Least Favorite movie

Any movie which claims that LUKE SKYWALKER would become a useless, moping loser, is my total ANTI-favorite.

And if anyone says, "But we don't want heroes to be IMPOSSIBLY PERFECT." my answer is that Luke Skywalker already spent three whole movies NOT being impossibly perfect. There was no need to take him from there straight to being a useless loser.

Wow, this was so long ago.I am still not a fan of An Inconvenient Truth. I am very chosey about what I watch so I am not sure that have watched anything worse since.

I am still not a fan of "An Inconvenient Truth."

Yeah, considering how our northern ice cap was predicted to be completely gone by 2014, that sales pitch wore out its welcome.

Although I loved the Gail Carson Levine's book Ella Enchanted, I really was turned off by its campy, disastrous translation to film :(

"The LEAST Jedi" had exactly NOTHING good about it. This travesty's defenders pretend that it was "avoiding" the "terrible problem" of a hero (Luke) being depicted as "impossibly perfect." But Luke had NEVER AT ANY TIME FOR A SINGLE INSTANT been seen as impossibly perfect. He got blindsided by a Tusken in his first movie, blindsided by a snow monster in his second movie, and blindsided by being dropped into a dungeon in his third movie. The "impossibly perfect" Gary Stu never was there at all.

But the impossibly perfect MARY SUE is definitely there in every Rey movie..... while they made Luke into a useless quitter.

"The LEAST Jedi" had exactly NOTHING good about it. This travesty's defenders pretend that it was "avoiding" the "terrible problem" of a hero (Luke) being depicted as "impossibly perfect." But Luke had NEVER AT ANY TIME FOR A SINGLE INSTANT been seen as impossibly perfect. He got blindsided by a Tusken in his first movie, blindsided by a snow monster in his second movie, and blindsided by being dropped into a dungeon in his third movie. The "impossibly perfect" Gary Stu never was there at all.

But the impossibly perfect MARY SUE is definitely there in every Rey movie..... while they made Luke into a useless quitter.
THANK YOU! Fact is, by the time of the sequel trilogy it had originally been George Lucas' intention that Luke would be more like a King Arthur figure returning when the galaxy needed him most ( which we saw utilized perfectly in the season 2 finale of the Mandalorian). Luke was supposed to be the Arthur to Anakin's Uther or the Aragorn to Anakin's Isildur and succeed where his father had failed. Now, did King Arthur make mistakes? Abundantly so. That thing with Lancelot and Guinevere comes to mind. That other thing with Mordred. But the point is, if Arthur were to return you can bet he'd wouldn't need to learn those lessons because he already had those under his belt .Now he's become the figure of legend.

Very few modern people realize that the most familiar King Arthur narrative was made up by Normans, and reflected THEIR cynicism. The real Arthur-- and yes, he actually did exist-- had a completely SUCCESSFUL marriage with Guinevere.

Degrading revisionism greatly predates Kathleen Kennedy and Rian Johnson.

Fair point.

That said, if they had bothered to ask my advice on the Last Jedi ( which they didn't) and considering the whole "Map to find Luke Skywalker" plot thread from The Force Awakens, what I would have done is take that page from the Arthur myths and have Kylo Ren, like Sir Mordred, deal Luke a mortal would and have him taken to Ach-to to recover until the time of the galaxy's greatest need. And instead of the generic store brand version of the Empire, Kylo would have thrown his lot in with the Darth Maul's Crimson Dawn.

The other problem with Last Jedi that I had became more noticeable when I was rewatching Space Balls. Last Jedi felt like it was Space balls 2: the Search for More Money except with out the irony. Like Dark Helmet worked as a parody of Vader because the irony was he wasn't tall and emposing. Vespa worked as a parody of Leia because she was a sterotypical princess. Scroob worked as a parody of Palpatine because he was bumbling and inept. Difference being in a good parody, like Space Balls, the actors play those roles straight, and the humor is never at the expense of the characters. In Last Jedi, most of the humorous moments felt like they were at the expense of the characters. ( Poe prank calling Hux, Finn bonking his head, Luke tossing aside the lightsaber, Luke milking the sea cow...)

Now changing topics, my least favorite movie...I have to go with Lightyear. Thankfully I saw it in a free preview screening. Now setting aside *THAT* controversial moment, the movie was just plane boring. None of the characters were that interesting, and Buzz, who was always meant to be a parody of the likes of Han Solo, James T. Kirk, Green Lantern Hal Jordan, Flash Gordon, Buck Rogers and John Carter of Mars, lacked that swashbuckling quality. This was billed as the movie that Andy in Toy Story saw in 1995 that made him want a Buzz Lightyear, but unfortunately it felt far to "heady and cerebral" for what I assumed was an 8 year old boy to love, and not at all like the Star Wars/Star Trek merchandise heavy IP it should have been. Can kids enjoy "smart" space movies? Of course, I fell in love with the movie Apollo 13 when I was in fifth grade, but the difference was that Apollo 13 was based on real events. And, at least when I was a kid, there was still that residual iconoclasm for the American Astronaut in the cultural psyche. I could even venture to guess that back in the 60s there were ten year olds who enjoyed Planet of the Apes. That was well directed, well acted, had a compelling story, and the twist ending still packs a punch. But, a slow moving movie, with a bunch of bland and uninteresting characters, a confusing plot, a half-baked villain and a weak twist?

To quote the nine year old boy sitting infront of me at my showing of Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice when the house lights went back on and the credits rolled, "That movie was boring."

Contrast Lightyear with the forgotten Buzz Lightyear of Star Command Series from the late 90s early 2000s, and the difference is obvious. I thought that Booster Munchopper, Princess Mira Nova,and the droid XR were fun, interesting and memorable characters. The stories felt like fun sci-fi parodies of familiar properties, and Buzz felt like a homage to the classic swashbuckling sci-fi heroes. I could picture a kid wanting the whole collection of Buzz Lightyear toys from that series, in the same way they want heroes from Star Wars or Star Trek. Now, with the Lightyear movie, here it is, a year later, and those toys are still warming the pegs and not even a deep discount can move them.

Last edited:
Back