VDT - deleted scenes.

Liz

There are four deleted scenes from the VDT film. Since the film isn't that long I had expected more deleted scenes, so I was a little surprised.

What do you all think of the deleted scenes? Should they have kept any/ all of them in the film? Or was it a good decision to delete them?
I've seen them on youtube, but the quality there is not so good; so I'll post my comments, when I finally get the dvd on 24/5!!

In the meantime I look forward to hearing, what you all think of them. ;)

I am glad that none of them were included in the film. None of them would have added or taken anything away from it.

The scene where the crew is mutinous and the green mist is swirling around was repetitive and would have slowed things down.

I liked the scene where Caspian and Edmund teased Lucy about her clothing, but I do not mind that it was not used.

There were a lot of scenes where Eustace's impudence and contempt for everyone else was shown. Thus, I do not think that the scene where he was seasick was needed. However, I do appreciate the care that they show Lucy giving Him. I have always admired the love that Lucy is able to show others.

Just my two cents worth :)

I loved the scene when Eustace is ill because it is from the book and is also funny, but it doesn't really matter that they took it out of the film. The "Caspian Doubt" scene might have worked but I thought Skander's acting wasn't as good as in the rest of the film. "Kids in Narnia Clothes" I understood but I had known the name weeks before the dvd came out and my siblings didn't know what they were talking about. "Much better?" "Huh?" so I once again see why they took it out. My favorite deleted scene was "Mutiny" which happened on Ramandu's Island in the book but would have worked great on the ship for the movie.

Unfortunately, the DVD version I have doesn't have any special features. Luckily I saw the three deleted scenes on youtube. I can say I am glad they weren't in there but it was interesting to see them nonetheless. :)

I've got the dvd now. Finally!! :)

I did like the deleted scenes. Caspian teasing Lucy is funny. Eustace being sick is in the book, where Lucy helps him. As is the mutiny, which I didn't like so much, because I think Caspian appears like a weak leader; which he doesn't in the book. On the contrary.
Caspian's doubt - the beginning of this scene is in the film. I always felt that this was a strangely short scene, like something had been cut out. So I would have prefered the whole scene in the film.

The deleted scenes are not essential for telling the story. But the film itself seems a little paced. Some slowing down would have been good, so for this reason I think they should have kept the deleted scenes in the film.

What do the rest of you think about this?

When I buy the DVD I'll let you know. I know, I know. It's just that buying this DVD is not one of my priorities. That's a first for me as Narnia fan where a Narnia product is not on my top list of things to get.

When I buy the DVD I'll let you know. I know, I know. It's just that buying this DVD is not one of my priorities. That's a first for me as Narnia fan where a Narnia product is not on my top list of things to get.

Ok, I'll look forward to that, when you eventually buy the dvd. :)

The deleted scenes are also on Youtube, if anyone is interested. I've watched the dvd several times by now, the film feels short. I do enjoy it anyway, despite a few things, which I'm not that happy about.

Look forward to hearing more opinions.

It still isn't nearly as bad as "Prince NON-Caspian." But I wish they had had a scene in which Ramandu himself, in addition to his daughter, appeared.

I must agree with Copperfox here. There are many things that are entirely in the realm of doing from a film stand point, but for their own reasons they chose not to. But I am also editing the series using my mac so that it becomes as close to the stories as is possible. In this I find some small solace for the devastation which comes from corporate greed.

I do like the scene where Eustace is sick though- to me it lends further depth into his misery onboard which help the story of his redemption, IMO.

For the first deleted scene, it was sweet and it brought a smile to my face, but I do not really think that it was that important, and I feel like not that much was lost by it being cut. It doesn't matter too much either way, in my opinion, whether it was there or not.

The second one with Eustace being sick, I would have preferred they didn't cut. I feel like it does add depth to Eustace's misery on board ship, it does prepare the viewer to feel sympathy for him later on, and the way he says Lucy's name suggests that he really isn't all bad. He's reaching out to her because he feels broken, and that is a good start to his redemption, in my opinion. The scene is also fairly short and VotD movie not that long, so I feel like it could have easily been left in.

The mutiny scene I actually like. It would have been good to see that the men did really struggle with the voyage and wanted to go home. Seeing Caspian and Drinian interact with the men in that moment was also interesting. I think it would have added a nice conflict, so it's kind of sad it wasn't included.

Caspian's doubt scene I like. I do see doubt as being something that Caspian struggles against in PC and VotD, so it would have been neat if the movie chose to highlight that a bit more. Sometimes I think movies want to focus too much on external conflict rather than internal conflict.

Caspian's doubt scene I like. I do see doubt as being something that Caspian struggles against in PC and VotD, so it would have been neat if the movie chose to highlight that a bit more. Sometimes I think movies want to focus too much on external conflict rather than internal conflict.

Yes, I agree. Caspian does have some doubt issues. As all of us have once in a while. Would be nice if this scene had been in the film.

Wow, I still don't own this movie.

I have to admit when I watch the dvd, I always skip Narrow Haven, which I wasn't very happy about.
Except for the fight. :D And I skip a couple of other scenes also. That's a good thing about DVDs, watching the good parts and skipping the rest.
Well, tell us if you find it in a 5$ bin. :)

I still wonder about the mutiny scene. Where do you all think they meant it to be in the film?

Yes, I agree. Caspian does have some doubt issues. As all of us have once in a while. Would be nice if this scene had been in the film.

