Voyage on DVD

Did my duty as a fan and picked up VOTDT on DVD this past Friday. Typically I'm one to wait as much as 6mo to a year to get a movie I want as the price can drop by as much as 1/3 from even the "introductory 1st week" price. However, cause I know they(Fox) are going to be really watching the numbers for the first week sales and first month I wanted to part of the figures that help Fox fully say, lets do another Narnia film!!!

Anyone know why the release was on Friday vs the typical Tuesday when new DVD's are released?

I typically do the same - wait until the price drops to the $12.00 range. However, caught a decent sale at Best Buy, and got it for right around $16.00. I'm willing to drop an extra $4 to help the sales numbers.

Did my duty as a fan and picked up VOTDT on DVD this past Friday. Typically I'm one to wait as much as 6mo to a year to get a movie I want as the price can drop by as much as 1/3 from even the "introductory 1st week" price. However, cause I know they(Fox) are going to be really watching the numbers for the first week sales and first month I wanted to part of the figures that help Fox fully say, lets do another Narnia film!!!

Anyone know why the release was on Friday vs the typical Tuesday when new DVD's are released?

I believe it has to do with Easter sales, most DVD's released on a friday have 'Makes a great Easter Basket filler!' sticker, just like last week Universal re-released (AKA reprinted) several Family/children's titles in Easter wrapping for Walmart stores (Balto, American Tale, the Beethoven films. etc.)

Ahh I can't wait to get it! It should be in today :) though I am annoyed it took Amazon longer than expected to ship it because I had to change my **** credit card #..grr...but I'm going to watch it as soon as I get it. I ordered the 2 disc DVD version. What are the special features for that one, does anyone know?

Marissa

I frankly enjoyed VODT better on DVD than in theaters. I wast very critical of the film when I saw in theaters, but upon a second viewing it has quickly become my favorite of the adaptions. :)

I frankly enjoyed VODT better on DVD than in theaters. I wast very critical of the film when I saw in theaters, but upon a second viewing it has quickly become my favorite of the adaptions. :)

I hope it is the same for me as well, but I have a feeling those plot holes are going to bother me. I just got it this morning in the mail, and it is a very nice package, indeed reminds me of something Disney would have done.

I hope it is the same for me as well, but I have a feeling those plot holes are going to bother me. I just got it this morning in the mail, and it is a very nice package, indeed reminds me of something Disney would have done.

I think if you can let purist part of yourself relax and appreciate film for what it tis, you'll enjoy it all the more. I'm a purist, but I tend to shrieve the filmmakers for changes they make to the adaption. After all, they are depicting how they saw the tale, what their imagination conjured. Also, they must make slight or sometimes radical changes to keep it compelling for audiances who aren't familar with the Chronicles. Granted, they must be aware they should not estrange us purists by changing major plot elements lest they envoke our wrath, but I think VODT was quite excellent. Certainly there were few additions such as the Seven Swords and Gale. However, I didn' think these were too detering to the overall plot.

I am frankly thankful they refrained from completely botching a character's personality. For example, Edmund does become rather like Peter on Dragon Island, however it last but moment. In PC Pete was pompus and arrgorant tell the Duel with Miraz. I frankly, couldn't stand him. Ed on the other hand was tolerable. I particularly liked the addition plot line of each member of Dawn Treader being tested by the Darkness of Dark Island. I especially like Lucy's Test. Aslan: "You've forgotten your value." :)

My mom and sister surprised me with the blue-ray VODT as a late birthday present :D
And Sir Godfrey the only reason Ed was like that on dragon island was because it had somehow enchanted him and Caspian, so I really like that scene because you see a glimpse of the old Edmund before he met Aslan.

I think if you can let purist part of yourself relax and appreciate film for what it tis, you'll enjoy it all the more. I'm a purist, but I tend to shrieve the filmmakers for changes they make to the adaption. After all, they are depicting how they saw the tale, what their imagination conjured. Also, they must make slight or sometimes radical changes to keep it compelling for audiances who aren't familar with the Chronicles. Granted, they must be aware they should not estrange us purists by changing major plot elements lest they envoke our wrath, but I think VODT was quite excellent. Certainly there were few additions such as the Seven Swords and Gale. However, I didn' think these were too detering to the overall plot.

I am frankly thankful they refrained from completely botching a character's personality. For example, Edmund does become rather like Peter on Dragon Island, however it last but moment. In PC Pete was pompus and arrgorant tell the Duel with Miraz. I frankly, couldn't stand him. Ed on the other hand was tolerable. I particularly liked the addition plot line of each member of Dawn Treader being tested by the Darkness of Dark Island. I especially like Lucy's Test. Aslan: "You've forgotten your value." :)

True, I'll try to see it that way. It didn't bother me in theaters until my second viewing. I do like Lucy's trial though. I Wish they would have made it a bit more uncomfortable for her- for the squirm factor.

I guess we can count on the News page to update us with how well VOTDT performed on DVD the first week/month?
Then how, if at all, it nudged Fox in the right direction. Walden may say they are moving on but I want something from FOX on that also.

