Story of a Servant

Princey

Hey guys, after a long break I came back here to update my fanfic, Story of a Servant, but found it was gone.

So I wanted to ask if you guys want me to post the previous chapters again and Chapter 5 which I never put up. But if you don't want to read it, that's fine.

I just wanted to know :D

Yes put them all up!!! i was like searching for your story and then i thought they probably deleted it. I loved your story and a lot of other ppl did too so post it up!

Aww, thank you! Okay, so I'll post each of the chapters in different posts.

CHAPTER 1

“To the glistening Eastern Sea, I give you Queen Lucy the Valiant. To the great Western Wood, King Edmund the Just. To the radiant Southern Sun, Queen Susan the Gentle. And to the clear Northern Sky, I give you King Peter, the Magnificent. Once a King or Queen of Narnia, always a King or Queen. May your wisdom grace us until the stars rain down from the heavens.”
Aslan’s majestic voice rang through the halls of Cair Paravel. Everyone cheered.
“Long live King Peter! Long live King Edmund! Long live Queen Susan! Long live Queen Lucy!” The final sentence was the loudest as the youngest Queen of Narnia smiled shyly at the crowd.
Sunlight streamed in through the stained glass windows, sending colours of light splashing onto the vast walls. Behind the crowds of cheerful people dressed in rich velvet, a girl stood peering over their shoulders.
One could easily tell she was a servant at the castle by the way she was dressed. She was wearing a tattered brown dress that barely went past her knees, and she wore nothing on her feet. Her hair was pulled into a messy bun at the nape of her neck. She had brought in the satin cushions bearing the crowns that were to be placed on the heads of the new Kings and Queens of Narnia. The girl’s name was Kari.
Kari was extremely envious of the young rulers. There they were, practically strangers to Narnia, and they had been crowned Kings and Queens just because they had fulfilled some prophecy. King Edmund and Queen Lucy were quite a lot younger than her, and they still got to govern over a magical kingdom.
There was a good side to all this though. It meant the end of the White Witch and the eternal winter she had cast upon Narnia. It had given way to summer. Even at this moment she could hear birds twittering outside. And the river- she could hear it rippling. She had heard that it had been frozen solid for one hundred years. But of course she wouldn’t know- she was only sixteen years of age. Around the same age as Queen Susan.
Kari felt another pang of jealousy. She had been a servant at Cair Paravel all her life. She didn’t have any parents. She couldn’t even afford to get decent shoes. She craned her neck to take another good look at the royals. King Peter was tall, with sandy hair. King Edmund was the opposite. He had a rather pinched face with messy, dark hair. Looking at Queen Susan quite simply took Kari’s breath away. She was wearing a beautiful velvet dress that seemed to ripple with her every movement. Her long, dark hair hung in a French braid behind her. Kari thought Queen Lucy was dressed too lavishly for her age. She must have been only ten or eleven, and was wearing clothes similar to Queen Susan.
There was another thing Kari longed for, other than fame and riches. She wanted a family. All four of the Kings and Queens were brothers and sisters. Quite suddenly Queen Susan caught her eye and she gasped, ducking. It would be no good meeting eyes with a royal.
Still bent over, she made her way across the crowd until she reached a small wooden door. This led to the servant’s quarters. She should have really come back after giving the Beavers the crowns, but she couldn’t help it. She had been mesmerised by the beautiful coronation and Aslan’s powerful voice.
‘I’m really going to get it this time,’ Kari thought worriedly as she found herself in a small corridor. The walls were made out of stone. She ran along the corridor and came to a door at the end of it.
She skidded to a stop, ignoring the stone floors scraping at her bare feet. She pushed open the door and walked in. A pale girl called Sarah came up to her.
“Where have you been?” she whispered urgently. “Victoria wanted you to clean the Kings’ and Queens’ rooms before the coronation is over!”
Kari groaned inwardly. “The coronation’s already over! They’re probably going to their rooms this second!”
At that moment a plump, severe looking woman bustled out of a room at the back. This was Victoria, the head female servant.
