Why Caspian is Next

OK--Alot of people are wondering why Prince Caspian is the next film. I just figured this out this morning when I was getting ready to go see LWW for the second time.

LWW takes place one Earth year before Prince Caspian--Each of the Pevensies are one year older. If they did HBB next, then they'd be alot older--Peter {William Moseley} would probably be near 20 {he's 17}. They need each of the kids to be one year (closley more or less) older. So, Prince Caspian is next. After that, it will be Voyage of the Dawn Treader becuase Lucy and Edmund are supposed to be one year older. After that, The Silver Chair, because Eustace needs to be only one year older. Then, The Last Battle, because Eustace and Jill need to bee only one year older, and Lucy, Peter and Edmund need to be 3 years older than they were in LWW. The last movie--I think--they are going to film is the Magicians Nephew, just after HBB.

Yours truly

good thinking

I never thought of that. Do you think that the movie the horse and his boy is going to be a good movie? i mean the book was alright.

Ok, I dont think that Magician's Nephew will be last. I think that the movies will be filmed in the same order as the books were released. Honestly, I don't want to go see The LAST Battle knowing that there will be two more movies coming out. It's gonna turn out like freaking Star Wars Episode I if they do that. So i say Caspian, Voyage, Chair, Nephew, Horse, and Battle in that order.

i think they should have done Magicans, wardrobe, horse and boy, caspian, voyage, silver chair, last battle. it makes more sense in that order

Actually, according to the semi-official timeline, "The Last Battle" takes place in 1949, and LWW in 1940. Figure that PC was in '41, and VDT was in '42. Also, Chair would have to be set less than a year after VDT: Eustace was just back at school, and the bullying scum at Experiment House were just starting to realize that Eustace was not the same kid as he had been the previous year. I think they were dumb, but not that dumb. Probably late '42, but maybe early '43 at the outside. So Eustace and Jill would be six years older by then.

What really complicates it is the Earth years vs. Narnian years for all of this:
Magician's Nephew: EY 1900, NY 0 (Creation)
Lion, Witch...: EY 1940, NY 1000
Horse and his Boy: EY 1940, NY 1014
Prince Caspian: EY 1941, NY 2200 (approx.)
Dawn Treader: EY 1942, NY 2203
Silver Chair: EY 1942 or 43, NY 2273
Last Battle: EY 1949, NY 2555 (Armageddon)

LOL must have took you a long time to write that....but MN comes be4 LWW but sometimes lWW comes be4 MN and but MN then LWW makes more sense becuz if LWW was 1st then narnia would just be there but in MN it shows how narnia was created and how the lamp post got there

Wateve

Oddish said:
Actually, according to the semi-official timeline, "The Last Battle" takes place in 1949, and LWW in 1940. Figure that PC was in '41, and VDT was in '42. Also, Chair would have to be set less than a year after VDT: Eustace was just back at school, and the bullying scum at Experiment House were just starting to realize that Eustace was not the same kid as he had been the previous year. I think they were dumb, but not that dumb. Probably late '42, but maybe early '43 at the outside. So Eustace and Jill would be six years older by then.

What really complicates it is the Earth years vs. Narnian years for all of this:
Magician's Nephew: EY 1900, NY 0 (Creation)
Lion, Witch...: EY 1940, NY 1000
Horse and his Boy: EY 1940, NY 1014
Prince Caspian: EY 1941, NY 2200 (approx.)
Dawn Treader: EY 1942, NY 2203
Silver Chair: EY 1942 or 43, NY 2273
Last Battle: EY 1949, NY 2555 (Armageddon)

thought this out, have you?

TrueNarnian said:
LOL must have took you a long time to write that....but MN comes be4 LWW but sometimes lWW comes be4 MN and but MN then LWW makes more sense becuz if LWW was 1st then narnia would just be there but in MN it shows how narnia was created and how the lamp post got there

Obviously you're new to Narnia. The original publishing order was QUITE different. Only fairly recently did they switch it up. It is a perfectly acceptable order, but the theming and development of character and story are approached on a new scale. In LWW first you, like the children make the voyage of discovery. It allows you to see Narnia and experience it like they did. The little dedication in the new editions is a promotion by Lewis Godson. I, for one, have read them both ways many, many times. I find I like the original order much better. Many aesthetic and personal reasons and many traditional ones. The Magician's Nephew is written as back story in a fashion of "So that's how that was got there, and that's how that got there..." and Lewis agreed to his publishers suggested dates of the last 4 books. With MN just before the LB it creates and Alpha/Omega kind of feel. Makes a bookend set so to speak. Also, HHB is a very different kind of tale. As a matter of fact, in one of the others, I forget which, Lewis actually references his idea for the story and says "If I ever get the whole story (or perhaps the time) I shall tell you that tale as well." That is a paraphrase and if someone could find the exact qoute, it would be a help. I don't have my copies here. It occurs in one of the 3 PC, VDT or SC. I believe it is SC where that reference is made. Once again the allusion to further discovery.

Okay I have already written a treatise on this which most of you will skip over. I would love some feedback on this whatever you think.

echoscot said:
I believe it is SC where that reference is made. Once again the allusion to further discovery.

You're correct, it's the Silver Chair. It takes place before Jill and Eustace set out to find the lost prince.

"And when all the serious eating and drinking was over, a blind poet came forward and struck up the grand old tale of Prince Cor and Aravis and the horse Bree, which is called The Horse and His Boy and tells of an adventure that happened in Narnia and Calormen and the lands between..." etc etc.

Corin Thunder-Fist said:
You're correct, it's the Silver Chair. It takes place before Jill and Eustace set out to find the lost prince.

"And when all the serious eating and drinking was over, a blind poet came forward and struck up the grand old tale of Prince Cor and Aravis and the horse Bree, which is called The Horse and His Boy and tells of an adventure that happened in Narnia and Calormen and the lands between..." etc etc.

Thank you for finding that. I knew it was in one of those.

Scot

I believe that LWW was correct in being the first movie. Princes Caspian makes sense because it takes place a mere one year earth time later. This also stresses the concept of the time differences between here and Narnia and makes it all the more clearer. I'm not sure what they shall do with MN and THAHB because MN takes place before LWW whilst THAHB takes place during LWW. This will lead to confusion if they do not recap the crowning of the Pevensies at the beginning of THAHB, following with the end of LWW at the end of THAHB. Of course, by confusion I mean the children and people too naive to understand the time lapse. LB should certainly be last..

QueenSusanofNarnia said:
OK--Alot of people are wondering why Prince Caspian is the next film. I just figured this out this morning when I was getting ready to go see LWW for the second time.

LWW takes place one Earth year before Prince Caspian--Each of the Pevensies are one year older. If they did HBB next, then they'd be alot older--Peter {William Moseley} would probably be near 20 {he's 17}. They need each of the kids to be one year (closley more or less) older. So, Prince Caspian is next. After that, it will be Voyage of the Dawn Treader becuase Lucy and Edmund are supposed to be one year older. After that, The Silver Chair, because Eustace needs to be only one year older. Then, The Last Battle, because Eustace and Jill need to bee only one year older, and Lucy, Peter and Edmund need to be 3 years older than they were in LWW. The last movie--I think--they are going to film is the Magicians Nephew, just after HBB.

Yours truly

I can't wait until Narnia becomes a series. I really want to see "TMN" because it gets ignored a lot. (TMN is my favorite of the series).

Back