Peepiceek's Odd-One-Out Quiz

Thank you Peepiceek for restarting this great thread.

#64 Is Aravis the odd one out -- because Liln, Polly, and Jadis all had their origins in a world other than Narnia, whereas Aravis simply originated out of the land of Narnia?
I don't think Liln originated in a different world - the text doesn't say one way or another.

This one is very tricky, so I'll give hints. Here's a first hint: the order of the clues is significant. They are in chronological order (from which you may deduce that the Polly clue does not refer to TMN and the Jadis clue does not refer to LWW).

Peeps

Number 67:
The torch-it was used to find the way to the other gifts from Father Christmas.
Aha, you've seen a connection even further than I intended, but yes you are correct. All I had intended was that while three are gifts to the Pevensie children from Father Christmas, Edmund's gift was received from someone else on a different occasion. But you are correct that the torch was used to relocate the other gifts - I hadn't even thought of that. If I had put 'bow' instead of 'horn' then your answer would have fitted even better (since they didn't find the horn with the torch).

Peeps

Which of the following is "odd thing out"? Note that here I do NOT have in mind the fact that one is located on Earth.

1 ) Experiment House.

2 ) The Telmarine school where "Miss Prizzle" was a teacher.

3 ) The home of the Hermit of Archenland.
The obvious answer jumping out to me is that 1 and 2 are schools where people were not learning much, while 3 was not a school but Aravis and Bree learned a lot there. Am I on the right lines?

Peeps

I've been really nostalgic for this community lately. You all are so much fun and encouraging. This thread of yours is one of my favorites, Peeps. I'm really glad how you've kept it going over the years. It looks like there are several puzzles still needing solved, so I'll have a go at a couple of them.

#61. (tricky)
(a) One of the last people in England with fairy blood
(b) King Edmund
(c) Caspian’s would-be father-in-law
(d) Lord Bern

I'm sure curious about this one. Mrs. Lefay had a box with dust presumed to be from Atalntis. Atlantis is a long-lost island, and Ramandu and Bern were each on islands, but I don't see any particular way these islands connect. Timmy already suggested a connection of prisoners, which made me think of exiles (at least Ramandu and Bern could be considered exiles), but I don't think that is what you're looking for. Ramandu gave his daughter in marriage to Caspian, and Lord Bern had also married a woman of the islands. Though I don't see a connection with the theme of marriage for either Lefay or King Edmund.

#64. (tricky)
(a) Aravis
(b) Liln
(c) Jadis
(d) Polly

Ok, I admit I looked up the character name Liln online. I normally don't "cheat" with these clues, but my brain had forgotten who Liln was. Then I saw Peep's good clue about the end of The Horse and His Boy, which led me to a paragraph about a lovely feast on the lawn before the castle at Anvard, "with dozens of lanterns to help the moonlight..." (Don't you'll just LOVE the way C.S. Lewis writes?!)

Aravis and Cor think they will be bored but the engaging storytelling utterly delights them, including "...the poet [who] sang the great old lay of Fair Olvin and how he fought the Giant Pire and turned him into stone (and that is the origin of Mount Pire - it was a two-headed giant) and won the Lady Liln for his bride..."

I thought I'd start here because I believe this is the only place Liln is mentioned, making her the easiest character to assess for key information when comparing her to Aravis, Jadis and Polly. This one is tricky, because I do see some connections, but only between two of the ladies at a time. For example, Liln and Aravis both became someone's bride (Olivn's and Cor's), however I don't think either Jadis or Polly ever have any mention of being married. There is also a connection with giants, because Liln was wed to Olvin as a result of fighting Pire; Jadis is said to be part giant. However I don't remember any encounters with giants for either Aravis or Polly. Or could the connection be stone? Jadis had turned people and a giant to stone. Olvin turned Pire to stone. Did Aravis or Polly turn anyone to stone??? Did they have stone figurines or something?? Okay, I admit that now I'm grasping here, but if I'm on the right track with any of these, please let us know! It's fun nonetheless.

Tirian

I'm glad you're still wrestling with my quizzes :) These ones are both pretty tricky (and you are nowhere close with your guesses yet, sorry), so I will give you some clues.

"One of the last people in England with fairy blood" does NOT refer to Mrs Lefay. Uncle Andrew mentions some others alongside her. That may be enough to push you in the direction of an answer, but if you need more clues I can provide some.

