The story of the lost

xeroxia

This is the first part of the first chapter of a story I am writing! :)

It had been a quiet day on the Forest Island, after a feeling of dread had circled the little village, no one had dared to leave the clearing in which they lived. And then he came. Nobody knew his name, or where he came from, he just stumbled into their village, and into their lives. He wore a brown cloak, it would have reached down past his knees, had it not been torn horribly and frayed, He also wore a brown tunic, which was also ripped and stained with blood. His hair was a matted mess of three colours: brown, blonde, and blood red. Blood poured down his face from an unseen wound, and he seemed to walk with a limp.
Princess Fael was sitting in the huge palace that her father owned. She was struggling to keep an interested look on her face as her maid droned on about seagulls, or something.
“I do not care!” She snapped eventually, avoiding the hurt look on her devoted maid, she slipped outside. The fresh air felt good on her face, she had not been able to get out here for the whole day. She knew other girls wished they were princesses, but they just did not understand the amount of boring meetings that Fael had to attend. The meetings could at least cover something more interesting, like battle tactics, but no such war was going on, so Fael often found herself dropping to sleep.
Fael knew she must not leave the clearing, but something about the air today felt wrong, she walked along, looking curiously around for the source of the odd disturbance. It was then that she bumped right into him.
“I’m ever so sorry.” Fael gasped, before she even looked at him, she looked up to see who it was. “Er, excuse me.” She said, confused. “Who are you?” Fael would not have cared about this stranger so much, if she did not know everyone in the village, and this messy boy was certainly not from this village. The boy looked at her, dumbfounded. Maybe he does not speak my language Fael thought to herself.
“I don’t know.” His voice was barely more then a whisper.
“You don’t know what?” Fael asked, studying this odd person.
“I don’t know who I am.” Answered the boy.
“Oh.” Fael was embarrassed. “Come inside, let’s get you cleaned up.” Fael beckoned the boy to follow her. He stayed where he was. Eventually, Fael took the boy by his fragile feeling hand, and led him towards the palace.
Betty, Fael’s maid, was standing in the palace doorway. She saw Fael approaching, but her attention was grabbed by the boy that she was leading.
“A mess of a boy to be sure.” She sighed to herself, fighting to keep the look of disapproval from her features. As Fael drew closer, Betty noticed bloodstains covering the boy’s torn outfit.
“Betty, fetch Melissa quickly, tell her it’s an emergency.” The urgent look on Fael’s face sent the maid running in the direction of the hairdresser, who Fael had so rudely addressed by name.
“Just sit here.” Fael said kindly, pulling up a comfortable looking chair for the boy to sit on. When Betty returned, she had not only brought the hairdresser, but the nurse and tailor as well. Melissa smiled kindly at Fael, but when she noticed the boy, she began tutting loudly.
“Can you help him?” Fael asked worriedly.
“Oh, I can help him,” Laughed Melissa “But I’m afraid his hair will keep staining red due to that nasty looking cut he has there.” She pointed at a gaping wound not far above the boy’s left eyebrow.
“I can fix that.” Anne, the nurse, stepped forward carrying a roll of bandages and a sticky white substance, which she plastered on the boy’s head, before arranging the bandage.
Fael soon had to leave for a lesson in ancient runes, the three people that Betty had fetched continued working, until Fael returned. Her face froze, her eyes were wide and staring, a different boy sat in the chair. He had several bandages wrapped around him, but they were well hidden by his hair and costume. His hair, no longer matted, hung about his shoulders. It was light blonde, but the tips of it were a chestnut brown. He wore a green tunic, and a brown cloak. Neither item was stained or tattered. He smiled at Fael.
“What do you think?” He croaked.
“Wow.” Fael replied, still stunned.
“Fael dear, it’s rude to stare.” Betty reminded Fael of her gaping eyes.
“Well done.” Fael congratulated the workers. The boy could not stop grinning at Fael’s astonished face. Well, at least he is happy. Fael thought to herself, insulted by his teasing look.
“Fael, can I talk to you for a second?” Without waiting for a reply, Betty quickly led the princess aside.
“What is it?” Fael was surprised at her urgency. “Is there something wrong?” Betty shook her head sadly.
“Not with me, my lady, is the boy that worries me.” Fael was surprised.
“Why? What’s he done?” Betty sighed deeply, focusing on her tattered shoes.
“It’s probably nothing, it’s just… Well ‘e said some stuff.”
“Like?”
“Well, ya see, Melissa asked ‘im where ‘e was from, all kind like, and ‘e said ‘e didn’t know. Den I asked ‘im ‘ow ‘e got ‘ere if ‘e didn’t know where ‘e was from. ‘Is eyes all glazed over like, and ‘e said that ‘e ad come after the crashes. Now me Melissa, Anne and Donald were all getting worried like. ‘en Anne asked ‘im ‘ow ‘e got ‘ere again. And this was the weirdest ‘ing of all, ‘e said ‘e sailed.”
“But that’s impossible.” Fael exclaimed. “There is no land for at least 300 miles, how could he have sailed?” Betty shook her head and sighed deeply again.
“ ‘At’s what I said.”
Fael headed back out to the boy, to see that the hairdresser, nurse and tailor had disappeared. She was not at all shocked by this, but she was shocked, by the boy. He had his head in his hands, and he was making weird moaning noises, from between his hand’s dripped water. He was crying. Fael turned to see that Betty had not followed her out. She tiptoed over to the boy, and knelt beside him silently, then she just watched him.
After what seemed like an eternity, the boy looked up. He was shocked, embarrassed and angry when he saw Fael had been watching him. The anger seemed to take control. He stood up ad looked down on Fael, his eyes blazing.
“Why have you been spying on me?” He was shouting, but his voice was about the same loudness of Fael’s normally.
“I’m sorry.” Fael whispered her voice the same as his normal one. Suddenly he burst out laughing. He had such a nice laugh; it was almost a lullaby, and Fael could feel her eyes drooping just listening to it.
“We have swapped voices.” He managed to say through fits of giggles. His eyes shone brightly now, and there were no signs on his face that he had been crying.
“I’m sorry I got angry with you.” He said at last. “I just had not known anyone was watching me.”
“Why were you crying?” Asked Fael quietly, afraid that he would get angry again. But he just seemed to shrug.
“Do you know who you are?” He asked suddenly.
“Why yes.” Fael was surprised at the question. “My name is Princess Fael, my dad rules this place.”
“I don’t” The boy said sadly. “I wish I knew who I was.” But then he looked at Fael, a mischievous glint passing across his eyes.
“Your dad owns this place? That means we can do whatever we want.” The same mischievous look came across Fael’s face.
“Indeed.” She replied. “Anything.”
As Fael pulled on he suede boots, Betty entered her bedroom.
“Going out are we, my lady?” She asked seeing her. Fael grinned.

