Is Narnia Unrealistic?

The interesting thing is that if you were only to read the opening chapters of Lion, you'd get the impression that humans were utterly alien to Narnia. The later volumes make clear that humans were not; indeed, they not only were part of Narnia from the beginning, but entrusted with a special role - i.e. only a human could be king or queen of Narnia.

Here's my speculative read on that: Jadis knew from the beginning that only humans could rule Narnia, though it was not a land of humans - it belonged to the creatures themselves. She was not herself human, but when she usurped (or conquered, or whatever) the throne of Narnia, she justified her claim by contending that she was human. The Beavers point this out, though given that they knew the real story, we can assume that other loyal Narnians did as well, so it was a hollow claim.

However, to head off any legitimate human from claiming the throne, she killed or ran off all men in Narnia, and even engaged in some revisionist history to try to obliterate any mention or memory of men in the land. This was why the appearance of the Pevensies was so alarming to her: she had the borders secure, but there was a back door into Narnia from the world of men.

That's one way it could have played out. There might be other hypotheses.

This is a fantasy story derived from imagination.
The story can be whatever you wish it to be.
It does not have to follow reason and rules of logic.

In a story... you can create the situations and timeline however you want without it being "realistic" enough.

This is a fantasy story derived from imagination.
The story can be whatever you wish it to be.
It does not have to follow reason and rules of logic.

In a story... you can create the situations and timeline however you want without it being "realistic" enough.
The Dark Knight was entirely fiction, and yet it tried as hard as it could to look like it could really happen. The payoff? It's rated #6 out of the top rated movies on IMDb, and the second-largest grossing movie in film history. ;)

The Chronicles of Narnia is a fantasy fiction book series. It doesn't have to be 'realistic' to be a good series. It wouldn't be as interesting if the Narnians had guns instead of swords, think about it.

The Chronicles of Narnia is a fantasy fiction book series. It doesn't have to be 'realistic' to be a good series. It wouldn't be as interesting if the Narnians had guns instead of swords, think about it.
That, I agree. Swords create drama. Guns are just action tools. :rolleyes:

Besides, you can't use a gun to clean a fish, whittle a useful tool, or open a sack of potatoes. Trust me, I've used up many a box of cartridges attempting just those things.

Problem is, if you spend too much time looking, you'll have plenty of arrows coming right at you.

They are ouchie and quite unsanitary.

Yeah. And whats wrong with bows and arrows anyway?:confused::mad:

His thoughts exactly:

ay0br7.jpg

Back