Help needed with Narnia question!

Well, in the book it's King Peter the Magnificent, Queen Susan the Gentle, King Edmund the Just, and Queen Lucy the Valiant. If you want the stuff that was added into the movie (e.g. "To the clear northern sky..."), you'll have to get that from the DVD or someone who knows. In the book the implication is that they earned these names from their subjects over time rather than being given them upon coronation.

Actually, that depends on your version. In the original versions released in America, he was called Sir Peter Fenris-bane, since the wolf was Fenris Ulf.

It was interesting how the wolves had American accents...that's beside the point though.

I got this off a site: 'Glistening eastern sea, I give you Queen Lucy the Valiant; to the great western wood I give you Edmund the Just; to the radiant southern sun I give you Susan the Gentle; and to the clear northern sky I give you Peter the Magnificent.'

sounds right, I'll check the DVD as soon as I can though...

His Royal Majesty High King Peter, by the Grace of Aslan King of Narnia and Chatelain of the Lone Isles, Soverign of the Order of the Great Lion and Wolf's Bane.

His Royal Majesty King Edmund, by the Grace of Aslan King of Narnia, Knight Grand Cross of the Order of the Great Lion.

Her Royal Majesty Queen Susan, by the Grace of Aslan Queen of Narnia, Dame Consort of the Order of the Great Lion.

Her Royal Majesty Queen Lucy, by the Grace of Aslan Queen of Narnia, Dame Consort of the Order of the Great Lion.

Where did that come from Chakal?

I liked the wolves with their non-British accents. Who was Fenris Ulf's voice? That was classic ...

I think he made it up :D Peter wouldn't have been chatelain of the Lone Islands - maybe Cair Paravel, but not the Islands. Chatelain (or Chatelaine, if a woman) was the master or mistress of a castle. Due to lords being off at court or other places, often the women ended up with the role, and it was one of tremendous power.

Actually, you can see some of the official titles in Caspian, where Peter dicates the letter to Dr. Cornelius. He lists some of them in the greeting.

Inky said:
I liked the wolves with their non-British accents. Who was Fenris Ulf's voice? That was classic ...
OOOPS, I mean Maugrim's voice. It sounded like Dennis Hopper ...
Oh, Chakal fooled me with those titles!

Queen Lucy the Valiant, King Edmund the Just, King Peter the Magnificient, and Queen Lucy the Gentle...

lol I have watched the movie like 20 times

PrinceOfTheWest said:
Actually, that depends on your version. In the original versions released in America, he was called Sir Peter Fenris-bane, since the wolf was Fenris Ulf.
But in the book he's called Wolfsbane, and you should always follow the book. And why did they change the name of the wolf?

Jimmy Kickarse said:
But in the book he's called Wolfsbane, and you should always follow the book. And why did they change the name of the wolf?
Well, in this case it's a question of which version of the book to follow. When Lewis published the Chronicles, he had two publishers, one in England and one in America. Between the time he authorized the English publisher's version and the time he authorized the American version, he made some minor changes in the text. Changing Maugrim's name to Fenris Ulf was one of them, but the greatest change is in Dawn Treader at the end of the chapter The Dark Island.

So for years, there were two versions being maintained, one on each side of the Atlantic. What you saw depended on what version you got. In our area, all you had to do was cross the border - in Canada they sold the British version, just as they sell the British version of the Harry Potter books today.

In 1993, McMillan had picked up the rights to the Chronicles and decided to standardize on a single version. They chose the British version, and have published that as the sole version ever since. Thus, if you buy a copy today (like the thick all-in-one version I got at Meijer), it's the British version. But if you happened to have bought an American version before 1993, you get the slightly modified text.

I styled the titles after the British custom because King Frank would have used British custom in referring to himself.

Frank I Rex D. Gr. Narnia et Islas Seq., Ordo Mag. Leoni Reg.

John B.

PrinceOfTheWest said:
Well, in this case it's a question of which version of the book to follow. When Lewis published the Chronicles, he had two publishers, one in England and one in America. Between the time he authorized the English publisher's version and the time he authorized the American version, he made some minor changes in the text. Changing Maugrim's name to Fenris Ulf was one of them, but the greatest change is in Dawn Treader at the end of the chapter The Dark Island.

So for years, there were two versions being maintained, one on each side of the Atlantic. What you saw depended on what version you got. In our area, all you had to do was cross the border - in Canada they sold the British version, just as they sell the British version of the Harry Potter books today.

In 1993, McMillan had picked up the rights to the Chronicles and decided to standardize on a single version. They chose the British version, and have published that as the sole version ever since. Thus, if you buy a copy today (like the thick all-in-one version I got at Meijer), it's the British version. But if you happened to have bought an American version before 1993, you get the slightly modified text.

What is the difference in those two versions? I only have the US version, so I am curious.

SusanoftheSouthernSun said:
What is the difference in those two versions? I only have the US version, so I am curious.

In the US version there were some more references to Norse mythology: Maugrim became the Fenris Ulf (so Peter was Peter Fenris-bane instead of Wolf's-bane) and the "fire-stones on the secret hill" became the World Ash Tree. The major change in VDT was in the escape from the dark island. In the British version the crew laugh at their fear when they're back in the daylight and the island disappears, whereas in the US version the island remains and there is a new passage describing the crew's joy at escaping, and they talk much more seriously and fearfully about the island even after leaving it. Lewis added this because he felt that the original version took the horrors of nightmares and night fears too lightly, having himself suffered enough from night fears to know that they weren't to be laughed at.

Also, to contribute to the answers to the original question of titles: I don't believe I've seen it mentioned that Peter is a knight of the Most Noble Order of the Lion, and Edmund is a knight of the Noble Order of the Table.

Lachesis said:
Also, to contribute to the answers to the original question of titles: I don't believe I've seen it mentioned that Peter is a knight of the Most Noble Order of the Lion, and Edmund is a knight of the Noble Order of the Table.
Look in Prince Caspian, where Peter is dictating to Dr. Cornelius.

Back