Voyage on DVD

I too was a little disappointed with that, because I like having both disc in one case. I got the regular standard dvd, because I only have a portable dvd player. It said it was supposed to be widescreen, but when I played it on the dvd player it looked more full screen. That has happened with dvds I've gotten before where they are widescreen and look wide on one player, but fullscreen on the other.

I watched the movie yesterday, but I haven't seen the bonus features yet.I will probably check them out this afternoon. The blu-ray/dvd combo set looks amazing!

On most portable DVD players zoom the image to get ride of the black bars, so you can see the picture better, this happens on all the ones we own too. The problem comes when a square fullscreen image is zoomed the same way, where you loose the top and bottom of the screen.

On most portable DVD players zoom the image to get ride of the black bars, so you can see the picture better, this happens on all the ones we own too. The problem comes when a square fullscreen image is zoomed the same way, where you loose the top and bottom of the screen.

Its difficult to find Full screen DVDs anymore, they like VHS have all but vanished. I prefer Widescreen now that we own wide screen TVs. :)

I prefer widescreen format since that's what most films are released in to begin with. For example, the "pan and scan" used with Seven Brides for Seven Brothers cut off a great deal of details in choreography and dancing, along with making the actors' faces much fuzzier and blurrier. My dad used to abhor widescreen format, but after seeing a 5 minute "film" on widescreen vs. pan and scan (on TCM), he said, "I don't dislike it any more."

That said, I only have about one film that I bought with full screen format, and it's Revenge of the Sith. Other movies are widescreen, though The Nativity Story has the option of either full screen or widescreen.

I prefer widescreen format since that's what most films are released in to begin with. For example, the "pan and scan" used with Seven Brides for Seven Brothers cut off a great deal of details in choreography and dancing, along with making the actors' faces much fuzzier and blurrier. My dad used to abhor widescreen format, but after seeing a 5 minute "film" on widescreen vs. pan and scan (on TCM), he said, "I don't dislike it any more."

That said, I only have about one film that I bought with full screen format, and it's Revenge of the Sith. Other movies are widescreen, though The Nativity Story has the option of either full screen or widescreen.

I know what you mean. I have the same feeling about the chariot race in Ben Hur. I love seeing the full "scope" of that race .Actually the movie that made my mom fianlly say "that's it we're getting DVD" was Lord of the Rings .We bought a really bad VHS copy ( and not a boot leg version, this was a legit copy and there was a pinkish hue to the film and a line running through it) and mom wanted to see all the details and see the whole "group shot" of the Fellowship. We never looked back. ( However, I have yet to see anything that'll make me convert over to Blu-Ray. Especailly when my boss at the video store I used to work at told me the Blu-Ray players can upconvert my DVD collection. Once they stop making DVDs I'll just keep my old collection and add the "new films" and watch them all on the same player.)

I don't think blu-ray discs play on regular dvd players, but I don't know. I've been told they don't. We'll only get a blu-ray out of necessity. ;)

back on topic, I should be getting VDT in the mail by early next week. Not that I really want it, mind you.

Blu-ray disks only play on Blu-ray players, but Blu-ray players can also play DVDs. But he's saying that. Actually, I'd love to convert to Blu-ray, when the price isn't so high. $100 is too much to pay in my opinion, when I can get DVD players for under $30. Blu-ray isn't that great. Now if I had an HDTV, I might think it worth it... :rolleyes:

Blu-ray disks only play on Blu-ray players, but Blu-ray players can also play DVDs. But he's saying that. Actually, I'd love to convert to Blu-ray, when the price isn't so high. $100 is too much to pay in my opinion, when I can get DVD players for under $30. Blu-ray isn't that great. Now if I had an HDTV, I might think it worth it... :rolleyes:

Its getting more affordable, soon thou shall be able to purchase one for a steal. :)

^Eventually blu-ray will be all that's available, but we don't even have a HDTV yet...in fact our TV is at least 10 years old.

But I like watching movies in blu-ray; to me they're much clearer and sharper than regular DVDs.

I forgot about the DVD. Oh well. I'm not getting it until two weeks from now or maybe later. I did have money today but I went to the comic book store and bought Ratchet and Clank figures, and various lapel buttons, including one the the British Flag and the "THE WHO" on it. It looks awesome. I'll pin them to my messenger bag's shoulder strap.

LOL, BK. I bet if you wait a couple of months, it'll be cheaper. I found Secretariat yesterday for about $14, which is cheaper than what I had seen it for when it came out.

I got the double DVD pack yesterday; my parents gave it to me for an early birthday gift. I also got LWW for an early birthday gift when it came out on DVD. XD
watching it again tonight possibly : D and eventually go through the Explorer DVD.

SO I stores the big box that the double pack came in along with the case for the Explorer Pack, put the Explorer Pack DVD in a ( conviently) purple DVD envelope and put that in the DVD case so I could put the VDT o my DVD shelf along side the first two Narnia films ( which happen to be next to the LOTR EEs.)

Back