The Boy in the Striped Pajamas

I thought that it looked interesting (I am a history buff, my special interests are the wars that involved America)

"Is there a way it could be a visitor message?My computer blocks PMs."

How long can a visitor message be? We are talking about a list with 220 entries.

Maybe I'll just post my list here.

MrBob

It would be easier. can you PM it to me? I hesitate to suggest putting it in the visitor's message, buy you decide.

MrBob

I think it's spelled "Pyjamas" ... but WOW it is a powerful book/film. I read it before seeing the movie. Great acting as well.

It's a difference in how it is spelled in England and the US. In England, apparently, it is pyjamas. In the US, it is pajamas.

MrBob

OMG.

First of all, the book by John Boyne was one of the best pieces of literature I have ever read in my life. It was written so simply, so we get to see the Holocaust through the innocent eyes of a young German boy, but at the same time we know the horrible context that surrounds it, while little Bruno slowly discovers it. That is one of the things that makes the book all the more powerful. The other most powerful element in the book was the ending, which, if you haven't read it, is so shocking that it will drive some of you to tears. Yet Boyne never forces any emotion on the reader--he merely tells the story from the naive point of view of young Bruno and the emotion just ends up coming along with it.

Watching the story play out in film format was even more powerful than reading the book, because we actually get to see the tragedy play out. The film puts a bit more emphasis on Bruno's parent's POV than the book does, but this works very well cinematicallly and makes the ending even more emotional. And, in terms of the ending, although I had read the book before seeing the film and already knew what happened, the phenomenal blend of excellent cinematography, acting, directing, and musical score left me just as shocked (if not more so) as I had first been when I had originally read the end of the book. So shocked that I couldn't even bring myself to tears. But it was incredibly moving...in a terribly bittersweet way.

Personally, I think it was the best film of 2008. Definitely worth seeing, and the book is definitely worth reading. Incredibly sad, yes, but the story has such a huge impact that it will leave you stunned for days.

Ohmygod. I just read this today.
I was so not expecting that ending. I was expecting something sad, but wow. Just...wow. When I realized what was going on, I just went numb all over. Then came the line:
"You're my best friend, Shmuel. My best friend for life."
And I sobbed. What a powerful book.

And this is a weird comparison but in that way it reminds me of Eldest.... Good and well done, but sad at the ending.
I find that insulting. You can't compare the holocaust to a fantasy story...

Last edited:
Ohmygod. I just read this today.
I was so not expecting that ending. I was expecting something sad, but wow. Just...wow. When I realized what was going on, I just went numb all over. Then came the line:
"You're my best friend, Shmuel. My best friend for life."
And I sobbed. What a powerful book.

:( I love that line...I used it in one of my banners that I made for the movie. Which, by the way, was as (if not more so) powerful as the book. :( The music at the end is what really does it...James Horner brought out so much of the emotion of the story, especially at the very end :(

:( I love that line...I used it in one of my banners that I made for the movie. Which, by the way, was as (if not more so) powerful as the book. :( The music at the end is what really does it...James Horner brought out so much of the emotion of the story, especially at the very end :(
That line was golden. It totally killed me...

I'm almost afraid to see it (which is weird, because I was able to watch Schindler's List..). I know It'll make me cry. Heck, I tear up even thinking about it.

That line was golden. It totally killed me...

I'm almost afraid to see it (which is weird, because I was able to watch Schindler's List..). I know It'll make me cry. Heck, I tear up even thinking about it.

Yeah, I won't pretend that it isn't hard to watch, but it's still a really great film. I have the soundtrack and it almost drives me to tears every time I listen to it.

Both The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas and Schindler's List are about Nazis,and both of the movies take place in Poland.:(
Auschwitz is one of the saddest, most scarred places I've ever seen. It's a living nightmare to think of the horrors that went on there. I still get tears in my eyes whenever the talk here turns to the WWII years.

Last edited:
Oh. My. Gosh.
This was the saddest movie I have EVER seen! :( It just makes me SO mad that people could treat human beings that way. :mad: I was really depressed for a while after watching it... I don't think I could watch it again.

Back