Death Dealer series

Grace had fallen asleep in George’s study. They had passed most of the night talking about everything they had never spoken of when Grace still lived in Arganis. The only thing she left out was her nighttime escapdes as the Death Dealer. Few were clued into that secret and she wanted it kept that way.

The study was empty when Grace finally woke. A tray of bread and cheese with a bit of wine had been set out for her. She ate, trying to plan what to do next. Staying in Arganis for a while was of course going to happen, but how long before she should return to Glenbard?

In these thoughts, George found her, chewing absentedly mindely on a piece of bread. “I trust it is to your liking? I had a time convincing the cook you were not my gypsy lover. His wife and he are certainly thrieving on gossip these days.” George sat at his desk and smiled at Grace.

“It is fine, delicious as is expected.”

“Good, now, then,” George laced his fingers together and put them on his desk. “I realize things must change with the passing of Dedre. There is no lady of the house to handle domiscate affairs anymore, but perhaps there could be. No one from court makes the trip to Arganis, save for the rare visit from Henry of Egona. Frederick would never know you resided her. Of course when Calvin takes a wife she would become the lady of the house, but you would be welcome here. Would you take up your mother’s place?”

Grace was not surprised by the offer. Her talk with George the night before had enlightened her to what kind of man he truly was. But in her heart she knew Arganis was not her home anymore.

She shook her head, “I am happy to be offered a chance to live here once more, but my life is in the south, in Glenbard. It is not so grand as my life here was, but that is over and done with for now.”

“I understand and thought you would say as much. I wanted you to have the option though, should you feel inclined to take it. However, I see you travel with a young girl. She is too old to be your child, unless you mothered one while still living under this roof, though you would have been thirteen at the time. And I hardly think even you could have concealed something like that. And her skin is to dark to be a child of the two you travel with...”

“She is a friend’s. A friend from Glenbard, a native of the islands.”

“Ah, as I suspected.” George smiled, his eyes twinkling, “You are taking her to Glenbard then?” Grace nodded. “Not much of a life for a child to live there. Perhaps you should leave her here, I could see to it that she receives a proper education.”

Grace had not expected such an offer from George. “Here? But, why?”

“There are barely any children around the castle grounds. Most live in the villages. It grieves the cook, his wife, half the maids, not to be able to look after a child. And Leon is pushing for Calvin to marry and produce some children. I myself would not mind having a young child around here so that I can instill all the knowledge I have acquired over the years.”

The whole idea brought a smile to Grace’s face. Leon loved children and she knew half the servants did as well. But to hear George talk of bringing up a child, and one as spirit as Sawyer was almost too funny to bear.

“I will speak to her on the subject today.”

Chapter Nine (cont.)

The day would be busy all around the castle of Arganis. The body of Dedre was being prepared for burial, George was putting his wife’s belongings together, giving them to who Dedre had wished, and Grace was going to reveal herself to her uncle Leon. Leon had been rarely seen in the open as of late. It was of no real surprise to anyone. Whenever someone close to Leon was sick or died he gave the castle blacksmith time off and locked himself away in the blacksmith’s work area. Working on swords and horseshoes always seemed to ease his mind.

Grace was not at all surprised to find her uncle hard at work. He was sharpening Calvin’s sword and he seemed deep within his own world.

“A master’s hand, hard at work,” She said as she withdrew her shawl and other disguise items.

Leon’s eyes brightened when he looked upon his niece. He lay the sword aside, opening his arms. Grace threw herself into the embrace, grateful to be with the man who trained her.

“I thought you would never return to us,” Leon choked back a few tears as he spoke.

“Calvin told me about Mother and I had to come back. Not even Frederick’s threats of execution could stop me.”

Leon withdrew and bade Grace to sit on a barrel as he did likewise. “Your mother’s passing will leave a dark cloud over us for some time. She was the countess here for near thirty years. It is hard to think she will no longer tend to the affairs around the castle.” His face grew dark and a shadow passed over him. Grace knew he was thinking of his own wife and her untimely death.

“I miss her already,” Grace said softly. “I have been gone for years and I am full of regret.”

