Does Susan go to the "New Narnia"?/Whatever happened to Susan?

well he wrote the story for his goddaughter lucy but by the time he finish she was too old for fairy tales!!

Aww, too bad. But at least he wrote a great book and she probably enjoyed it even though she was too old for faerie tales. I guess I had better get writing my stories right now before my goddaughter even exists, lol.

Yes. In the last battle, Aslan told that all the worlds were connected by His own country. If Susan finally believed again, then she too would be able to go to Aslan's country. She would be able to travel to all of the worlds. Although Narnia is itself a world within a world. She might have to travel a bit before she could find where Narnia and England hooked on to wherever she came to. Did that make sense? Am I right?

Hope for Susan!!

Hey everyone, I was just thinking about this the last couple of days and I just had a discussion with some fellow narnia friends after watching the movie again today :) Well, here are my thoughts...

I am convinced that Susan will find her way back to Narnia and here's why:
1) The number one reason is that Aslan says, "Once a King or Queen of Narnia, always a King or Queen." I think this means that she will find her way back and eventually figure out Chrsitianity in the end.
2) Everyone except Susan perished on the train and are now in "Aslan's country" or heaven. Hopefully, through the death of her close family, she will realize the transitory nature of life and realize how meaningless pursuing the things of this world are, and turn to Christ [Aslan] in the end. This gives Susan the chance to repent and turn back to Christianity, which she eventually will in the end because of reason #1 above.
3) It is Peter and Polly in LB who are speaking about her falling away and not being a friend of Narnia anymore. It's not like Aslan himself has come out and said that Susan is no friend of Narnia, its merely Peter and Polly speculating about the condition of her heart. Aslan knows the condition of her heart, and the choices she will make in the future, even if she isn't making the correct ones now.

So there is yet much hope for Susan (and good news for us Susan fans!) to join us in Aslan's country in the end...

narnia#1fan said:
so thenn susan doesn't die and everyone does that so confusing why wasn't he on the train to?
I forget what the book says, but there is some explanation as to why Susan wasn't on the train with her parents or the other kids, anyone remember? I thought it was because she was in America.

I did not realize Lewis had speculated about what might have become of her -- thanks for that insight, onymystory.

That is very, very interesting. Can you give us a reference to that letter onlymystory? I would love to read that "speculation" about Susan voiced to a concerned child.

How I See Susan

It broke my heart as a child when Susan was not included in the final trip to Narnia. As an adult, I have realized that Lewis was not simply being cruel in writing it the way he did. I think that he left a door open to Susan becoming a modern-day Digory, ala Professor Digory in LWW. Perhaps--as I choose to believe--Susan overcame her grief at the terrible loss of her entire family, and came into possession of the rings, as well as her family's wealth. Perhaps she married, had children, grandchildren, and--by the present day--great-grandchildren. Think of it! These children now have a conduit into the wonderful lands beyond, by means of their great-grandmother's rings! And upon the death of the grand old woman Susan has become, she will join her family in the stable, in the flower of her youth once more, always and forever, "Susan, Queen of Narnia." After all, in LWW, did Aslan not say, "Once a King or Queen of Narnia, always a King or Queen of Narnia"? And when have we known Aslan to lie?

How I See Susan (Re-post)

*This is a re-post of a reply I made to a thread I found when running my own Google-search on the fate of Susan.*

It broke my heart as a child when Susan was not included in the final trip to Narnia. As an adult, I have realized that Lewis was not simply being cruel in writing it the way he did. I think that he left a door open to Susan becoming a modern-day Digory, ala Professor Digory in LWW. Perhaps--as I choose to believe--Susan overcame her grief at the terrible loss of her entire family, and came into possession of the rings, as well as her family's wealth. Perhaps she married, had children, grandchildren, and--by the present day--great-grandchildren. Think of it! These children now have a conduit into the wonderful lands beyond, by means of their great-grandmother's rings! And upon the death of the grand old woman Susan has become, she will join her family in the stable, in the flower of her youth once more, always and forever, "Susan, Queen of Narnia." After all, in LWW, did Aslan not say, "Once a King or Queen of Narnia, always a King or Queen of Narnia"? And when have we known Aslan to lie?

