Death Dealer series

It had all been set. Marcus scouted out the castle grounds and talked to the merchants to find out when Jack’s execution was while Grace formulated a plan. It came to pass that Jack’s day would be the opening day of the tournament and was to be quite the event. King Frederick and Queen Bethany would preside over the event, with Prince Drake and the Lady Danielle in attendance, as well as Jack’s estranged family. And anyone else who wished to attend was welcome. The execution would not be the traditional hanging, but would take place in the jousting arena and be carried out by way of the ax, thus spilling blood on the grounds before the first tournament event took place.

Marcus strolled toward the fence that bordered the jousting arena. Hundreds had already turned out from all over Cesarnan. Most of the spectators were from the city beside the castle, though plenty of merchants from Glenbard were present. Marcus kept himself cloaked and hooded despite the summer heat that bore down. It was important that no one recognized him. Many thieves from the Guild would be there pick pocketing and it would be no good for them to see their king.

A platform had been hastily built in the center of the arena and the jousting lines had been removed. The hooded executioner stood by, sharpening his ax. Marcus cringed. He hoped Grace’s plan would work. The knight’s entrances were open and would remain so, but that did not mean she would manage to get through the throngs of people and guards. Why were so many coming out to see the death of Jack Anders?

Marcus had picked up Jack’s real story through Grace and the crowds of people. The King of Thieves felt that the death of a former noble would terrify the people, not excite them. If Frederick executed a noble, than there was no telling how he would deal with the common people who committed less crimes than a supposed rape and robbery. A shill ran down his spine just thinking about what Frederick would do to him if he ever had the chance.

The trumpets blared and announced Frederick and Bethany. The king and queen took their seats in the royal box and acknowledged their subjects. Drake and Danielle followed as did most of the rest of the nobles, including Henry of Egona who Grace seemed to hold in such high esteem. Then, like an animal, Jack was dragged through the knights’ entrance to the south. He was chained and half-starved.

A few in the crowd jeered and some even went so far as to throw rotten tomatoes, but others seemed to mourn. An old woman beside Marcus wailed. “He was a knight for the people!” She cried, “He cared about us! Thirty pieces of gold did he give my husband when our harvest was poor.”

Others moaned and lamented for Jack as well. As Marcus listened more carefully he realized most were crying for Jack. He had been the only knight to truly care about them. And now the king who was raising taxes for war and imprisoning any who crossed him was putting their knightly hero to death. Marcus was glad Grace had come back. Glad the Death Dealer would end this madness and rescue Jack. Cesarnan needed men like Jack Anders and ladies like Grace Hilren.

King Frederick stood to address the crowd, “Today, the day our annual tournament begins, we put to death a criminal. A noble who fell from grace and attempted to harm another of high standing and even robbed.” Marcus gritted his teeth as the king spoke. Such lies he spewed forth. “Today Jack Anders dies and the Lady Danielle of Archon’s virtue can truly be restored. If the damned has any words left to say, let him speak now.”

Jack was beaten down, but he lifted his head high when he spoke, “I spit on your reign and I spit on that wench’s virtue.” And with what salvia Jack had left he spit right on the executioner’s shoe.

“Executioner, proceed.” Frederick nearly growled and returned to his seat.

Jack was forced up to the platform and his head placed on the chopping block. A basket was placed beneath him. Marcus held tight to the fence and his knuckles turned white with anxiety.

“The Death Dealer!” A guard yelled.

Relief rushed over Marcus as Grace appeared on Charger through the north entrance. She was clad in the armor Queen Peony had fitted her with and she was only recognizable as the Death Dealer because of the tattered executioner’s hood that had become the calling card of the Death Dealer. In her right hand she had her hand on the hilt of her sheathed sword; under her left arm her helmet was tucked. She trotted Charger toward the royal box.

Frederick stood and smiled broadly. “Honored and beloved Death Dealer, you have returned to us after your long absence. I have been hoping to speak with you and enlist your services and now you are here and it would be an honor for you to take over here. You are famous for punishing criminals and bringing them to justice and Jack Anders is a great criminal. Honor us by administering justice to him.”

The Death Dealer said nothing and an eerie hush fell over the crowd. She remembered. She had unconsciously moved Charger to the exact spot where she faced Frederick years ago. The same spot he cast her out and left her to scrap a living. At the time it had been the worst fate, but looking back Grace saw he had done her a great service. She put the helmet over her hood and looked through the eye slits directly at King Frederick.

“Why do you stall Death Dealer?”

The people had begun to murmur. Marcus heard a few frantically stating the Death Dealer no longer served them, but had gone to Frederick and no one would save them.

“I have come to administer justice,” The Death Dealer spoke. Grace attempted to deepen her voice. The hood and helmet served to help make her sound less like a woman and more like a muffled phantom. She drew her sword and pointed it straight at Frederick. “A plague I place on your house! Even if you strike me down you will never recover from killing the people’s hero.”

