Does Susan go to the "New Narnia"?/Whatever happened to Susan?

it would be very intersting to find out.But i guess we'll never know...

i personaly think she did only it was written in the book clearly..

I remember reading somewhere that C.S. Lewis was originally going to stop the series at Voyage of the Dawn Treader. If that's true, it means he didn't intend Susan's falling away from Narnia from the beginning, because that happens in The Last Battle. (Of course the "symptoms" were showing up by Voyage.) I think he just wanted one of the kids who went to Narnia to fall away (to prove that point about how even people who know Jesus can lose faith) and picked Susan, because she was the most expendable.

I also remember reading somewhere that Lewis didn't intend for readers to like Susan. (I don't, but apparently some people do. But maybe that's the movie's fault.) I think she was intended to be a foil to Lucy, or something.

Last edited:
I thought Susan was alright at first, but then she got all bossy, trying to act grown up and didn't have much of imagination, so I was liking her character less and less as the series went on. I think C.S. Lewis wrote the character of Susan to show what happens when someone falls from grace, and loses their faith and imagination in something or someone.

Last edited:
Actually I thought Lucy and Susan represented opposites in letting God take control or holding on to an iron will.

becuase the book series has alot of refrences to christan themes within them i would be open to personal interpretion.... this makes know if susan did go to narnia that bit more diffuclt to figure out...

Jumping in to point out that Susan is a typical character archetype in British children's adventure stories. Just like Peter is the Responsible Older Brother figure, Susan is the Motherly Nurturing/Nagging Older Sister. She shows up a lot in stories of four or more children having adventures, usually under the name of Susan or Ann or Jane. She's the one who says things like "Don't forget to wipe your face" and "But Mother said!" and "We have to be home by dinner."

She's also the one who handles practical things, though, like making sandwiches or grabbing the mittens you forgot, and she may double as the Caring Voice or Emotional Center--comforting people, that sort of thing. Nesbit usually has at least one girl like this, and Jessie from the Boxcar Children is pretty similar. In Narnia, Lucy often takes on the comforting role, but Susan does the nurturing and the practicalities. This isn't even always a bad thing--remember, Su and Peter both worry about Lucy ("Should we write to Father?"), and she does things like remind people not to lose their shoes on the beach. The flip side of her personality is that she hates striking out into the unknown, and this shows itself in PC (although even there, it's only Lucy who immediately sees Aslan).

I think you have to read LB to see Susan going in that direction in VDT--being pretty and not too good at schoolwork doesn't make her materialistic any more than being smart and funny-looking makes someone a good person. And her parents seem to be using pretty standard parental logic there ("Peter's at school, so we should bring the oldest, who is almost finished with school and probably ready to start looking for a husband or something to do with her life, instead of the two little ones who wouldn't really appreciate the trip!")

I don't know what happened to Susan when she died... if she ever found her way back to Aslan; if she remained in limbo with the dwarves... or if her fate was worse and she entered Aslan's shadow. I may be in the minority because I like that we don't know and we will never know. (Even C. S. Lewis did not know!) I think it was very courageous of Lewis to leave Susan out of Narnia at the end, after building her up as one of the heroes for so long. Sometimes heroes fall. Sometimes good people do bad things and lose their faith. Sometimes good people do horrendously bad things, die before they repent and lose out on the Last Day. Sometimes bad people repent at the dying minute and get into the Kingdom. It's a warning to us all - if Susan that was Queen in Narnia could forget Narnia, then so could anyone.

Welcome Kat. I didn't see you post before. For me, I believe Susan came back to Narnia. I think a cool fan fic would be having her children find their way into Narnia or the Wood between the Worlds, and she follows them, remembering along the way. Kind of like that movie "Hook" with Peter Pan ...

this is a hard question

Im not entirely sure what happened to susan. I suppose once her family had died and gone to real narnia. Maybe the belief came back to her and when she was old she may of got their. or she may of grived for her family but becme even worse and never joined them As it wasnt witten what happened to her maybe we just have to guess you know.

Welcome slmerlinfan. I didn't see you post before. I agree with what you say, but I am wondering: what is your guess? Did she make it back to Aslan's country?

Welcome Kat. I didn't see you post before. For me, I believe Susan came back to Narnia. I think a cool fan fic would be having her children find their way into Narnia or the Wood between the Worlds, and she follows them, remembering along the way. Kind of like that movie "Hook" with Peter Pan ...
That would be a wonderful idea! I've read a fanfic where Susan is supposed to be Lily Potter's mother. Now that I think about it, I'm not sure exactly how that would work... because the Wizard World is not Narnia and Susan is definitely not a witch... But at the time I really enjoyed it.

I think I may have read that as well! It's a charming idea, actually. I forget how it worked though ...

As it wasnt witten what happened to her maybe we just have to guess you know.

I agree with you: this is left to our imaginations. I am sure we would all like to believe that somehow Susan did eventually come to the new Narnia. However, and I sincerely hope I don't offend anyone when I say this, my own reading of The Last Battle suggests it is possible that we are meant to believe she did not. On the other hand, maybe she did repent after the death of her family and was able to go there later in life. I rather like inkspot's suggestion that her children discovered Narnia or the wood between the worlds and that led to Susan eventually following them and, hopefully being reunited with her family. After all, Aslan himself said, "Once a king or queen of Narnia, always a king or queen of Narnia".

Last edited:
Welcome slmerlinfan. I didn't see you post before. I agree with what you say, but I am wondering: what is your guess? Did she make it back to Aslan's country?
my guess is that prehaps she didnt but then im not entirly sure. her parents did not know about narnia and they still got there so in some cases she may of done but it is all guess work.

Last edited:
I should have thought it rather unlikely that Susan's parents knew anything at all about Narnia, unless they had actually been there, and there is no evidence as far as I can see that they had. Of course, it is possible that one of the children, Lucy most likely, told them about Narnia, but I rather doubt she would have been believed, as they would have found her account too fantastic.

Yeah. That's a good point. I know I like to think that Susan eventually got to the Real Narnia after years of heartache, and possibly her parents too.

Back