Who do you think will win the Console war?

Sir Godfrey

Pelegrin Crucis
After having a full year head start, Microsoft's Xbox 360 has taken the lead in the next gen war. But with the release of Sony's Playstation 3 and Nintendo's Wii, will Microsoft's Xbox 360 be able to keep the lead or will it fall behind?

Sony PlayStation 3:

Sony's PS3 is the most expensive at $500-600, because it includes a standard hard drive, a high definition Blu-ray optical drive, HD video output, Bluetooth wireless controllers, and--in the premium version--WiFi wireless networking.

Sony is setting up the PS3 as a PC alternative. The premium model has a memory card reader for not only Sony’s own Memory Stick but also--in what must be an incredible first for the company--Compact Flash and SD memory cards, making the PS3 a digital hub for photos; with a USB keyboard and mouse and the included web browser, it can serve as a basic PC.

Sony originally announced plans to ship the PS3 with Linux pre-installed, but currently user installation of "another operating system" is only a boot option. Use of another OS isn’t currently supported by Sony, and would of course need to be specially designed to work on the PS3’s specialized Cell processor architecture.

The PS3 is also the new HD core of Sony’s modern take on the stereo system, offering 5.1 Dolby Digital Surround and true 1080p high definition video playback from prerecorded Blu-ray movies.

Microsoft Xbox 360:

Introduced last winter, Microsoft’s Xbox 360 is $300-400, uses a standard DVD optical drive, and only includes a hard drive and wireless game controller in its premium version. Microsoft recently updated the 360 to provide support for full HD, 1080p video output to match the PS3.

Rather than positioning the Xbox 360 as a standalone PC alternative, Microsoft pairs it with its plans for Windows Media Center, allowing the 360 to be used as a media extender to stream music and movies from a central Media Center PC.

Microsoft has plans to offer HD movie playback both with an optional HD-DVD player in an external box, and over the web through its online Xbox Live video store.

However, the Xbox 360's optional, external HD-DVD player is $200, pushing the 360 up to the same price as the PS3. Further, the $300 core Xbox 360 systems can’t use Microsoft's online video store because they don't have the required hard drive to save downloaded movies.

Nintendo Wii:

The Wii is the least expensive of the three at $250, and includes both Bluetooth for wireless controllers and a DVD drive, but will not be able to play DVD movies. It also lacks a hard drive. Instead, the Wii focuses on physically involving games using the wireless Wii Remote paired with the accessory Nunchuk controller.

The Wii Remote uses accelerometers to sense how players swing, point, and tilt the controller, encouraging game titles to incorporate activity.

The Wii will also wirelessly connect to Nintendo's DS portable game system, using its microphone and touchscreen as inputs for Wii games.

While the Wii has no movie store, Nintendo has an online store that sells classic games from the Nintendo 64 and other previous game consoles.

Last edited:
I hate all these new consoles. Like Wii, Xbox 360 and such. Now they're not gonna make any kool games for 'lil old Gamecube! :(

Not true, Nintendo is still making games for the Cube including The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess which comes out December 12th.

I was reading a magazine about all three they were talking about the pros and cons.They also sell all three at my mother's job,she wants to buy one for us.

The Protagonist said:
I lol at you fanboys.
Lol, that made a laugh.. Don't know why.
Maybe I wasn't expecting it.

Ah, I have both Wii and PS3 now. I am anti microsoft's 360.
Right now, I would place Wii infront of the PS3 with the great
launch title- Legend of Zelda, and later on Super Smash Bros
Brawl and all the classic Mario games, plus a new installment
of the Metroid Prime series. But in the "long run", (let's just
forget about 360 right now) the PS3 will survive longer. I have
no doubts about it.

The hardware itself is a masterpiece, its everything anyone
would need right now. The release games are terrible, I'll admit.
But look a bit in the future, we will have the famous (and my
personal favorite, Final Fantasy series- Final Fantasy XIII (vs).
The trailer looks amazing by the way. As well as the other
PS titles, Metal Gear, Tekken, which are all great games. The
price is a different matter.

I have both, currently playing with Wii. Legend of Zelda.

I own the Xbox 360 and I must say I like it the best. I've played the Wii and PS3 and I wasn't real impressed. The PS3 feels like the PS2 and I forsee no impressive games in it's future. The Wii is intresting with it's uniqe controller, but I was dispointed with how it's used. After playing them all, I found the 360 to be the best. It's controller is solid, awsome line up of games, Xbox Live Marketplace, reasonable price, and the best upcoming games (Halo 3). If you want the best of both worlds then buy a xbox 360 and a Nintendo Wii, don't fork up $600 for PS3 that has hardly any good games. However If you must only get one console this Christmas pick up the Xbox 360.

update:

I'm getting a Nintendo Wii for Christmas. I just want it to play the classics and to play my old Cube games. However I do hope they release soem awsome games. I'll give more detailed info on the Wii once I get it on Christmas day.

Last edited:
Back