Aslan vs. King Kong

The Dominion Post ( Wellingtons newspaper) wants King Komg to win. I think the see it as a Wellington Vs Auckland thing. However, my loyalty is behind Narnia all the way and im thinking of writing a leter complaning.

Im supporting narnia 100%(like we all are) Im not realyl worried about that big monkey being better in the boxoffice than Narnia, this book has been around for so long and everyone practically knows it, so im not worried about The Kong dude beating our lion ;) :) :)

I am glad to see everyone is going to support Narnia and is upbeat. But I think all of us might be a tad naive about how well KK will do. To us Narnia fans, of course it seems that Narnia will be more popular because we notice when the commercials come on TV, when people talk about it. But I think everyone in Hollywood is excited to see Peter Jackson's first post-LOTR movie. I just hope we aren't all in for a rude awakening.

Not trying to be a downer, just realisitic.

My whole point is go see the movie, many many many times. I just want it to do well. :cool:

I was just thinking. We all want LWW to do good in the box office but what does it really matter as long as we all like it???? :confused: :eek: ;)

Not at all. It's just our silly cultural competitiveness rearing it's head - after all, doesn't there have to be a first?

However things work out in the theatre right now, Narnia will kill Kong for staying power (i.e., DVD sales). Just think of all those youth groups, churches, and church schools that will buy it...

Starkist said:
I think a lot of folks here are sounding pretty insulated from the outside world. Sure, here on a Narnia forum, most people are more excited about the long awaited Narnia movie than for King Kong. Let me tell you though: While Narnia will win week one, King Kong will demolish everything in its path once it opens.

Peter Jackson made quite a name for himself when he adapted the Lord of the Rings to the big screen. He has been working his whole life to make King Kong. It has been highly publicized for two years now, ever since Jackson took home the Best Director Oscar. It has been getting nearly unanimous good reviews. Both teaser trailers have been met with astounding enthusiasm wherever they have been seen. While Narnia will make its share of cash, Kong will challenge Star Wars for the honor of being highest grossing movie of the year.

You know what though? I'm going to see them both. :)
Unfortunately, I have to agree w/Starkist here. We're all fanatical about CoN, but Kong has gotten TONS of publicity. Personally, I didn't like Jurassic Park, but a whole lot of people went to that movie. I would love to see Narnia beat Kong, but it's going to be a tough battle. I think Peter Jackson will actually give Kong more of a storyline. All that being said, I have little interest in Kong. But, I think it will probably beat our beloved Narnia : (

The Prince said:
I was just thinking. We all want LWW to do good in the box office but what does it really matter as long as we all like it???? :confused: :eek: ;)
I think it does matter - if you want the other six books to be made into movies, that is. It also shows Hollywood that family-friendly, values-based, movies are what people are hungry for.

"I think it does matter - if you want the other six books to be made into movies, that is. It also shows Hollywood that family-friendly, values-based, movies are what people are hungry for."okay youv' got a point and I HOPE that we will see more movies but for us already narnian book lovers its no big deal if kong wins

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe is predicted to thump any competition for at least three weeks.

But yes, I will go see it again, the second week.

I'll also get around to seeing King Kong. NOT the first weeks though. Like you, I want Narnia to make as much money as possible to give Walden an incentive to make more :) (This will, by far, be their highest grossing film.) I really don't have a high interest in it. But Peter Jackson made it for heavens sake. If we want him to make the Hobbit, we should keep him in a good mood ;)

So anyway, go see Narnia a BUNCH, everybody, especially the first 2 weeks!

If any of you want to see Prince Caspian make it to the big screen... go watch LWW!

-Austin

Last edited:
There's a tiny little part of me that wants to keep CoN all to myself and not have it become overly popular. But, the bigger side of me wants it to kick tail.

kong and narnia will be about the same in the first week of release, although kong will burn out at the box office over time.

CSLewisFan said:
But Peter Jackson made it for heavens sake. If we want him to make the Hobbit, we should keep him in a good mood ;)

That's also a good point. Ok...Everybody that wants to see Kong, go on week 5. Or wait for the DVD to come out. ;)

I think you folks are way too competitive. I'm going to see Narnia in week one, and I'm going to see Kong in week one. I plan to enjoy both experiences immensely.

I say... go see whichever movie you want to see. Be it both, go see both. We'll know which movie did better in the box office soon enough.

Back