A Child's Reaction

kisha

Okay...so I went this Saturday to the movie again--time 12--the people at the ticket booth snicker good naturedly at this when I walk back to the theatre.....

I was surprised at the number of the people in the theatre. There were (yes, I counted 53 people there including myself), and many of them were children.

One child caught my attention. He was this chubby, sweet, impish looking little boy sitting on his Dad's lap. He was only perhaps only four or five years old. He never spoke a word...never moved.....until he saw Aslan.

Every time he saw Aslan (except for a couple times, and I'm getting to that in a second) he let out this huge, "ROOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!" To which, most of us would turn and look at this little kid....who was pointing to the Lion, grinning ear to ear and bouncing up and down on his Dad's lap.

Then something happened...

Aslan walks up the stone table steps.....

The little boy roars......expecting his hero to roar at the creatures surrounding him....

When the roar doesn't come, and Aslan sees the knife....(here I'm watching both the movie and the little boy) The boy turns to his dad....confused....

Then Otmin pokes Aslan and he snarls ......

The little boy is apparently happy at this.....and roars....

Only in the next moment to fall completely silent and still as Otmin knocks Aslan over by a blow to the face. The boy covers his mouth with his hands and turns and looks at his Dad...once more unsure why this big, hero lion of his isn't roaring. The boy is completely still as Aslan is tied and muzzled. Then he starts crying when they start cutting his mane......He covered his eyes when the witch kills Aslan.

He kept looking at his dad after that. His dad whispered that the Lion was dead....to which the boy shook his head and cried.

Now I was thinking...man....that little kid is quite...a bit too young for this....maybe it's too much for him....then, I got caught up in the battle....

Next thing I knew ....they were showing the table cracked, and when Aslan appears over the stone archway above the table....

you guess it.....

The lion doesn't roar at that moment, but the little boy roars....and every single person in there jumps. I turn and look at the boy who not only pointing and roaring, but saying....look dad...look...look.....it's the Lion!

*grins*

I won't forget that little boy....he reminds me of my first reaction to Aslan when I first read the books.....someday, he'll perhaps understand the truth about Aslan's character, and it might have him pointing to another Hero.

Kisha

Oh, that is so sweet. I am pleased that no one tried to quiet him or turned around and shushed him, because that would just ruin the point of the story. Too many people are so caught up in things that they don't take time to stop and smell the roses. It's just in the theatre, out the theatre. Okay, that task is done.

Thanks for sharing that, it made my day.

Speaking of reactions, I took a girl I know to see LWW. She was on the edge of her seat the entire time. When Lucy first steps into Narnia she gasped and kept telling me how beautiful it was. Whenever a tense moment came she was begging me to tell her if she was alright. She sobbed, literally, when Aslan died, and started insisting that Edmund couldn't be dead when the witch stabbed him. But the best part was when they are on the frozen river and Susan is scared and keeps telling Peter to listen to Maugrim. My friend was screaming at the screen, "Shut up, Shut up! Don't drop it, he'll kill you." (Luckily there weren't many people there.) I thought it was great to see someone so into the movie.
Oh, and did I mention that this friend is 25? Guess there are adults who can love a movie that much too. And now she's reading the rest of the books. Yeah!

That was beautiful. It almost made me cry. I honestly wish that sometimes, we could all go back to when we looked at the world with new eyes and hope and love and belief that anything is, in fact, possible.

Let's all try.

RRRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That was a lovely little story, thanks for sharing it with us!

On one of my visit's to see it i took along my 10 year old cousin, when i asked him he said "Im not seeing that, its for kids" but his mother made him go with me and he hardly moved during the whole movie, he loved it! :D

"
Speaking of reactions, I took a girl I know to see LWW. She was on the edge of her seat the entire time. When Lucy first steps into Narnia she gasped and kept telling me how beautiful it was. Whenever a tense moment came she was begging me to tell her if she was alright. She sobbed, literally, when Aslan died, and started insisting that Edmund couldn't be dead when the witch stabbed him. But the best part was when they are on the frozen river and Susan is scared and keeps telling Peter to listen to Maugrim. My friend was screaming at the screen, "Shut up, Shut up! Don't drop it, he'll kill you." (Luckily there weren't many people there.) I thought it was great to see someone so into the movie.
Oh, and did I mention that this friend is 25? Guess there are adults who can love a movie that much too. And now she's reading the rest of the books. Yeah!"

Hehe, those are the best people to see a movie with (as long as you're ok to get embarassed and if you've seen the movie already:p) I know a few people like that. They're hilarious to watch.

I went with a youth group to see Narnia, and when Edmund stepped on Maugrim she SCREAMED. Then for about a minute afterwards she was breathing heavily and looking down, away from the screen. xD Then she went on saying "Oh my..." until after the scene :p

That was such a sweet swet story! And the rest are intereting too. When we took the students at my school, they all sat there spellbound through the entire thing! And that is really surprising considering the majority of them couldn't see the screen. The sighted teachers described the action to the impth degree though so that they (and us teachers with vision impairments as well) could get a better idea of what was taking place.

Back