Death Dealer series

Hehehe. Knew that Sawyer was probably going to go along, which is a nice touch. ;) Didn't know that she was going to be Kay's daughter, lol better touch.

Chapter Six (conclusion)

The three friends needed to talk about their situation involving Sawyer, but they knew if they turned their backs on her for a moment she’d attempt running off. So they waited. After they set up camp and finished their evening meal, the sat and waited. They all knew Sawyer couldn’t stay up forever, though she tried.

Finally the ten year old dropped off to sleep and everyone relaxed a little. The three moved in closer together to speak in hushed tones.

“You can’t possibly mean to take her along,” Jack said.

“Well, we surely can’t leave her,” Ridley said. “She acts tough, but she would never survive.”

“Maybe we can leave her in Arganis then,” Jack looked at Grace, waiting for her reply.

“I think we should take her to Kay. I may Kay has family on the Nareroc Islands, she can take Sawyer there and leave her.”

“Think about what you are proposing, Grace. And think about it reasonably. Kay gave up the child for a reason. I doubt she would be pleased with us if we returned Sawyer.” Jack brought up a good point, but Grace was unmoved.

“She asked us to check in, so obviously she has some margin of worry for Sawyer. Even if Kay rejects the idea, someone in Glenbard would be happy to take her in.”

“Grace is right,” Ridley added, “In Glenbard we take care of our own and Sawyer is one of us, though no one knows it yet.”

Jack snorted and stood from the two women. “Fine, but that child will be nothing but trouble for the next few weeks. And I am not going to be responsible for her.”

Ridley rolled her eyes and Grace sighed. This was shaping up to be a very long trip indeed.

Grace took the last watchmen’s sleep and so she was able to sleep for several hours uninterrupted. Though her mind acted as though it was awake. Grace’s dreams were filled with strange images and almost a sense of fear.

She saw a man led to the gallows. He had a black bag over his head as they strung him up. The hangman readied the noose and slipped it over the man’s neck. The crowd that had gathered seemed to be cheering for the poor man’s death.

Suddenly a rider appeared through the crowd. He rode a strong horse and was dressed in black armor. He seemed gallant, at least in the dream world. With a swift slash of his sword the man fell free of the hangman’s noose. The rider then pointed his sword toward what appeared to be a king’s throne.

A black wolf, no, not any black wolf, but the one that had helped Grace before appeared beside the rider. It howled angrily and growled at the hangman. Then it looked to the rider. It is coming, it said.

Grace woke with a start and realized Ridley was shaking her awake. Her turn to keep watch had come. She sat beside what was left of the fire, mostly a few embers at this point. She took a stick and poked around, giving a little more life to it.

The dream hung heavy over her. Never had a dream invaded her mind so vividly. Grace longed to understand what her mind had conjured. There was no telling how any of it had any relevance, not yet anyway. There was an old man by her home in Arganis who was a famed dream reader. If he still lived, Grace would consult him on the matter.

Something near the fire shuffled. Grace snapped back to attention and scanned the area closely, at first it looked as though nothing was amiss. She soon saw that Sawyer’s bedroll was empty. Getting up, she grabbed her dagger and headed into the darkness that surrounded them.

In her first months as the Death Dealer Grace had taught herself how to adjust her eyes quickly to the dark. And the master hunter in Arganis had taught her all she ever needed to know about tracking. Sawyer was not so cunning to cover her tracks. She probably felt she didn’t need too in the dark.

Grace decided Sawyer had gone west. She set off at a run, thinking the girl had headed toward the river. Grace decided the fasted way to overtake her was to take to the trees.

Sawyer ran for a mile or so, before stopping. Even if Grace realized she was gone, they’d never catch her. Grace looked weak; she probably roused Jack to come out a look. Sawyer smiled to herself, admiring a job well done.

Her smile quickly turned into a frown, then a scream. Someone jumped from the trees over head. Whoever it was grabbed Sawyer by the arm and started to drag her back.

“Help! Fiend! Someone help!” She screamed and struggled, hard against the attacker.

