Self-Defence??

Red Roses

Hey, has anyone here taken any self-defence courses?? I did, and they were GREAT!! I've got lots of tips if anyone wants.... ;)

i had a few classes jiu jitsu
one competition
i won ^^ haha.
so proud back then
and the guy who teaches it lives in the same street as me
so if i rele need any tips, i can go there =]

What kind of self-defence courses? I've done several, but many of them are very different. I've also been coursing a group of women with my tae-kwondo instructor before.

Here's the best self-defence tip I can give:
Grumpy guy comming towards you and has in mind to hurt you?? Use your legs and run ;) ... If that doesn't work, I have a few other tricks for ya.

Yes Lilith, jiu-jitsu is probably one of the best self-defence techniques when you don't have any other martial arts background. The reason to this is that you learn how to use pressure points (basicly you learn how to make your enemy give up with some kind of grapple or with pressure points that makes him hurt so much he will probably give in).

Boxing is actually a dangerous sport to learn for self-defence. The reason to this is that you learn to fight with gloves on. Gloves and fists are two very different things, and you can get to the point where you seriously hurt or kill your enemy, which is unecessary if you know of other things to do then hit and kill ;)

Last edited:
I am taking Jujitsu through my college, this is my second semester of it. I enjoy the Judo part of it the best, but that is because I like the black belt who teaches it better than the black belt who does the kick-boxing part of it.

I took a couple of those before I started Jujitsu, but I have learned ever-so-much more from the real karate in Jujitsu than I ever learned in the self-defense courses.

I am taking Jujitsu through my college, this is my second semester of it. I enjoy the Judo part of it the best, but that is because I like the black belt who teaches it better than the black belt who does the kick-boxing part of it.

Wait; this was a tad bit confusing :p ... Do you train ju-jitsu (I have no idea how to spell that...) with sub-genres like Kick-boxing and Judo? As far as I know, Ju-Jitsu is combined with Judo, but not with kick-boxing...? I've never trained Ju-Jitsu before, but I've surely trained with some people who trains Ju-Jitsu, and they have no clue how to box whatsoever (or kick efficiently. Sorry; if you want to know how to kick to make it hurt, or to box efficiently, you have to do boxing/kickboxing to learn that).

I can actually pretty much make up a list of the most efficient martial arts, and the least efficient once (of the common martial arts that is). One thing that has to be said is that this is heavily influenced by your instructor/sensei to make your martial arts efficient.

And the last thing to say: Martial arts is the funniest thing I can be doing ;)

Like what to do if someone is choking you, or holding a knife to your neck. =]

That's cool! So did you learn some different simple moves and such then?

Last edited:
Yeah. We practiced with rubber knives and such. :p

Sounds fun ;) Did you learn how to defend yourself from choking attacks from the behind, or how to yell to make possible attackers to back of?

One of the best advices I can give: Shock. Fill the man/woman with shock if he/she wants to attack you. Make a clear agressive approach, causing him/her to get uncertain in the situation. If it's a person that weighs more then you, going into combat with him/her is not a good idea. People who weigh more then you have a better advantage, and especially if he/she has fought before (Fighting ability comes from the experience, not things you've learned from a instructor). Fill her with shock and make her feel uncomfortable. Make her think you're not frightened and you will make most people back of.

If people are not frightened by you or doesn't back of; find a escape route. Nothing is more important. If you're unexperienced with violence, nothing will shock you more or disturb you more then when another person attacks you. It's very different from what happens in the movies, and some people explains that when they get attacked, they feel like they're groin is twisting. Defencive behaviour towards an attacker should be the last solution, as if you've not found an escape route, and have not succeeded to maker he/she back of. After many, many years of martial arts (and I've had my share of street-violence to. I've been very closed to be both stabbed and hit with a bat) experience I can still not tell if a person is better then me in fighting. There's no way to tell, even though I can be considered a "big guy", I will not consider to fight a guy if there's a possible escape route.

