TDL Oscars

So the list of winners!
I am so so so so so so so so so so happy Sean Penn won. "Milk" is my favourite movie, and he was brilliant, and he deserved to win. I am disappointed "Milk" didn't win Best Picture, but I think "Slumdog" was brilliant, too, so it's not that bad.

I was so happy when Kate Winslet won! She is brilliant and finally got her long-awaited Oscar, and I loved her in "The Reader."

And, of course, I sobbed when Heath Ledger won.

I gagged when Robert Pattinson came on stage. I mean, really? He's an awful actor, it was an awful movie...he did not deserve to be on that stage for anything.

Best Motion Picture
WINNER: "Slumdog Millionaire"
· "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button"
· "Frost/Nixon"
· "Milk"
· "The Reader"

Performance By An Actor In A Leading Role
WINNER: Sean Penn in "Milk"
· Richard Jenkins in "The Visitor"
· Frank Langella in "Frost/Nixon"
· Brad Pitt in "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button"
· Mickey Rourke in "The Wrestler"

Performance By An Actress In A Leading Role
WINNER: Kate Winslet in "The Reader"
· Anne Hathaway in "Rachel Getting Married"
· Angelina Jolie in "Changeling"
· Melissa Leo in "Frozen River"
· Meryl Streep in "Doubt"

Performance By An Actor In A Supporting Role
WINNER: Heath Ledger in "The Dark Knight"
· Josh Brolin in "Milk"
· Robert Downey Jr. in "Tropic Thunder"
· Philip Seymour Hoffman in "Doubt"
· Michael Shannon in "Revolutionary Road"

Performance By An Actress In A Supporting Role
WINNER: Penélope Cruz in "Vicky Cristina Barcelona"
· Amy Adams in "Doubt"
· Viola Davis in "Doubt"
· Taraji P. Henson in "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button"
· Marisa Tomei in "The Wrestler"

Achievement In Directing
WINNER: Danny Boyle for "Slumdog Millionaire"
· David Fincher for "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button"
· Ron Howard for "Frost/Nixon"
· Gus Van Sant for "Milk"
· Stephen Daldry for "The Reader"

Adapted Screenplay
WINNER: "Slumdog Millionaire," by Simon Beaufoy
· "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button," screenplay by Eric Roth, screen story by Eric Roth and Robin Swicord
· "Doubt," by John Patrick Shanley
· "Frost/Nixon," by Peter Morgan
· "The Reader," by David Hare

Original Screenplay
WINNER: "Milk," by Dustin Lance Black
· "Frozen River," by Courtney Hunt
· "Happy-Go-Lucky," by Mike Leigh
· "In Bruges," by Martin McDonagh
· "WALL-E," screenplay by Andrew Stanton, Jim Reardon; original story by Andrew Stanton, Pete Docter

Achievement In Music Written For Motion Pictures (Original Song)
WINNER: "Jai Ho" from "Slumdog Millionaire" Music by A.R. Rahman, Lyric by Gulzar
· "Down to Earth" from "WALL-E" by Peter Gabriel and Thomas Newman
· "O Saya" from "Slumdog Millionaire" Music and Lyric by A.R. Rahman and Maya Arulpragasam

Achievement In Music Written For Motion Pictures (Original Score)
WINNER: "Slumdog Millionaire," A.R. Rahman
· "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button," Alexandre Desplat
· "Defiance," James Newton Howard
· "Milk," Danny Elfman
· "WALL-E," (Walt Disney) Thomas Newman

Achievement In Cinematography
· "Changeling"
· "The Dark Knight"
· "The Reader"

Achievement In Film Editing
WINNER: "Slumdog Millionaire," Chris Dickens
· "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button," Kirk Baxter and Angus Wall
· "The Dark Knight," Lee Smith
· "Frost/Nixon," Mike Hill and Dan Hanley
· "Milk," Elliot Graham

Achievement In Costume Design
WINNER: "The Duchess"
· "Australia"
· "Milk"
· "Revolutionary Road"

Achievement In Art Direction
WINNER: "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button"
· "Changeling"
· "The Dark Knight"
· "The Duchess"
· "Revolutionary Road"

Best Animated Feature Film
WINNER: "WALL-E"
· "Bolt"
· "Kung Fu Panda"