Leon reached over and patted her hand gently. “She was proud of you, I am sure George has told you the same thing, but it was true. Dedre did not care you were banished. She only cared that you were free of the chains that held your mother here. Do not feel guilty.”

Silent tears ran down Grace’s cheeks. “I cannot help feeling some sadness and guilt for leaving her as I did.”

“Think no more of it,” Leon stroked Grace’s cheek. “Go on then, go see Cassandra, she is need of comforting. Comfort her and she will comfort you, far better than an old man like myself.”

Grace rose and hugged Leon once more. She headed for the castle to find Cassandra and even to find Calvin. They could console each other.

whoosh. i missed alot. I like how you used Dedre's death to bring Grace and George togethor...i always felt there must be a reason for thw way he acted.

In her gypsy disguise, Grace was not allowed back into the castle. As tradition dictated only the family could be present with the village shaman and the castle priest and priestess. She wanted to see Calvin, to see George and Leon, but for one full day no one was to go in. Grace deserved to be there, but she knew she would be unable to reveal herself.

Instead she took to the woodland path to clear her mind. Jack and Ridley had offered to go with her, even Sawyer was offering company. She turned them all down. Walking alone would give her some time to examine what had happened the last few weeks.

Grace kicked a stone into a tree and let out an angry scream. She proceeded to kick up dirt in her path and she pulled hard on a dangling branch, ripping it from the tree. Her frustration ran out her energy quickly and she slumped down against the tree she had just attacked. Her heart pounded and her mind was a confused mess. Her head throbbed. Grace buried her head in her knees.

Your anger has caused this tree great damage. A soft, commanding voice said. Grace looked up and before her sat the black wolf she had met years ago when she fought Mac. What harm did it do to you?

“Nothing,” Grace said softly, tears rolling down her cheeks.

All things die, even that tree you disgraced. But it does not need you speeding up its demise.

“You are the wolf under Queen Peony’s command are you not?”

I am under no one’s command. However, you guess rightly that we have a bond. We have been friends for many years.

“You concern yourself with me, who am I compared to someone so great as Peony?”

And who is Peony compared to the immortals? I concern myself with those who are in need. The wolf came closer to Grace and placed licked her forehead. Grace felt suddenly better. Do not let your heart be weighed down by your grief. The living need you more than the dead. Go back to your friends. The wolf turned and headed back up the trail.

Grace felt a strange sense of calm washing over the forest as the wolf moved on. The angel, Diggory, had again graced her with her divine presence.

Chapter Ten: Farewell to Home

At sunrise the next day the entire household of Arganis gathered by the tombs in the family graveyard. As the sun rose a procession led by the priest of Ciro, the priestess of Kamaria, and the village shaman walked from the deserted castle toward the tomb that would hold Dedre forever. Following the holy folk were four people, two men and two women, carrying the body of Dedre. As custom dictated her face was uncovered and a necklace bearing the Hilren family crest was hung around her neck. The four people represented the four winds that would help carry Dedre’s spirits into the next life. Following the body came the family, George, Leon, and Calvin.

Grace stood along the path to the tomb. Like the rest of those gathered she was dressed and veiled in black. On her right stood Henry and on her left was Jack. Behind them Cassandra, Ridley, and Sawyer were assembled. As the procession passed she felt a new wave of tears being streaming down her face. An arm wrapped around her shoulder and pulled her in. She placed her head on Jack’s shoulder and watched as her mother’s body passed.

The procession stopped before the tomb and the four carrying Dedre walked in to place her body to rest. The priest placed his left hand over his heart and the priestess and shaman did the same.

“We pray now that the winds carry Dedre’s soul safely into the arms of the siblings. That Ciro shows her the majesty of his world of light. That the great Sun gives her a ray to shine upon this household.” The priest said.

“We ask that Kamaria cradles her spirits. The majestic Moon should place Dedre’s spirit among the stars so that on cold nights she might guide her family.” The priestess continued.

Finally the shaman spoke, “To her family, her brother-in-law and her nephew, Leon and Calvin, her love for you was great and may her quiet grace always remain in your hearts. To her husband, George, remember to keep her alive in your heart and mind so that you will never truly be without her. And finally, I say this in memory of her daughter, Grace. Wherever you are, pride welled in Dedre, may you never be without her guidance, though you are not here with us I hope this prayer reaches you.”

