Does Susan go to the "New Narnia"?/Whatever happened to Susan?

they do grow up, but they still have the faith they had in their childhood. Digory and Polly got older but I don't think that changed anything. They stay kids in away unlike Susan who got too caught up in the world and wanting to be old that she lost her faith.

Inkspot, you must remember the promise "Once a Queen of Narian, always a Queen of Narnia". I don't just wish happy endings, The Lord makes promises to complete the good work he has started in us. I am not the Calvinist I use to be. People do leave the faith in our eyes. What the Holy Spirit is doing, i only have His Word to us as my understanding. I too have always imagined a good sequel that picks up with what happens to Susan. Even wrote a starting chapter myself. But where is she to go, Narnia is no more. Going to the New Narnia wouldn't do. It is Heaven, not a place where you deal with evil, both inner and outer kinds. Jumping into a pool won't work to get there anyhow, when only the Door that Peter seals in LB is the only way to New Narnia. Is there a way to get permission to write a sequel? Another Chistian writer did write a sequel to The Screwtape Letters. :(

Last edited:
ToO,

The phrase about once a king or queen, always one does not necessarily imply a "once saved always saved" Calvinistic approach to Susan. It remains as an historical fact in both the Earth of the Pevensies and the Narnia of the Pevensies that the High Kings and Queens really and truly existed and altered the course of that world. A fact, as someone famously observed, is a truth made physical, and once that is accomplished, not even Aslan or Jesus will alter it in Narnia or here! And, since Narnia is ended in the physical fact sense within the Narniaverse, it is an UNALTERABLE reality that Susan was always shall have been a Queen there. That does not mean that she ultimately ends in the Real Narnia without regard to her later life choices. That is my take, at any rate.

TimmyofOz said:
But where is she to go, Narnia is no more. Going to the New Narnia wouldn't do. It is Heaven, not a place where you deal with evil, both inner and outer kinds. Jumping into a pool won't work to get there anyhow, when only the Door that Peter seals in LB is the only way to New Narnia. (
Criminy, Timmy, rain on my parade! :(

Inked, Like I said I'm not the calvinist I use to be. My Ex-wife fooled me and maybe herself into seeing herself as a Christian. She loves Jesus like her love of country but don't let that get in you way of abandoning you husband for another man. So people do follow what they think of as Jesus. Did Susan do that? That is her story. She fell away and LB was the last book. :(

Last edited:
TimmyofOz said:
Inked, Like I said I'm not the calvinist I use to be. My Ex-wife fooled me and maybe herself into seeing herself as a Christian. She loves Jesus like her love of country but don't let that get in you way of abandoning you husband for another man. So people do follow what they think of as Jesus. Did Susan do that. She fell away and LB was the last book. :(

That's true, if Aslan and Jesus are the same person, when she stopped believing in Aslan, she stopped believing in Jesus too...

waterhogboy said:
That's true, if Aslan and Jesus are the same person, when she stopped believing in Aslan, she stopped believing in Jesus too...
But that doesn't mean she stopped believing forever. I know this very well because of my own checquered past (yes, Inky was once checquered and not always the plain, sweet and wholesome gal you know and love). In Revelation 2:4-5, Jesus said, "But you walked away from your first love--why? What's going on with you, anyway? Do you have any idea how far you've fallen? A Lucifer fall! Turn back! Recover your dear early love. No time to waste, for I'm well on my way to removing your light from the golden circle" (The Message Bible).

It's clear that anyone who once loved Christ can return to Him and love Him again, no matter how far they have fallen (trust me on this!). And in books that are not Scripture and are fantsasy with already a twist about how much times passes there while you are away from the fantasy land, I don't see why Susan couldn't get back, even if she were an old grandma.

Timmy: sorry about your ex, that is dreadful. But it's human (carnal), too. Jesus loves and forgives, and He helps you do the same, blessed be He.

