What are some great Narnia foods for a Narnia themed party?

I'm surprised that no one has yet mentioned Turkish delight, since there actually is such a candy.

And from "Prince Caspian," whole fish baked with apples.

A toffee tree. (TMN)
Tumnus' light mean with Lucy--tea, sardines on toast, honey on toast, and sugar-topped cake.

MrBob

Well, I suppose that Cajun-style "dirty rice" could substitute for the actual dirt which was eaten by Narnia's counterparts of Middle-Earthian Ents.

How about pavenders? I think that's the only food mentioned in the books that's uniquely Narnian. Actually I always imagined pavenders to be something like trout, although I'm not really a fish enthusiast.

Pavenders?! I did a search and it turned up some ideas for preparing something that could be described as pavenders. But it brought up an interesting list from "The Silver Chair". I am not sure from where, but methinks it is from either the beginning of the book when Jill and Eustace were at Cair Paravel. Or (less likely) in the giant's castle, although some of these foods would have to come from giant animals --"So first of all he has porridge and pavenders and kidneys and bacon and omelettes and cold ham and toast and marmalade, and coffee and beer." There are some ideas there. One I would not shun is kidneys. I have read of at least two English preparations for lamb kidneys, both a traditional Edwardian breakfast food. Both descriptions indicated that they were so good that the people involved wanted more. I have never tried this myself, although I should.

Another inspiration source, also from :The Silver Chair" (and my first thought on the subject) is some of the things that Puddleglum prepared for Eustace and Jill. One that comes to mind was eels. Not necessarily a festive food (which it sounds like lamb kidneys could be) but something of English roots and definitely Narnian.

I think that quote is from near the end of The Silver Chair when a faun is describing what centaurs have for breakfast. But I'm sure pavenders are mentioned earlier in the book when Eustace and Jill stay at Cair Paravel.

The list of breakfast food for centaurs (at least the human part of them!) does sound rather Victorian or Edwardian and probably reflects Lewis's childhood. I don't think so many people now are accustomed to such a heavy meal so early in the day.

I agree with Copperfox that Turkish Delight would be nice (BTW I'm a teen who likes reading many books, I finished LWATW ;(The Lion, The Witch and The Wadrobe) Chapter 7 and will be on 8 soon.

Back