I think it really depends on who is teaching the Jujitsu, where the Jujitsu is being taught, and whether the jujitsu stems from the Japanese version or some of the copy cats that share the same name (or a variation of it). My sensai/professor seems to think that Jujitsu involves both Kick-Boxing and Judo techniques as well as the pressure points that you seem to associate with jiu-jitsu, therefore we deal with it all; on Tuesdays we do the Judo, on Thursdays we work on Kick-Boxing and/or (depending on the mood of the other Black belt that helps) pressure point techniques. We are also learning a lot of chokes and things of that nature, but we haven't gotten into disarming techniques yet.

Sounds fun ;) Did you learn how to defend yourself from choking attacks from the behind, or how to yell to make possible attackers to back of?

One of the best advices I can give: Shock. Fill the man/woman with shock if he/she wants to attack you. Make a clear agressive approach, causing him/her to get uncertain in the situation. If it's a person that weighs more then you, going into combat with him/her is not a good idea. People who weigh more then you have a better advantage, and especially if he/she has fought before (Fighting ability comes from the experience, not things you've learned from a instructor). Fill her with shock and make her feel uncomfortable. Make her think you're not frightened and you will make most people back of.

If people are not frightened by you or doesn't back of; find a escape route. Nothing is more important. If you're unexperienced with violence, nothing will shock you more or disturb you more then when another person attacks you. It's very different from what happens in the movies, and some people explains that when they get attacked, they feel like they're groin is twisting. Defencive behaviour towards an attacker should be the last solution, as if you've not found an escape route, and have not succeeded to maker he/she back of. After many, many years of martial arts (and I've had my share of street-violence to. I've been very closed to be both stabbed and hit with a bat) experience I can still not tell if a person is better then me in fighting. There's no way to tell, even though I can be considered a "big guy", I will not consider to fight a guy if there's a possible escape route.

Thats so creepy.... Cause thats exactly what our instructor kept telling us. o_O

Our instructor told us to not stand around and fight, because the stronger person always wins. He told us to do our bit of damage to distract him/her and then to run for our lives. And he said that you're supposed to yell "Don't hurt my kids" :p

I think it really depends on who is teaching the Jujitsu, where the Jujitsu is being taught, and whether the jujitsu stems from the Japanese version or some of the copy cats that share the same name (or a variation of it). My sensai/professor seems to think that Jujitsu involves both Kick-Boxing and Judo techniques as well as the pressure points that you seem to associate with jiu-jitsu, therefore we deal with it all; on Tuesdays we do the Judo, on Thursdays we work on Kick-Boxing and/or (depending on the mood of the other Black belt that helps) pressure point techniques. We are also learning a lot of chokes and things of that nature, but we haven't gotten into disarming techniques yet.

But how does that work in the end? If you work with both Ju-Jitsu and kick-boxing at the same time, that would make me very confused when it comes to prioritizing low defences and hits. In Jiu-Jitsu, you would not bend your neck down for a defencive stance and stand your ground with two hands up in blocking/hitting position. A ju-jitsu student would do the same as a Tae-kwondo student does. spreading his leg, putting about 70% of his/her weigh on the back foot with both arms up in defencive "agressive" position, making his kicks more efficient but his defences will weaken.

So how do mix up the two? If you're training ju-jitsu, I don't understand how you can possibly stand in a kick-boxing stance while doing Ju-Jitsu stuff. Kickboxing is based on low-end kicking, meaning that you shall hit the opponents tigh (very light feeted, you don't place weigh on your back foot), trying to paralyze him, while focusing great punches on his head/stomach to finish him of. Ju Jitsu is very much like an art and how to disable your opponent efficiently and civilized without having to shatter his nose apart.

So the differences between Kickboxing (my conclusion) and Ju-Jitsu would be that Kickboxing is focused on somekind of agressive combat, combined with quick jabs and kicks, while Ju-Jitsu is a technical fighting method to how paralyze your opponent by using well documented techniques that you learn.

I can surely understand if you guys combine it, and I don't think you're lying or anything, but I'm curious to how it can be. It might be that I didn't understand correctly and you guys are training Ju-Jitsu on one day and training kick-boxing another day. But one thing's for sure; Kickboxing is not a sub-category of Ju-Jitsu.