“Where have you been, you disobedient child?” she screamed at Kari. “You were supposed to come back after delivering the crowns!”
“I’m sorry!” Kari flinched, “I wanted to watch the coronation!”
“You are in no place to watch it! You are a servant! The lowliest of the low! Now go and clean up the Kings’ and Queens’ rooms!”
She thrust a duster and broom at the frightened girl and walked off. Wasting no time, Kari ran to the other side of the room where there was a small set of stairs. From here she could enter any part of the castle without being too much of a bother. She took them two at a time and ran along another corridor. This, unlike the one leading to the servant quarters, was decorated richly with portraits of previous Kings and Queens of Narnia.
Kari knew that the Kings’ rooms were on this corridor, while the Queens’ rooms were on the floor above. She decided to take King Edmund’s room first. Terrified at what she should do if he was inside, she knocked timidly at the oak door. There was no answer, so she pushed it open a crack and peered in. She breathed a sigh of relief; the room was empty.
She went in and started dusting off the furniture. After she had done that, she swept the floor even though it was already spotless and moved onto King Peter’s room. It smelt of fresh roses. She smiled serenely as she dusted an expensive looking vase on a small table. Bright sunlight came in through a large window, making her feel drowsy.
Her thoughts were penetrated by a smashing noise. She looked down in dismay and saw that in her contemplation, she had accidentally knocked the vase off the table. Moving quickly, she started picking up the jagged pieces, ignoring the cuts they gave her.
Blood fell from her hands and onto the clean carpet. It seeped its way through the fibres, leaving a big, ugly stain in its wake.
‘Great,’ she thought furiously, ‘Now King Peter’s going to think someone was murdered in his room!’
In her fury she did not notice the door opening softly. It was only when she had picked up all the pieces and stood up when she noticed King Peter staring at her curiously. He was still wearing the coronation cape and tunic, and the crown was still on his head. She promptly dropped the pieces again.
“Oh, forgive me, Your Majesty,” she said, hastily attempting to pick them up again. But her bloody hands kept slipping on the smooth porcelain, and the young King’s piercing blue eyes seemed to be going right through her. Finally, after what seemed like an age, she had them all in her hands.
She carefully backed out of the room, bowing again and again. When she was outside she ran for her life, trailing blood behind her. She could almost feel his eyes burning into her back. She was almost sobbing now. What if Victoria found out that she had broken King Peter’s vase? And even worse, having been caught while cleaning his room. What kind of a servant was she?
She froze as she was halfway down the stairs to the Queens’ rooms. She had left the duster and broom back in the room! She had no choice but to go back now. Dropping the pieces into a pocket in her shabby dress, she went back up the stairs and down the corridor to King Peter’s room.
She almost cried with relief and gratefulness when she saw they had been left outside the room. The door seemed to be locked. She picked them up quickly and went upstairs to the Queens’ rooms, hastily wiping her bleeding hands on her dress.
She went to Queen Susan’s room and knocked on the door gingerly.
“Come in,” said two voices.
She went inside and saw the two Queens perching on Queen Susan’s bed. “Forgive me for interrupting, Your Majesties, but I have been ordered to clean your rooms,”
“Thank you, you may do that now,” Queen Susan smiled. Kari decided that she liked her.
She quickly started dusting everything, careful to keep her hands hidden. Then she swept the floor and exited, bowing again. She went to Queen Lucy’s room and did the same before going down to the servant quarters. It was getting dark by now.
Kari went back down the small stone corridor and opened the wooden door. She went inside and closed it quietly behind her. All the servants- only about ten or twelve of them- were sleeping. Victoria had a tiny room to herself because she was the head. The male servants slept at the other side of the castle.
Someone had left her a plate of stale bread and cheese. It wasn’t much, but Kari devoured it, ravenous after a good day’s work. Then she went and lay down beside Sarah on the cold stone floor. Faint moonlight came in through one of the small square windows.
Kari closed her eyes and dozed off almost immediately.

