In the Heart of Anvard (My Kingdom For a Horse): Free RP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Flower also went over to the trough and balanced precariously on the edge of it. She slipped though and tumbled in. Then she pulled herself out and shook the water off her fur, then, acting like nothing had happened, she lapped up water from the trough.

"Goodness, I would have given you a dish!" The farm wife detached a throwrug from a clothesline, and brought it to offer to dry Flower's fur more completely. "A good idea," observe Retaw, "since you're going to be in with all the parchments."

Flower chuckled and aloud herself to be dried off.

"Not the first time that's happened, and it won't be the last. My brothers used to push me into the Great River all the time.... And that water is a tad colder! Anyway I needed a bath, been doing to much flying to clean myself, and I don't really fancy falling into mountian streams."

The farm wife, whose name proved to be Sweetpool, gave Flower a piece of smoked fish to take along and eat later. Learning at nearly the last instant where the Gryphon and the Cat were bound, she gasped, "Oh! My brother Larto is a dockworker there! He works at Split Rock Pier. Please, if you have time, find Larto at Split Rock Pier, and tell him that Sweetpool says his nephews are well, and we sold our prize breeding ewe for a good price."

"That should be no problem." Retaw assured her. "We can bear your message to your brother Larto while a merchant of the port is writing a reply to the letter I bring him from his associate."

Flower nodded.

"Ok, will do. Thanks, bye! Hope to see you again!" she calls as feels herself being lifted upwards again. She watches the mother and her two little boys as they become smaller and smaller, then disapear altogether. Then she curles up in the bag, not asleep, but looking like it.

Retaw could fly much faster as lightly loaded as he was, than when he had been carrying human beings. The morning was not yet ended when he sighted the gleam of the Eastern Ocean, and then identified the seaport he sought. Once alighting upon a busy street, the Gryphon had no need to exert himself to obtain people's attention; and the very first citizen he questioned was able to tell him where to find the mercantile house he sought. After meeting with the merchant, he would turn to seeking Larto.

Flower's doze was broken when she heard sounds from the streets about her. Sighing she popped her head out and surveyed the area.

'I don't know of any cities this big in Narnia. Maybe near Cair Paravel, but never that I've seen.... They need more trees and woods.' she decides.

At the entrance to the merchant's house, a gigantic non-intelligent mastiff went berserk at the sight of the Gryphon. Snapping his tether, the guard dog made a furious but terribly unwise attack--to be caught around his muscular neck by one of Retaw's talons. The Gryphon pinned the astonished beast to the pavement without doing him any serious injury, though the mastiff's frightened yelping was loud enough to wake the dead.

"Poor simple creature, you were only doing your duty," said Retaw in soothing humanlike tones. "Flower, while I keep this fellow under control, would you please try to make someone in the house understand that we bring a letter?"

Flower did not have to wait long at all. A male secretary was just coming to investigate the noise from out front. "Who--? What--?" Then he looked lower. "Goodness, are you a Narnian Cat? Are you the reason why Ironbite is making such a commotion?"

The secretary went out the door, where he took in with surprising calmness the sight of a Gryphon holding Ironbite the mastiff pinned. "Please, allow me to take him." Retaw let go of the dog's neck as soon as the man had his own hands on the dog. Ironbite crowded up against the secretary for comfort, like a scared puppy; the secretary stroked him reassuringly.

"I'm sorry, Master Gryphon, but we do have to guard against thieves. Ironbite lets anyone pass unopposed whom he recognizes as a friend of his owner. My name is Dolzin. Your feline friend spoke of postal service; has the King recruited Narnians to supplement his post riders?"

"Not the King," replied Retaw. "We are working under a private arrangement with an innkeeper in Anvard. Flower, would you please pick out the sealed scroll with the red and gold ribbons, the one intended for Squire Spalik?"

NPC Archenlanders

"Yes!" Dolzin interjected. "I recognize the seal." He took the scroll solemnly. "Do I owe you money for this?"

Retaw shook his head. "No, it was paid for by the sender. If Squire Spalik wants to send a letter back, and can have it written in the next half hour, we will carry it to Anvard for two silver pieces."

"I have no doubt that my employer will want to reply," Dolzin said. "Can I offer you two any--?"

He was interrupted by the appearance of the merchant. Spalik was not the fat pig so often depicted in envy-based stories about merchants; he was a normal-looking man, dressed well but not gaudily. "What's this, do we have Narnian visitors?"

Dolzin was quick to explain the visit, handing his master the scroll.

Squire Spalik nodded to the Narnians. "Thank you. My secretary must have been about to offer you refreshment. I agree with the offer. Let me read this in my office, while he sees to your needs."

"We seem to get interesting welcomes where ever we end up." muttered Flower under her breath, "If Midnight could see me now I wonder what he'd say?"

"I'll fetch some for you to try. If you don't like it, Ironbite will gladly lap it up. And you, Sir Gryphon?"

"Some plain water, and any old piece of meat, raw or cooked, thank you."

Dolzin was quick and efficient about bringing what was offered--which in Retaw's case included a hunk of roast beef which would have amply fed two men. "Thank you," said the Gryphon, "this will be just right. Flower, you can have a bit of this if the milk doesn't suit you. After that, we need to find Split Rock Pier."

"That's no problem," Dolzin told them. "We're within two hundred yards of it. Most of Squire Spalik's incoming merchandise is offloaded there."

Flower sniffed the milk then drank a little of it.

'Not bad. Suppose I'll save my other food for later.' she thinks.
Upon finding she liked milk Flower drank her bowl and wished she could lick the inside, but her mother had always said it was never good to lick anything clean when there were others around. So Flower sighed and waited for them to be on the move again.

Dolzin smiled. "We can afford it if you'd like a little more milk."

Retaw, meanwhile, happily devoured his beef.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back