And this is the second part of the same chapter!​

“Boy and I are going to build a raft and sail downriver.” It was already late in the day, but Fael was determined.
“Watch you don’t leave the clearing.” She warned, “I don’t know what’ll get you if you do.” Fael nodded and headed for the door.
“Oh Betty.” She said disappointedly, “I cannot go, boy has nothing to wear on his feet.”
“He’s your age.” Shrugged the maid. “Can’t he borrow some of yours?” Fael turned and grabbed a random pair of shoes, before hurrying off.
“Have fun.” Betty called after her.
“I will.” Fael called back.
Boy was waiting on the steps, when Fael came out he gasped in horror.
“I can’t where those.” He gestured at the shoes that Fael was carrying.
“Why not?” Fael asked
“Because they’re pink!” Spat Boy, “And they have bows and ribbon on them. Those are girl shoes, I don’t wear girl shoes.”
“Grow up.” Fael replied as she handed him the shoes. He shied away from them. Fael took his foot, and forced it into the pretty shoe, ignoring his grunts of displeasure.
“Get off me.” He cried attempting to kick her away.
“No.” She quickly secured the other foot into the last shoe. “It serves you right for laughing at me earlier.” She watched him staring at his feet in dismay. “Besides, they suit you.” Giggling, Fael dodged the swinging fist and ran off in the direction of the lake. Boy followed close behind, he was limping as he ran, but he was laughing. They ducked under low hanging branches and leapt over inconvenient roots.
“I thought this was a clearing.” He called after her. “It is.” She replied, as she slowed down by the lake.
The lake was massive, it’s calm waters reflecting the blue of the sky.
“It’s so clear,” Gasped boy, Fael had already taken off her boots and was holding up her long dress.
“I want to go for a paddle.” She told him, “Would you mind collecting wood for the raft?” She looked at him, her eyes twinkling. Boy groaned loudly, he had hoped to go for a paddle too, more to get his shoes off then anything else, but he could not deny the twinkle in Fael’s eyes, so moaning loudly he went off to find raft wood. The ground was soft due to layers of moss, there were enough trees, even in the clearing, and enough dead ones too. After a while, he found a suitable small dead tree which he proceeded to roll back in the direction he had come. I hope Fael has a knife. He thought. He carried on rolling the tree, not caring for his impressive surroundings. Soon he could hear the trickle of water, it soon became a great roar.
“I must be near the lake.” He told himself. But when he finally looked up, he stopped abruptly. He was standing on the edge of a giant waterfall, down below him he saw the water viciously attacking the sturdy rocks, which had been worn into the shape of a bowl. This waterfall was indeed part of the lake, but which part? Was the lake further upstream, or had he come too far? Suddenly he was very worried.
“Fael.” He called out silently, of course there was no answer. His head had begun to hurt again. His mind was swimming and he felt sick. He could feel droplets of water stinging his eyes, then pouring down his pale face. He was hurt, alone, and lost. He sat down heavily on the floor, and wrapped his arms around his curled up knees. He let his head roll forwards and fell into fits of tears.
“Why are you crying little girl?” The voice was gentle, but slightly croaky.
“I’m not a girl,” He was insulted, but he did not look up.
“I’m sorry,” The voice replied. “It’s just I saw the shoes and…”
“And boy’s don’t cry.” Boy finished.
“Yes,” The voice muttered.
“Well you would be crying if you were me.” Boy said angrily, “I don’t know where, or who I am, I’ve lost everything, I feel sick and I’m all alone.”
“Look at me.” Bewildered boy looked up to see the speaker, it was an odd creature, something Boy had never seen before. It was like a man, but it was not. It was a man from the waist up, but below that, it was a horse. Boy thought it looked rather silly, but he was polite enough not to laugh.
“I am a centaur.” It told him. “The centaur in fact, because I am the last one. We used to live in these woods, quietly and peacefully with the clearing people. We were part of the land, we stayed from monarch to monarch. The people of the clearing barely notice us, we did not mind because it meant that they did not bother us. But about seventy-five years ago, was the rise of King Teah. King Teah had wondered the woods as a boy, and he knew much about us, but that is not to say he liked us. In fact he hated us, of all the power hungry kings I’ve ever seen, he was the worst. He believed the rest of the island was his, and that we were outcasts with no right to live here. He wanted us dead, then he could clear the forest and use the wood for weapons. So he sent out an army, all the men and some of the women from the clearing were forced to fight us. I myself was in battle with the strongest man in the village, but during the fight, he whispered to me.
