Bibliophile Guild

I admire thy passion Singing Dryiad. As for the inquiry about the Kindle, I think it tis a double edge sword. On one hand it tis the future of reading, it allows thee to carry millions of titles on one tablet, it also makes it possible to take out of print works and convert them to digital so they are preserved forever. However, on negative side, we coudl be looking at he decline of the printed word, at eventual closing of book stores and digtializing of libraries (think Star Wars Jedi Temple Hololibrary). Already bookstores are suffering that dost not keep ahead of the curve, take Borders for instance, it is closing thousands upon thousands of stores around the US.

I frankly am at loss of what to do in regard to these eReaders. I own the Nook, and my ma owns the Kindle and they are quite convienant. However, I dost love the feel of authentic book in my hand, the smell of paper, the pages, and binding. Prehaps the two can be reconciled. We can have the best of both worlds?

I frankly am at loss of what to do in regard to these eReaders. I own the Nook, and my ma owns the Kindle and they are quite convienant. However, I dost love the feel of authentic book in my hand, the smell of paper, the pages, and binding. Prehaps the two can be reconciled. We can have the best of both worlds?
It interests me what would happen if suddenly all the computers (along with cell phones, Kindles and the like) crash. Without warning. Although I try to be neutral in these topics (everything is both good and bad), but sometimes when it comes to modern technology...
END POST. No more hijacking from me, Sir Godfrey. Back to the topic...what are some authors people here like? I've already gushed over Cornelia Funke enough, don't you think?

Last edited:
I wouldst say were are on topic, we art Bibliophils and it was relevent discussion about the fate of our precious libraries, sanctums, and books. :)

It interests me what would happen if suddenly all the computers (along with cell phones, Kindles and the like) crash. Without warning. Although I try to be neutral in these topics (everything is both good and bad), but sometimes when it comes to modern technology...

There was a book series about that, I read part of it once. The first one was called Last Light they are by Terri Blackstock.

It twould be concern if every manuscript, every classic, all articles of literature were stored on device, in hololibrary and if say the internet or serves should crash, all our beloved histories, tales, poems, and etc would be lost.

About the Kindle/Nooks, don't you have to buy books in order to read them through the device? IMHO, that would get crazy expensive if you're having to buy books that you already have. Plus, technology is the least reliable device, and if it crashes, all of that's gone.

I'm currently, though, stalking prices on Beverly Lewis' "The Judgment", even though it's a new release, I can't bring myself to paying $15 for a book that I can read in about one sitting (Beverly lewis is one of my favorite authors)

Reading books has made me who I am today.
My mom started me on the Encyclopedia Brown series when I was about five or six. (I was able to read when I was four, unlike some public schoolers, who don't read until they're eight, and can't find the U.S. on a map when they're eighteen. :rolleyes: Oops, sorry for the stereotyping there.;)) From thence I moved on to the Hardy Boys. I also enjoyed a series I have not been able to find since, the Bloodhounds books. I loved the Three Cousins Detective Club stories and related books as a middle schooler, and finally have been greatly influenced by the American Adventure books, which I still read, even though they are marketed for 8-12-year-olds, and I'm eighteen.
Reading has given me my great love (and some severe disdain) for the English language. I have a sincere desire to spell everything correctly and use perfect grammar, which I account partially to my perfectionist Adrian Monk-like nature and also to my view that language is a gift from God. I also make it a point to have a more-than-adequate vocabulary. (This is not to brag; I feel anyone who reads enough [and does not have dyslexia or another learning disorder] has a great head start on learning grammar, vocabulary, and spelling.) The disdain comes from the problems associated with the language not being phonetic. :rolleyes:
Reading is from whence I get much of my love for history and geography. Along the lines of books being phased out for new technology (which is tragic and positive at the same time), I find that the good ol' road atlases that I love are becoming less and less popular. History is a deep passion of mine, as I wish that all may learn the lessons that I have learned from history, so that may not make them themselves.
The reason that I love to write is because I love to read. I desire to glorify God by what I write, and by writing I have consistently tried to succeed where what I read fell short.
Books have always been my friends. As a child, and even into my teenage years, I was always an introvert. I didn't have many friends, and those I did have were not close to me. I can't even really describe the profound influence books had on me when I made their characters my friends. My best friends I found as characters in books. That is why I always strive for deep, realistic character development in my stories.
Well, this is what reading means to me. I know the post is long, but it symbolizes the magnitude of the part books have played in my life.