“If you did not feel inclined to run from us, I would not have to drag you back like some common kidnapper.”

Sawyer recognized Grace’s voice and calmed a little. Though she remained a little perplexed. The woman had overtaken her in the dark, in a forest, with no lead on where she was going.

“I don’t want to come with you!”

“That is too bad, dear. We are not going to leave you in the wilderness alone, no matter how tough you think you are.”

Upon arriving back at the campsite, Sawyer saw that Ridley and Jack had woken to the ruckus of her screaming and her protests. Grace let her go and pointed to Sawyer’s bedroll. Begrudgingly she lay down and wrapped herself in the blankets. She heard the three adults speaking in whispers. After a few minutes Ridley and Jack returned to their bedrolls.

Sawyer watched Grace and found a bit of respect brewing in spite of it all. The girl had never respected any adult. They were all slow and stupid. But Grace had taken to the trees and caught up to her. She was impressed. Grace looked too soft for any sort of work like that. It seemed there was more to her than met the eye.

“How’d ya do it?” Sawyer finally asked.

Grace had been looking to the skies and at hearing Sawyer’s voice she turned her attention to her. “Pardon?”

“How’d ya catch me?”

“I have taken part in a few night hunts in the past.”

“Night hunts? Who hunts at night?”

“Those who wish to hunt animals that come out at night.” The simplicity of Grace’s answer stunned Sawyer. She had expected more.

“Well, what about the trees? Why’d ya take the trees?”

“It was faster for me. Now, enough of your questions get to sleep. We have a long way to travel.”

Sawyer rolled over and after her mind calmed down she fell to sleep.

After breakfast Sawyer hurried to the horses. She stood by Grace’s mare Olwen. When the adults had packed everything up they came back to the horses. Sawyer had saddled Olwen and was waiting patiently.

“It seems you have some extra baggage today,” Jack joked, as he got to work saddling Pilgrim.

Once Ridley and Jack had saddled up and all their packs were ready they mounted. Grace was the last to do so. She looked at Sawyer and raised an eyebrow.

“Your horse seems like it will bounce less than Pilgrim.” It was a weak excuse and Grace saw through it.

Pilgrim was a gentle beast and when one rode on him they hardly felt as though they were on a horse. He walked so smoothly it felt as though they were seated in a chair. Grace ignored Sawyer lie and lifted her up, placing her in the front part of Olwen’s saddle. This was shaping up to be a very interesting indeed.

(So I'm transferring the prologue of the Peony story to my computer now, and it should be up in a few hours. I hope those of you who enjoy this will give that one a chance as well.)

Last edited:
oxford girl said:
I love your story, are you going to try to get it published

I may some day. I haven't decided. I have hopes of getting the prequel published. Possibly this one and I have ideas for a direct sequel to this story. But it's all up in the air now. I just like to write these for the sake of writing.

Chapter Seven: Home

Sawyer clung to Grace for the next few days. The young girl attempted to keep up a tough front, but she was fast running out of lies to tell in order to keep riding with Grace. Sawyer figured no one saw through her lies, but the other three had. No one said anything because no one really cared all that much.

The girl was always trying to get information from Grace on her hunting abilities. But Grace remained tightlipped. She was used to most everyone knowing her business at all times. It was a nice change to have a bit of secrecy surrounding her. Sawyer was relentless in her pursuit, though.

The night they crossed over into the province of Arganis, Sawyer decided upon a new approach. She’d see what knowledge Ridley could provide.

Jack and Grace had gone out to see what game was around for hunting. Ridley always wanted to join them, but she knew they went together to gain some time alone. So she never asked to take Grace’s place. She was busy trying to start the fire when Sawyer came up.

“Something wrong?” Ridley asked, trying again with the tinderbox.

Sawyer sat on a log Jack had moved around where the fire would be. “I was just wondering about Grace.”

Ridley was not at all surprised. Grace spoke often of the girl’s incessant questions on her life. “And what about her?”

