Concerns about Netflix's Narnia

My concern is Netflix ruined Veggietales. They turned it from insightful and often funny trek in faith stories to something resembling kids on sugar high driving go karts.

Netflix also tends to put out more Occultic offerings, Sabrina The Teenage Witch Remake (Netflix property) was sued by the Church of Satan for using their statue of Satan (https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cn...c-temple-netflix-lawsuit-scli-intl/index.html), they won the lawsuit, getting 50 Million! Satan features as major character in the show Sabrina remake. Netflix also took over the series Lucifer, which is a Paradise Lost pity party love the devil program. There are other Netflix exclusive offerings like The Family and etc that depicts Christianity in only Jim Jones cult variants.

So my chief concern is will Netflix which prefers to put out Kingdom of Darkness offerings, be faithful to the Christian allegories Lewis wrote in Narnia? Or will they endeavor to darken the doorpost?

I don't currently have a Netflix subscription. Not because their programming isn't good, but because I just don't know what they have that is worth it. I'm sure it's fine, though. So, I guess my concern would be getting Netflix for this and then not having anything to watch while we wait for more.

Netflix stock is collapsing and they are wasting money on shows like "He's Expecting". Narnia is still in pre-production. Still not encouraged.

I only just now saw Sir Godfrey's post from half a year ago, about Netflix vandalizing VeggieTales. How DARE they? I first encountered VeggieTales videos being shared among American families while I was stationed with the Navy in Japan. Those videos were so constructive, so spirit-lifting! But now, from what Godfrey reported, it appears that Nutflakes (my new name for that outfit) has turned VeggieTales into junk food.

Netflix stock is collapsing and they are wasting money on shows like "He's Expecting". Narnia is still in pre-production. Still not encouraged.
Wow, hadn't heard of that one.

Netflix has so much content in the works, it is crazy. I will probably eventually cancel it, after I get Stranger Things, Cobra Kai, and Jurassic World: Camp Cretaceous all on DVD... and maybe after my daughter's show, Gabby's Dollhouse, is either done or outgrown... but I am holding onto hope that Netflix will make Narnia sometime. They have to do something... they are losing subscribers now. They just posted a loss for the first time in a decade, due to increased pressure from Disney+, Warner Bros. Discovery (the soon to be merged HBO Max & Discovery+), Peacock, and Paramount+.

My only hope is that once Netflix collapses it will sell off its right the the Chronicles of Narnia, YDT Netflix stock has lost 68% of its value.

My only hope is that once Netflix collapses it will sell off its right the the Chronicles of Narnia, YDT Netflix stock has lost 68% of its value.
I believe that a lot of the Netflix losses are coming from the false belief that the pandemic is over, so a lot of people are returning to the office (by choice or because they are being forced), and this is probably the #1 reason for the loss of subscribers leading those who pumped money into the stock early on in the pandemic to see the end in sight for the pandemic, and for people to unsubscribe from it, so the investors are now reaping the rewards.

That, and the increased competition from Disney+ (which I predicted long ago would one day become the #1 streaming platform, and still believe it will), the upcoming combination of HBO Max/Discovery+ into something brand new (my prediction is WB+), and others like Peacock.

We are seeing the same thing happen with Amazon, as people are starting to shop in stores more and more again.

That, and inflation has caused people to cut things they can live without.

Netflix could sell off the Narnia rights, that is true. But to whom should they go? I see no option for Narnia that is without other content that is problematic.

It's in a tough spot.

I also could see Netflix make a crazy good adaptation of the books. It really depends on who they hire to write and direct, and the timing to get the cast they want.

Disney, which has only lost 27% of its stock value YTD, has broader shoulders, so is stronger. But Disney will not take up Narnia again. People will go out more this summer while they can still afford the cost of gas. Netflix may allow a foreign film maker the right to make one movie to see if their is still interest in the franchise. That way if it bombs they lose nothing and actually makes money by selling it out for a tryout. With Netflix's loses they have to have a smash with the audience. They have to make a lot of money. Did you hear about all the money they lost with Prince Harry and Meghan? Screenplay will be written, but nothing will come of it. I will be honest, Narnia is not woke.