Do you people have fighting lessons on your Ju-Jitsu, or is it just sparring? Do you have real kickboxing matches (That's 60% of what kickboxing is)?

Thats so creepy.... Cause thats exactly what our instructor kept telling us. o_O

Our instructor told us to not stand around and fight, because the stronger person always wins. He told us to do our bit of damage to distract him/her and then to run for our lives. And he said that you're supposed to yell "Don't hurt my kids" :p

Yeah ;)
One thing I feel really strongly about is how people think fighting is no "big deal". A ordinary person who hit you in the scull has the capacity to break your scull, and one more (Your scull x2) in one single, well placed hit (of course, breaking one is more then enough to kill you). People think (because of movies, media and blah blah blah) that people will get up again after you've hit them with a bat, which is not the case. On a local store down in my town, a drunk guy came in (I wasn't there though, just so that's clear) and got in a fight with the salesman there. The drunk guy hit the salesman and the salesman fell down to the floor. To everyone around him, it didn't look to serious, but on closer examination, the person was dead.

What I'm trying to get out of this is; how willing are you to risk your life for a person you know doesn't deserve to hit you in the first place? If that drunk guy could kill the salesman in one stroke, what can /I/, with several years of martial arts practice do? It takes ONE hit (2-3 if your lucky) well placed hits to your scull, and you'll get so much scull fracture you die. I can punch down a guy with my boxing gloves on, what can I do without them? Everyone who practice martial arts should take this into consideration, and make a contract with themselves NEVER to learn or perform what they know to other UNAUTHORIZED people who doesn't know the responsibility that comes with the true martial arts (If of course it does not depend on your own security)

Before, when I started martial arts, I learned it because I wanned to be better fighters then others. Now I do it for the fun of it, the training, and the discipline it needs to learn the neat things that you learn (And nothing is cooler then teaching other people. Truly. There's no greater pleasure)

Last edited:
We are not advanced enough to my instructor's satisfaction to do the full-fledged kick-boxing match, when the first semester of us started getting close, the semester ended and then this semester we got new people into the class and half of what we are doing right now is review.

I think that my instructors' (there are three of them) philosophy is to use the kick-boxing techniques to make us more efficient in kicking and punching. It is kind of a piece-meal class that I don't think exactly qualifies as strictly Jujitsu ( it's more like general martial arts rolled together and we wil end up with Judo belts). We do work on the different techniques on different days, and I have yet to see them mix the two.

Think that part of the reason that we do the kick-boxing is because he had a hard time fitting what is required for a credit course at Roane State into the schedule at his dojo.

hmm well for me to be studying the martial arts means much more than being a better fighter. I study the art of karate which meansempty hand or open hand, so I study karate because I want to be able to help family and friends in certain situations. I learned that the best thing to do in a situation is to escape, but if the there are no other options then you must stand your ground and defend your friend/family member or yourself. I'm not perfect at all even though I' m green belt, but I plan on persevering with it.

Yeah ;)
One thing I feel really strongly about is how people think fighting is no "big deal". A ordinary person who hit you in the scull has the capacity to break your scull, and one more (Your scull x2) in one single, well placed hit (of course, breaking one is more then enough to kill you). People think (because of movies, media and blah blah blah) that people will get up again after you've hit them with a bat, which is not the case. On a local store down in my town, a drunk guy came in (I wasn't there though, just so that's clear) and got in a fight with the salesman there. The drunk guy hit the salesman and the salesman fell down to the floor. To everyone around him, it didn't look to serious, but on closer examination, the person was dead.