For #64, the order of the clues is key to this question. For example, the fact that Polly is clue (d) should indicate that it is NOT referring to her in TMN. I will also say that you don't need to know anything more about Lady Liln except her name... Again, those might be enough to push you in the right direction, but I can give more clues if you need.

Peeps

Dukes and Duchesses! (does that not sound like something Trumpkin might say?!)

In #61 (d) Lord Bern was made Duke of the Lone Islands. Choice (a) could then refer to the unnamed duchess (the other remaining mortal with fairy blood was simply a charwoman, which I just learned is an English word for housekeeper). Wasn't (b) Edmund titled Duke of _____ ....somewhere?...it's eclipsing my memory. Is royal blood the connection here?? If so, is Edmund the odd one out for being the only one to be a monarch.

Is the reasoning in #64 similar? Do they all have royal titles except Polly? (Queen Aravis, Lady Liln, Jadis as Empress of the Lone Islands/Chatelaine of Cair Paravel). Polly was called "aunt" by the younger friends of Narnia. But then again I think that you indicated that the reference to Jadis is chronologically after Aravis and Liln. So I'm stumped because I don't remember her being mentioned by that name that far into the chronicles.

Okay, I also just printed a list of some of the other unsolved ones so I can get a better look at them all. I do intend to solve at least a few of them!

Dukes and Duchesses! (does that not sound like something Trumpkin might say?!)

In #61 (d) Lord Bern was made Duke of the Lone Islands. Choice (a) could then refer to the unnamed duchess (the other remaining mortal with fairy blood was simply a charwoman, which I just learned is an English word for housekeeper). Wasn't (b) Edmund titled Duke of _____ ....somewhere?...it's eclipsing my memory. Is royal blood the connection here?? If so, is Edmund the odd one out for being the only one to be a monarch.

Is the reasoning in #64 similar? Do they all have royal titles except Polly? (Queen Aravis, Lady Liln, Jadis as Empress of the Lone Islands/Chatelaine of Cair Paravel). Polly was called "aunt" by the younger friends of Narnia. But then again I think that you indicated that the reference to Jadis is chronologically after Aravis and Liln. So I'm stumped because I don't remember her being mentioned by that name that far into the chronicles.

Okay, I also just printed a list of some of the other unsolved ones so I can get a better look at them all. I do intend to solve at least a few of them!
Good work. Yes, Edmund was made Duke of Lantern Waste. You're tantalisingly close to the right answer, but you need a little more work on (c). Hint: it isn't Ramandu.

You are getting closer on the other one too. My hint would be, what do the Narnians refer to Digory and Polly as in TLB? And also, how is Jadis referred to in PC?

Peeps

"Duke of Galma" popped into my mind. I love how I still know right where to look, when something very Narnian does finally pop into mind. On Board the Dawn Treader, Drinian recounts the tournament at Galma, one of the closer islands visited before the Pevensies joined the ship. The duke wanted Caspian to marry his daughter. Caspian referred to her as "Squints and has freckles."

So now we definitively have one duchess and three dukes. So is the odd one out the Dukes of Hazzard?...Oh no wait, that's not mentioned in the Chronicles. Could it be Duke Nukem?...Ah no sorry, he's from the Captain Planet cartoon series I grew up with.

So all we know about the duchess is that she was one of the last mortals in this country who had fairy blood in her. So the duchess could be the odd one out for having fairy blood in her. Or she could be the odd one out for (presumably) being a duchess somewhere on Earth, whereas the others are dukes of provinces within the Narnian realm.

Jadis is referred to as the White Lady by the Hag and Werewolf. Polly is referred to as Lady Polly. Liln is the lady Fair Olivn won for his bride. So does that leave Aravis as the odd one out, because she is a girl, or because she had a title different than lady, namely Tarkheena?

Haha, now you're looking for too much. The duchess is the odd one out, as the other three are dukes :)

Ok, we're getting close with the other one. So, you are correct that Polly is referred to as Lady Polly in TLB, and Jadis as the White Lady in PC. We have already seen Lady Liln. So, we need to find some connection with Aravis and 'Lady', and then the odd one out should become clear.

Peeps

Sweet! Score one for #61! :cool:

I'm still thinking about Aravis in #64. (If anybody else knows, please feel free to steal my thunder!)