‘Run,’ he said ‘I will follow, but I will let you get away.’ I did not need to be told twice, I was away with him in pursuit. Soon enough I had to stop from exhaustion, he was close behind, but when he saw I had stopped he walked over to me. He bandaged my wound, and warned me that if I ever went to close to the clearing, King Teah would get me. This is the closest I can be, although the old king is dead, the population of the village would kill me, if they didn’t they would feel that they would be cursed by the spirit of King Teah. You think yourself alone, but you are surrounded by your own species, there is not one of my kind left, so you are lucky.” The Boy was moved by the centaur’s story.
“My friend is the king’s daughter, I think she could help you.” The centaur shook his head.
“I cannot enter the clearing, and I doubt she has permission to leave.” The Boy shrugged
“Maybe an in between place then.” The centaur nodded slowly.
“Would you like me to help you find your way back to where you were?” He asked. An odd look came over the Boy’s face, he had forgotten about that. The centaur lifted up the small tree effortlessly and began to lead the way back to the clearing.
“How will I find you again?” Boy asked as he and the centaur stood on the edge of the clearing, Boy could see the great lake through the gaps in the trees, now a deeper blue due to the coming of night.
“I will stay here, for however long you need. Be it hours or months, I will not move.” The centaur told him. Boy nodded and began to head towards the lake.
“Goodbye.” He called over his shoulder.
“Bye.” The centaur shouted back.
Boy could see Fael paddling not far from where he was, he strode up to her, rolling the tree in front of him.
“Where were you, you’ve been ages?” Fael said as he approached.
“I’ll explain later.” He told her, looking worriedly at the other people on the lakeside. Fael drew a small dagger out from her belt, and proceeded to chop the tree into strips. The wood was strong, but Fael was a fast worker, and soon they had the right shaped lumps of wood for the raft. Fael took some rope from her pocket and handed it to Boy.
“Use this to bind the wood together.” She told him, “I’m going to have a rest.” She lay down on the springy moss. Boy arranged the planks of wood into a rectangular shape, and began to wrap the rope around them.
Boy smiled happily at the finished raft.
“Fael,” He said, “I’ve finished.” The green haired girl looked up.
“Great, let’s try it out shall we.” She took it and tossed it into the lake, it floated well, but Fael had thrown it too far.
“Oops, I hope you don’t mind swimming out to that.” Boy smiled, but shook his head.
“I can’t get my bandages wet, remember?”
“Oh.” Fael sounded disappointed, she took a large stick, and proceeded to pull it in. “After you.” She said once it had reached the shore. Hesitantly Boy climbed on satisfied that it was safe, Fael followed. She still had the big stick, and she used it to push them away. As they charged downstream, Fael began to sing. She sung quietly, Boy recognised it as one of the songs of old, and soon joined in. Suddenly Fael stopped.
“We’re going to have to camp outside tonight.” She told Boy. “I hope you don’t mind.” Boy shook his head.
“I would be happy to camp out here.” He replied, “But do we not need a shelter?”
“No problem, I can make one.” And they carried on down the river, at a fast speed. Boy clung to the side of the raft, laughing as the spray hit his face, it was night, and it was getting cold, but neither boy nor Fael showed any objection to travelling further.
Finally, drenched to the skin, the current faded away and Fael and Boy were left floating aimlessly on the open stream.
“I thought you couldn’t get your bandages wet?” Fael gasped when she noticed Boy. Her tone questioned him in a playfully suspicious manner, but there was concern in her eyes. “Will you be ok?” Boy laughed,
“Well, I needed some excuse not to wade into the water!” He grinned “I’m sorry Fael, let’s set up camp now.” Fael smiled.