The four winds exited the tomb and began an ancient dirge. The song was hauntingly beautiful. The sung of Ciro and Kamaria taking make their child and given her a spot in the heavens. Grace remembered the dirge from her father’s funeral. She was far older than she had been when Daniel died, but she felt abandoned and like an orphan.

At the castle a great was being held for all the members of the household. Since Grace and her “gypsy” friends were not considered part of the household they were staying out in their little cabin. George had requested Grace’s presence in his library at midnight; she was also allowed to bring one companion if she wished. She had decided to bring none.

“Are you sure you don’t want Ridley or me to go with you?” Jack asked. She had said little since the funeral and he was worried about her.

“I will be fine,” She said, touching his cheek and smiling.

“Let one of us go with you, please,” Ridley said.

“You two are worrying too much. This is nothing more than a family meeting.” Grace turned her eyes to Sawyer.

The girl looked at Grace and saw a strange light in her eyes. Whatever was rolling around in her head had something to do with Sawyer. The girl wasn’t sure she liked what it could be. “What?” She finally blurted out.

“George has asked if you would like to stay here, if you would like a proper education and upbringing. Something that we cannot give you in Glenbard.”

Sawyer was stunned and hurt. The way Grace spoke to her, she felt as though the woman was trying to get rid of her. To cast her aside and leave her somewhere like her own mother had.

“You’re trying to get rid of me?” Sawyer was fighting hard to hold back her tears. So far she was succeeding. She really liked Grace, and Ridley and Jack were not without their charms, but she respected Grace. And it was a deep respect she had never held for any adult. “You’re trying to get rid of me?” She repeated.

Grace heard the anger in Sawyer’s voice and sighed heavily. “Nothing at all like that, Sawyer, I promise. Do you want a better life? My uncles can provide you with everything you could ever need.”

“Sawyer, this would be a wonderful life for you.” Jack said, recalling his own privileged youth. He knew the girl would be better off here.

“No!” Sawyer screeched, a few frustrated tears falling. She was trying so hard to be tough, but she really was terrified they would leave her. “I want to stay with Grace!”

Grace moved across the cabin and took a seat beside Sawyer. She put an arm around the girl. “You do not have to stay here. You can come with us to Glenbard if you really wish that. But someday we will have to bring you to Kay. You cannot stay with us forever.”

Sawyer was surprised. She was certain Grace would just leave her in Arganis, with her uncles. “Would you really take me with you?”

“Of course we would,” Ridley laughed, coming over and tousling Sawyer’s hair. “We downtrodden folk take care of our own. And you’re one of us now.”

“I want to go to Glenbard,” Sawyer said, absolutely certain what she wanted.

Grace nodded and patted her head. Part of her was happy that Sawyer was coming, but in her heart she worried. One day, not too far in the future, Grace would have to bring her to Kay. And there was no telling what Kay would do with the girl. She might even sail her back to Arganis and leave her. But for the moment Grace would not dwell on such things.

George, Leon, Calvin, Cassandra, and Henry were all assembled in George’s library when Grace finally arrived. A large rectangular table had been set up and all were seated around it. She could guess what the gathering was for.

“I am glad you are here, Grace,” George said, bidding her to sit beside him. “I understand Henry and Calvin spoke to you about the problems Cesarnan is being faced with.”

“They have.”

“And you understand we may call you here to help defend Arganis should war come to pass?” Leon asked.”

“I do.”

George looked to Henry, “Do you believe war is coming?”

“It is hard to say, but in my heart of hearts I feel the king is stirring up trouble with Christian and Peony. I also think it is more than the claims that have been placed on Nareroc.” Henry answered calming. It seemed strange to see the jovial count so serious.

“I do not like the idea of war with the Sun Kingdom or Otanna,” Calvin hit his fist against the table. “Otanna is known for its strong army and navy. They are not to be engaged in battle like this. And what ill has the Sun Kingdom done to us? Frederick should have no right to do this!” Calvin was not one to become enraged or worked up. He kept a sort of calm around himself. Grace was shocked to see him raise his voice and a little worried. His words were bordering treason.

