Bibliophile Guild

Read to them from your Book of Magic. Preferably the spell that turns things into chocolate eclairs.

Let me tell you something, all humour aside. The people that used to needle me about being too bookish are all gainfully employed making aluminum lawn furniture or guarding warehouses at night. I, on the other hand, had to content myself with journalism, graphic arts, public speaking and professional photography. They're right, I should have read less and drank more....

A friend of mine just told me that the B&N NOOK stocks are taking a dive. The end for B&N is neigh and I weep for soon there shan't be any book store chains. All that shall remain are antique book stores and used book stores. Oh, that I should see such times as these.

The end of brick and mortar stores except for Wal Mart's book of the month, likely. The end of getting on Amazon.com and buying actual paper books? I hardly think so.

The end of brick and mortar stores except for Wal Mart's book of the month, likely. The end of getting on Amazon.com and buying actual paper books? I hardly think so.

I refer to the end of going into bookstore to purchase a paper-book. Certainly Wal-Mart and Target will still have bestsellers, but they survive because they offer more than books. Yes, Amazon shall continue to offer traditionally bound paper books, but the end is coming for the shops specifically dedicated to bibliophils. Sigh.

A friend of mine just told me that the B&N NOOK stocks are taking a dive. The end for B&N is neigh and I weep for soon there shan't be any book store chains. All that shall remain are antique book stores and used book stores. Oh, that I should see such times as these.

WHAT?!? WHERE AM I SUPPOSED TO READ ALL THE BOOKS THAT HAVEN'T COME OUT IN THE LIBRARY YET FOR FREE? WHERE AM I GOING TO GO THAT I CAN GO UP AND DOWN THE ESCALATORS WITHOUT BEING YELLED AT BY MY MOTHER? Oh, wait....

This is awful. I just, can't comprehend this....

WHAT?!? WHERE AM I SUPPOSED TO READ ALL THE BOOKS THAT HAVEN'T COME OUT IN THE LIBRARY YET FOR FREE? WHERE AM I GOING TO GO THAT I CAN GO UP AND DOWN THE ESCALATORS WITHOUT BEING YELLED AT BY MY MOTHER? Oh, wait....

This is awful. I just, can't comprehend this....

You convey the panic and despair that looms over me. Many bibliophiles choose to live in denial, that the day when bookstores shall be no more shall never come. But the signs are clear, Borders is all but gone, B&N closing 400 stores and their eReader failing. :(

You convey the panic and despair that looms over me. Many bibliophiles choose to live in denial, that the day when bookstores shall be no more shall never come. But the signs are clear, Borders is all but gone, B&N closing 400 stores and their eReader failing. :(

The day when bookstores fail is the day that I buy everything on special and convert my house into a library. Seriously.

I didn't know Borders still existed anywhere. My B&N seems to be doing okay though....

Here is a link to The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore, an animated short that is a loving tribute to the wonder and transforming power of books. This 15-min film won an academy award for the best animated short in 2011.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkJPMsWw6Z8
(This is of course not an endorsement of Youtube in general.)

P.S. Also I have bought the film plus the app based on this film because I liked it so much.

The day when bookstores fail is the day that I buy everything on special and convert my house into a library. Seriously.

I didn't know Borders still existed anywhere. My B&N seems to be doing okay though....

My Barnes & Noble seems to be thriving too, but that's how it always appears. All this instant order and digital downloading is hurting printing buisnesses. What the tech innovators don't understand is that by creating these new devices they eliminate millions of jobs, while only creating a thousand. Eventually not only will the written word cease to be printed in mass qauntities, but it means there will be less and less jobs available for the next generation.

My Barnes & Noble seems to be thriving too, but that's how it always appears. All this instant order and digital downloading is hurting printing buisnesses. What the tech innovators don't understand is that by creating these new devices they eliminate millions of jobs, while only creating a thousand. Eventually not only will the written word cease to be printed in mass qauntities, but it means there will be less and less jobs available for the next generation.

Jesus come back soon!

So far my sanctum remains strong. B&N in my town hasn't indicated that it will be closing up anytime soon. :) However, I was in another town recently and one of three was definitely was gone. :(

I am now an author published on Amazon Kindle! Just look up the following title--

"Flying Girl and Iron Merchant"
by Joseph R. Ravitts

My thanks to my congratulaters! And what's more, the EXTENDED VERSION of The First Love of Alipang Havens should also be up there any day now. Added material in that includes depicting how Alipang first met his friend Summer Heron, and how Brendan Hyland first met his future wife. Also, more of how Alipang's mother interacts with her neighbors on Liddell Street.

A friend of mine was telling me that you can publish your work more easily on Amazon. Finally, the process of getting a book published isn't agonizing and difficult! :)

According to an AOL source Barnes and Noble will be closing down many of their stores next year. As the Nook Stock drop indicated, the eReader isn't doing well compared to Amazon's Kindle. While B&N claims that it will only be closing many of their stores but not all, it is a sign of the inevitable. I fear this could be the end of our bibliophile sanctums. :(

According to an AOL source Barnes and Noble will be closing down many of their stores next year. As the Nook Stock drop indicated, the eReader isn't doing well compared to Amazon's Kindle. While B&N claims that it will only be closing many of their stores but not all, it is a sign of the inevitable. I fear this could be the end of our bibliophile sanctums. :(

All the more reason to go to Europe and find bookstores there.:p
At least we better go to a bookstore or a library. I'd hope there'd be time for that in 19 days.:rolleyes:

On a more serious note though, that's very sad. BARNES AND NOBLE ISN'T ALLOWED TO CLOSE- ITS THE ONLY PLACE I'VE EVER BEEN TO THAT'S EPIC ENOUGH TO HAVE BOOKS AND ESCALATORS IN THE SAME PLACE!

Back