Movies AND Series?

Specter

Meeting the World
Staff member
Knight of the Noble Order
Royal Guard
What do you suppose this means?

They said they'd be doing both movies and series.

I'm hoping this means they'll do what each book calls for... if a book can become a series, so be it, but if it only has enough content for a movie, so be it. So if, for instance, The Magician's Nephew was a movie and The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe was a series, it could work. BBC's Prince Caspian and the Voyage of the Dawn Treader merged the stories because of content length.

That said, I think this means something different..

I think this means they'll be making up new stories that take place at various places on the timeline. (A lot of people believe that they couldn't because the books were definitive with their timeline, but the books didn't cover everything that ever happened in Narnia.)

Any thoughts?

I'm pretty interested in this! I hope that they find someone who can do the stories justice and who won't remove the Christian themes.

I'm excited for this! Don't care if this is a movie or a series as long as we get something new! I'm sure the new generation will appreciate getting to know Narnia.

(Evening Star! Miss you so much!
Thanks for stopping by.)

Okay back to the topic... I don't have an opinion on having a series, since I don't do TV (although I do watch videos) it is kind of a moot point. However, I am really interested in your opinions ;)

I haven't heard this news yet, so I am interested in finding out more in the future. However, I think it would make an interesting series, one that I would not be offened in seeing. I believe Netflix, from what I can tell, held very close to the text for "A Series of Unfortunate Events." If they went with that model, I believe it could be a major success. Some of the stories themselves were episodic anyways it felt. Plus, I am just interested in seeing more Narnia things. We have been so flooded with Super Heros and Starwars (Those are not all completely bad), but it would be refreshing to see someone come to a point to be able to make these. Now, if they pull a "Wrinkle in Time" stunt where they change so many things and core values within the story that is completely misses the intent of the author, I would revolt against a series or movie.

Ideal Plan?

I’m almost sure I’ve got the Netflix plan for Narnia figured out! It will be:

First Year:
Silver Chair film.
Series Season 1: Magicians Nephew

Second Year:
Series Season 2: Lion Witch and Wardrobe

Third Year:
Series Season 3: The Horse and His Boy
Last Battle Film

Fourth Year:
Series Season 4: Prince Caspian

Fifth Year:
Series Season 5: Voyage of the Dawn Treader.

My reasoning? They have said they wish to make feature films and a series, and Douglas Gresham has said certain books would do better as an episodic series, such as the Magicians Nephew particularly because of episodes such as the battle of Charn. Also, this way they could have all four of the books that were not adapted by Disney and Fox pumped out within the first three years, after just two films and three seasons; the ones that we as fans are most anxious to see and which Gresham is probably most anxious to see get made (plus the classic LWW as a 2nd season to hold us over in between films). Then if people are hooked at the point that the horse and his boy series wraps up and the last battle is released, Netflix can go on to do the final two seasons of the series, re-adapting PC and VDT, though these are not as essential if they decide to can the series after the HHB season and LB movie. Thoughts anyone?

This video is mostly very good. But the narrator makes an all-too-common blunder, calling the Chronicles an "allegory." No, no, no!!! Aslan is not supposed to be a hint of a symbol of a counterpart of somebody sort of like Jesus Christ. The exact point of Lewis' narrative is that, in an alternate universe, THE ACTUAL JESUS HIMSELF assumes the form of Aslan.

It's almost confusing. Which books are movies and which are series? Though it might end up being all movies.

Here's my thinking:
MN as a standalone
LWW and HHB as a pair
PC, VDT, and SC as a trilogy (I think I'd call it "The Caspian Trilogy")
LB as a standalone

They might make LB into two movies, "The Last Battle Part 1" and "The Last Battle Part 2". Yet converting the final saga into two films may not be as a popular now as it was about ten years ago.

Last edited:
That arrangement looks good. If any NEW material were approved to be added on, they REALLY REALLY should expand upon "Magician's Nephew" by using what Timbalionguy and I wrote, then use Evening Star's "Oaken Door" story to expand "Silver Chair." The latter adjustment would give "Silver Chair" enough material to stand apart from "Prince" and "Treader."

So maybe ideas for beginning of each movie-

MN- A prologue, a long with lines of The Fellowship of the Ring and the first Hobbit movie; perhaps Professor Digory Kirke narrating in V.O, the Battle of Charn, a close up shot of Jadis and her sister; Mrs. Lefay gives Andrew the box; Andrew creates the ring.

LWW- Maybe the air raids in London, the Pevensies boarding the train in London; leave a cliffhanger at the end.

HHB- Perhaps start with Eustace and Jill at Cair Paravel in SC and the blind poet tells the story of HHB in voice over.

PC- The birth of Caspian, the nurse telling Caspian of the old days.

VDT- Caspian and his crew getting ready to set sail from Cair Paravel

SC- Rilian's backstory

LB- This might be a tricky one. Maybe start with Tirian and Jewel or like the book, with Shift and Puzzle.

If movies AND a series, I'm at once alerted to what was done with the Star Wars franchise. The only problem is, the more you allow new writers to move away from the familiar things into uncharted territory, the more likely you are to get sensationally unpleasant episodes. Things in the extended Star Wars universe and the latest Star Trek franchises that take the earlier idealism and optimism of the 1960s view of the future and drag it through the mud. They went from a place of hope to a place where there is a darkness lurking behind every painted smile. And I. Hate. That.

Last edited:
If done as a series, Start with LWW. After they are coronated, it transitions to them as adults and then starts H&HB, the Pevensies are shown talking about their experiences and Professor Kirke then talks to them about his, cue TMN and return to the present where they look once again at the wardrobe.

They then go to PC, showing them a year later and then VotDT. From there, it is an easy transition to TSC and then into TLB.

The good thing is that this allows the actors to age normally without waiting too long. They could easily film the episodes with the Pevensie actors roughly a year apart, although it would be tougher with the transition between VotDT and TSC as that was only a few weeks for Eustace.

This also allows the actors to age enough for their TLB ages.

Just thought of a better transition between LWW and H&HB. It begins with a similar ending of Walden's movie with Lucy and Tumnus watching Aslan walking down the beach. They focus on Aslan start trotting and then running faster and faster until he leaps into the Ocean and helps an unknown small boat with a dead soldier and baby boy to shore where a fisherman is walking along the shore. Cue about 11 years later where Shasta is living with this same man.

While a majority of fans are dead-set on reading the series in publication order, I think there's an advantage for doing the films or series in chronological order. Here are some reasons-

1. LWW has been adapted so many times (the 1979 animated, BBC, and Walden). So starting with LWW again would turn some people off. It would be like, "Oh, this again?" However, starting with MN would be something new and fresh.

2. If for some reason Netflix doesn't make it all the through like the previous adaptions (BBC stopped after SC and Walden stopped after VDT), it would be like, "Well, at least we got MN and HHB, which we never had before."

Back