Best Animated Short Film
WINNER: "La Maison en Petits Cubes"
· "Lavatory - Lovestory"
· "Oktapodi"
· "Presto"
· "This Way Up"

Best Live Action Short Film
WINNER: "Spielzeugland (Toyland)"
· "Auf der Strecke (On the Line)"
· "Manon on the Asphalt"
· "New Boy"
· "The Pig"

Best Documentary Feature
WINNER: "Man on Wire"
· "The Betrayal (Nerakhoon)"
· "Encounters at the End of the World"
· "The Garden"
· "Trouble the Water"

Best Documentary Short Subject
WINNER: "Smile Pinki"
· "The Conscience of Nhem En"
· "The Final Inch"
· "The Witness - From the Balcony of Room 306"

Best Foreign Language Film
WINNER: "Departures" - Japan
· "The Baader Meinhof Complex" - Germany
· "The Class" - France
· "Revanche" - Austria
· "Waltz with Bashir" - Israel

Achievement In Visual Effects
WINNER: "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button"
· "The Dark Knight"
· "Iron Man"

Achievement In Makeup
WINNER: "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button," Greg Cannom
· "The Dark Knight," John Caglione, Jr. and Conor O'Sullivan
· "Hellboy II: The Golden Army," Mike Elizalde and Thom Floutz

Achievement In Sound Editing
WINNER: "The Dark Knight"
· "Iron Man"
· "Slumdog Millionaire"
· "WALL-E"
· "Wanted"

Achievement In Sound Mixing
· "The Dark Knight"
· "WALL-E"
· "Wanted"

So the list of winners!
I am so so so so so so so so so so happy Sean Penn won. "Milk" is my favourite movie, and he was brilliant, and he deserved to win. I am disappointed "Milk" didn't win Best Picture, but I think "Slumdog" was brilliant, too, so it's not that bad.

I was so happy when Kate Winslet won! She is brilliant and finally got her long-awaited Oscar, and I loved her in "The Reader."

And, of course, I sobbed when Heath Ledger won.

I gagged when Robert Pattinson came on stage. I mean, really? He's an awful actor, it was an awful movie...he did not deserve to be on that stage for anything.

(<.<) watch it thats my man your talking about:p lol

ehh Penn's a great actor
but leave the politics at home

yay Kate!

Slumdog was not that great.

"And, of course, I sobbed when Heath Ledger won."

MAN, I CRIED MY EYES OUT!!!! I'm still soooo horribly sad cuz he's gone :(

Kate Winslet is my hero, she's amazing. :)

Yeah if I could be re-born it would be a Kate Winslet/Helena Bonham Carter/Idina Menzel/Audrey Hepburn hybrid. :D

Personally, DayHawk, I don't agree with the "leave politics at home" thing. It's important for certain messages - such as ones of equality - to get out to everyone, and I think that "Milk" did help do that.

So.

Plus, if you watch clips of the actual Harvey Milk, Penn was so much like him, it's scary! (And,apparently, Frank Langella was NOTHING like Nixon, so...) :rolleyes:

You know you've got problems when you haven't seen a single film on the list...
Yep that's me...:p

Yeah if I could be re-born it would be a Kate Winslet/Helena Bonham Carter/Idina Menzel/Audrey Hepburn hybrid. :D

Personally, DayhawK, I don't agree with the "leave politics at home" thing. It's important for certain messages - such as ones of equality - to get out to everyone, and I think that "Milk" did help do that.

So.

Plus, if you watch clips of the actual Harvey Milk, Penn was so much like him, it's scary! (And,apparently, Frank Langella was NOTHING like Nixon, so...) :rolleyes:

well Qsue if a rebublican or conservative went political everyone would have a cow, so lets just say i like it when its EQUAL in political jargin. The Oscars is NOT a place with equal representation therefore political speeches is a waste of time and a one sided thing. I mean lets be honest, if someone said something against allowing gay marriage Hollywood and the media would eat them up like they're doing to the Octuplet mother. Sooo yeah, ppl dont give a dern they want to be entertained not feel guilty because Penn says "your granchildren's future," and all that nonsense. I personaly voted against same sex marriage (not because I hate gays or am prejudice) because it is NOT a civil rights movement and it is NOT an actual issue that should even be in politics. To me I dont really care if Jane and Susan get married. But when they start calling it a civil right, then I have slap my head and just not care.
Seriously women and african americans died for their civil rights, and this whole gay civil rights movement is just ridiculous. Im so over it.

