Pride and Prejudice

Status
Not open for further replies.
OOC: Hannah, Elizabeth is smart enough that she would remember what clothes Jane and Mr. Bingley had on when she last saw them; she also ought to have seen parked outside the same carriage Mr. Bingley had rented. So she should not long be in doubt, even if she somehow can't immediately see their faces.

"Why, so it is!" Leaving sister to hail sister, Mr. Bingley instantly took thought for whether it might be possible to arrange seating so that he could also treat to lunch however many of his potential sisters-in-law were going to show up, AND have them all in conversing range.

Bingley nodded in reply to the greeting, while getting the innkeeper over to make sure things went as smoothly as possible for the suddenly enlarged party--WITHOUT inconveniencing guests who had come first. This was facilitated by an extra five-pound note finding its way from Bingley's hand into the innkeeper's pocket.

=====================================

KITTY AND LYDIA PRESUMABLY ARE HERE ALSO?

Kitty-

" Oh, Mr. Bingley I found ribbon for the ball !," she told him, with a smile.

Elizabeth-

" Now Now Kitty Mr. Bingley doesn't care about your ribbons," she told her, with a sigh.

Mr. Bingley glanced at Jane, wishing to do her the courtesy of letting her speak first. As for his own feelings, the other Bennet girls could read from the way he looked at Jane that HE was enjoying the day immensely.

ooc: hope not what? 0.o...

ic:

Mary took one look at Mr. Bingley's face and knew that he had the same admiration of Jane and she had for him by the fact that she often saw her father glance at her mother in that way when he thought no one noticed, and when her mother wasn't in a fit. With her mind settled, she realized that her stomach wasn't. "Does anyone know where we can see a menu please?"

OOC: Jane hopes I'm not interested in the ribbons; that is, she hopes I'm not interested IN KITTY, for whom I interceded with an irritable Mrs. Bennet in an earlier scene.

The latest forum-crash prevented me from editing my last post to accommodate what had come in almost simultaneously about Kitty. I was going to say that I hated to see Kitty get scolded twice in the same day, so I did her the kindness of graciously acknowledging her comment about the ribbons and saying I would look at them eventually--but I purposely addressed her as "CHILD" when I did so, to signal her, without being forced to say it outright, that I was NOT interested romantically in her. Please assume this to have happened; and I now fix my attention on Jane again, still waiting for more comments from her on the outing so far.

Last edited:
No immediate new post, Kim? Okay, you can still add something retroactively if you want. Assume that Bingley gave Jane every opportunity to say more, before he makes the following speech to the other Bennet girls as a group:

"Gentle maidens, I am forced to speculate that the towns of Longbourne and Meryton are filled with blind men; I don't know how else to explain why ALL of you are not besieged with callers and suitors at every daylight hour. But I have been granted the inestimable privilege of trying to amend this lack with respect to the eldest and loveliest of a lovely quintet. Your sister Jane has already told me that, pending the approval of your parents, I have HER approval to begin calling on her socially on a regular basis." He turned his admiring eyes on Jane once more as he added, "And I plan to define 'a regular basis' as EVERY DAY."

"For the very existence of that friendship, as well as for good turns done to me _within_ the friendship," said Bingley, "I am indebted to Mr. Darcy himself. His family has at least some contact with nearly every wealthy family this side of Scotland, and some Scots besides. Being in age somewhere between my parents and myself, Darcy undertook to befriend and shepherd me in London, while I was in my early teens."

"Did he introduce you to the young ladies of high society?" asked Lydia.

"No, he chiefly introduced me to the sons of other important men, since these sons were apt to be the men with whom I would have business dealings in the future. Darcy was fond of saying--" At this point, Bingley swung his gaze directly back to Jane's eyes as he finished:

"--that I needed to have MY feet solidly planted under me, before I began trying to sweep some desirable girl off of HER feet. But by now, I do think my feet are planted--when it isn't my backside I'm planting in a roadway!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back