What I'm trying to get out of this is; how willing are you to risk your life for a person you know doesn't deserve to hit you in the first place? If that drunk guy could kill the salesman in one stroke, what can /I/, with several years of martial arts practice do? It takes ONE hit (2-3 if your lucky) well placed hits to your scull, and you'll get so much scull fracture you die. I can punch down a guy with my boxing gloves on, what can I do without them? Everyone who practice martial arts should take this into consideration, and make a contract with themselves NEVER to learn or perform what they know to other UNAUTHORIZED people who doesn't know the responsibility that comes with the true martial arts (If of course it does not depend on your own security)

Before, when I started martial arts, I learned it because I wanned to be better fighters then others. Now I do it for the fun of it, the training, and the discipline it needs to learn the neat things that you learn (And nothing is cooler then teaching other people. Truly. There's no greater pleasure)

Oh, wow! Thats horrible!! And you're absolutely right! The media makes fighting look so easy. And all that stuff is so retarded, like I said already, the stronger person always wins.

People are always saying "survival of the fittest" which is true. But there are more important things than being stronger. Such as being smarter. ;)

We are not advanced enough to my instructor's satisfaction to do the full-fledged kick-boxing match, when the first semester of us started getting close, the semester ended and then this semester we got new people into the class and half of what we are doing right now is review.

I think that my instructors' (there are three of them) philosophy is to use the kick-boxing techniques to make us more efficient in kicking and punching. It is kind of a piece-meal class that I don't think exactly qualifies as strictly Jujitsu ( it's more like general martial arts rolled together and we wil end up with Judo belts). We do work on the different techniques on different days, and I have yet to see them mix the two.

Think that part of the reason that we do the kick-boxing is because he had a hard time fitting what is required for a credit course at Roane State into the schedule at his dojo.

Yeah, that sounds right ;)
The problem that I felt about the Tae-Kwondo I was doing was the effiency of my kicks, which was nothing compared to the real hard and brutal kicks you can get with kickboxing. Tae-Kwondo kicks are flashy, looks cool and everyone loves them, but it won't help you anywhere. I did learn alot from the Tae-Kwondo though, no doubt.

I don't like how Karate (shotokan), Tae-Kwondo and so on promotes the "long-punches", learning you how to hit in a well-placed manner, but the punches is of no use, basicly because it takes to long to execute them, and there's no way to hide /where/ you're hitting, making it very easy to block the punch. One positive thing about this punch: It's the hardest kind of punching you can do, but it's still very unecessary and not good.

hmm well for me to be studying the martial arts means much more than being a better fighter. I study the art of karate which meansempty hand or open hand, so I study karate because I want to be able to help family and friends in certain situations. I learned that the best thing to do in a situation is to escape, but if the there are no other options then you must stand your ground and defend your friend/family member or yourself. I'm not perfect at all even though I' m green belt, but I plan on persevering with it.

I agree with you. If there's no other option then to fight, then by all means, you have to. But there are to many people who doesn't read the situation right and jumps into a fight when it's not needed. Martial arts is so much more then just the fighting. A good martial arts artist knows how to read a situation and make the best out of it.
What kind of Karate do you train? Shotokan?

Last edited:
uh I can't remember.......I just had it to:rolleyes: Moving on yea true true its good to obeserve the situation, because like you said its foolish to jump into a fight. What I try to do is observe a read the setting of a task I'm sent to do at work and try to make good choice and judgements on how to perform my task well. Same thing with a certain situation; observe, is there any escape routes, what technique should I use, what is my plan of action?

uh I can't remember.......I just had it to:rolleyes: Moving on yea true true its good to obeserve the situation, because like you said its foolish to jump into a fight. What I try to do is observe a read the setting of a task I'm sent to do at work and try to make good choice and judgements on how to perform my task well. Same thing with a certain situation; observe, is there any escape routes, what technique should I use, what is my plan of action?

Most people lose their minds completely when they're in a situation like that. You can't blame them, but maybe they should take self-defence. :p

The good thing is, with the group that does kick-boxing with us, there a man who is really good and actually is a better teacher than the Black Belt that is the main teacher (I do not mean the professor for my class, this black belt must be a higher ranked black belt than my prof). While the main instuctors were working with the new people, those of us who had experience worked with this man an he really help fix some bad habbits that I picked up from working with the other instructors who really do not have the time to give individual attention to people.

Back