home schooling or public schooling

bree

this is a thread on if YOU would to have liked to have been public schooled or hoe schooled:confused: if this is too personal i am trully sorry:eek:

Although we've already had a thread about homeschooling, I'll gladly reply to this one. For myself, public school wasn't too bad, but I did have some STUPID teachers, like a highschool English teacher who literally knew LESS about proper English usage than I knew at age fifteen! Later, my first (now deceased) wife homeschooled our daughter for three years, and our daughter definitely benefitted by it intellectually.

The claim that homeschooled kids don't know how to mingle with other people, or that they don't get any chance to mingle, is false. My daughter had plenty of same-age friends during the years she was homeschooled.

Shameless-plug time: I urge those who have never looked at it, to read my on-forum novel, "The First Love of Alipang Havens," which depicts a brother and sister going to high school for the first time after years of homeschooling.

thanks for the post hey have ever herd of the west michagan northern lights home school band- maching band im in it

I've never been homeschooled before but I've attended public school for the past 11 years and have to agree that there are some rather stupid teachers. Last year I had a science teacher that knew less about biology than I did in 7th grade so I hardly benefited from his course. I would have say though that the worst thing about public schools is how various teaching methods work for some students but not for all. I've been in several classes where I've been unable to learn the subject with one teacher but was able to master it with another and that seems to greatly effect students.

But I think that the good thing about public schools is that students get more exposure to the real world, because there are so many different people and aspects play apart of the schooling.

oh its tons of fun and it was started a while back by my frends the marches! yes there last name is march and if you would like to see them they have website;)

wild rose ive been home schooled all my life and i live in michagan and i have frends in zion IL and plenty here in michagan

I was in regular school from kindergarten to 4th grade and then homeschooled/cyberschooled from 5th-8th (I'm still in 8th though :D) and in the two years I've been cyberschooled I've learned alot. I've learned about the real world too and I don't like it. I'm going back to regular school for Highschool and I'm starting to dread going back. And there are stupid teachers in my cyberschool too, like my math teacher who can't explain things well and who sounds like he really doesn't care if we learn the stuff or not.

this is a thread on if YOU would to have liked to have been public schooled or hoe schooled:confused: if this is too personal i am trully sorry:eek:

home school is not good for a young child self esteem, and pubic schools are good in the right place if your in a large city there will be touble and if gangs are around, if your in a rich school kids don't know better and pick on kid till the kids dies of a prank or by his own hands. find a nice little home in the suburns of a city right outside of the township and you'll find a school there that is perfect.

Schools are like families...some are The Nelsons, others are The Simpsons, the worst are like The Mansons.

That being said, when I was growing up public schools paws down. But these days ... sheesh!

I was homeschooled and private schooled. Like Copperfox was saying, there are many misconceptions about homeschooling. i had a great social life, can fend for myself, and had a healthy self-esteem. As far as the real world, even homeschoolers get exposed to it. haha we do live in it after all. ;)
I for one, am all for homeschooling my kids (especially with the way the school system is morally degrading these days). Oh, and i wasnt just homeschooled, i did attend a private school after eighth grade and am now in college doing just fine.
However, there are times, like with any school system, when homeschooling is not prefered. Lets face it, some families (due to parents and kids) are not cut out for homeschooling because of the way their family structure works and interacts. However, for the most part, homeschooling can be a very healthy and educational experience :D

Of course some parents lack the time, or lack the talent, to school their own kids. But as long as even SOME kids are homeschooled, their clearly superior average academic performance will be an asset for society.

I have to point out the one large misconceptioin about public school: Although students that are homeschooled are often smarted than those that attend public that isn't always the case. I would to say what causes the lack of intelligance in a public school is the lack of pressure put on the students. Alot of my classmates don't care because they aren't pressured to do well. Yet despite that there are plunty of intelligant public school students who have never been homeschooled before in their life. In fact a friend of mine is now taking private studies in math because she was able to take a calculas course her freshman year of highschool. If public school students had more pressure at home as well as school they would most likely do far better in their acedemics, but because of their familys caring so little they don't bother with focusing on their students.

Yet over all I would have to actually partically agree that homeschooled students are far more intelligant than their publically schooled counterparts.

Yes, haha i agree, there are smart kids in public school and others who would be were they more influenced to be so...
At the moment, I am nerdely reading a book called "Teaching the Digital Generation" which talks about how the public school system is a bit behind the times and how it is not doing its job to motivate students or prepare them for the future work-world. Its really interesting reading a good secular source by people who come from the public school system. :)
As a possible future teacher, it is interesting to see what works and what doesnt quite work.

I have to see if my local library has that book, because I plan to be a teacher in a public school one day if all goes according to plan.

There are alot of things that could be different in public schools that would make better out comes for the students. Just recently I read an article about how government officials are thinking about increasing the required amount of time that public schools must hold class in the US. Although I could see that as a problem I could also see it benefitting students. There are so many little things that could help public school students get to the same level that mny homeschooled students are already at.

Oh, I never said that a public school innately COULD NOT turn out a brilliant student; but in actual practice, they mostly DON'T. And my own tutoring experience AT public schools confirms that in many cases the schools ARE NOT EVEN TRYING.

Oh, I never said that a public school innately COULD NOT turn out a brilliant student; but in actual practice, they mostly DON'T. And my own tutoring experience AT public schools confirms that in many cases the schools ARE NOT EVEN TRYING.

Oh. Sorry about that then Copperfox.

I have to agree with you that they're even trying. Very few teachers bother to push students towards good grades, most of them worry more about sports than grades. I have to say that it a shame that teachers are so worried about altheletics(sp?) and not about how intelligent their students are, which in all reality are the future of this nation.

Some of the trouble comes from higher up--from textbook authors, for instance. In my tutoring days, I encountered a fifth-grade history textbook which intentionally distorted well-verified facts. Referring to the Communist takeover of Cuba, it said that thousands of Cubans fled from Cuba "because they DID NOT LIKE the new government."

There are times when an understatement is so outrageous that it is the same thing as a deliberate lie. That textbook writer was PURPOSELY hiding from the students the indisputable FACT that Fidel Castro was a tyrant and a mass murderer. Thus, not only are public-school students poorly taught, in some cases they are intentionally taught falsehoods.

LOL yes true, Joe.

Olorin would despise my college-level grammer book from last semester that said in the intro that basically, though it taught grammer, however one used grammer is correct because of how it applys to their culture etc... ah postmodernism *forced grin*:)

Back