“How is it that she is such a good hunter? Where did she learn those skills? We’re not deaf to the outside world in the orphanage and we know hunting is not a common skill among those who live in Glenbard. Fishing is what most people teach their children.”

“Grace is not a native to Glenbard,” Ridley said, finally catching a spark on the woodpile. “She’s from Arganis, born and raised.”

“Arganis? But that is a wealthy province. Sparsely populated, barely anyone lives in poverty there. Why would anyone give up life in Arganis for Glenbard?”

“Sometimes fate deals people an unfair hand.”

“What does that mean?”

But Ridley had said all she would. Sawyer growled and crossed her arms angrily across her chest. Why was everyone always so quiet about Grace, anyway?

(For the next few weeks, the updates will be rather short.)

Just as long as there are updates, I don't mind so much. ;) Wow, Sawyer is really nosey. I like what you're doing with this; it's adding a new dimension to the story almost.

Chapter Seven (cont.)

~*~*~

The castle of Arganis loomed before the travelers. It was the same as it had been for generations, but somehow it was different. Grace was now looking on it with different eyes. Eyes no longer tainted by her status, but eyes that understood the truth behind human suffering. The young had changed so much, but the castle remained the same.

Grace had thrown a shawl over her head as they neared the castle. To avoid being recognized she donned on the disguise of a healer gypsy. She coated her cheeks with dirt and tore her clothing. She even smeared a bit of mud onto Olwen to give the mare the look of a run down nag. Jack and Ridley did the same to their horses.

The plan was that Grace would pose as a healer woman and she had heard rumors of Dedre’s sickness from the town. Jack would pretend to her husband, with Sawyer as their daughter and Ridley was a cousin. It took Grace some work, but she was successful in getting Sawyer to play along. In exchange Grace would teach her some of her tricks.

Grace led Olwen by the reigns up toward the front gate. Her friends hung back as she moved tentatively up the path. A guard looked down at her as she stopped.

“Is there something I can help you with miss?”

“I ‘ave ‘eard that the lady ‘ere was ill. I ‘ave come to offer my services.” Grace bowed to the guard, hoping her didn’t see right through her.

“Who told you that?” He demanded.

“Word from the towns, good sir. The folks ‘round ‘ere are worried. I am a gifted ‘ealer.”

“Wait here.”

And that is what Grace did. She stood waiting at the gate as the guard went through the chain of command. She knew how it worked. He’d go to the captain of the guard first, then he’d go to Calvin’s father, her Uncle Leon, and then Leon would go to her stepfather, George. Normally it would take hours, but since it concerned Dedre the chain of command moved faster.

The guard reappeared and bid her to pass through the gate. Your companions will be taken to a small hut on the edge of the grounds. You may stay there as long as you are helping our countess.”

Grace was passed off to another guard who had her horse taken to the stables. He led her toward the castle and through its halls. As they walked he explained the grounds to Grace, where the stables were, where the kitchen was, everything she knew from years of living there. But she just nodded and remained content knowing no one had seen through her.

They stopped before George’s study. Her uncle and stepfather came out, looking as he always had. His grey hair, balding on top, his robes pressed and cleaned. His eyes dull from years of doing nothing else but studying this and that. Grace had never understood George.

She knew he felt as though it were his duty to watch over her and her mother, but marriage did not seem like him. He was a private man who never did anyone harm and according to Calvin he would not have minded if Grace had returned after her banishment. It was too late for that now, though.

“Can you help my wife?” George asked. Grace saw a hint of sadness in his eyes. She had never seen that in him before.

“I can try, sir, but there is no promise I can give ya. But I can ease her passing if that’s what it comes ta.”

“Her chambers are this way,” George took Grace by the shoulder and walked her down the last bit of hall to her mother’s chambers. “I will leave you, come to my chambers when you are done.”

Grace smiled and pushed open the door. Her mother was eated by her large picture window, staring blankly into space. Dedre had never looked so pale or sickly, not even after Daniel had died.

