Tamora Pierce

Kitanna

I was wondering if anyone hear has read any of Tamora Pierce's books. She's well-known for her Lioness Series about Alanna the lady knight. But she has several other series including The Immortals and Protectors of the Small and two more of which I am less familiar with.

I was just curious to see who has read them and who's everyone's favorite chracters or books from the various series.

Tamora Pierce is a wondrous writer, i've got all her works and i loved her books. She has such a style of writing which is just fabulous.

I was tempted to pick up the books after reading a little snippet online. Only I'm a curious one. What's the reading level like? I heard it was for younger readers and usually I don't mind that but I'm picky. Also, which of the books are better (and why) in your opinion? I was going to pick up the first book of the Immortals I believe.

Also, do the books tend to be repetitive? As in, the next book sort've has the same plot line but different characters? Or is it an entirely new story?

Ok
1) The books are made for young adults, so they're easy reads, but they go into pretty good detail to set the scene.
2) Most of the books take place in the same area with the same characters. Like the Lioness series is all about Alanna and each book highlights a different struggle in her knighthood. Usually same characters, different plots.
3) I'd start by reading the Lioness series because Immortals takes place after it and so it makes some references to things that happened in the Lioness series.
4) My favorite book was the first book of Lioness series called The First Adventure. My other favorite was the second book in the Immortals series, Wolf Speaker

Those times would have been nice if you were high in social status.
Most people where not, however and had to work themselves to their graves to make the luxurious life for the lucky possible.

-Austin

I've read both series and found them to be rather entertaining. I like Protector of the Small better than the Lioness, but that's just my opinion. I like her portrayal of girls not just being vulnerable and weak, but that they can be strong and fight just as well, sometimes better, as men.

I have read The Protector of the small...and a sneak preview at Tricksters Choice, I am more intrested in reading Tricksters choice because several people have told me that Alanna gets a bit vulgar and in the words of my friend "ohh another man lets get in bed together" but I dont know for a fact...I would have to say Neal is my favorite character and Owen hes so cute! Also I think I like the first Protecter of the Small book because in the others Kel gets all "ohh I love Neal, oh now I am over Neal I love Dom, oh forget Dom I love Cleon, oh forget him I dont love anybody....oh Dom"

Reepicheepfan said:
Also I think I like the first Protecter of the Small book because in the others Kel gets all "ohh I love Neal, oh now I am over Neal I love Dom, oh forget Dom I love Cleon, oh forget him I dont love anybody....oh Dom"

Heehee :p i know what you mean about Kel changing all the time. it drove me a little nuts when i was reading it. but overall, i think they were pretty good.

Trickster's Choice is about Aly, Alanna's daughter. Alanna actually doesn't come into the story all that much. Its really a better look at George because Aly is so much like him. I love learning about George Cooper. He's one of my favorite characters. And Nawat is a lot like them. I can't wait for the 3rd one in the series.

So is Trickster's Choice really good?
I saw it in the bookstore and I didn't know if I should get it or not.
The only series I ever finished by Tamora Pierce was the Alanna series. I liked it.

definitely lucky you. and yes, i would recommend buying trickster's choice. the protector of the small ones are really good too. The only ones I wouldn't recommend buying right off are the immortal ones and the circle ones. Not everyone likes them so I'd read them first and then decide. (personally, i have yet to dislike one of her books.)

well, not everyone can be Lewis and Tolkien but I can read her books several times over and still enjoy them. If I can do that I'd say its a pretty good book.

I love the Alanna series. *drools over her copies* I also love the Dain series, but I haven't finished it yet. I've been looking to buy Emperor Mage (which I have read) and Realm of the Gods (haven't read). I have the first two and have found Emperor Mage, but wasn't able to buy it, but I have not yet found a copy of Realm of the Gods. I know how it ends, but I want to read it! *grumble grumble*

Back