museum hopping

Has anyone here ever been inside the Hermitage? It's on my bucket list. I would love to hear what not to miss while visiting there.

One unforgettable experience I had years ago was the tour through Yad Vashem in Jerusalem, especially the Children's Memorial. The memory has haunted me for years... probably the most powerful museum experience I have ever had.

I got to go to the Hermitage for three days in a row back in the early 90's. The painting Inkspot referred to is wonderful -- as are all the Rembrandts. Also the rooms and rooms of Impressionist masterpieces are amazing. The palace itself is stunning -- There is a gorgeous room with all this malachite (a dark green marbled stone) on the columns... and the great staircases are impressive. I really liked the ancient art there too. Tip: Take your sketchbook!!

Last edited:
Excellent suggestion, Inky, I haven't read the book but it's now on my must read list. Thanks!
You won't regret it.
I got to go to the Hermitage for three days in a row back in the early 90's. The painting Inkspot referred to is wonderful -- as are all the Rembrandts. Also the rooms and rooms of Impressionist masterpieces are amazing. The palace itself is stunning -- There is a gorgeous room with all this malachite (a dark green marbled stone) on the columns... and the great staircases are impressive. I really liked the ancient art there too. Tip: Take your sketchbook!!

Now I am even more jealous! (Malachite) Green with envy ...
It would be wonderful to go back; your description makes me want to see it.

to GreenSawMill
alas I did not see White House at night (perhaps it was on loan? I think I would have remembered seeing That painting)

Today a friend and i got to spend some time in the sculpture garden in the north campus of UCLA. It was fun, for many of the works feel like old friends from when I did grad work there years ago. One white statue of a woman looking over her shoulder always reminds me of Lot's wife looking back and getting zapped, and then there is a huge heart shaped pretzel like one under a group of trees that I used to like to read under when I was a student there.

There was also an exhibit in the small gallery adjacent to the garden, but it was pretty avant garde and most of the artistic messages went over my head. (Like the media installation of two women wrestling and throwing things at each other?? hmmmm what was that about) Another piece did demonstrate you can do some amazing things with sticks and paint though.

Last edited:
I saw this huge carving from a palace in Persia at the LA County Art Museum and it made me think of Tash...

Attachments

• downsize-9.jpg
    downsize-9.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 29
Henri Nouwen went inside the Hermitage and wrote a book about his encounter with "The Return of the Prodigal Son." If I ever got there, I would definitely spend an hour with that painting ...

I hope you get to go GSM!

Well, Inky, I finished Henri Nouwen's book "The Return of the Prodigal Son" today, THANKS so much for the book suggestion. It was well worth the read. I learned a great deal about Rembrandt but far more about this amazing parable. Now, yes, I would know what my highlight will someday be when I check off that Hermitage visit from my bucket list.

Thank you for telling me this! I thought it was so good and recommended it strongly -- then I wonder if a book like this just speaks to me and won't actually click with another person.

Benisse, I love that shot of Tash. It looks so much like the Bynes illustration.

I got to open C.S.Lewis' Wardrobe at the Wade Center!

I got to see some great exhibits while visiting my son for Family Weekend at his college in Illinois last week --
Highlights:
... a history and sociological exhibit of Chocolate (the post exhibit store was especially yummmmy) plus many amazing sights at the Field Museum
... an eyepopping full day (till 8pm) at the Chicago Institute of Art
... Parables in Art at the Billy Graham Center [here is a link where you can see highlights from this beautiful collection <http://tinyurl.com/ParablesExhibit>] plus other cool exhibits there

But my favorite museum of all that I got to see on my vacation was the Wade Center which featured many personal belongings from C.S. Lewis, plus some original art by Pauline Baynes as well as props from the Walden Narnia movies, and art and memorabilia from other Inklings such as J.R.R. Tolkien, Charles Williams, and Owen Barfield. Also represented in this research library are papers and artifacts from Dorothy Sayers, George MacDonald and G.K. Chesterton.

My family and I got to hear a presentation at the Wade Center by Will Vaus on his most recent book on C.S Lewis, Speaking of Jack, which is a great resource for those wanting to start a C.S. Lewis society or book discussion group. Vaus has also written The Hidden Story of Narnia: A Book-By-Book Guide to C. S. Lewis' Spiritual Themes, and co-authored Mere Theology with Doug Gresham. It was great to hear the story of how Vaus fell in love with Lewis' writings through the wardrobe door, and more. Here is a photo of the Wardrobe that belonged to C.S. Lewis on display at the Wade Center. It was simply standing there not far from Lewis' writing desk and you could walk up to the wardrobe and open it yourself...