CHAPTER 2

Duke Histhos of Gorgonia stormed into his private chamber, his bright red cape swishing behind him.
“I told you not to let the coronation go through!” he barked at a cloaked figure who sat by the crackling fire. His face was hidden by a hood. He raised his head, letting the hood fall back. The firelight illuminated a scarred face.
“Peace, Your Majesty. I have a better plan.”
King Histhos stared at the mysterious figure with something like fury on his face.
“You think your strategy could be any better than mine?”
“Mine can get rid of the High King without anyone suspecting you.”
“Carry on. I’m interested.”
“I can get one of the servants on our side. To get her to kill him.”
“Ah, I see what you mean. An inside job.” Duke Histhos looked impressed. “But what if she doesn’t want to do it?”
“We can bribe her with money. You shall need to help with that, of course,”
“How much will you need?”
“One hundred silver pieces.”
“It can be arranged. I hope you know what you are doing.”
“Trust me, Your Majesty. I shall leave immediately. I should reach Castle Cair Paravel tomorrow at noon.”

CHAPTER 3

Kari dipped one foot lazily into the water. She had completed all her chores and was sitting by the river bank, enjoying the sunlight and cool breeze. Narnia in summer was truly beautiful. She was sitting in the shade of a great oak tree, and its leaves rustled, sounding like a thousand whispers.
She heard the sound of hooves beating against the ground, and looked up. It looked like the royals were riding into the Western Wood. King Peter was riding on his white unicorn, which he had apparently ridden at the battle against the White Witch.
She sighed and turned her back on them. Then she felt a prickling sensation on the back of her neck and knew she was being watched. Cautiously, she turned around and caught sight of a shadowy figure lurking behind the tree. It seemed to be oddly misshapen.
“Who are you?” said Kari sharply. “Show yourself!”
The figure came out from the shade of the tree and Kari saw it was a man dressed in a black cloak. A hood covered most of his face.
“I have a deal for you, Kari,” he rasped without taking the hood off.
“How do you know my name?” asked Kari, jumping to her feet.
“I know everything. Now, about our deal,”
“I still haven’t agreed to any deal,” said Kari.
“Just listen to my words and maybe you will. What do you think of our new Kings and Queens?”
Kari shrugged. “I suppose they are okay. They did save Narnia from the White Witch after all.”
“Do you not feel the least bit bitter that they are so young, and yet they get all the riches in the world?”
Kari hesitated, and then remembered how kind Queen Susan had been, and how King Peter had left the broom and duster out for her.
“Not really,” she said, lying a little.
“I can pay you.” He said.
“How much?” she tried to sound casual.
“One hundred silver pieces.”
Kari’s heart almost stopped. That was enough for a lifetime supply of food for a poor servant girl, let alone a pair of decent shoes.
“So, what is this deal?” she asked, for she really was curious.
“To murder the High King.”
Kari froze. She was a true Narnian; she had been born and brought up here, even if it was as a servant in Castle Cair Paravel. She just couldn’t do it.
“I’m sorry,” she said quietly. “I can’t.”
The man’s eyes glinted dangerously from under his hood. He unearthed a dagger from his cloak and held it up so it glinted in the sunlight. It looked very sharp.
“Listen to me, little girl,” he hissed, “If you don’t do this job for me, I’ll have to kill you. You already know too much. We wouldn’t want you ratting out to the High King, would we?”
In one swift movement he held the dagger dangerously close to her throat. It was only a few inches away from her. She stared down at it, terrified. If she refused, she would get killed and this man would probably bribe one of the other servants to do it. They would accept, she knew. And if she went through with it….she shuddered at the thought of having to kill the High King of Narnia. But if she agreed maybe she could save King Peter in some way.
She hung her head, appalled at what she was assenting to. “I’ll do it,” she whispered.

CHAPTER 4

“Good,” said the man, looking pleased. “I’ll pay you once the job is done.”
Kari didn’t have to ask what he meant by the ‘job’. She tried to choke out that she didn’t want the money, but couldn’t. She just stood there hanging her head.
“I don’t even know your name,” she managed to splutter just as he was leaving.
“You don’t need to know that right now.” He said shortly, disappearing. “And don’t try anything funny- I’ll have people watching you.”
Kari gulped as he went away. Without pausing to think, she ran back to the castle, ignoring the twigs sticking into her feet. She was used to them. She slammed the door to the servant’s quarters open and went inside. Everyone was busy making lunch.
She collapsed in a quiet corner and buried her head in her hands. No-one noticed her.

It was a new moon that night. Everything was completely dark. Everyone except Kari was asleep. The stone floor felt cold and bitter against her skin. She tried shuffling into a more comfortable position, but only succeeded in making herself colder. Letting out an exasperated sigh, she sat up and leaned against the wall, musing over her life and what had happened that day.
So she was meant to murder the High King. So she was meant to betray her country. And if she didn’t a crazed lunatic would kill her.
‘Why does everything like this happen to me?’ she thought furiously. ‘Why not someone else? No, it always has to be Kari, the servant girl!’
The words seemed to echo inside her head. She groaned and rested her chin onto her knees, which were drawn up to her chest. Her whole life had been filled with confusion and sometimes misery. She didn’t know who her parents were. She didn’t know who she truly was.
She didn’t even look the least bit Narnian. She looked human. Everyone else was something magical, something Narnian.
She knew Victoria was part giant. And Sarah had some elven blood flowing through her- that was quite obvious by her slightly pointed ears. No-one knew what Kari was supposed to be. And so they had classed her as a Narnian who had the misfortune to look human.
Suddenly exhausted, Kari drifted into an uneasy sleep. She slipped in and out of different dreams, but one stood out vividly from the others:

She was walking along a dark corridor. Faint moonlight coming in from the square windows showed that it was night time. She suddenly came to a door and opened it. She went in and realised it was the High King’s bedroom. She walked to his bed and looked at him. He was sleeping with his mouth slightly open, his golden hair spread out over the pillow. Suddenly she found that she had a dagger in her hand. The cloaked figure that had approached her by the river appeared.
“Do it!” he hissed menacingly.
She willed herself not to do it, but her body betrayed her. An invisible force lifted her arm into the air and brought the dagger down onto the High King’s Chest.
Kari screamed.

Thanks for all your support you guys, I really appreciate it :D

I'm almost finished writing Chapter 5. It should be up soon!

