Prince Caspian - Logos Theater

tirian_son_of_erlian

Prince Caspian is playing at the Logos Theater in the Greenville, South Carolina area until July 31! Performances are Friday evenings and Saturday afternoons. Has anyone had a chance to see this adaptation? I believe this is the second time this venue has put on this specific production. I believe they also featured The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe several years ago. I know for certain they put on The Horse and His Boy two years ago, which was absolutely wonderful. The acting was heartfelt and oustanding. There is a small chance I may take a road trip from Houston to Nashville and Greenville in the coming days. Interestingly The Horse and His Boy is my favorite of the chronicles to read followed by Prince Caspian.

What I have seen of the clips and photos of any of the Logos Theatre's Narnian productions is outstanding! My friends who have actually been able to attend a performance had glowing reviews for the staging as well as the adaptation. Going to the Logos to watch their production of one of the chronicles definitely is on my bucket list, although this year is out for me.

Well, it's a go! I leave tomorrow and stay with a friend in Mobile, Alabama. Then onto South Carolina to see Prince Caspian Friday night with another friend there. Surely I will listen to the audio drama on the way! Or should I wait until after? Hmm, tough choice. I'm so excited! Then onto visit some friends in Nashville Saturday. I am super excited!

Okay, here is the first part of my review/synopsis for the "Prince Caspian" play I saw in July at The Logos Theater. I wanted to have completed it sooner, but I just haven't had enough time. So I started with the introduction and hope to provide more on it soon. It was definitely worth the drive to see!

Do take note, "The Horse and His Boy" is returning this coming July 2022! (https://thelogostheatre.com/2021-2022-production-season/) I also really hope they will adapt "The Voyage of the Dawn Treador" at some point; after seeing how brilliantly they handled the trickiest scenes in "Prince Caspian," I'm certain they could do justice to it as well.

Ok, here's the start of my review:

Wow! This production was phenemonal. This time I was able to see it with a friend who lives in the area.

Naturally I was very curious how the play would begin. Executive Director Noah Stratton and his wife Artistic Director Nicole Stratton are the genuis behind the production, and I love how they handled the opening scene. Rumbling thunder and interspersed lightning revealed the stage's first centerpiece, a huge ship treading skyward. A man in tattered clothes stealthily steered as the voiceover of a woman began speaking, slowly (the quality and tone of her voice was reminiscent of Cate Blanchett's Galadriel in the opening of "The Fellowship of the Ring"):

"Many years ago, in a deep sea, which is called the South Sea, a shipload of pirates were driven by storm on an island. And there they did as pirates would: killed the natives, and took the native women as wives, and quarrelled, and sometimes killed one another."

Seamlessly, several barbarians had emerged onstage and many began engaging in skillful, open swordplay. Eventually a cave prop revealed itself to be two pieces as it split open, and some of the natives fell through it toward backstage.

Turning our attention on point, the revolvable center stage had rotated 180 degrees toward us and would-be Telmarines were conquering their new realm. How interesting it is that history repeats itself in various worlds. The Old Narnia we know and love was yet elusive; a light of hope, however, soon emerged.

We entered an elaborate, soft glowing room, outlayed with colors and furniture established for royalty. Nicole Stratton was holding her baby boy. You could not have picked a more peaceful, agreeable looking child to play the part of the infant Caspian. The woman's voice was his nurse all along. She had been lovingly revealing the secret history of Narnia, throughout the first scenes, to the story's title protagonist. Nicole, then, aptly in the role of Caspian's nurse, sang a somber song and gave her blessing to her baby boy. In that same space, she spoke over him how he would one day be entrusted as Narnia's King, and the opening concluded as she solemly adressed the play's title character: "Prince Caspian."

Last edited:
Back