Attachments

• downsize-14.jpg
    downsize-14.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 20
I got to see some great exhibits while visiting my son for Family Weekend at his college in Illinois last week

Your son must be at Wheaton College, and I am a great fan. Emeritus Professor Wayne Martindale wrote one of the best commentaries I have ever read on Lewis' works, called Beyond the Shadowlands. Todd Beamer, one of my heroes, is also an alumnus.

Your vacation sounds stellar, Linda! I can't believe your son is already off to college, though. Please give him my best.

I would love to see those things ... when we go to our younger girl's college graduation in Milwaukee next May, we will prolly fly into Chicago. I will def try to stay a few days and see Wade Center. Is it in Chicago?

That's so very cool! We did the Field Museum last time we made the trek, and they were having a pirate exhibit. Also went to the Aquarium across the way there, loved it.

Wheaton is about 30 minutes southwest of Chicago... but the Wade Center is worth the trip. Check on open hours though before you make the drive.

Last edited:
Yesterday I got to go to a museum not far from Disneyland that was hosting a special exhibition called The Word: Ink and Blood, which covered the history of how we got the Bible in English from cuneiform and the Dead Sea Scrolls to the break through of vernacular translations in the 16th-17th Century and how many gave their lives so that we could read God's word in our heart language.

Parts were quite moving to think about the dedication and passion that certain people like Wycliff, Tyndale, and others had for scripture... something that we so easily take for granted.

Last edited:
Yesterday I got to go to a museum not far from Disneyland that was hosting a special exhibition called The Word: Ink and Blood, which covered the history of how we got the Bible in English from cuneiform and the Dead Sea Scrolls to the break through of vernacular translations in the 16th-17th Century and how many gave their lives so that we could read God's word in our heart language.

Parts were quite moving to think about the dedication and passion that certain people like Wycliff, Tyndale, and others had for scripture... something that we so easily take for granted.

Tyndale in particular is a hero of mine... I should remember him in the "Heroes" thread. Great theme for a museum!

The Word: Ink and Blood originated in Tennessee but I am not sure where it will go after it leaves Anaheim in September. I'll see what I can find out and post it if I do...

As far as I could tell Anaheim's Muzeo is the latest stop for the Word: Ink and Blood exhibition... although it probably is in-between venues now.

Today I went to a science of archaeology exhibit with tie-ins to the Indiana Jones movies. I'm not a fan of that franchise, but the exhibit was actually quite interesting. There were lots of video displays and clips that played on the interactive exhibit guide/headset we all got as we entered, plus lots of movie memorabilia, and interesting factoids about the actual archaeological finds that inspired artifacts, etc. in the movies.

We had just got to the prop used as the ark of the covenant when the electricity in the building went out! It was not pitch black, but you know there are not that many windows in a museum gallery, so it was nice that we got ushered out by staff and issued free return vouchers. As we were driving home I asked my daughter and her friends what they had learned about archaeology so far in the exhibit. Their response was that they had been so busy watching the movie clips and videos and looking at the props, they didn't notice anything about archaeology.

Oh well, maybe when we go back they will absorb more. Meanwhile, it was an entertaining afternoon.

Attachments

• ark of the covenant.jpg
    ark of the covenant.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 16
Oh I am an Indy fan -- at least, the first movie and "The Last Crusade." The others kind of lost me. But I bet I would have enjoyed the exhibit! Thanks for the review. :)

The Leonardo3 (Leonardo da Vinci) museum in Milan, Italy, is sponsoring an international exhibit, and some friends treated me to the traveling exhibit for my birthday yesterday :D Wow! what a fascinating, impressive, interactive and intense experience!
Highlights:
• lots models of his designs (though missing his shoes designed to walk on water), plus % ratings as to design and how successful each invention was in accomplishing its purpose
• an enormous digital restoration of his fresco, ❤ The Last Supper ❤ (including restoring Jesus' feet that had been cut out to make room for a door),
• and a simulator of a paddleboat da Vinci invented (one person works the paddles and one handles the rudder while the two of you try not to crash into the sides of the canal and make it under the bridges intact!)
• lots of interactive stations bringing aspects of the engineering, technique/restoration (for selected artworks), and the development of certain pieces into focus.

For this forum, however I particularly would recommend the magnificent, golden, mechanical lion that Leonardo da Vinci created for King Francis I of France: this robotic creature majestically succesfully walked to the king and delivered a bouquet of lilies hidden within its chest! Here is where you can watch the model reconstructed from da Vinci's drawings in action:
Screenshot 2024-04-23 at 2.29.40 PM.png

The Denver area, where Wood Nymph and I live, has a number of small but memorable museums.

The town of Littleton boasts a local-history museum including a preserved farmstead with 19th-century tools. The town of Aurora has a similar museum, including a preserved streetcar (which Wood Nymph tells me is very like the ones in New Orleans). The town of Golden is home to a railroad museum, AND a museum of mining with numerous mineral samples.

Back