I still wonder about the mutiny scene. Where do you all think they meant it to be in the film?

Exactly. Caspian's doubts are one of the reasons why I like him so much as a character. It's great to see him overcome them in the books, and they make him feel more human. I wish that this scene could have been included in the film, but at least I get to see it in the deleted scenes.

I feel like the mutiny scene was meant to take place before the arrival at Ramandu's island, because Caspian in his doubt scene mentions how they almost faltered in finding the island, and, to me, it would make sense if the mutiny explains their almost faltering, but I might be reading too much into things.

Exactly. Caspian's doubts are one of the reasons why I like him so much as a character. It's great to see him overcome them in the books, and they make him feel more human. I wish that this scene could have been included in the film, but at least I get to see it in the deleted scenes.

I feel like the mutiny scene was meant to take place before the arrival at Ramandu's island, because Caspian in his doubt scene mentions how they almost faltered in finding the island, and, to me, it would make sense if the mutiny explains their almost faltering, but I might be reading too much into things.

This could indeed work. I'm personally not so fond of the mutiny scene, because I feel Caspian comes across as rather weak. On the other hand there IS tension among the crew members in the book, many don't want to sail further east. So for this reason it could have been in the film.

Yes, Caspian is a very likeable character, my favourite human character. :) The way he overcomes his weaknesses is indeed inspiring.

This could indeed work. I'm personally not so fond of the mutiny scene, because I feel Caspian comes across as rather weak. On the other hand there IS tension among the crew members in the book, many don't want to sail further east. So for this reason it could have been in the film.

Yes, Caspian is a very likeable character, my favourite human character. :) The way he overcomes his weaknesses is indeed inspiring.

Yeah, Caspian does come across as more weak than he needs to, especially because I felt like he handled the sailors who didn't want to go on to the World's End very effectively in the book. He didn't force them to go, but he made it seem like such an honor to go and such an insult not to be invited that he got them all volunteering to go in the end:D

I guess I like the decision to showcase Caspian's doubts, but I don't think that his doubts should make him seem weak or ineffective, because I don't see him as ever being a weak or ineffective person. I think he is strong despite his doubts.

I love Caspian a lot, too. The way he overcomes his weaknesses is truly inspiring, and as a reader of the Narnia books, I also liked how we got to see him as an older man still serving Aslan faithfully. I always appreciated seeing all the different stages of his growth in his relationship with Aslan, so long live King Caspian:D

I love Caspian a lot, too. The way he overcomes his weaknesses is truly inspiring, and as a reader of the Narnia books, I also liked how we got to see him as an older man still serving Aslan faithfully. I always appreciated seeing all the different stages of his growth in his relationship with Aslan, so long live King Caspian:D

Indeed, long live King Caspian! :)

It's a pity they cut out the scene, where Eustace is sick, and Lucy tries to help him. Will Poulter was brilliant as Eustace, and is also good here. This would also show Lucy as the helpful and caring character she is. And the scene is in the book.

In order to not loose those, who have read the books, it's important that there's more in the film that they recognise than new stuff. This scene where Eustace is sick is perhaps a small one, not all important to the story. It's still a scene I remember from the book, and details like this one are important, so we feel it's the same story as in the book. Especially when things like the green mist and the seven swords are added. I feel that recognisable details become more important with big additions like these! What do the rest of you think about this?

I feel that in both PC and VDT too little attention was paid to details from the books. I still like the films, though. ;)

Indeed, long live King Caspian! :)

It's a pity they cut out the scene, where Eustace is sick, and Lucy tries to help him. Will Poulter was brilliant as Eustace, and is also good here. This would also show Lucy as the helpful and caring character she is. And the scene is in the book.

In order to not loose those, who have read the books, it's important that there's more in the film that they recognise than new stuff. This scene where Eustace is sick is perhaps a small one, not all important to the story. It's still a scene I remember from the book, and details like this one are important, so we feel it's the same story as in the book. Especially when things like the green mist and the seven swords are added. I feel that recognisable details become more important with big additions like these! What do the rest of you think about this?

I feel that in both PC and VDT too little attention was paid to details from the books. I still like the films, though. ;)

It really was disappointing that they cut out the scene where Eustace is sick. As you say, it is one of those details from the books that viewers familiar with the story will look for and appreciate seeing. I also felt like it showed Lucy's character, added some depth to Eustace's misery aboard ship (perhaps even allowing some people to sympathize a bit with Eustace for the first time) and it also provided the first hint of Eustace's possible redemption, because, finally, he comes across as reaching out to someone (Lucy) in vulnerability. Will Poulter's acting was very good in that scene, and I think he made a brilliant Eustace. It's a hard role for a young actor to play, but he exceeded my expectations by a lot:D His acting was one of the better parts of VotD, in my opinion.

I agree that if moviemakers don't want to lose the members of the audience who have read the book they are adapting, they should incorporate more details from the text than new scenes/information. I'm not opposed to all changes--since sometimes different media can tell the same story and information in a different way--but I don't like changes for the sake of change. The goal should be to remain true to the original story and its essence.

I also think that if moviemakers don't have time for the little details that remain true to the story, they shouldn't have time to invent major plot points wholesale. I get frustrated when someone seems to want to publish their own story under somebody else's title:D

The main reason I like the movie version of LWW better than the films of PC and VotD is precisely because I felt that LWW did a much better job of remaining true to Lewis' original story and its essence than PC or VotD did.

Back