“Peace, son,” Leon touched Calvin’s shoulder and his face become less severe, but Grace still saw how rigid his body was. “We are not at war yet.”

“And hopefully we will not be,” George continued. “But we cannot be caught unprepared. That is why Grace has been asked to return to Arganis should war begin. Leon trained her to fight and protect this land as well as he did Calvin.”

“But Grace should not be made to fight like this. There are plenty to serve Arganis.” Cassandra spoke for the first time.

“War will call away many of our young men. My brother and I are old,” George responded, “We cannot possibly defend this place without some young blood. Grace can teach the women how to fight and defend better than myself or Leon.”

“We are worrying too much at the present,” Leon said, “Our plans are in place for this phantom war and there is little else we can do.”

George nodded, “Moving on then, I have spoken to Grace about bringing the child, Sawyer, here. Leon has expressed the wish for another child to roam these halls. I too would like some youth around here. Grace, what has the child said?”

“She wishes to stay with me. Sawyer wants to meet her mother. Perhaps someday she will wish to come here and live, but for now she has made it clear she wants to come to Glenbard.”

George nodded, visibly sadder, but he continued. “Understandable.” And that was all he said on the subject. “I believe Cassandra has something to say.”

“Since Grace’s banishment I became a handmaiden for the Lady Dedre, now that she has passed I have little left here. I have requested to leave Arganis and move to Glenbard with Grace and Donald.”

“No!” Grace practically shouted. All eyes fell on her. “Cassandra, no, Glenbard is a harsh place. It is wrought with unspeakable dangers for a woman such as yourself. I beg you to reconsider.”

“Do you not miss me, Grace?”

“I do, Cassandra, and I wish for nothing but to live near you again, but do not leave for Glenbard simply because it seems there is nothing left in Arganis. Please.”

Cassandra saw the pleading in Grace’s eyes as she spoke. Grace had described the hardships in Glenbard in her letters, but everything seemed to have a balance there. If Grace could make it, why should Cassandra not be able too?

“Grace…”

“Cassandra, you are like my sister and I want to protect you. Listen to me when I say Glenbard is far worse than my letters can convey. I have known women as strong willed and kind hearted as you that have met terrible fates. Stay here and continue your life of peace in Arganis.”

Cassandra bowed her head. She wanted to follow Grace, but she did not want to cause her friend to worry all the time about her well-being. “As you wish.”

Leon reached across the table to squeeze Cassandra’s hand. “It is for the best. Glenbard is no place for one as kind as yourself.”

George turned to Grace, “Are you keeping with your plan? Are you still leaving tomorrow?”

“We hope to be gone by noon. I have been away from Glenbard too long.”

She wanted to stay a while longer, but it was time to return.

Grace had crept into the cabin without a sound and had slipped into her Death Dealer clothes. She ran the mile to the nearest village to see if anything was amiss. Not far outside the village two men were carrying a baby’s bassinet. She hid among the trees to here their hushed conversation.

“There’s nothing wrong with taking the baby. Patrick and his wife owe us a lot of money and this baby is worth that amount.”

“It doesn’t seem right though.”

“We warned them if they didn’t pay up, we’d have to take something.”

Grace stepped out of the shadows to reveal herself.

“Look! The Death Dealer!” The man holding the baby pointed with his free hand. He had been the one against taking the baby to begin with. “I told you this was a bad idea.”

“Fool! The Dealer has been gone for years. This is just some little boy playing pretend.”

The man with the baby put the bassinet down and ran back through the village never to be heard from again. The other man lunged at Grace, but she was ready. He had no weapons so Grace did not draw her sword. Instead she planted her fist firmly on his nose. And as he staggered back from the hit she lunged at his midsection, forcing him to the ground.

He tried to fight back, but Grace grabbed a stone and hit him over the head with it. The man was knocked senseless. Making sure he was unconscious Grace got to her feet and walked over to the baby. She lifted the bassinet and walked into town. Only one house had any candles lit. She hoped this was the baby’s home.

When she knocked on the door a disheveled man answered. He looked at the baby and began to cry. “My son, my son!” He cried, unable to say anything else. Grace handed him the bassinet and as the father was cradling his child she stole away into the darkness.