Disney, which has only lost 27% of its stock value YTD, has broader shoulders, so is stronger. But Disney will not take up Narnia again. People will go out more this summer while they can still afford the cost of gas. Netflix may allow a foreign film maker the right to make one movie to see if their is still interest in the franchise. That way if it bombs they lose nothing and actually makes money by selling it out for a tryout. With Netflix's loses they have to have a smash with the audience. They have to make a lot of money. Did you hear about all the money they lost with Prince Harry and Meghan? Screenplay will be written, but nothing will come of it. I will be honest, Narnia is not woke.
Being woke or not being woke isn't the issue.

It just won't sell. These streaming companies have incredibly detailed information on you, the user. They can track when you watch, what you watch, how many exact seconds of what components you watch, whether or not you skip or don't skip parts, and on and on and on. They can build profiles of every one of their users and run simulations on whether or not something will be successful with an AI that for all purposes IS YOU and will respond exactly like you'd respond.

If the parameters put in for a Narnia movie or series don't come out the othersidde with "profit", it won't even get considered.

It's not about woke. Or not woke. Or whatever people make up. Woke shows have been cancelled using this methodology. Non woke shows have been renewed. It's simply about one thing: Do the parameters of the show / movie, when input into the test-bed of AIs that replicate us, the paying public, say it'll be successful? If yes, they do it. If no, they don't.

I just learned something new about how Netflix used to handle productions, which may change now that they're restructuring how they spend as of a memo that dropped, I think, today.

Someone I know works/worked on Netflix productions. This person said that Netflix was/is this person's favorite corp to work for because they literally never called, never needed to be included on anything but Production Reports, and very rarely showed up at the office (read: production office). And that it is so nice to have a relaxed relationship with a network.

What this says to me is that, while other studios would get involved, if all Netflix wanted were production reports, that means the creative teams basically have or had the freedom to do what they wanted to do. This means that whomever is on the Narnia creative team would have total freedom to make Narnia the way they wanted to make, only providing production reports to Netflix so they can make sure that it is still on track.

I don't know about you, but that sounds to me like it may have actually been the perfect environment to get the Narnia that we wanted. It's like I have said, it all comes down to the creative team, and until now, I had no idea how accurate that statement was, when it came to Netflix.

Presumably that could be good or bad. You might get a production team that wants to be very faithful to the books, but equally you could get a team that decides to dump most of the book material and create a series 'based on the characters created by CS Lewis'.
Peeps

Exactly. Which is true of any studio that picks up Narnia. In this case, the hands-off approach could lead to the best adaptation in the right hands.

Ironically, it sounds like the right team at other studios than Netflix could lead to bad adaptations, if the hands-off approach sticks around. It sounds as though, how Netflix works is EXACTLY what we would want from a studio with the right team in place.

Casting actors who are well older than their characters. It was named after Dawson's Creek where the teenaged characters were all played by 20 something actors. This movie series has already suffered from it with Georgie Henley the closest in age to her character, especially in LWW (she turned 10 during filming). Ben Barnes in PC was 25, supposedly playing a 17-year-old while his book character was roughly 15. Will Poulter was 17 in VotDT while his book character was about 10-11.

MrBob

Ahhhh. I had no idea that was called Dawson casting. The crazy thing about it is how much that happens in animation (which makes sense) and live action, which doesn't always make the most sense. Mighty Morphin Power Rangers was like that, for a long time. Not sure if it still is, but the original cast was college aged playing high school aged teens.

The movie Grease, which I loved, had major problems with casting of older actors. Olivia Newton John was way older than John Travolta and a good 10 years older than the character she played.

Back