Close fictional friendships

The Hardy boys were close in there original series (albeit brothers)

I remember Eragon and his brother being close.
Ummm.... Button Bright and Ojo in the Oz series, as Well as Dorothy Gale and Ozma (not to mention the Tinman and the Scarecrow were attached at the hip).

Richard/Cara from Legend of the Seeker. In fact all of them are close friends: you have Cara/Kahlan friendship, Cara/Zedd friendship, Zedd/Kahlan friendship, even Zedd/Richard and Richard/Kahlan have wonderful friendship moments - that Zedd is Richard's grandfather sometimes comes secondary to the fact that he is Richard's friend. I love how like family they all are together.

Sam Spade was good friends with his partner (as in detective) before he died. though I'm not sure if it died out because Sam doesn't seem to be bothered by Archer's death. bit then again I', still reading the Maltese Falcon.

Yeah! You have read these! They are good. Very similar idea to Narnia.

O.O Someone else who actually knows about Anthropos!:eek: Amazering!

hmm, how about (forgive me if I've mentioned some of these, I'm tired) Halt, Will and Horace from the Ranger's Apprentice books, Fireheart(star) and Cinderpelt, Cloudtail and Daisy, Mothwing and Leafpool, and Sorreltail and Leafpool from the Warriors cat books.

Oh! And also in Warriors: Brambleclaw, Squirrelflight(paw), Tawnypelt, Stormfur, Feathertail and Crowfeather(paw). They started out as friends at least but some of them did grow closer than friends as time went by... overall though they were just best friends.

I have to say the freindship as such betwee the young Arthur/Merlin in The Merlin BBC Series and Tomas/Pug in Raymond E fiest series The Riftwar series and Arutha/Jimmey the hand in other books by raymond E fiest.

Siblings don't count, Queen Wylia. I was thinking more in terms of friendships where a writer could have introuced romance into the equation, but didn't, opting to just keep two characters intimately close, but nothing romantic or sexual.

Siblings can be intimately close, but there is no chance for them to go any farther.

I just thought about another one. Liesel and Max from "The Book Thief". Max was a Jew who was staying in Liesle's home and he became almose like a big brother to her.

MrBob

They meet in an orphanage and addopted eachother as sibblings that is why I put siblings in quotes. They could have had romantic relationships but were best friends and adopted eachother as sibblings instead.

Guy Montag and Clarisse McClellan in Ray BRadbury's novel Fahrenheit 451. She is his emotional catalyst that leads him on the journey to discovering books in a world were they are aoutlawed. Actually in many ways she is also like the duaghter he never had.

Though in the film version, Francouis Trouffoet made her older,( see clsoe in age) and had her paleyd by the same actress as Guy's wife ( Mildred in the book and Linda in the film) in order to insert a romantic element... and confuse the audience!

Taran and Princess Eilonwy from Walt Disney's The Black Cauldron, I'm not sure how it's handled in the The Chronicles of Prydain book series, as I've yet to read it. but, in the film it is presented as friendship w/ slight hints of love.

Isabelle and Jace in Cassandra Clare's Mortal Instruments series. Also Harry and Hermione from the Harry Potter books.

Yes, I have a soft spot for opposite sex close platonic friendships. :)

I just thought about another one. Liesel and Max from "The Book Thief". Max was a Jew who was staying in Liesle's home and he became almose like a big brother to her.

Good one MrBob, I hadn't thought of Liesel & Max. Has anyone mentioned Turtle Wexler and Christos Theodorakis from The Westing Game?

After seeing the musical production of A Tale of Two Cities last Wednesday night, I thought of another couple, Lucy Manette Darnay and Sidney Carton-- this friendship is the basis for Sidney's powerful choice in the final act, and when he stood next to a young seamstress in line for execution, having taken the place of Lucy's husband, the seamstress asks him why, and he responds: "Because they gave me a family. I'm giving it back." It's not in the book, but it was a great line. Great story.

Back