Okay, here's Chapter 5. In my opinion it's rather lame, but anyway, here it is:

CHAPTER 5

Someone was yelling Kari’s name, but it sounded distant. She jolted awake, drenched in sweat. Sarah was kneeling over her, peering at her anxiously.
“You were dreaming,” said Sarah when she saw Kari’s confused look. “I couldn’t hear what you were saying exactly, but it was something about murder and the High King.”
“Er, yes, I was dreaming that I had to….murder a sheep for the High King’s dinner.” The words sounded idiotic, even in Kari’s head.
“Oh. Listen Kari, the High King is coming down to the servant’s quarters. I don’t know why, but Victoria wants everything to be spotless.”
Rubbing the sleep out of her eyes, Kari got up and started washing the dishes that had been used the day before.
Her heart was hammering inside her ribcage- why did the High King want to visit the servant’s quarters? She began to panic. Could he have somehow found out about the conversation between her and the mysterious cloaked figure?
‘No, that can’t be it,’ she tried to reassure herself.
Suddenly she heard a commotion and knew that the High King would soon arrive. All the servants stood in a line by the door and waited. Victoria herself was at the head of the line. She looked nervous; it was rather evident by the way she was twisting her apron around in her hands.
Wiping her wet hands on a cloth, Kari hurriedly joined the end of the line. The atmosphere was tense- no-one had ever actually met the High King. Some of the servants had never seen him.
Then the door burst open and two guards came in and stood at either side of it. Kari almost stopped breathing when, with a swish of his cape, King Peter entered the servant’s quarters.
Automatically, everyone curtseyed and then stood with their heads bowed.
“Your Majesty,” murmured Victoria.
“You may rise,” said King Peter. His voice was soft, yet oddly commanding.
The servants obediently lifted their heads, though no-one dared to look directly at the High King.
From the end of the line, Kari quickly glanced up at him. He was wearing a deep red tunic with a slightly darker cape, and leather boots. The crown was on his head- Kari assumed that he had to wear it permanently, except at night.
There was an awkward pause and then he spoke again, “You may be wondering why I am here. I assure you that it is for a good reason.” His clear blue eyes slowly scanned the line of servants and came to rest upon Kari. He gave no sign that he had seen her before, and continued, “Firstly, I have ordered some of the best tailors in Narnia to make better clothes for all the servants at Cair Paravel. They should arrive in a few days’ time.”
A ripple of excitement went through the line, and then everyone fell silent once more as the High King looked at Victoria.
“I have heard that the servants are not treated very well. I would like that to change.”
“Yes, Your Majesty.” Replied Victoria, going red.
“Secondly, my sister, Queen Susan, has requested me for a maid to assist her with her daily duties. The maid will stay in a small room close to Queen Susan’s, in case she is needed. I was wondering if there are any volunteers.”
This time all the servants- including Victoria- forgot their manners and began chattering. Kari remained silent and drew back slightly, feeling doubtful. Should she volunteer? King Peter had said that the maid would stay in a room close to Queen Susan’s- that had to mean on the same floor. And the Kings’ rooms were just on the floor below- getting the ‘job’ done would be easier then.
Drawing a deep breath, she took a step forward and said, “I would be honoured to assist the Queen, Your Majesty,”
Her voice came out as a squeak. The room fell silent as all the servants turned to gape at her. It was very unlike Kari to speak up. The High King cast his serious eyes towards her, taking in her tattered clothes and bare feet.
“What is your name?” he asked gently, almost as if she were an equal and not a servant while he was a King.
In spite of herself, Kari felt a small pang of annoyance. It was quite obvious that he was only being nice to her because he felt pity for her.
“Kari, Your Majesty.” She said rather shortly.
“Well then Kari, please follow me to the Queen’s bedroom so that you may introduce yourself,”
Kari bowed again and went out of the room behind the King, ignoring the amazed eyes following her. The guards left their posts at the door and walked either side of the High King.
With a last look behind her, Kari walked out of the servant’s quarters.

So glad you are writing this story again, and so glad nobody killed Peter! welcome back, good work.
:)

Thank you *bows* Thanks to ALL you guys to your wonderful support, if it wasn't for you I probably would have abandoned this by now.

Chapter 6 will come as soon as I write it :D Please don't delete it if I take ages to update- sometimes I get writer's block really bad.

Thanks again

~Princey

So which bit has been your favourite so far? I'd have to say mine was when Kari smashed the vase in Peter's room and he finds her trying to pick up the pieces :D

princey said:
So which bit has been your favourite so far? I'd have to say mine was when Kari smashed the vase in Peter's room and he finds her trying to pick up the pieces :D

i loved all the parts..but i loved that part the best. the part when she goes into everyones room

Back