She turned and looked at Grace. “I am waiting for my daughter.” She said simply. Her smile and voice were haunting. As though she was unaware of what had happened over the past few years.

Grace ran to her side and dropped to her knees. “Mother, say you remember me! It is me, it is your Grace.”

Dedre removed Grace’s shawl and smoothed out her auburn hair. Her hands shook as she did so. She licked one of her fingers and rubbed some of the dirt from Grace’s face.

“Do you not remember me?” Grace’s voice shook as she fought back tears.

“You left me,” A tear slid down Dedre’s cheek. “You left me, Grace, why?”

Grace began weeping openly. She was saddened by her mother’s state, but overjoyed she knew her. Dedre slipped from her seat and went to her knees beside Grace. She took her daughter’s head and cradled it, stroking Grace’s hair as she did so. Grace was home again.

Aww....:( that was really sweet. I'm terribly sorry for missing so much...i'm actually not sure how i did it.(?) I really like how this is coming along--and i think Sawer is kinda cute. Love her charecter.
And like Amy said..as long as your updating, i'm good.

Chapter Eight: The Truth About Dedre

Chapter Eight: The Truth About Dedre

Grace had been gone for a few hours. Ridley was in the stables seeing that their horses were well taken care of. Jack had lay down for a bit of sleep. So young Sawyer was left to her own devices for a while.

The province of Arganis was rather secluded from the rest of the kingdom. Not in location, but in attitude. Since Count Daniel’s death the entire region of Arganis seemed to close off from everyone. Count George was a very closed up man and it seemed his subjects had become the same.

Living in Actis, Sawyer had come in contact with a few merchants and traveling bards from Arganis. They spoke of the place as a mysterious beauty, one that could never truly be kept. Those from outside the province were unaware of what was before them. To outsiders Arganis was just a province that harvested lumber and was home to the most shut up people in the kingdom.

Sawyer did feel a bit of something in the air in Arganis though. The traders who had been born and raised spoke of Arganis with a dreamy feel to their words. Pride hang in the air around the castle. Sawyer wondered what these people had that made them find this province so special.

The girl wandered into the kitchen of the castle and found the cook and his wife hard at work making dinner. The cook’s wife smiled down at Sawyer as she entered.

“You must be that gypsy healer’s child,” The woman waddled over with a cookie for Sawyer. “Have a treat dear, the journey must have been long for you.”

“Thank you, ma’am.” Sawyer took a stool in the corner, by the fire place and sat. “If you don’t mind me asking, what’s wrong with this Countess Dedre?”

“Did your mother not tell you, child?” The cook asked as he cut into an apple.

Sawyer shook her head.

“Poor old girl,” The wife shook her head. “Lost her husband and her only child. She was never right after Daniel died. Scarred her deep in the heart, poor thing. And then little Grace is banished from court.”

Sawyer’s ears perked up. “What do you mean, banished?” Grace had given no reason as to why they were in Arganis. And Sawyer knew she was no gypsy. Now she wondered if the Grace this woman spoke of was the same Grace that Sawyer traveled with.

“Grace always was a bit odd after her father died. Had a little too much adventure in herself. Went to the court in Ursana about three years back and took her cousin Calvin’s place in the joust. When King Frederick learned she was a woman there was nothing for it. He nearly took her head, but settled on banishing her instead. Dedre never really recovered from that news. We all miss Grace, but our countess, well...” Her voice trailed off and she seemed completely lost in thought.

News had spread about the woman who jousted at the tournament. Sawyer had only been seven, but she remembered being filled with pride that a woman had done something so bold. She almost failed to believe this was the same Grace. How could Grace ever joust?

“Run along dear,” The woman said. Sawyer caught a hint of tears as she was shooed from the kitchen.

Grace did as was requested and went to see George after sitting with her mother for a few hours. Neither woman said much, they just sat enjoying being together again. But Dedre needed her rest and Grace felt compelled to give it to her.

George was in his study looking through various old scrolls. Grace felt just like she had every time she had gone to see George in her youth. Sitting there, pouring over old scrolls and books, trying to escape reality. The count looked up and forced a week smile for her.