now dont get me wrong I ♥ Penn as an actor. However Im done with political tyrades. They think they're fighting against close minded people, when really both sides (yeah Liberals ARE usually close minded:eek: shocking) are close minded. To be truly open minded you'd have to be a hypocrit. you'd have to be for and against gay marriage to be truly open minded on the issue. And thats just silly. sooooo yeah unless we see some actor professing conservative views on the Oscars and then a debate (to which would be stupid b/c ppl want to be entertained by actors and actresses and cool dance numbers) leave the politics at home. ;)

As Os Guinness wrote, "The purpose of opening the mind, as of opening the mouth, is to close it again around something solid." The "mainstream" (which is to say, ultra-hyper-leftwing) movie industry has nothing solid anymore, and is practically incapable of anything resembling honesty anymore. They pretend to be heroic underdogs fighting "censorship," when they KNOW in reality that they are NOT AT ALL being stopped from spewing their nonsense.

I want to proudly announced that I haven't seen ANY of the movies in that list above. And I don't plan to... unless... they come out on free TV sometime and I have nothing better to watch.

Well, DH, people have died for this particular movement. Harvey Milk, Matthew Shepard, George Moscone (assassinated by the same person right before Milk), and many others. It's a civil rights movement, because it is your right to marry whom you wish, and I think it's brilliant that people who are so influential to people these days like actors can stand up at the most important award ceremony of the year (for their particular profession) and be able to express their beliefs about it if they believe it is important, which Penn obviously does.

So, freedom of speech - I don't really care what you say in your speech, as long as it's not offensive or derogatory.

I'm also going to add for the general knowledge that The Dark Knight really didn't deserve to be on the Best Picture list, which is why it wasn't. Heath was brill - Morgan Freeman, Michael Caine, and Gary Oldman were pretty good. Aaron Eckhart was okay. But the rest of the movie wasn't great. It was good ... but not great. So therefore, it deserved not to be on that list.

Last edited:
Well, DH, people have died for this particular movement. Harvey Milk, Matthew Shepard, George Moscone (assassinated by the same person right before Milk), and many others. It's a civil rights movement, because it is your right to marry whom you wish, and I think it's brilliant that people who are so influential to people these days like actors can stand up at the most important award ceremony of the year (for their particular profession) and be able to express their beliefs about it if they believe it is important, which Penn obviously does.

So, freedom of speech - I don't really care what you say in your speech, as long as it's not offensive or derogatory.

I'm also going to add for the general knowledge that The Dark Knight really didn't deserve to be on the Best Picture list, which is why it wasn't. Heath was brill - Morgan Freeman, Michael Caine, and Gary Oldman were pretty good. Aaron Eckhart was okay. But the rest of the movie wasn't great. It was good ... but not great. So therefore, it deserved not to be on that list.

but...what Penn said was offensive. He clearly meant to put conservatives down. Soooo...yeah.
I wouldnt be so annoyed if there were a few actors who weren't liberals and didn't represent one side to the issue.
But it seems like the goal of the Oscars and all these award shows is to give celebrities the power to make us feel guilty for not thinking as "enlightened" as they are. Its absurd and its brainwashing. Im sorry but actors are paid to act not to be our "idols" and that's what they are in American culture. Yes a person does have the freedom of speech, but do it when it's appropriate. The Oscars was created to celebrate films and to celebrate artisitc acheivement, not to bring politics into the mix.

Sure politics, religion and everything else do affect the art but actors and filmakers shouldn't bring in it up in their speeches. Its not that it should be a rule, but rather a common decensy. I mean if lets say Rush Limball won best actor (this is a VERY big hypothetical case) and said what Penn did only the opposite opinion everyone would flip their lid and go nuts.

As conservatives in this country are getting to have less of a spine, and the liberal mentality is becoming over bearing, I dont want to be reminded of it when I watch the oscars. I just want the actors to do what their paid to do, entertain. Thats it.

but...what Penn said was offensive. He clearly meant to put conservatives down. Soooo...yeah.

I just want the actors to do what their paid to do, entertain. Thats it.