Hey, that last section was really good Nikia. I was a bit suprised when you didn't have Saywer stay at the castle; you had set it all perfect and anything, but somehow it seemed like a nice twist. It made it more like real life than the perfect setup some stories are. And you had a lot of emotion in that last bit there. really like it all.

Grace walked slowly up the path. It had seemed like ages since she had put on the hood of the Death Dealer. She lived for her nights helping those in need, but it would not always be this way. The thought of giving it up forced a sigh from her lips. How life was changing.

The soft plodding of horse’s hooves caused Grace to look up. Dressed as the Dealer she had few fears, but she wondered what kind of person would be out so late. The horse and rider came up the path toward her. She relaxed when she realized the horse belonged to Calvin.

“I should have known you would go out tonight,” her cousin said, dismounting his horse and falling into step next to her. “The people miss the Death Dealer. Arganis is a bit jealous the Dealer moved south.”

Grace pulled the hood from her head and tried to smooth her hair as they walked. “I am sure they will find a way to move on.”

“Of course,” Calvin said.

“Calvin, I am worried about you.” Grace thought of his anger during the gathering and shuddered a little. “What you said earlier, if Frederick heard you. And this business of you being followed…”

“You should not worry about that. It is nothing.” Calvin’s tone was distant and his words had the opposite effect on Grace.

“Nothing? If we go to war it will be a test of your loyalty to king and country. And if you show any waning loyalty to Frederick he could very well take your head. I know you hate court, but please go back.”

“Go back, why?”

“Show Frederick you are not plotting with his enemies.”

“Grace, do you really believe he will take my head?”

Grace nodded. “He clearly does not trust you.”

Calvin smiled and Grace saw his white teeth flash in the dark. “Your concern is touching, and I know you are right, but I cannot play loyal to that tyrant forever. If Cesarnan goes to war, I am not sure what I will do. But for now I promise to return to the court in Ursana and play the loyal knight.”

Grace squeezed Calvin’s hand and smiled. “It is really all I ask.”

Early the next morning George, Leon, Calvin, Cassandra, and Henry gathered about the road leading away from the castle. They had come to bid Grace and the others farewell. Grace hugged each member of her family in turn. Her heart fell as she hugged Cassandra.

“Some day I will leave Glenbard and I will send for you right away.” She pulled away from Cassandra, still holding one of her friend’s hands.

“Remember, you all are welcome in Arganis and in my home whenever you wish.” George said, patting Sawyer on her head as he spoke.

“Will you be returning to Egona?” Jack asked Henry as the others said their good-byes.

“Not yet. In a week or so Calvin plans to return to the court. I will go when he leaves.” Henry gave Jack one last hug. “Keep the girls safe on the road back to Glenbard, though something tells me they are not going to need much protection.”

As they left Arganis the group was silent. Ridley rode in front, followed closely by Jack. Grace hung back with Sawyer sitting in front of her. The journey home would be uneventful. The travelers had much time to contemplate and share stories. Even young Sawyer opened up more than she had been. The other three learned she had a knack for story telling and encouraged her to tell as many stories as she wished.

Though the trip was pleasant when Glenbard came into view, they were all happy. Though Grace had a cloud of dread growing. As soon as they were in Glenbard she planned to get onto a merchant ship and go searching for Kay, with Sawyer in tow.

Chapter Eleven: Out to Sea

Grace carried two bags with some clothes, some food, and her Death Dealer garb. Behind her Sawyer carried her only bag, with some clothes and food. The girl followed Grace around the docks. Word at the Angel was a ship was leaving for Nareroc at noon today and that Kay’s ship, the Fearless Dawn, was at the Nareroc Islands due to storms brewing further out at sea.

Sawyer had barely spent two days in Glenbard before Grace announced they were going to find Kay. As much as Sawyer loved her time spent with Jack, Ridley, and Grace she was dying to meet her mother.

Grace spotted the ship she needed to be on, “Donald!” She waved her hands and jumped up on a crate.

Donald peered over the side of the ship and waved back. “Get on board! Everything has been arranged!”

Grace took Sawyer’s head and led her up. They were greeted by Donald. “The captain has allowed you to come with us to the spice islands, but he said if you do not do your share of the work, he will throw you overboard.”

