Quoth the Raven, hey, Sleepy Mouse!

The weather was absolutely amazing today. Heavy, rounded clouds sailed slowly overhead in a grey sky. A chill biting wind blew from the north and cut through my coat and sweater. The temptation to sleep was nigh overwhelming... I went inside, clicked on a lamp, and had a conversation with my cat. He recommended a hot mug of tea and a book. I happily took his advice and he in his turn curled up in my lap and feel asleep.

Last edited:
Long ago, in a talent show, I dramatically recited "The Tell-Tale Heart" by memory.

("I admit the deed! Tear up the planks-- here, here!")
The Tell Tale Heart was my very first introduction to Poe. I became an instant fan. I try to encourage students to at least try reading Poe. It's a good feeling when others come to appreciate his work.

Today on MeWe dot com, Sleepy Mouse posted a joke which he might have selected because he has had health problems.

"I'm so out of shape, if someone yelled, 'Run for your life,' I would reply, 'I'll just wait here and meet Jesus'."

I didn't realize that it's been a year since I posted to this thread! Shame on me! I'm going to try to be more diligent and post at least once a week. apologies for my lack of diligence.

When I was a teenager-through-college-age, Mister Poe was such a popular source for horror movies, that one studio made a HUGE stretch. They took a single PHRASE from one of his extra- pessimistic poems-- three words, "the conqueror worm"-- and made it the TITLE of a movie which otherwise had no connection with Edgar Allen.

Much later, the fantasy adventure film "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" had Sean Connery mention the Rue Morgue. The screenwriter used this Easter egg ACCURATELY: "Rue Morgue" means a STREET named for a funeral home, not a funeral home owned by somebody named Rue.

When I was a teenager-through-college-age, Mister Poe was such a popular source for horror movies, that one studio made a HUGE stretch. They took a single PHRASE from one of his extra- pessimistic poems-- three words, "the conqueror worm"-- and made it the TITLE of a movie which otherwise had no connection with Edgar Allen.

Much later, the fantasy adventure film "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" had Sean Connery mention the Rue Morgue. The screenwriter used this Easter egg ACCURATELY: "Rue Morgue" means a STREET named for a funeral home, not a funeral home owned by somebody named Rue.
Poe has had a major influence in literature and around the world. I had a Japanese friend who told me about a Japanese author who was heavily influenced by Poe. Sadly, I cannot remember that author's name.

Back