My Front Porch Looking In (Star Wars Prequel Re-write)

I'll be away from TDL until July 9. If I have time, which is doubtful, I will get on to post an update. Really sorry about this, but my online college classes started today (summer session), and the next 5 weeks are going to be loaded and fast paced for me. Everything else has to come second and third.

I'll be away from TDL until July 9. If I have time, which is doubtful, I will get on to post an update. Really sorry about this, but my online college classes started today (summer session), and the next 5 weeks are going to be loaded and fast paced for me. Everything else has to come second and third.

perfectly understandable, Summer's a busy time for me ;)

hey Aravis Kenobi, I know you're away until July 9 but I just want to say that your fan fiction is awesome. I only started reading it since a couple of days ago and I love it!
Can't wait for more:):D:)

I woke up because I didn’t feel Obi-Wan there. I opened my eyes and his side of the bed was empty, the blankets pulled neatly up under the pillow. I smiled. Obi-Wan had always made his side of the bed even if I was still asleep. I wanted to go back to sleep, but Mara’s insistent crying persuaded me to do otherwise. I found out later that Obi-Wan was in a council meeting…as usual.

“Palpatine thinks General Grievous is on Utapau?” Ki-Adi said.

“A partial message was intercepted in a diplomatic package from the Chairman of Utapau.” Anakin stated.

“Act on this, we must. The capture of General Grievous will end this war; quickly and decisively we should proceed” Yoda said, who was appearing via holographic means.

“The chancellor has requested that I lead the campaign” Anakin said. The council looked at him, all immediately making up their minds.

“The council will make up its own mind who is to go, not the Chancellor” Mace said coldly.

Yoda nodded. “A master is needed with more experience.”

“I recommend we send only one Jedi. Master Kenobi.” Mace said, looking over at Obi-Wan.

“He was not so successful the last time he met Grievous” Anakin said smugly. Obi-Wan threw him a dirty look. “No offense my Master, but I’m only stating a fact.”

“Oh no you’re quite right.” Obi-Wan replied somewhat sarcastically. “But I do have the most experience with his ways of combat.”

“I concur, Master Kenobi should go” Ki-Adi said.

“I agree” Yoda said.

“Very well, Council adjourned.” Mace replied. The holograms disappeared. “Obi-Wan, prepare two clone brigades as quickly as you can. If this report is true, there’s no telling how many droids he may have with him.”

Obi-Wan nodded his compliance and he and Anakin left together. “Anakin don’t even say it” Obi-wan said as soon as they had left the chamber.

“I’m sorry, Master.” Anakin replied, calmed down. They parted ways and Obi-Wan left to talk to Padme. *As a side note, I have never figured out why.*

Padme was very happy to see him, as she had not seen him ever since he and Anakin had left 8 months before. “Has Anakin been to see you?” He asked her once they had finished greeting each other.

“Several times. I was happy to hear he was accepted on the Jedi Council” Padme replied.

“I know, he deserves it. He is impatient, strong-willed, very opinionated, but very gifted.” Obi-Wan said, laughing. She joined in, and for a moment, regret filled her being. Had she made the right decision in marrying Anakin?

“You’re not just here to say hello. Something is wrong isn’t it?” She said, concern etched across her face and in her eyes.

They sat down on the couch. “You should be a Jedi, Padme” Obi-Wan said. She smiled.

“You are not very good at hiding your feelings, Obi-wan; especially around those you love.” She knew, or at least had guessed, about me and him. Maybe she would have been a good Jedi after all.

Obi-Wan sighed. “It’s Anakin. He’s becoming moody and detached.” *as if moody was anything new!* “He’s been put in a difficult position as the Chancellor’s representative but I think it’s more than that. I was hoping he may have talked to you?”

Padme grew a bit nervous. “Why would he talk to me about his work?”

Obi-Wan studied her carefully. “Neither of you is good at hiding your feelings.”

“Don’t give me that look” She replied, standing up.

“Padme, I know how he feels about you” Obi-Wan said, standing up as well.

“What did he say?” She turned her back to him.

He walked to her side. “Nothing. He didn’t have to.”

She became even more flustered and walked to the balcony. “I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“I know you both too well. I can see you two are in love; Padme I’m worried about him.” Obi-Wan said, touching her shoulder. She didn’t reply. “I fear your relationship has confused him. He’s changed considerably since we returned…” He trailed off as they looked out across the city. Obi-Wan turned to leave. “Padme, I’m not telling the council about any of this. I-I hope I didn’t upset you. We’re all friends and I care about both of you.”

She turned and looked at him. “Thank you Obi-Wan.”

I stopped this at an odd place, but oh well.

He smiled at her, the smile that never failed to get a smile in return. “Please do what you can to help him” and with that he left. His next and last stop of course, was to tell me goodbye. He was sure to tell me this time, because when he left 8 months before, we never got to say goodbye to each other. He knocked on the door; I had Mara with me and I waved him in. Recently privacy blinds had been installed around the windows so there was no longer a need for us to meet in the pillared hallway. “How are my girls doing?”

“We’re fine. But I think she’s wanting you” I said. I handed Mara to him and she settled against him. She was definitely a daddy’s girl. He sat down in a chair across from me.

“I got my assignment today; I am going after Grievous.” He said and he looked at me. I know he could tell what I was thinking even without looking but I think he just wanted to see the look in my eyes anyway.

