The Marketplace of Technique: Open to All

Returning to rhyme:

There are even THREE-syllable rhymes. They fit rhythmically in any meter which would use masculine rhymes. Again, one may be forced to settle for near-rhymes. Here are some examples:

Aerial, Ariel, arable, (un)bearable, cerebral, hair to pull, mare and bull, parable, share a stool, terrible, there's a bull, unwary fool, wearable, wearing wool.

Blubbering, blundering, covering, coveting, governing, hovering, muttering, rubber thing, shuddering, suffering, sundering, thundering, wondering.

I know what you mean about coming up with ideas for scenes. I do that all the time. :D You shouldn't be afraid to share your work... as long as you are prepared, meaning that you don't expect just ALL positive feedback. (There are some people out there who get very offended by the tiniest piece of criticism.)

And there are some people here also that just because they say: "I want to hear your opinion" it does not mean they REALLY want to hear your opinion. Basically what that means is "I want you to agree with me" or "Tell me what I want to hear."

But back to the topic of poetry. What if I can't (for the life of me) count syllables in a word? I mean, some words I have no clue where to break them into syllables, but when I put them in a line, and then add two or three more lines to make a verse, and they sound like they have a rhythm and rhyme, is that good enough?

Although I myself try to be very precise with rhythm, the truth is that most audiences won't mind a bit if your syllable counts are a little bit irregular.

Actively, backing me, battery, calamity, calorie, canopy, factory, factually, gallery, gave his hat to me, half of me, Jack and me, JANALEE, laugh at me, Mallory, naturally, passively, ran at me, rapidly, sanity, savagely, snap at me, tactfully, whack at me.

Iodine asenine calamine! :D

I was hinting around with Copperfox that I'm going to write an epic poem called "Natura" that is about a year in the life of a natural area, and all the characters (handled in traditional heroic stanzas) would be forces of nature and changes in the environment.

Mr. Badger, sir, you have to be very skillful to pull that one off. If I were to attempt it, people would either die laughing, fall asleep or go insane. I could never do it.

Ok... with the help of Copperfox (or Papa Joe, I can now call him :D) and my handy-dandy thesaurus... I've come up with a poem expressing how I'm feeling right now...

Instead of clouds and weather so fair
I got bad winds and some cold air
And now, instead of going somewhere
I'm stuck at home going no where.

I looked forward to going with much anticipation
But now, my unpleasant disposition
Is saddening, and I'm in need of consolation
Because of my sorry situation.

Well... how was it? It might not flow as well as it should... but it's what hit me in the past half an hour.

Again, including near-rhymes:

Atonement, bowman, Coleman, Conan, foeman, foment, groanin', moment, no vent, omen, open, portent, ronin, Rowan, seratonin, Woden.

six words hmm?
the poem we read used

Grandmother , Child, Stove, Tears and Almanac....

i'm going to say

Aslan, Lucy, Sword, Cordial, Love and Wadrobe.

Orange, here it is!

The Second Person of the Godhead, alias Aslan,
Source of the valor of the valiant Queen Lucy,
Did not plan for her to be famed for the sword,
But for that which is represented by her cordial:
The healing of harms, and advancement of love;
It was for such ends that she entered the Wardrobe.

The first soul she met upon passing the Wardrobe
Was needy indeed, having lost faith in Aslan.
Faun Tumnus needed the friendship and love
Of the vulnerable, innocent child called Lucy.
Thus, before she heard of the fireflower cordial,
She saved him by piercing him with her moral sword.

His heart was as truly pierced as with a real sword,
As the trusting, purehearted girl from the Wardrobe,
The one who would later possess that rare cordial,
Awakened his conscience, as planned by Aslan.
From serving the Witch, he was led by Lucy
To honor--from evil, to courage and love.

This Faun, whom Queen Lucy would always love,
Was himself meant for other deeds than bearing sword.
He became an advisor to valiant Queen Lucy,
And to the others who had come through the Wardrobe.
When the four were sent back to their world by Aslan,
Tumnus never forgot the Queen with the cordial.

Lucy Pevensie might well have wished for that cordial,
As a way to have shown fellow humans her love
When they suffered on Earth; but the will of Aslan
Cut off the way to Narnia, as if a sword
Had hacked apart the magical Wardrobe;
Thus imprisoned by Earthly conditions was Lucy.

But there were to be new times in Narnia for Lucy,
And even the chance again to use her cordial.
Though not again transported by the Wardrobe,
She would find other Narnians whom she could love,
Including, of course, a bold mouse with a sword,
Who needed to learn some humility from Aslan.

More charmed than the Wardrobe, the heart of Lucy,
Intimate with Aslan, distilled its own cordial,
In the form of gallant love, stronger than the sword.

Last edited:
Back