“How is she?”

“Tired, but she seemed better. She knew what day it was at least.”

George sighed, “That is good. Some days she believes Daniel is alive. Some days she screams from Grace to stop hiding and come speak with her. Other days she is perfectly normal.”

Grace lowered her head. What had her foolish actions done to her mother’s mind? “Count George, if I may, I’d like ta stay ‘ere for a bit. Keep a close watch on the countess.”

“Please, stay as long as needed. I realize hoping may be futile, but I want her to be comfortable and happy. Can you do that for her?”

“I’ll give ya wife better care then anyone. I promise.”

George smiled and moved to touch Grace. For a moment she thought he would hug her, but he stopped himself. Grace felt a twinge of sadness as he pulled back from giving her a hug.

“If ya don’t mind, sir, I need mah own rest now.”

He nodded and returned to his scrolls. Grace left for the cottage everyone was at waiting for her.

Grace found Jack alone in the cottage. He woke as she opened the door. He rolled onto his back and beckoned Grace to lie with him for a while. She lied down next to him and put her head on his chest.

“How is she?” He asked.

“She knew who I was, at least.”

“That’s good.”

“Yes, but George says she goes through phases. Some days she thinks my father is still alive. I am worried about her. He has been dead so long, how can she possibly think he is still with us?”

“There’s no explaining it, Gracie.”

“What if she cannot remember me tomorrow? What if I am just another strange face to her?”

“Face tomorrow when it comes. Rest easy now knowing she remembered you upon first sight.” Jack moved a strand of Grace’s hair from his face.

Grace sighed and stopped speaking altogether. She was unaware, but she drifted off to sleep as she lay with Jack. It wasn’t until Ridley and Sawyer burst into the cottage that Grace had any indication she was asleep.

“Grace,” Ridley said, “Take this brat out please! She is driving me insane. Make good with your promise to teach her so that I can have some peace.”

Grace sat up and laughed to herself. How strange it was to see Ridley so irritated. Despite the amusement it gave her, Grace decided now would be a could time to keep her promise to Sawyer. She grabbed her hunting gear and bade Sawyer to follow her.

Wow Narnia freak...thats...5 hours. eek.
I'm not sure what your doing Nikia, but this story is getting better and better. we all await for your next post.

mAndy

Chapter Eight (cont.)

Ooo I am so flattered and happy to read the lovely comments everyone has been leaving me. One of the best Christmas if I dare say. And I am pleased so many people like Sawyer's character, she was a last minute addition, but I've been quite taken with her myself. Thank you so much for all your kind comments.

Grace asked a guard if she could be permitted to take her “daughter” out for hunting. He seemed put off by her at first, but allowed her and Sawyer to use the hunting grounds. Grace was grateful and pressed two silver coins and one gold coin into his hand. He smiled and waved her and Sawyer past his station.

Sawyer was equipped with Grace’s bow and quiver, while she took Jack’s. It seemed ages since she had been on the hunting grounds of Arganis. Grace found the spot her Uncle Leon had taught her how to hunt. It was a small clearing in the wood. Grace hoisted Sawyer into one of the trees and climbed onto the branch beside her.

“I am guessing the orphanage never taught you how to properly hold a bow.” Grace moved Sawyer’s fingers in the correct position. Sawyer was reluctant to have her fingers in the right spot, but Grace moved them. “Fitting on arrow is not always as easy as it looks.”

“You lied to me.”

Grace was taken off her guard by Sawyer’s statement. “Pardon?”

“You have lied to everyone here! You said you were here to trade, now you are here posing as a healer for the countess. And I heard the cook’s wife mention Dedre’s only child, Grace. You led me to believe you were a commoner like Jack and Ridley and me!”

“I am a commoner,” Grace said quietly, “My life in Arganis is over. I am not longer the countess to be. I am a stable worker in Glenbard and I work just as hard as anyone born a commoner.”