There are a couple of things I find fascinating about Susan's story. We are told that she refuses to talk to the others about Narnia, and speaks about it as if it were just a game they played as children. Instead she focusses her
attention on fashion and make up and being 'grown up'.

But if you think about it, is it really at all likely that she believes Narnia was just a game they used to play? She lived for years in Narnia. She already grew up there once and we know she became an exceptional beauty with many suitors. Isn't there probably something a lot deeper going on than simple disbelief?

Peter, Lucy and even Jill's acceptance of Narnia is impulsive. They just take it as what it is and go with it. Edmund and Eustace both come to understand it by learning valuable lessons about themselves from their time there. Susan's different. She never really stops trying to be realistic and think things through sensibly, which doesn't ever get her anywhere in Narnia.

She's more rooted in how 'our' world works. I think it's natural therefore that Susan's path needs to be different to that of the others. I would suspect that while they do their learning and growing in Narnia, Susan needs to make her spiritual journey in our world. I'd like to think that for all it seems that way, Susan's story isn't one of warning or condemnation. She's no worse a person than the others, she's just not so capable of leaps of faith.

I think it's just that she needs to get back to Narnia by making sense of things for herself, not through revelation like the others.

I find myself in total agreement. I believe Susan's journey must be completed in this world as well. However, I feel it has as much to do with the terrible tragedy that befell her, in losing all her family in one fell swoop, as with her well-demonstrated loss of belief in Narnia. Had she perished in the train, I feel she would have met the same Narnian fate as Jill, Eustace, Lucy, and her brothers. I feel that--just as she did in Prince Caspian--she would have felt great remorse at her unbelief, and would have once more been welcomed by the forgiving Lion.

I have always believed that Susan would get back to Narnia....I could'nt believe she would forever be out of Narnia!! ;) My friends don't like Susan but I always liked her...probably because I know what its like being the oldest daughter...mothers tend to (at least the mothers I know) haver their oldest daughter help with babys...and such......Susan's practality is not that she is'nt fun its just that she is more her mothers right hand then Peter would be...I feel sorry for her...but anyway she has to find her way back in!!! :( has too!! And are you ever to old for Fairy Tales? I know I'm not!!

Ok sorry that I am posting twice so close together but there was something I had to say...Somebody said on this forum(I didnt see this post till after I had posted my last one)that they didnt think that Lucy, Peter, and Edmund, and everybody else could be completely happy without her...and in this world probably not! But in heaven things are differnt...I can't understand how I or anybody could be happy without close friends and family but somehow (in a way that our simple brains can't understand) we will...but I do think she will find her way back to Narnia or Heaven or one of those paradises!!! :eek: I think she just has too!!

I'll try to find the reference again. I think it was in a collection of letters I found. It may take me awhile but I will post it as soon as I can. And Lewis isn't clear on where exactly Susan is, just that she wasn't on the train. But remember that in LB, Jill and Eustace are the only ones still in school and it sounds like its probably their last year. If Lucy is out of school then Susan could be anywhere. She wouldn't have a reason to be on the train.

I'm actually reading the insert form the older bbc dvd collection (the new one has bonus discs and stuff) and in the "Little Known Narnia Facts" it states:

"Digory Kirke, Polly Plummer, Peter Pevensie, Edmund Pevensie, Lucy Pevensie, Eustace Scrubb, and Jill Pole were all killed in a serious railway accident in 1949"

Is this serious!?
Dear god thats deppresing

and if its not true, which I hope it isnt,
then it can be said that the reason susan is not there is because she isnt actaully dead yet within the real-world context of the plot-line

does anybody else know anything about this?

Last edited:
The reason the others were on the train in the first place was because they were meeting up with Edmund and Peter who had dug up the magic rings (the same ones used in MN). They wanted to send Jill and Eustace back into narnia because they had a feeling that they were needed. Susan had dismissed their memories of Narnia as their childhood games and wasn't interested in it. Therefore she would not have had any interest in the rings whatsoever.

wow, all these posts are so awesome! when i first read LB, i was very sad for Susan. I just couldn't understand, because i read it when i was 11. But after reading all these posts, it gets my hope for Susan. Wow, Lewis was amazingly good at allegoring to the real-world christianity!

Back