Mike

It twould be concern if every manuscript, every classic, all articles of literature were stored on device, in hololibrary and if say the internet or serves should crash, all our beloved histories, tales, poems, and etc would be lost.

I think that would be unlikely. It cost thousands to scan vintage books, and ancient texts and libraries are always suffering from budget cuts. I think we should fear more the age and spread of misinformation and the the epidemic of loss of free thought. there are so many that take everything for the truth and will not research and have free thinking about ideas. The slow decline in the use of libraries will make them seem outdated and I fear the will either get the axe or are closed due to the fact that a free thinker/informed person is dangerous.
It reminds me of an old phrase I was told by a librarian:

A person is only as dangerous as the books they read, and a book is only as dangerous as the people that read them.

I believe the adage: "You are what you read." :)
To play devil advocate here, I think the quote is baloney. Books are nothing but bound paper with symbols pressed upon it. It can do nothing to an individual. However an Individual has full control on how he lets the information presented in books effect him, based on his previous experiences in life and how he precieves the information . This explains the saying on my last post.

Reminds me of one of my favorite book series, The Edgewick Lamplighter Series. They are about hobbits... basically... :D in a world where books... well that would give it away... :rolleyes:

To play devil advocate here, I think the quote is baloney. Books are nothing but bound paper with symbols pressed upon it. It can do nothing to an individual. However an Individual has full control on how he lets the information presented in books effect him, based on his previous experiences in life and how he precieves the information . This explains the saying on my last post.

I argue the differ, what dost pass through the eyes touches and can ensnare the soul. Literature like music can infect and effect an invidiual. How else dost ye explain cults that read pamphlets and read creeds and continue to fall prey to the devil's ruse? What ye read will have an affect upon thee for good or ill. Aye, you can train thy mind to filter, to fight lies, to assimulate the good and delete the bad, but even then something shall escape thy sentries, for not all evil tis ugly, some is quite alluring and it can even appear to be of the Most High. Deception is not sought, but it castes it lot and oft ensares thoughts.

I argue the differ, what dost pass through the eyes touches and can ensnare the soul. Literature like music can infect and effect an invidiual. How else dost ye explain cults that read pamphlets and read creeds and continue to fall prey to the devil's ruse? What ye read will have an affect upon thee for good or ill. Aye, you can train thy mind to filter, to fight lies, to assimulate the good and delete the bad, but even then something shall escape thy sentries, for not all evil tis ugly, some is quite alluring and it can even appear to be of the Most High. Deception is not sought, but it castes it lot and oft ensares thoughts.
Touche!
Well said, I see my error now.
Would I be right in thinking then, that while the information presented can influence, it's up to the individual to take it at face value, or tear it to ribbons in search of truth. I agree that things like the Satanic Bible are inheritably evil, but it's up to the individual to prove it false or let it influence them. Isn't that free choice?

Agreed! Bravo. :) Very well said, Jeff!
As I said in one of our talks...this is whe we use the armor that we have been given...arrows come...but we must know how to use our shield and sword and breastplate, etc to make the arrows glance off. :)

With my imagination books might as well be alive. And at any rate- what about when books are based off of real experinces and the characters off of real people? Wouldn't that make them (in a way) alive and real? Books are not just "bound paper with symbols pressed upon it" they contain the feeling and life that the author places in them through characters, places and themes. They can touch you for good or bad (as has been said) and can influence you to do something or not to.
And to take it to the ultimate level in this argument: what about the Bible? The Word of God can you really say that it is just merely words on a page? Now granted books don't usually have divine breath in them but even in some of my own stories I can feel God working through me in some places as I write them. Books aren't just paper with words on them, and that's just all there is to it. At least in my mind that's how it is, but I think you're disalusioning(sp?) yourself if you think that books are just papers with words pressed upon them.

Back