Arwens role in LOTR

I loved Arwen's expanded role in the movies, and I loved liv Tyler's portrayal of Arwen. I thought it was great they made Aragron's true love a courageous shield maiden in her own right -- big plus for me. It was too bad they didn't have time to develop the books on screen so Elrond's whole family could have had their due, but I have no problems with Arwen. I thought it was terrific what they did with her role.

I think that it would have been funny if Aragorn and Arwen some how got separeted like on the last page of the book! My friend Ariana thinks that, too!

I saw the LOTR movies before I read the books(Except ROTK, i read the book while waiting for the movie :D ), so I didn't think much of Arwen's roll till I read FOTR. I enjoy Arwen's roll in the movie, I think PJ and etc had em look @ who was thinking what that wasn't mentioned in the book...like for example, Arwen's worrying about and supporting Aragorn. I like Arwen's roll in the LOTR movies just fine :D

(I like the Legolas and Gimli dialog on your signature,Elvess_Leawyn_Greenleaf, that's one of my fave parts of the extended Two Towers :D )

hm.. some things that pj did with arwen were ok...but others werent... im still objecting to trading her for glor. it wasnt her charachter to be doing that.. it just wasnt...

Gondor Knight of Narnia said:
I saw the LOTR movies before I read the books(Except ROTK, i read the book while waiting for the movie :D ), so I didn't think much of Arwen's roll till I read FOTR. I enjoy Arwen's roll in the movie, I think PJ and etc had em look @ who was thinking what that wasn't mentioned in the book...like for example, Arwen's worrying about and supporting Aragorn. I like Arwen's roll in the LOTR movies just fine :D

(I like the Legolas and Gimli dialog on your signature,Elvess_Leawyn_Greenleaf, that's one of my fave parts of the extended Two Towers :D )

Mine too and the part were Merry and Pippin are fighting out who's taller and fighting over the Ent draught! LOL HEHEHE :D

Eowyn and Arwen both did a great job and thier both pretty

and it was funny when Eowyn just bust out siging at her cousins funeral
she sang horrible and she has a big mouth

i wouldnt say it was funny... true she didnt have the greatest voice.. but i think she did a fairly good job at making it look like she was really saddend and all...

cathyrh said:
I love Arwen and Liv Tyler! She's sooo pretty and a bloody good actress!

Elronds sons appeared in FOTR, they're sitting beside Elrond in the council scene. I'm sure it's them!!! And they fixed Isildurs sword in ROTK. :p

xP

The ones sitting besides Elrond at the 'Council of Elrond' attended by various races all over Middle-Earth was not his son. It was Figwit, dont ask me who or why...the character appear on the TCG card.

As for Glorfindel where her role was stolen by Arwen. She appeared in the TCG Card as a special edition card but make an appearence at the Aragorn's coronation at Minas Tirith. Look at the person with golden hair on the left just before they gave way to Arwen to set aside the banner...that's Glorfindel!

PrinceOfTheWest said:
Hey, that's nothing. Check out this report: http://www.dcaf.ch/women/pb_women_ex_sum.pdf. Over 200 million women are missing from today's world, thanks to widespread and liberal abortion laws which lead to sex-selective abortions - and not just in third world countries, either.

200 million - 15 times the number as died in the Nazi holucaust. Now that's oppression!

Thanks for that - interesting report, though its an estimate rather than empirical data. Strange that you only mention abortion in your post, which in my opinion pales in comparison to the honour killings, acid attacks, 'kitchen accidents', sexual assaults and domestic violence:

DCAF said:
Women live in a very insecure world indeed. Many fall victim to gender selective abortion and infanticide (boys being preferred to girls). Others do not receive the same amount of food and medical attention as their brothers, fathers and husbands. Others again fall prey to sexual offenders, to 'honour killings' and to acid attacks (most often for refusing a suitor). An estimated 5,000 women are burnt to death each year in 'kitchen accidents' because their dowry was seen as being too modest. Scores succumb to the special horrors and hardships that conflict, war and post-conflict situations reserve for girls and women. A shocking number of women are killed within their own walls through domestic violence. Rape and sexual exploitation remain, moreover, a reality for countless women; millions are trafficked; some sold like cattle.

Will the owner of this thread please move it to the 'Other Worlds' Forum. Let's try to keep our topics on the right boards, please. :)
~Nolo

AnimeKitten said:
yeah, i have the extended version on dvd
Yeah, so does my friend! I've seen them all extended and theatrical, and have all the theatrical, but I'm saving up for the extended; they rock and I'm going to buy TTT first, cause it's my favorite. Then probly TROTK. Then last but certainly not least TFOTR!!! :D

AnimeKitten said:
Eowyn and Arwen both did a great job and thier both pretty

How was that funny Anime Kitten? She was singing a dirge, while her voice cracked from emotion. Her cousin Théodred, heir to the throne had just died. Her brother was about to be driven into exile. Her uncle was worse than dead, weakened and controlled by Saruman. She was justified in her grief. The scene was anything, but humorous.

As for Arwen, her strength was in her wisdom and knowledge, not in a sword. She had no business riding out on Asfolath. Considering what happened to her mother, I hardly think the Elrond would allow her to go through anything so dangerous. Galadriel perhaps could have withstood the Nazgúl, but Arwen was not one of the Exiles. I don't think her cannon character could. Another thing that bothered me though, was how Elrond kept trying to make her flee to the havens. Arwen would leave with her father, or remain and become mortal. However, she did not have to make her choice until he left. This whole business of "Arwen is dying" makes no sense. It is true that Elrond was grieved and longed for Arwen not to choose mortality, but he also realized the necessity of her binding to Aragorn for the sake of the line of Elros. He also told Aragorn that he would permit their marriage, however the bride-price was something near impossible, much like the task given to Beren for the hand of Lúthien. I think Arwen’s character could have been done with more gentleness, and greater beauty. I think if PJ had shown more of her wisdom it would have been truer.

As for Éowyn, I think her character wasn’t icy enough, she was weaker than I imagined and less desperate. The Houses of Healing was one of the essential sections in her character development and it was removed as well as her dialogue with the Witchking. The latter showed her mettle and I was disappointed that it was reduced to a few sentences.

Overall, I think that Arwen's character was changed to something it should not have been. While Éowyn's was weakened, her pain not fully explained, and her healing never mentioned.

I thought that was a great added scene. And it wasn't that horrible of sinigng. Besides her cousin was dead and she was doing a lament for him. It was very emotional for her character.

i agree too, Arwen is of my favorites characters, but it's too bad that ever though her brothers were somewhere in the movie, they had no speaking roles and were hardly on screen. And i didn't it when they put her instead of Glorifindel to find Frodo, she wasn't even supposed to make the flood, her dad and gandalf was supposed too! as for the eowyn singing at her cousins funeral, i thought it was beautifully emotional..if it had really happened to me or if it was real i might have cried..i watched the fotr ee before i read the books, so before the two towers came out i was already done with reading all 3.

Last edited:
Back