“No need to worry about that, we plan on helping.”

Donald nodded and began to led Grace and Sawyer through the ships. “It will take about two weeks to get to the Nareroc Islands. The weather has been less than favorable around the islands so if we run into storms it will take longer.” Donald took them into the bowels of the ship. He opened a door just left of the stairs that led from the deck. “You two will stay in here. Be very kind to the first mate, he gave up his cabin so you two ladies would have some privacy. I will let you get settled. Come up to the deck as soon as you can. We will set out soon.”

Donald closed the door as he left. Grace dropped her bags on floor. There were two hammocks tied up. “You will be sleeping on that top hammock.” Grace said, looking at Sawyer from the corner of her eye.

“Good,” was all the girl said.

They stowed their things and headed back up to the deck.

(well Part Two is very near its end.)

Nikia, when you say Part1, Part2, do you mean Book1, Book2? I noticed your link says death dealer trilogy, and this would be an aweful long book.

just a little note: i'm loosing the feel of Jack. He's kind a becoming a background charecter to me. Its easy to forget how reclusive and angry he was before. Maybe you could give us a scene to remind us of that?

Nikia, when you say Part1, Part2, do you mean Book1, Book2? I noticed your link says death dealer trilogy, and this would be an aweful long book.

just a little note: i'm loosing the feel of Jack. He's kind a becoming a background charecter to me. Its easy to forget how reclusive and angry he was before. Maybe you could give us a scene to remind us of that?
In the third part (or book, it has yet to be decided) Jack and Ridley are the main characters. Grace will still be the focus, but most of it is going to be about what Jack and Ridley are up too.
They've been pushed into the background for now because I'm focusing on Grace's life without the inclusion of the others. Soon, Jack's brooding self will be back. The next bit I have to add will actually be about him.

The waves tossed the ship through the sea. And Grace’s stomach tossed and turned along with it. When she had first arrived in Glenbard she had wanted nothing more than to set sail. Now she wished she had stayed behind. Donald told her a day or two on the sea might disagree with her insides, but it felt like an eternity since they had left port.

Grace got out of her hammock and staggered out of the cabin and onto the deck. The moon’s light was cast across the ship. And if any had encountered Grace, even in the moonlight, they would have seen how green she appeared. She made her way to the side of the ship and hung her head over. The last of her vomit hit the waves and floated alongside the ship.

“Gracie,” Donald was behind her, holding a flask. “I promise it will be better soon.” He had said that on the first day and on day three her stomach still churned. “It will not last all the way to the islands.”

“Good,” she mumbled, taking the flask. The water felt good on her throat as she swallowed.

Donald took Grace by the arm and led her back to her cabin. He remembered his first week at sea. He was in far worse condition than Grace was and he had lived to tell the tale. She would be fine too.

Marcus relished the fact Ridley had returned safely from Arganis. He had also been happy to see Jack and Grace back, but his heart sank when Grace left within two days of her return. As she announced her departure Mayhew had screamed she’d be fired from the stables. Everyone had laughed, because everyone knew Mayhew would take her back the moment she returned. No one had ever put up with him for long, so he needed Grace’s help.

Grace’s leaving was a sullen one because many missed her around the Angel, but her errand with the child was important. Ridley had told Marcus that it was Kay’s child, but no one else had learned the secret yet. Marcus intended to keep his mouth shut on the affair.

Life when on as usual, but it seemed like Jack had stopped his life. Since he had begun courting Grace he had become a less our individual. He no longer sat in his corner brooding, he spoke with Ridley and others often and from time to time he laughed. Suddenly he was back in his sad corner, not speaking and certainly not laughing. Grace had left the Angel a few times to go into Egona and it never had this effect on Jack.

Marcus strode over to him and sat at his table. “You’re looking awfully angry these days.”

Jack took his pipe from his lips and shook his head. “I don’t like the idea of Grace going to the Nareroc Islands.”

“She’ll be back soon. You’ll see, in a little over a month she’ll be back.”

“It’s not that. I have this horrible feeling in my gut. Something’s going to happen to her and I won’t be there to help.”

“Jack, Grace is more than capable of taking care of herself. You’ll see.”
Jack didn’t say anything else, he just grunted.

Back