Meanwhile, let us remember to look at #66:

#66. (medium)
(a) not shutting oneself in a wardrobe
(b) the cleaning of a sword
(c) the spelling of abhominable
(d) a vivid dream

Edmund in (a) forgot how foolish it is to shut oneself into a wardrobe. Peter in (b) forgot to clean his sword after killing...the wolf...presumably Maugrim (whom one might nickname Fenrus Ulf). I believe the vivid dream in (d) refers to Jill's dream in the House of Harfang. These three were things forgotten, or that the relative character needed help remembering or reminded of. However, in (c) Peter, the High King in Command, remembers the emphatic spelling of abHominable with the letter "H" in real time, as he is dictating the letter to the pretender-king Miraz. Thus (c) is the odd one out! :geek:

And back on #64:

#64. (tricky)
(a) Aravis
(b) Liln
(c) Jadis
(d) Polly

I found a connection with Aravis and "lady." After Aravis and Hwin cross paths with Shasta and Bree (for the first time), Aravis tells them her story. When recollecting about how she evaded her marriage to Ahoshta, she relays the pretense of telling her father she would go into the woods for days as part of her preparation to do sacrifices to Zardeenah, Lady of the Night.

I hope this is the connection you're looking for. Does this mean that Aravis is the odd one out because she believes in Zardeenah the Lady of the Night, although she does not intend to sacrifice to her? The other three choices are ladies that characters actually sought out. They all sort of become ladies of myth or legend.

And back on #64:

#64. (tricky)
(a) Aravis
(b) Liln
(c) Jadis
(d) Polly

I found a connection with Aravis and "lady." After Aravis and Hwin cross paths with Shasta and Bree (for the first time), Aravis tells them her story. When recollecting about how she evaded her marriage to Ahoshta, she relays the pretense of telling her father she would go into the woods for days as part of her preparation to do sacrifices to Zardeenah, Lady of the Night.

I hope this is the connection you're looking for. Does this mean that Aravis is the odd one out because she believes in Zardeenah the Lady of the Night, although she does not intend to sacrifice to her? The other three choices are ladies that characters actually sought out. They all sort of become ladies of myth or legend.
Aravis is referred to as 'Lady Aravis' when Cor comes to see her and the horses at the Hermit's lodge. That is the Aravis connection.

Peeps

Sweet! Score one for #61! :cool:

I'm still thinking about Aravis in #64. (If anybody else knows, please feel free to steal my thunder!)

Meanwhile, let us remember to look at #66:

#66. (medium)
(a) not shutting oneself in a wardrobe
(b) the cleaning of a sword
(c) the spelling of abhominable
(d) a vivid dream

Edmund in (a) forgot how foolish it is to shut oneself into a wardrobe. Peter in (b) forgot to clean his sword after killing...the wolf...presumably Maugrim (whom one might nickname Fenrus Ulf). I believe the vivid dream in (d) refers to Jill's dream in the House of Harfang. These three were things forgotten, or that the relative character needed help remembering or reminded of. However, in (c) Peter, the High King in Command, remembers the emphatic spelling of abHominable with the letter "H" in real time, as he is dictating the letter to the pretender-king Miraz. Thus (c) is the odd one out! :geek:
It is a long time since I made these - I can't actually remember the answer to this for certain, and my answer sheet is on my other computer from which I am currently separated. You are definitely on the right lines about remembering and forgetting. I can't remember (ironically!) exactly what (d) refers to, but I don't think it was Jill's dream. It would be something where the book uses the exact phrase "vivid dream". I have a feeling it may refer to a dream that someone wanted to forget, which would make it the odd one out, since the others are things that people ought to remember.

Peeps

It is a long time since I made these - I can't actually remember the answer to this for certain, and my answer sheet is on my other computer from which I am currently separated. You are definitely on the right lines about remembering and forgetting. I can't remember (ironically!) exactly what (d) refers to, but I don't think it was Jill's dream. It would be something where the book uses the exact phrase "vivid dream". I have a feeling it may refer to a dream that someone wanted to forget, which would make it the odd one out, since the others are things that people ought to remember.

Peeps
I was reunited with my answers, and I was correct. (d) refers to a vivid dream that Lucy had tried to forget, but at the Dark Island it came back to her.

