Conference: How to Read and Write Like an Inkling

Benisse

Perelandrian
Staff member
Royal Guard
I just heard about this retreat, "How to Read and Write LIke an Inkling." March 5-7, 2023, in Southern California sponsored jointly by Northwind Institute/NORTHWIND Advances, and by the Southern California C. S. Lewis Society SOCALLEWIS.Org. Keynote speakers: Diana Pavlac Glyer, Ph.D; Dr. Terry Glaspey, DSMin; Dr. Michael J. Christensen, Ph.D; Dr. James Prothero, Ph.D. Evening sessions are open to the public ($10 admission cost).

Event description from Northwind: Join us on March 5-7 at Azusa Pacific University (in Azusa, near Los Angeles) to view The Inklings Collection and The Barfield Family Collection at the APU Library special collections and Exhibit APU Inklings Collection. • Gain new reading and writing skills • Learn how to write a publishable manuscript • Understand the difference between academic and popular writing and publishing For good readers and aspiring writers who want to learn how to read and write like an Inkling.
St. Luke's Inkling Window.png
Inklings stained glass window by Marc Burckhard at St. Luke's Episcopal Church, which will be the site of the 3/5/2023 opening plenary.

Something like forty-five years ago, way before the internet, the Mythopoeic Society held a similar event someplace, called "A Kinship of Dancers." They invited people to submit papers which could be read aloud at the event. So I wrote a paper about how characters in heroic fantasy faced the necessity of sometimes FIGHTING SOMEBODY in order to protect civilization and innocent people.

One of the organizers wrote me a rejection letter, insisting that all of the Inklings were pacifists who would never have accepted the concept of a justified war. Say what??

Sounds like they never read any of their works!

Too bad that this is too far away, too soon and costs money. (And AFAICT not streamed) or, I would go.

Eva Walsh, widow of Lewis' friend Chad Walsh, actually taught at my college in Illinois in the Seventies. The Vietnam War was on at the time...... and Mrs. Walsh SIDED WITH THE COMMUNISTS. You never know about people.

Back