Personally, I don't think that he meant to shoot anyone down. He didn't say, "You are wrong if you don't think this way." He shared his opinion. That's ALL. Freedom of speech.

How many actors/musicians/influential people in the entertainment industry have dedicated their time and money and put their lives at risk to help try to better our world? Countless! You see actors like Matt Damon, George Clooney, Don Cheadle, Angelina Jolie, and Brad Pitt helping out in countries that really need it, and if they didn't do that, who would? Not many people can afford to give ten million dollars or something to a country in need and still thrive.

Say Sophie Okonedo, a terrific British actress, had won an Oscar for her role in Hotel Rwanda (she was nominated for Best Actress). In her acceptance speech, she talks about how important recognising and remembering the Rwandan genoicde was becuase it was the Holocaust again - not to the same horrific extent, but still a horrifying, terrible act of moral corruption.

Would you be against that?

It's the same thing. Two different issues, yes, but the same thing.

Personally, I don't think that he meant to shoot anyone down. He didn't say, "You are wrong if you don't think this way." He shared his opinion. That's ALL. Freedom of speech.

How many actors/musicians/influential people in the entertainment industry have dedicated their time and money and put their lives at risk to help try to better our world? Countless! You see actors like Matt Damon, George Clooney, Don Cheadle, Angelina Jolie, and Brad Pitt helping out in countries that really need it, and if they didn't do that, who would? Not many people can afford to give ten million dollars or something to a country in need and still thrive.

Say Sophie Okonedo, a terrific British actress, had won an Oscar for her role in Hotel Rwanda (she was nominated for Best Actress). In her acceptance speech, she talks about how important recognising and remembering the Rwandan genoicde was becuase it was the Holocaust again - not to the same horrific extent, but still a horrifying, terrible act of moral corruption.

Would you be against that?

It's the same thing. Two different issues, yes, but the same thing.

because a holocaust is not a controversal political subject in the sense that it would not have two sides that are still at odds with eachother. Gay marriage, abortion, the war in Iraq, the current economic situation, they all have two (some more) sides to them.

If Kate Winslet (lets just say) were to speak against abortion (lets say she was in Juno lol) I would have a problem with that even though I'm pro-life. thing the Oscars isn't a political forum. Like I said before its there to celebrate the arts, not for us to have to hear political opinions. Freedom of speech? Yeah sure. Appropriate timing? not so much.

and yes Penn did. I voted against gay marriage. And he says that my grandchildren are gonna suffer for it. Thats not only a low blow, its down right uncalled for. As a citizen of America I shouldn't have to feel bad for my descion. I like Penn as an actor, but seriously I dont condemn him for being pro-gay marriage. I dont go around boycotting his movies or anything. I found what he said to be offensive.

Well he is right. People are not just going to suffer, they are suffering now.

And, firstly, I was talking about the Rwandan genocide (though I did mention that it was like the Holocaust), but, secondly, there are many sides to it. People still think that the Hutus were in the right.

It's very true that it should not be turned into a political forum, but Penn was completely within his right to mention it because it is what his film was about. If he had begun talking about, say, the war in Iraq, that would have been completely different.

Penn also spoke on how people in California made the "wrong choice" and that they'd see their "error" in later years. :rolleyes: I'm sorry, but putting down the largest populated state in America for making a decision is as downright wrong as it is stupid. At least the vote proves there's some moral thinking left in this God-forsaken country.

While the Dark Knight was the best movie I saw last year, I can see why it didnt get the nom.

Heath was excellent....no LEGENDARY!!!! and Michal Cain/Gary Oldman/Morgan Freeman did really good too. I really think Aaron's performance is undderated, since I thought he was perfect.

The worst actor actually is Christian. He's great as Bruce, but he WAAAAYYYYY overdid the Batman voice to the point where I wanted the joker to give his mouth the "wanna know how I got these scars?" treatment. I think the voice was fine in Batman Begins, but he took it way too far in the Dark Knight. And I didnt like the fact that they replaced Katie holmes as Rachel. Maggie Gyhllenhal wasnt a bad actor but she is a replacement and I almost always like the original portrayer better.

The writing and dialouge were good.....but I think the general story was a bit too simple for a 152 minute movie(though it never really dragged).

Its my fav movie of 2008, but I know it just didnt have that "Best Picture Oscar" feel to it.

Am I making any sense or am I just confusing you all?

Back