Quotes By C.S. Lewis

"Has this world been so kind to you that you should leave with regret? There are better things ahead than any we leave behind."

"Miracles are a retelling in small letters of the very same story which is written across the whole world in letters too large for some of us to see."

"And then she understood the devilish cunning of the enemies' plan. By mixing a little truth with it they had made their lie far stronger."

"'Yes,' said Queen Lucy. 'In our world too, a Stable once had something inside it that was bigger than our whole world.'"

Both of these are from the last battle and my fave quote of them all

"For them its the end of the story but for us its only the beginning of the real story which no one on earth has read and each day is better then the last. The futher up and further in you go the clearer things become

"If the universe is so bad...how on earth did human beings ever come to attribute it to the activity of a wise and good Creator?"

"It may be hard for an egg to turn into a bird: it would be a jolly sight harder for it to learn to fly while remaining an egg. We are like eggs at present. And you cannot go on indefinitely being just an ordinary, decent egg. We must be hatched or go bad."

"God cannot give us happiness and peace apart from himself, because it is not there. There is no such thing."

"If you read history you will find that the Christians who did most for the present world were precisely those who thought most of the next. It is since Christians have largely ceased to think of the other world that they have become so ineffective in this."

I love so many of his quotes but the one on the tip of my tongue right now is
'...a man writing a story is too excited about the story itself to sit back and notice how he is doing it...'
~C.S. Lewis

No philosophical theory which I have yet come across is a radical improvement on the words of Genesis, that "in the beginning God made Heaven and Earth."
C S LEWIS (Miracles)

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great."

One of my favorite quotes is the one about friendship, because it's so true! Another is this:

"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." CS Lewis

And one that struck me very hard was found within in the Narnian Chronicles, spoken by Lucy in Prince Caspian: "Wouldn't it be dreadful if some day, in our own world, at home, men started going wild on the inside, like the animals here, and still looked like men, so you'd never know which were which?"

I've encountered that thought before, even before reading it. Perhaps it's because of my own personal history, but I'll pass people on the street (men mostly - sorry guys), and wonder, "Is this a man who has committed some crime against another girl like me?" You can never tell just by looking at someone. I guess that's where the Holy Spirit comes in, helping us refine the gifts of discernment and wisdom.

Kind of a downer, I know, but thanks for listening.

Love and hugs,
Nika

"God whispers to us in our pleasures, speaks to us in our conscience, but shouts in our pains: it is His megaphone to rouse a deaf world."

An interveiwer asked Lewis: "Professor Lewis, if you had a young friend with some interest in writing on Christian subjects, how would you advise him to prepare himself? "

This was Lewis' responce: "“I would say if a man is going to write on chemistry, he learns chemistry. The same is true of Christianity. But to speak of the craft itself, I would not know how to advise a man how to write. It is a matter of talent and interest. I believe he must be strongly moved if he is to become a writer. Writing is like a ‘lust,’ or like ‘scratching when you itch.’ Writing comes as a result of a very strong impulse, and when it does come, I for one must get it out.”

"It is only our bad temper that we put down to being tired or worried or hungry; we put our good temper down to ourselves."

"We live, in fact, in a world starved for solitude, silence, and private: and therefore starved for meditation and true friendship."

"If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth olny soft soap and wishful thinking to begin, and in the end, despair."

Back