Peeps

To save you trawling back through, this is the set of puzzles that have not yet been solved:

#44.
(a) “Mustard, please.”
(b) “S-s-s-h, less noise.”
(c) “The Elephant is quite right.”
(d) “Well, I’ll take the offer.”

#46.
(a) Uncle Andrew
(b) The Hermit of the Southern Marches
(c) Lucy
(d) Tirian

#48.
(a) Bree
(b) Aravis
(c) Peter & Edmund
(d) Tirian, Eustace & Jill

#56.
(a) "That's likely enough to be true."
(b) "Compose yourself and tell us what the danger is."
(c) "Out ours for Narnia."
(d) "Mustard, please."

#57a.
(a) Digory's (first) visit to Narnia
(b) The first time all four Pevensies visited Narnia
(c) The second time all four Pevensies visited Narnia
(d) Eustace and Jill's final visit to Narnia

#57b.
(a) Digory and Polly’s visit to Charn
(b) Digory and Polly’s (first) visit to Narnia
(c) Lucy's first visit to Narnia

#58.
(a) Dragon Island
(b) Burnt Island
(c) Deathwater Island
(d) Ramandu’s Island

#60.
(a) the Queen
(b) the true King
(c) Queen Susan
(d) Your Majesty

#61.
(a) One of the last people in England with fairy blood
(b) King Edmund
(c) Caspian’s would-be father-in-law
(d) Lord Bern

#62.
(a) Peter, Professor Kirke
(b) Edmund, Edmund
(c) The bullies, Jill Pole
(d) Polly, Uncle Andrew

#63.
(a) Arsheesh
(b) The Hermit of the Southern Marches
(c) King Lune
(d) King Lune

#65.
(a) the bar of a lamp-post
(b) some scrap metal
(c) a toffee
(d) an apple

#68.
(a) an exceedingly expensive and ostentatious lunch
(b) some tattered old boy’s clothes
(c) Caspian
(d) some oranges and bananas

#69.
(a) Jadis
(b) Trumpkin
(c) Sopespian & Glozelle
(d) Roonwit

So #61 has been solved then, right? One duchess and three dukes.

I'll try #68. Uncle Andrew had to pawn his watch and chain in order to entertain Jadis to (a) the exceedingly expensive and ostentatious lunch that she demanded. Although Bree, Hwin, Shasta and Aravis raided some farms before they entered Tashbaan, they had to fairly buy and pay for (b) some tattered old boy's clothes in a village. Lord Bern bought (c) Caspian for a hundred fifty crescents on Felimath in The Lone Islands. Shift sent Puzzle down river to Chippingford on market day to see if they had any oranges or bananas, but they did not. So all were bought except (d), since Shift found there were no oranges or bananas. So does that make (d) the odd one out?

I like your reasoning on #68, Tirian!
#57b.
(a) Digory and Polly’s visit to Charn
(b) Digory and Polly’s (first) visit to Narnia
(c) Lucy's first visit to Narnia

This guess may not be nuanced enough but I think B could be the odd one out because A,C,D marked the end of a world or age (A-Charn, C-the wintry reign of the White Witch, D-Narnia) whereas B marked the beginning of Narnia.

On the other hand, D might be the odd one out because the means by which Eustace and Jill traveled to a different world was not by portal in The Last Battle; whereas in (A) & (B) Digory and Polly with the help of rings jumped through pools to get to Charn and Narnia in The Magician's Nephew, and in (C) Lucy traveled through the Wardrobe in LWW.

So #61 has been solved then, right? One duchess and three dukes.

I'll try #68. Uncle Andrew had to pawn his watch and chain in order to entertain Jadis to (a) the exceedingly expensive and ostentatious lunch that she demanded. Although Bree, Hwin, Shasta and Aravis raided some farms before they entered Tashbaan, they had to fairly buy and pay for (b) some tattered old boy's clothes in a village. Lord Bern bought (c) Caspian for a hundred fifty crescents on Felimath in The Lone Islands. Shift sent Puzzle down river to Chippingford on market day to see if they had any oranges or bananas, but they did not. So all were bought except (d), since Shift found there were no oranges or bananas. So does that make (d) the odd one out?
Yes, #61 the duchess was the odd one out as the other three are dukes.

A perfect answer on #68! :)

Back