Do you think Susan ever made it to Aslan's Country?

Do you think Susan ever made it to Aslan's country?

• Yes

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • No

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Undecided

Votes: 3 23.1%

• Total voters
Susan and Lucy were described as having suitors. In Susan's case, they were the kings of the lands beyond the sea while Lucy was being courted by the princes of those same areas. Nothing was stated about Peter or Edmund.

Personally, I've always imagined Lucy bringing her daughter with her in the chase of the White Stag and bringing her with her through the wardrobe and then trying to explain to her parents how she could even have a daughter. Hilarity (or not) ensues.

Then of course, there is that conflict in The Horse And His Boy where Prince Rabadash wants to marry Susan. It's not explicitly written, being a children's book, but you actually know it's not real. love. He hates her for turning down his marriage proposal, but it makes him want her all the more.

Perhaps, by that time when it is mentioned that Susan is no longer a friend of Narnia, she may have forgotten that she had many suitors, and Rabadash being one of them.

Mister Lewis warned us against assuming that the content of a book directly reflects the author's personality. But Mister Lewis' personality did have an effect. Throughout the years in which he wrote the Chronicles, he had not yet had his experience as a stepfather. While not wishing any ill to children, and although he certainly remembered his own childhood vividly, he simply wasn't placing much emotional emphasis upon the idea of posterity in the Chronicles OR in the Space Trilogy.

The Pevensies - the female ones should have given birth at some point -not having children in their long years in Narnia never made sense to me, even back in the day.

Well, again, this reflects Mister Lewis' non-interest in marriage and child-making at the time he wrote. Probably also narrative convenience. If any of the Pevensie siblings had become parents during the "Golden Age," it would have become a sticky matter for them to LEAVE the Narnian world.

The second half of Copperfox's argument is probably the right answer. Marriage and children would have been very complicating when it came to where they BELONGED. Look at Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame...what did Mole and River Rat...or for that matter Mr. Badger...do for a living? And they were unmarried. As was Mr. Toad. Imagine how having a Mrs. Toad would have complicated his spending the family fortune on a motorcar or horse cart. Yeah. Or Mole leaving his house to go exploring. Yeah.

I think a lot of them not marrying was for convenience and not making things muddled but it was also a children's tale so the marrying and doing grown-up things was not important to the story.

Plus the thought of Sophie Wilcox getting a date is - well what that writer to the BBC's Points of View said in that letter - I'm possibly going to heck for laughing at how miffed Sophie sounded talking about that - "popping out of my cardigan!" ;)

No. And I'm grateful to Lewis for only giving us one such character. One we came to know and love who turned away. In life there will be many more.

Even when in Narnia Susan had troubles with pride and peevishness in PC when Lucy was trying to get them to follow invisible Aslan. Even there she knew but refused to believe, and even gave Lucy a hard time about it. How much worse when she was back home, and started to care only for lipsticks and the like.

At the risk of taking this one too deep:
Hebrews 6:4-6
For in the case of those who have once been enlightened and have tasted of the heavenly gift and have been made partakers of the Holy Spirit,
and have tasted the good word of God and the powers of the age to come,
and then have fallen away, it is impossible to renew them again to repentance, since they again crucify to themselves the Son of God and put Him to open shame.

Yikes. Judas walked with Jesus. How much hope is there for Susan?🤷🏽‍♀️

No. And I'm grateful to Lewis for only giving us one such character. One we came to know and love who turned away. In life there will be many more.

Even when in Narnia Susan had troubles with pride and peevishness in PC when Lucy was trying to get them to follow invisible Aslan. Even there she knew but refused to believe, and even gave Lucy a hard time about it. How much worse when she was back home, and started to care only for lipsticks and the like.

At the risk of taking this one too deep:
Hebrews 6:4-6
For in the case of those who have once been enlightened and have tasted of the heavenly gift and have been made partakers of the Holy Spirit,
and have tasted the good word of God and the powers of the age to come,
and then have fallen away, it is impossible to renew them again to repentance, since they again crucify to themselves the Son of God and put Him to open shame.

Yikes. Judas walked with Jesus. How much hope is there for Susan?🤷🏽‍♀️
How much hope is there for Susan? She has the same amount of hope as there was for the Apostle, Peter, who denied Christ three times (gee, that sounds kind of familiar, like Susan in LWW, PC, and LB) and then repented. She also has the same amount of hope as there was for Edmund who betrayed his siblings and Aslan. Judas despaired, he did not have the heart in him to repent and seek forgiveness; Susan, at the time of her family's death, might have been at the same point as Judas was but since she lived she had plenty of time to get past the despair and turn back to faith.

Readers PARTICIPATE in a story where invited to do so. You are invited to participate in the Chronicles of Narnia by everything left to your imagination. If you think she was saved, you're absolutely right. If you think she was not saved, you're absolutely right. As for what I think and feel, I remember the rich man whom Jesus lauded and asked to sell everything, give to the poor, and follow him. But the rich man went away sorrowful for he had great possessions. That's not to say he died and went to hell, but he missed the chance to become one of Jesus' disciples, possibly an Apostle, and possibly the author of a book of the New Testament. Which is a big deal. I believe Susan made it to Aslan's country, but on her track record as a upper middle class woman who was pretty when she was young and married a prosperous dentist from Kent only to have her youngest son become an artist whom "nobody understands".

I believe that Susan does make it. However, if she continues on the path that is described at the end of TLB, she may end up like the dwarves. Within Aslan's County but not recognizing it as such.

“I am telling you your story, not hers. No one is told any story but their own.”

I look at the stories through a Christian lens, which without a doubt Lewis wrote it under. The true Narnia is heaven, the Narnia it was meant to be before evil/sin was brought into it, much like our own. Having her siblings all die would certainly be a trying thing for anyone, and causes many to question God or even push them further away in anger and grief. Imagining it I would hope she would find solace in God/Aslan and realize there was the only peace, comfort, joy, she could ever want and need.

Back