Close fictional friendships

Why ever is it so difficult to think of non-romantic girl-boy relationships in books and movies? I have seen this thread time and time again and I STILL am trying to think of just one! :p

As for just plain good friendships.. I dunno. There are plenty of those in fiction, but all of them seem to escape my mind atm.

Last edited:
In E.R. Eddison's heroic fantasy "The Worm Ouroboros," a nobleman called Lord Gro has a very close friends-only relationship with a sort of tragic heroine, Queen Prezmyra.

I love guy/girl epic friendships that aren't love and don't need to be.
There are a ton in my favorite author's books.
Kel and Neal and Beka and Rosto are my favorites because readers always wanted them to be in love but it was like "NO. They can just be best friends. It happens."

Also in other books there is Katsa and Skye from the book Graceling.

The three main characters/best friends from the How to Train your Dragon books; Hiccup, Fishlegs and Camicazi. Despite Camicazi being a girl there is no romance between any of them and they think its rather silly to fall in love when you're only around 11-13 years old.
Now, if only kids/teens in THIS time period thought that....:rolleyes:

I love guy/girl epic friendships that aren't love and don't need to be.
There are a ton in my favorite author's books.
Kel and Neal and Beka and Rosto are my favorites because readers always wanted them to be in love but it was like "NO. They can just be best friends. It happens."

In the sci-fi/fantasy novels of Edgar Rice Burroughs, his heroes like Tarzan and John Carter managed to have non-erotic friendships with a number of women.

I once had a close fictional friendship with someone who only wanted to borrow my model plane... :D

Katniss Everdeen and Finnick Odair (The Hunger Games)
Finnick Odair and Johanna Mason (The Hunger Games)
Eragon and Nasuada (The Inheritance Cycle)

This probably doesn't count, but Jacob Wheeler and Thunder Heart Woman's family. Though I'm pretty sure that Dog Star and Loved by the Buffalo weren't the happiest about Jacob entering the family...lol.

Phil Davis and Bob Wallace from White Christmas; who doesn't love that duo anyway?!

And nobody has mentioned them, but Anne and Diana from the Anne of Green Gables books/films! :eek:

Emma Swan and Mary-Margaret Blanchard from Once Upon a Time (nevermind the fact that Emma is technically Mary-Margaret's daughter - neither actually know that, so they're BFFs)

Back