“I had a feeling that you would.” I replied. I did have a feeling he would be sent but I didn’t want it to be true. He reached over and held my hand.

“Are you all right with that?” He asked.

I shook my head. “But I know that the Jedi must come first for you.” He squeezed my hand. He then let go and put Mara in her little bed I kept there for her. He made me stand up and he kissed me on the lips, pulling me to him. Our lips parted and we held each other for several minutes, knowing full well this could be the last time we’d ever see each other again.

“I should go; Anakin and my troops are waiting for me.” He said finally after several minutes’ silence. I reluctantly pulled back from him, but he caught my arms. “I will be thinking of you as I go.”

“Don’t’ let me become your distraction, Kenobi. Something you always told me is to never let anyone become a distraction in battle.” I replied with a smile. He’d think of me anyway but it never seemed to hinder him in combat.

He sighed. “At least I know someone was listening to what I was telling them.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?” I asked puzzled.

“I’ll tell you when I get back, Skywalker. I love you.” He kissed me on the forehead and hugged me quickly then left.

“I love you too, Kenobi” I whispered in reply as he walked out the door and possibly my life.

Obi-Wan and Anakin made their way along a platform where a Republic cruiser was docked not far off. “You’re going to need me on this one.” Anakin said.

“Oh, I agree. However it may turn out just to be a wild bantha chase.” Obi-Wan said in reply.

“Master…” They stopped walking. “I’ve disappointed you. I’ve not been very appreciative of your training. I’ve been arrogant, and I apologize. I’ve just been so frustrated with the Council” Anakin said.

Obi-Wan smiled faintly. “You are strong and wise Anakin and I am very proud of you. I have trained you since you were a small boy; I have taught you everything I know. And you have become a far greater Jedi than I could ever hope to be and you have saved my life more times than I can remember. But be patient, Anakin; it will not be long before the Council makes you a master.” He turned away down the ramp but seemed to remember something. “And one more thing…”

“yes?” Anakin said.

“Keep your sister safe, please?” Obi-Wan asked.

Anakin chuckled. “Don’t worry, I will keep her out of trouble.”

“She has a knack for getting into it doesn’t she?” Obi-Wan laughed. “And tell her I have enough clones with me to take three systems the size of Utapau.”

“yes Master” Anakin replied.

“I think I’ll be able to handle the situation…even without your help.” Obi-Wan said reassuringly.

“There’s always a first time” Anakin said. “May the Force be with you.”

“Goodbye, old friend. May the Force be with you” Obi-wan said and he continued onto the cruiser. It took off for a waiting fleet outside of Coruscant. As it did, Obi-Wan was briefed by Commander Cody, the clone commander.

“Fortunately most of the cities are concentrated on this small continent here…on the far side.” Cody said as they observed a holographic projection of the planet.

“I’ll keep them distracted until you get there. Just don’t take too long.” Obi-Wan replied, climbing up onto the wing of his fighter.

“Oh come on, when have I ever let you down?” Cody asked.

“Cato Neimodia…for starters” Obi-Wan said.

“That was Anakin who was late, I believe.”Cody said with a twinkle in his eyes.

Obi-Wan chuckled. “Very well; the burden is on me not to destroy all the droids before you arrive.” He sat down and the cockpit’s window closed around him. He started the engines and lifted up out of the cruiser, heading for the hyperspace ring in space. The fleet and his fighter were in hyperspace in a few seconds.

A few hours later, Obi-Wan pulled out of hyperspace while the fleet hung back a distance so as not to alert Grievous or the inhabitants. Obi-Wan guided his fighter to a nearby landing platform. The administrator, Tion Medon came to meet him.

“Greetings, young Jedi. What brings you to our remote sanctuary?” He asked.

“Unfortunately the war” Obi-Wan replied.

“There’s no war here…unless you’ve brought it with you” Tion said.

“With your kind permission, I should like some fuel; and to use your city as a base to search nearby systems for General Grievous.” Obi-Wan said. He said this because he had a feeling Grievous’ guards were watching him.

Tion turned to some aliens and ordered them to take care of Obi-Wan’s ship. He leaned closer to Obi-Wan. “He is here. We are being held hostage, they are watching us” he said anxiously.

Obi-Wan nodded. “I understand.”

“Tenth level…thousands of battle droids.” Tion said.

“Tell your people to take shelter. If you have warriors, now is the time” Obi-Wan said softly and gently.

The aliens finished as they bowed to each other and Obi-Wan went back to his fighter. He climbed in and watched the guards leave. “Take the fighter back to the ship. Tell Cody I’ve made contact” He said to the astro droid. The droid beeped and took the ship back to the cruiser. Obi-Wan used the Force to make himself invisible and he found himself in a place where there were large lizard-like creatures. He revealed himself and asked for one and took off for Grievous.

Back at the Temple, my days were slow and little happened. Occasional injuries were treated but nothing out of the ordinary. One night, I had a horrible nightmare. It was faint, but I could clearly see fire and lava, smoke and ash. Two figures were fighting in the distance. I was standing on the bank, unable to help, unable to run, unable to speak. Suddenly, the faces of the fighters rushed at me. I screamed and woke up in a cold sweat. I went to pick up Mara, who was crying, and realized my hands were cold and trembling. It was the most real nightmare I’d ever had.
The next day, though I didn’t’ realize it at the time, Obi-Wan had destroyed Grievous but he was ambushed by his clone troops. Little did I realize that the Jedi Temple itself was about to be overrun.

Back