Concerns about Netflix's Narnia

I have always thought the idea (promulgated in the movie) that the Telmarine invasion followed almost immediately after the Pevensies' disappearance makes no sense. One reason for that is Aslan's Howe, which had been constructed over the Stone Table in the interval between the two books. This would have been a huge undertaking with the medieval technology they had in Narnia, that would have taken years or even decades. Not the sort of project that would be started either with the political uncertainty immediately following the Pevensies departure, or if the country was under imminent threat of invasion. So there must have been a stable Aslan worshipping culture in Narnia between the two that lasted for some time, probably several centuries.

As for Netflix, I rather doubt now that they will ever do anything with Narnia.

The Horse and His Boy has a lot of interesting background. A series or season centered around the Golden Age of Narnia, give or take a few decades, would make for great storytelling in the right hands. Aravis and Lasaraleen recount numerous adventures throughout the Calormene countryside, while the adult Pevensies outwit giants, literal and political. Juxtaposed are two would-be arranged marriages; thwarting both evades Calormen while strengthening the bond between Narnia and Archenland.

This got me to thinking which of the other Chronicles might translate well as a series, or a season of a series. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe  and The Voyage of the Dawn Treader are certainly episodic in nature, although they lend themselves to a distinctly linear progression.

Then there's The Silver Chair. Rilian's backstory suggests enough material and mystery for it's own episode. So do the sequences in Aslan's Country, where Jill and Eustace seem to pass through effortlessly at both the beginning, and at the end of the mission. Almost alongside their encounters with Aslan unfolds Caspian's search for his son and Rilian's redemptive reunion with his father. So there is a bit more opportunity there for bilateral storytelling.

In The Last Battle the subplots are more notably intertwined. The schemes of the Calormenes gradually collide with Shift's shenanigans. While the Friends of Narnia gather to surmise its entire history, the last king of Narnia tenaciously tackles the culminating conquest it finally faces. Help emerges, legends are unveiled, and new worlds are discovered. This makes for satisfying, anecdotal storytelling.

Finally, I would posit that Prince Caspian and, especially The Magician's Nephew, offer still more potential as a television series, nearly rivaling that of The Horse and His Boy. Much of the lore in Prince Caspian does come from the characterization of the Telmarines, and I agree their ambiguous arrival comes a long time (but is not a long time coming) after the Pevensies' unanticipated departure. The Magicians Nephew also offers an expansive timeline to explore the last age of Charn, mettle in the imagination of a young Uncle Andrew, traverse the streets of Edwardian London, and hope for the health and healing of Digory's mother, all intercut with a panning shot of an ethereal Wood Between the Worlds.

I concur that bringing the Chronicles to life demands greatness, as Nicole Stratton of The Logos Theater succinctly puts it. It cannot be turned into a modern young adult drama. It can be dramatic and many of the characters are young, but they conduct themselves in a manner worthy of excellence...that befit of royalty. My belief is that a series or season, especially of certain installments in The Chronicles of Narnia, could work well. Where and when that could happen are the perplexing questions that I hope will merit further reflection and consideration...

I am concerned that if too much time and/or funds are used in depicting the period between the start of the Pevensie rule and the start of Prince Caspian, they will run out of time/funds to produce the remaining stories.
Yes, they should stick to the source material first.

As to the other two posts: Yes, Aslan's Howe is further proof that it did not happen immediately after the Pevensies left. Probably the biggest proof was the fact that Caspian was the 10th of the name and the Caspian the 1st was the conqueror. That gives maybe 400 years of Telmarine rule, maybe less since at least one Telmarine decided to kill the king so it might not be a one-off thing.
Voyage of the Dawn Treader is the best book to be made into a series.

Last edited:
Where do I stand on this? I would like to see Narnia adaptions on screen, though I'd be slightly concern if they turn into a action pack or a Lord of the Rings knock off, like Walden tried to do. I'd also be concern that we may get something like Don Bluth's The Secret of Nimh, which is like a really good movie, but it's almost nothing like the book Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh.

Back