Does Susan go to the "New Narnia"?/Whatever happened to Susan?

As for Susan's case, if we see it on Christian view we know that Lewis try to hang his story there for us to have our own stories and how will Susan find her way back to Narnia. Most of us assume that Susan can find her way back to her family where they are living in " Real Narnia."

I wrote a fan fic a while back if any one wants to know my opinion on the matter it is the Professor's Writing Club.

Your opinion is spot on, Lava. I absolutely agree with you that it's in the Professor's Writing Club... :D

I think an excellent angle on the "Question of Susan" involves Aslan's quote that someone is only told their own story, not what might have been. And that Susan went down a different path. But in the end there are only two destinations. And she asks which one... Aslan tells her that she was fortunate. "Will it hurt?" she asked. He motions for her to look around and she sees the old lady she had become sitting slumped on the couch. She reaches up to feel of her face and feels....wet. She is crying. Then she felt wet because the Great Lion kissed away her tears. "Come, Daughter. They have been waiting for you."

Did Lewis do this on purpose? left Susan out of Narnia so that we would always have this ache in our hearts for her? What do you suppose is the lesson behind this?

I think he wanted us to keep a clear vision of what really matters in life; he implies that Susan allowed her perception to be limited by focusing on things that weren't as important and forgetting things that really mattered. She had to grow up, of course, but she did not have to forget the authentic lessons of childhood as she did. Lewis often drew this contrast between being "child-like" and "child ish". I think he thought a child-like belief in goodness was important, while a childish emphasis on appearances and pretense was soul-killing. I believe that is the lesson of Susan's defection.

I also believe, in the end, she came back to the truth. ES' little story above seems about right. :)

In the book the last battle it says and I qoute 'suddenly they shifed there eyes to anther spot and then lpeter and edmund and lucy gasped in amazement and shouted out and began waveing for there they saw their own mother and father waveing back at them accross the deep valley' so what i was trying to get at was they didnt know about narnia but their country was part of the counties jutting out from aslans country so maybe usan got their in the end but i guess its just left to are imgination

I was just wondering because the first time I read that she was "no longer a friend of Narnia" I felt as if I had been stabbed in the heart. That was many years ago, and my heart still aches for her. Doesn't any one else feel the same? :(

I was just wondering because the first time I read that she was "no longer a friend of Narnia" I felt as if I had been stabbed in the heart. That was many years ago, and my heart still aches for her. Doesn't any one else feel the same? :(
Yes, I felt exactly the same way, but now I believe she found her way back to Narnia after all, so I don't worry about her. :)

Very important question. Does "no longer a friend of Narnia" mean an ENEMY of Narnia?

Consider the woman that led the fight to have the SS Charleston turned into a museum ship, only to get burned out after three hard years and arguements with her fellow activists. Later in life she got passionately involved in animal welfare and started a no-kill shelter for unwanted or abused cats.

Is she a BAD person? Probably not. Is she a friend of the Charleston? Probably not. Does she want the ship cut up for scrap and the museum people sacked...I don't think so. Can she ever be as great by saving cats from certain death as she was preserving an old boat as a museum? I think so.

I don't think anyone meant Susan had turned into an axe murderer, but having an experience of Narnia, of meeting Aslan face-to-face, and then forgetting about it ... that's a bit different than getting burnt-out on one crusade and taking up another. If we follow CSL's supposition that Aslan was Jesus incarnate as a lion in Narnia, then Susan's no longer being a friend of Narnia does have more repercussions than something like switching causes from AIDS in Africa to pro-life in America, I think.

I don't see Susan's change as simply switching causes. I think it is like people rejecting the Lord after walking with him for some time and after having had a personal relationship with him. I always fear that it is more in line with the writing in 2 Peter 3:20.

If they have escaped the corruption of the world by knowing our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and are again entangled in it, and overcome, they are worse off at the end than they were at the beginning. -New International Version.

So as you can see, I always have that fear about Susan, hence the lingering heartache.

I always thought that Susan never made it to 'The New Narnia' But now that I've seen some points proven I would say that she lost sight of aslan (God) and began to love worldly things, like most people in our culture! I don't think we will ever know what really happened to Susan!

Susan was one of the "Lost Souls"" of Narnia. She abandoned any and all hope of ever returning, so she is what can be compared to one who "has seen the light" and instead turned away from it for her own ambitions.

Susan was one of the "Lost Souls"" of Narnia. She abandoned any and all hope of ever returning, so she is what can be compared to one who "has seen the light" and instead turned away from it for her own ambitions.
I disagree that she has lost all hope. Why should that be? She could have a change of heart, as anyone can. :)

I was always disappointed that Susan did this...I feel like since it was the end of the series, I wanted it to be happy..it was like something was missing with her doing this..I love it when all the Pevensies are in the books/movies.

I think it was appropriate to do it, as Life may be happy but it's never a perfect fairytale. Nothing can change that. The good news is that Susan can turn back to Aslan, she has not gotten past that point of no return as the dwarfs in LB. She can still save herself if she would humble herself to Him.

I think that though Susan is lost when all the rest of her family including her parents end up in Narnia she to eventually gets there. I am reminded of how many times in my life and still to this day lose my way.

However a great writer (Max Lucado) once wrote:

At first I didn’t recognize him. I guess I was expecting someone in a flowing frock with silky-white hands. But it was he. The lion. The Judean Lion. He walked out from among the dense trees of theology and ritual and lay down in a brief clearing. In his paw was a wound and in his mane were stains of blood. But there was a royalty about him that silenced even the breeze in the trees.

Bloodstained royalty. A God with tears. A creator with a heart. God became earth’s mockery to save his children.

He also (Lucado) reminds us that wherever we are, no matter how far we we have strayed, no matter how low he have become we need only "Look to the Cross, to find our way home."

I thank GOD and Aslan for that. No hope for Susan some of you have suggested? I can only reply if there is no hope for Susan then we're all doomed.

May Aslan walk with you all of your days my Brothers and Sisters of Narnia until we all met in Narina and Aslan's Country.

FOR NARNIA and FOR ASLAN!

For the benefit of newcomers who may not know this...

Phillip Pullman, the God-mocking author of The Golden Compass, hates C.S. Lewis with a blind fury. He therefore once wrote an essay called "The Darker Side of Narnia," which contained flat-out LIES attacking Mr. Lewis. One of the lies was to claim that Susan was included among the damned in the "Last Judgment" at the Stable in The Last Battle. Anyone who has read the book, knows this is not so; Pullman MADE IT UP, out of his eagerness to portray Mr. Lewis as having a cruel spirit. Mr. Lewis' message is that Susan COULD end up damned if never repenting, not that she WAS damned.

For the benefit of newcomers who may not know this...

Phillip Pullman, the God-mocking author of The Golden Compass, hates C.S. Lewis with a blind fury. He therefore once wrote an essay called "The Darker Side of Narnia," which contained flat-out LIES attacking Mr. Lewis. One of the lies was to claim that Susan was included among the damned in the "Last Judgment" at the Stable in The Last Battle. Anyone who has read the book, knows this is not so; Pullman MADE IT UP, out of his eagerness to portray Mr. Lewis as having a cruel spirit. Mr. Lewis' message is that Susan COULD end up damned if never repenting, not that she WAS damned.

Well, those well versed in Narnia will see right through it, it's just the same idiots that claim that C.S. Lewis is a children's author and nothing more that will fall for it.

Back