I finally got in the dvd...Walmart is not on my good side because they never can seem to get my orders to me within the days posted. Complained to them about it too, but anyway, my parents and I re-watched it last night...and I was really hoping my mind would be changed about it, but after they landed in Narrowhaven, I kept finding myself rolling my eyes in disgust.

I do still like the first 15 minutes, I think they captured the beginning of the book perfectly. And the Reep/Eustace duel is one of my favorite scenes, along with Eustace's scenes in general. On that note, I do believe they got it right. And aside from the ending scenes with Aslan, I could do without the entire movie. I watched the deleted scenes, and I kind of wish they had been left in (except for the mutiny scene and the Caspian/Edmund scene with the swords) because the other scenes seemed to be from the book. I also noticed a contradiction...but I can't remember what it was. I know that one of the contradictions I noticed was with Tony Nixon's character, who I could have sworn was supposed to be Rynelf, but he is referred to as Rhince (he's credited in the movie as "1st Mate", another mistake, since how did he all of a sudden become 1st mate to Drinian?!). Any thoughts on that, or was I just seeing his character name wrong in news articles? I'm still extremely bothered by the green mist plot, and by the watered down version of Eustace's redemption. I know that maybe they couldn't have shown Aslan physically tearing off his skin but...there's nothing special in how EUstace is changed back into a boy.

I finally got in the dvd...Walmart is not on my good side because they never can seem to get my orders to me within the days posted. Complained to them about it too, but anyway, my parents and I re-watched it last night...and I was really hoping my mind would be changed about it, but after they landed in Narrowhaven, I kept finding myself rolling my eyes in disgust.

I do still like the first 15 minutes, I think they captured the beginning of the book perfectly. And the Reep/Eustace duel is one of my favorite scenes, along with Eustace's scenes in general. On that note, I do believe they got it right. And aside from the ending scenes with Aslan, I could do without the entire movie. I watched the deleted scenes, and I kind of wish they had been left in (except for the mutiny scene and the Caspian/Edmund scene with the swords) because the other scenes seemed to be from the book. I also noticed a contradiction...but I can't remember what it was. I know that one of the contradictions I noticed was with Tony Nixon's character, who I could have sworn was supposed to be Rynelf, but he is referred to as Rhince (he's credited in the movie as "1st Mate", another mistake, since how did he all of a sudden become 1st mate to Drinian?!). Any thoughts on that, or was I just seeing his character name wrong in news articles? I'm still extremely bothered by the green mist plot, and by the watered down version of Eustace's redemption. I know that maybe they couldn't have shown Aslan physically tearing off his skin but...there's nothing special in how EUstace is changed back into a boy.
I agree. The first 15 minutes are great, but the it starts to fall a bit apart. The movie fails several times to explain things. Why are the Pevs. called back? (I know why in the book, but the film just goes with it), Why did Aslan give Telmarians swords? Aren't they the enemy? Why was the Lord on the first island jailed? Why do they sacrifice people to the mist? What happens to them? What is the purpose of the mist but to tempt? Origin of mist? Lucy doesn't like what her brothers say in her dream and suddenly she has a change of heart? It goes on...
ANYWAY.... I did like the Aslan's Country bit, and Eustace's redemption was powerful enough to make me cry (both did actually). I just wish it had a better story structure.

I agree. The first 15 minutes are great, but the it starts to fall a bit apart. The movie fails several times to explain things. Why are the Pevs. called back? (I know why in the book, but the film just goes with it), Why did Aslan give Telmarians swords? Aren't they the enemy? Why was the Lord on the first island jailed? Why do they sacrifice people to the mist? What happens to them? What is the purpose of the mist but to tempt? Origin of mist? Lucy doesn't like what her brothers say in her dream and suddenly she has a change of heart? It goes on...
ANYWAY.... I did like the Aslan's Country bit, and Eustace's redemption was powerful enough to make me cry (both did actually). I just wish it had a better story structure.

Right, and I had to explain to both my parents what the "stone knife" was because they left out that explanation...they also forgot to put in the true intentions of characters. First of all, Caspian's whole mission was to find the lost lords and avenge them if possible, not to find their swords, which after Narrowhaven, became the purpose of the voyage. He and the others became focused solely on the objects, not the people, they had come to find. Also, Eustace becoming a dragon wasn't really explained either;

Right, and I had to explain to both my parents what the "stone knife" was because they left out that explanation...they also forgot to put in the true intentions of characters. First of all, Caspian's whole mission was to find the lost lords and avenge them if possible, not to find their swords, which after Narrowhaven, became the purpose of the voyage. He and the others became focused solely on the objects, not the people, they had come to find. Also, Eustace becoming a dragon wasn't really explained either;
Yes and the lack of Character Development makes the ending ring hallow. I do not believe for once that Caspian feels like a good king, because this 'lack of confidence' is not apparent through out the movie and we don't see the growth. Lucy's feels like one of the best (excluding Eustace)the best, but it still feels forced at times and the whole 'you want to grow up to be yourself' part rings cheesy because the stowaway girl is barely there in the film at all. Edmond, feels the same through out the film. He was the mildly-PC Peter feel when he gave that one command, but otherwise he seems unchanged.

Back