Here is the start of chapter 2!

Boy awoke, his back and neck hurt from sleeping on the bare floor, and the sleep that should have healed him had made him worse. He had dreamt of the centaur. He had so many doubts now, he thought that his life could not get any worse, and then the centaurs story... it seemed to awaken something deep inside him... a distant memory. He brushed the feeling aside, he could smell fire. Struggling to support himself, he clambered out of the tent.

Chapter 2... continued!

"What's wrong I could smell burning!" He exclaimed as he saw Fael sitting with her back to him. Fael laughed.
"It's the campfire, silly. I was making breakfast!" Boy looked down, embarrased.
"So... what is for breakfast?" He asked anxiously trying to hide his embarrasment, "I thought we hadn't brought any food."
"Well you thought wrong." Fael replied, she was holding a large chunk of meat in one hand, and several slices of bread in the other.
"Oh, can I help with anything?" Boy replied nervously.
"Yes." Fael replied shortly, handing him a cooking pot. "Take this down to the river and fill it with water... and while your there, you might want to do something about the smell." Boy took the pot and walked away, he was puzzled Fael seemed to be very short and snappy with him, had he done something wrong? He couldn't think of anything that he could have send that would have offended her. Nevertheless he filled the cooking pot and returned to the tent.

Chapter 2 continued continued!
As boy was returining to the tent, Fael looked up and walked towards him.
"If you hate me so much why didn't you say before?" She looked like she had been crying.
"I don't hate you." Stammered boy, "What made you think that I did?" Fael laughed sarcasticlly.
"Oh, like I'm going to believe that, I heard you last night, when you thought I was sleeping. You were chatting away quite happily, to whoever else there was in there. 'I hate the forest island, the people who run it are such idiots and I hate them.' That's what you said, I heard it very clearly. Well, if you hate it so much you can leave, go now! I order you to leave this island. Go home. Oh I forgot you don't have a home, go float instead!" Boy was confused. He thought that at least he would remember that, but he didn't. There had been no-one in his tent the night before. But Fael said that...
Boy looked at his hands startled to see blood running from two cuts on the side, his knees were grazed and there were grass stains on his tunic.
"Where was I?" He asked himself aloud.

Chapter 2 continued continued continued!
"You went somewhere too?" Fael was fuming, as she turned to the confused boy. "And you didn't invite me to go with you? Right, so you are talking about me and my family behind my back, and going off into the night without saying a word to me?" She opened the tent with considerable force, so much in fact, that a large rip appeared in the delicate fabric.
"I thought I told you, go float!" She stormed inside the tent leavng boy, confused and alone, and still holding a tub of water.

Back