Quotes By C.S. Lewis

Son of Adam

Pastor of Narnia
Knight of the Noble Order
Emeritus
I thought I'd start a post that will contain only some great quotes by Mr. Lewis during his lifetime. If you have any, feel free to put them here for all of us to read and enjoy.

Quote:

"The great thing to remember is that, though our feelings come
and go, His love for us does not."

-- C. S. Lewis

I'm so gonna love this thread!!! This isn't my favorite quote, but it's in front of me at the moment so here it is.

"You cannot go on 'explaining away' for ever; you will find that you have explained explanation itself away. You cannot go on 'seeing through' things for ever. The whole point of seeing through something is to see something through it." -CS Lewis

Here's another one I like...

"Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important."

Last edited:
I'm so gonna love this thread!!! This isn't my favorite quote, but it's in front of me at the moment so here it is.

"You cannot go on 'explaining away' for ever; you will find that you have explained explanation itself away. You cannot go on 'seeing through' things for ever. The whole point of seeing through something is to see something through it." -CS Lewis

"Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important."

Those are both really cool quotes

Those are both really cool quotes

Thanks...Jack had a lot of great things to say. Do you have any quotes of his that you love?

"It was when I was happiest that I longed the most...The sweetest thing in all my life has been the longing...to find the place where all the beauty came from." -CS Lewis

"It is hard to have patience with people who say 'there is no death' or 'death doesn't matter.' There is death. And whatever is matters. And whatever happens has consequences, and it and they are irrevocable and irreversible. You might as well say that birth doesn't matter."

This is gonna be so cool with all the quotes. Here's mine for the day:

"Never, never pin your whole faith on any human being: not if he
is the best and wisest in the whole world. There are lots of
nice things you can do with sand; but do not try building a
house on it."

-- C. S. Lewis

Possibly my favorite, in view of the unfortunately large number of preachers who give their congregations ONLY infantile pablum, is: "Anyone can be simple if he has no facts to bother about" (MERE CHRISTIANITY).

My favorite is this one:
I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.

Here's another good one...

"Love anything and your heart will be wrung and possibly broken. If you want to make sure of keeping it intact you must give it to no one, not even an animal. Wrap it carefully round with hobbies and little luxuries; avoid all entanglements. Lock it up safe in the casket or coffin of your selfishness. But in that casket, safe, dark, motionless, airless, it will change. It will not be broken; it will become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredeemable. To love is to be vulnerable."

Here's another good one...

"Love anything and your heart will be wrung and possibly broken. If you want to make sure of keeping it intact you must give it to no one, not even an animal. Wrap it carefully round with hobbies and little luxuries; avoid all entanglements. Lock it up safe in the casket or coffin of your selfishness. But in that casket, safe, dark, motionless, airless, it will change. It will not be broken; it will become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredeemable. To love is to be vulnerable."

that is a really nice quote. it's very true and beautiful.

here's mine:

"We are all fallen creatures and all very hard to live with."

it's more on the light side :)

My C.S. Lewis quote of the day:

"Christ died for men precisely because men are not worth dying for; to make them worth it."

Here's another one I like a lot...it can be quite convicting...

"A proud man is always looking down on things and people; and, of course, as long as you're looking down, you can't see something that's above you."

I like this one:

"There will be two kinds of people in the end: Those that will say to God `Thy will be done` and those to whom God will say `Thy will be done.`"

C.S. Lewis' quote of the day:

"What seem our worst prayers may really be, in God's eyes, our best. Those, I mean, which are least supported by devotional feeling. For these may come from a deeper level than feeling. God sometimes seems to speak to us most intimately when He catches us, as it were, off our guard."

Finally got to put another one on...

"The real problem is not why some pious, humble, believing people suffer, but why some do not." -CS Lewis

Here's an interesting one. One of which shows Lewis' love for animals and nature.

"If we cut up beasts simply because they cannot prevent us and because we are backing our own side in the struggle for existence, it is only logical to cut up imbeciles, criminals, enemies, or capitalists for the same reasons."

Back