“You gave this all up,” Sawyer snapped. “What fools idea was running through your head when you abandoned the easy life?”

Grace took the bow from Sawyer’s hand and sighed. “No life is easy. Not for you, not for me, and not even for the nobles. Everyone is faced with tough life changing decisions. I made mine and I lost my old life. But I cannot say I regret it.”

“You jousted against the prince and beat him.” Grace raised her eyebrow at the young girl. She was unsure what direction Sawyer was trying to lead the conversation. What business was it of hers anyhow? “Why is it all such a secret?”

“Sawyer, you are too young to understand.” Grace said no more. She jumped down from the branch and walked up the path toward the castle.

Sawyer waited until Grace was a few minutes out of sight. Then she climbed down and took the path to the cottage. Ridley and Grace were both gone, but Jack was attempting to build a fire for making dinner. Sawyer sat on one of the small cots and watched him work.

“I understand you continued your questions of Grace.” he said, not even looking at her.

“Is it so wrong to be curious?”

“Many people like their privacy when their life story is widely known.”

“Well Grace shouldn’t have lied to me about all this. She should have known I’d find out sooner or later and I could have blown her secret.”

“There’s no accounting for the plans that go through her head sometimes. But luck has always been on her side. Everything works out in the end.” Jack put a log in the fireplace and reached for his tinder box to start the fire.

“You should have some idea of her thoughts.”

“And why do you say that?”

“Given your relationship together, I figured her thoughts would be your thoughts.”

“A strange and untrue assumption, Sawyer.”

Sawyer fell silent for a moment. She watched Jack intently, wondering what ideas were swirling around in his head at the moment.

“Why don’t you marry Grace?” Jack stopped fiddling with the tinder box and turned toward her. She caught an angry glint in his eye and knew right away she had overstepped her bounds with him.

Jack had seemed patient enough, but Sawyer had recognized a temper in him at times. Now she worried she had caused his temper to flare. He looked down on her and she tried to predict what he would do next.

“You are nosey, aren’t you?” He managed through clenched teeth. He was trying his best to hold off his anger. “Why don’t you run along and play or something?”

Afraid Jack would physically harm her if she failed to listen, Sawyer quickly jumped up from the cot and hurried out. Those she traveled with sure did enjoy their privacy and hated questions.

Grace made a soft hissing noise trying to get a servant’s attention. The woman was completely oblivious to her. Grace whistled softly, but still there was no response. She looked around and stamped her foot, “Cassandra!” She whispered harshly.

Her old hand maiden looked up from her needle work and caught sight of Grace lurking in the shadows outside the common room. Cassandra set down her needle work and rushed over, pulling Grace into a hug.

Grace’s letter took so long to reach Arganis from Glenbard. It seemed like ages since any word had come from her. How she had grown since Cassandra had last seen her on the roadside headed to Glenbard with Donald.

The former countess was more muscular. She had clearly been hard at work in the stables the past few years. Grace’s once soft hands had been reduced to a worker’s hands. Somewhat scarred and rough. No doubt scarred from her nights spent as the Death Dealer. But how beautiful she still looked.

“Grace, sweet Grace!” Cassandra cooed and held her tight.

Cassandra was the same as she always was. She had put on some weight since Grace had seen her. Her plumpness only seemed to add to the homely, motherly feel Cassandra provided. The two were only a few years apart, but to Grace it seemed she was now so much older, while Cassandra had stayed the same age.

It was good to see her oldest friend again. “Cassandra, I have missed you terribly.” Grace pulled out of the hug and smiled at the hand maiden.

“You have no idea how I have longed for your return. Calvin said he would get a message to you, but I did not know you would come here in the flesh.” Tears were welling in Cassandra’s eyes.

“Do not cry, Cassandra, I will only cry myself.” Grace longed for more time, but it was not to be. “I have to make this quick, everyone believes I am a gypsy healer. But come to the cottage after many have gone to sleep. Then we may speak openly and without fear.”

“Of course, of course,” Cassandra gave Grace one last hug before returning to her work.

Back