (for the Chinese, it was water-dragons). In "The Iliad," the invincible Greek warrior Achilles has a close call when a river-god favoring the Trojans sends a flood to kill him, since Achilles' immunity to dying by weapons doesn't make him immune to drowning.

Are we forgetting that Peter, Edmund and Lucy were in The Last Battle and that the jolt that sent them there was the fatal train crash?

With regard to Q2 (about dying in Narnia), it is discussed by Eustace and Jill in TLB ch 9, but they don't reach a conclusion. Eustace suggests that they might vanish, or wake up back in England, or that their bodies might be found in England - but they are speculating and don't resolve the question.

In PC, Peter also addresses the issue during his fight with Miraz - not by asking it, but by telling Edmund to "Give my love to everyone at home if he gets me" - so he seems to assume that he will be dead at home too.

However, the problem never actually arises. My theory is that, since Aslan calls them into Narnia for a purpose, he would never allow that they would be killed anyway, so it's a moot point.

The interesting point is that when Eustace and Jill are killed in England, they appear in Narnia, whereas the others appear in the New Narnia. That's never explained - why the difference?

Peepiceek

The interesting point is that when Eustace and Jill are killed in England, they appear in Narnia, whereas the others appear in the New Narnia. That's never explained - why the difference?

Yes it is technically explained, in VODT and PC. Aslan tells the Pevinsies they cannot come back to Narnia but he never says that they can't go to New Narnia. Aslan never told Jill and Eustace though that they couldn't come back to Narnia so therefore they did not end up in New Narnia.
Leastways thats always been my theory.;)

Yes, that explains why the older ones can't get into Old Narnia, but it doesn't explain why the dead Eustace and Jill can. Shouldn't they all go either to the New Narnia or to the New England? (and I don't mean Maine!)

Peeps

Yes, that explains why the older ones can't get into Old Narnia, but it doesn't explain why the dead Eustace and Jill can. Shouldn't they all go either to the New Narnia or to the New England? (and I don't mean Maine!)

Peeps

Well they still had something left to do in that world (and I mean Narnia), so they were sent to help.

But they were dead in England, so by the reasoning above they should be dead in Narnia too. If they can be dead in one but alive in the other, then it raises the possibility that if they had died in Narnia they would still be alive in England.

Peeps

But they were dead in England, so by the reasoning above they should be dead in Narnia too. If they can be dead in one but alive in the other, then it raises the possibility that if they had died in Narnia they would still be alive in England.

Peeps

Well maybe Aslan kept them alive in that world so that they could fufill their task. Or maybe there just isn't an answer to that question.

One could also ask that if the kids were alive in our world why they first came into Aslan's Country in Silver Chair.

Back