Thanks Inkspot, LB was the final book. And Aslan made it a practice never to be open about other's story. "No one is told any story but their own". CS Lewis wanted to inject that Susan had fell away and the other friends of Narnia knew it. But her story is not told and Aslan wasn't going to help us. Lewis probably did this on purpose so we would debate her fate and trust in Aslan (Jesus). :D

In VDT Aslan tells the children they need to know Him in their world. I just hope the Susans of this world know Jesus and not waste too much time about Aslan. Maybe she will just grow out of the baby's milk of Aslan to something better. Is that blaphemy here? :eek:

Nah, not blasphemy. But being as Aslan and Christ are the same, it's a meaningless distinction. It's my belief Susan returned to Christ and was reunited with her family in the New Narnia by the end of her days. :D

In "The Last Battle", I think one of the children mention that Susan is more interested in nylons (or something of that sort) than Narnia anymore. Since the Chronicles and especially "The Last Battle" is related to Lewis' Christian beliefs, I think Lewis is implying that Susan has become materialistic and therefore has fallen away from those beliefs. If you look at "The Screwtape Letters", in Screwtape's first letter to Wormwood he suggests that its really important to keep his patient seeing a lot of his materialist friend to keep him with "the Father Below".

inkspot said:
Nah, not blasphemy. But being as Aslan and Christ are the same, it's a meaningless distinction. It's my belief Susan returned to Christ and was reunited with her family in the New Narnia by the end of her days. :D

Sorry all... I have not posted for quite some time (and not on this thread). Been quite busy. Anyhow, I found this discussion interesting in a number of ways. First, C.S. Lewis absolutely believed that Susan "Lost her salvation." It was inherent in his theology per the screwtape letters. Thus, in the fiction C.S. Lewis writes, Susan is lost and will never again feel the love of Aslan, unless she repents and comes to Christ. Remember, they were brought there so they could come to know Christ better in this world. Susan rejected Aslan and by definition, Jesus.

Now.. I DARE not touch the predestination argument! or by extension, the once saved always saved argument. LOL..

inkspot said:

OOPS...... I quoted the wrong one last time... Sorry. LOL, out of practice.

Now, It would be impossible to be reunited in Narnia, as Susan was not brought into Narnia. She now belongs to this world. However, if Susan comes to Christ, she can once again be reunited. However, in heaven, she would be in England. Which ajoins Narnia and every other world. Thus, they are reunited, in a way.

I get it. You think for sure Susan is not saved (not a believer in Christ) at the end of TLB, and I agree. But Lewis mercifully did not have her on the platform or the train, so she survived when all her family was killed. Why? Because while she is alive in the shadlowlands, she may yet return to Christ and be reunited with her family in heaven. It's my idea that the New Narnia is a symbol of heaven, and as it adjoins the New England, also a symbol of heaven, she will find her family there and be with them. Why not?

inkspot said:
I get it. You think for sure Susan is not saved (not a believer in Christ) at the end of TLB, and I agree. But Lewis mercifully did not have her on the platform or the train, so she survived when all her family was killed. Why? Because while she is alive in the shadlowlands, she may yet return to Christ and be reunited with her family in heaven. It's my idea that the New Narnia is a symbol of heaven, and as it adjoins the New England, also a symbol of heaven, she will find her family there and be with them. Why not?

EXACTAMUNDO!!!

Although I personally disagree with C.S. Lewis. I don't believe that a person can lose thier salvation.

Susan: What if the book was extended?

If the book was extended, what would become of Susan, and how to you think CS Lewis would put it? Originally, he wrote these stories as stories, but he tried to make comparisions to the christianity side of things.

In this book, Susan does not come to Narnia because she pretty much stopped believing it or something. But she was still alive in the "non narnian" world. In time, do you think she would have gone back to believing in narnia after she got over herself? (like so many christians do after they fall away from the faith) I was just thinking that after a while, she would come to her senses and then get to the new narnia that aslan created. This of course is just my imagination, and I am curious how everyone else thinks it would have turned out.

End times

Well, if Susan turned back to her faith, wouldn't it be too late for her? I mean in the end times Jesus will return but there's not going to be anymore chances after that. So because there is a new Narnia, she probably cannot get in even if she turns back and then dies.
Well, at least that's how my thinking goes.

Hmmm, possibly, but for some reason, I always had it in my head that she still had a chance. I mean, the doors to narnia weren't closed after LB were they? I'm not sure exactly how that relates to end times, but I know that the end times are really a process as described in the bible, but I'm sure how it works in narnia :p

Back