Grace kicked Charger and the horse flew a few feet forward and reared before the royal box. Grace brandished the sword at Frederick again. The crowd broke into a frenzy of cheering for the Death Dealer. Frederick turned red and screamed for his guards to attack the Death Dealer.

Marcus took the cue as planned and jumped over the fence. He drew his sword and rushed toward the platform. Grace distracted the guards while Marcus worked at freeing Jack. No one even cared about him anymore. Everyone’s attention was on the Death Dealer fighting off guards from a draft horse. Everyone except the executioner.

He had almost rushed Charger and Grace until Marcus appeared by the platform. Marcus didn’t waste on any time. He moved quickly and punched the executioner in the throat, a dirty trick he had learned when he usurped the title of King of Thieves from his predecessor. With the executioner fighting for breath, Marcus pulled Jack to his feet and cut his binds.

“Come on, Jack, we’ll make a dash for the south entrance and steal a horse. Grace is headed for the north entrance.” Marcus jumped down from the platform.

“How does she expect to make it through the city?”

“With a bit of luck, now hurry up.”

Jack was weak from his time in prison, but he managed. The two men ran for the south entrance with only a few guards trying to stop them. They were easily pushed aside. Too much effort was going toward catching the Death Dealer. Marcus and Jack’s escape did not escape Grace however. When they were safely out of the arena she kicked Charger forward and with all speed she galloped for the north entrance.

Guards scrambled for their horses, but only three were ready. There had been five guard horses, but it was clear Marcus and Jack had made off with two. Charger was strong, but clearly not built for speed. Grace needed only to get out of sight for a moment or two and she could jump off and let Charger run on.

So through the streets she galloped. She turned erratically and tried to knock over barrels and carts as she passed. When the guards on horseback missed on of her last minute turns Grace seized the opportunity and jumped off. The jump twisted her ankle, but the pain was a necessary. She crawled into a small house and shut the door. No one was home, that was a blessing in disguise. Charger had galloped on and the guards would follow him for a short while until they realized Grace wasn’t riding him. At dark she would sneak from the house, shedding her precious armor, and she’d move on to the camp her and Marcus had set up. Hopefully Jack and Marcus would still be there.

It had all been set. Marcus scouted out the castle grounds and talked to the merchants to find out when Jack’s execution was while Grace formulated a plan. It came to pass that Jack’s day would be the opening day of the tournament and was to be quite the event. King Frederick and Queen Bethany would preside over the event, with Prince Drake and the Lady Danielle in attendance, as well as Jack’s estranged family. And anyone else who wished to attend was welcome. The execution would not be the traditional hanging, but would take place in the jousting arena and be carried out by way of the ax, thus spilling blood on the grounds before the first tournament event took place.

:mad: Bloodthirsty little....

Jack was beaten down, but he lifted his head high when he spoke, “I spit on your reign and I spit on that wench’s virtue.” And with what salvia Jack had left he spit right on the executioner’s shoe.
Go Jack! You show 'em!

Frederick stood and smiled broadly. “Honored and beloved Death Dealer, you have returned to us after your long absence. I have been hoping to speak with you and enlist your services and now you are here and it would be an honor for you to take over here. You are famous for punishing criminals and bringing them to justice and Jack Anders is a great criminal. Honor us by administering justice to him.”
Ain't that the definition of Irony?

It's getting exciting, please post some more.

I reread the whole thing in less than two days.
Oh wow, I haven't even reread the whole thing yet and I'm supposed to be editing ti.

But the good news (or at least for your readers not so much for me) is that I had my wisdom teeth out today and so all I can do with my time until I heal is watch TV, read, and write. Hopefully another full chapter tomorrow.

Yay!*jumps for joy*:D

I'm addicted to this story(I don't know if that's a good thing:confused:).

Edit:Looks like I'll have to wait until tomorrow to read it, my dad has my internet shut of at 10PM cause I stay up all night on it.

Last edited:
Chapter Six: A Farewell

Frederick paced his study. His assassin, the King’s Right Hand, stood silently out of his way. The events of the day replayed in the king’s mind. The whole scene made his stomach turn. The Death Dealer was supposed to come over to his side, not free a criminal. The situation would have to be taken care of.

“The executioner,” Frederick stopped before his assassin, “Swore Marcus, the King of Thieves, is the one who cut Jack Anders free. Go into Glenbard and get me this thief’s head.” The assassin nodded and moved to exit, “And do not fail like you did with Corine Huntley.”

The assassin nodded once more and disappeared through the secret passage in Frederick’s study. The king paced a few more minutes before throwing the study door open.

He had instructed Tristan of Escion to wait for him outside and he was pleased to see the young knight was still waiting. “Find the Death Dealer and end him and then you may move on to your brother.”

Tristan smiled and nodded, “With pleasure, your highness.”

Grace hid in the attic of the house. The family had been home for houses and she had no choice, but to sit and wait. They would eventually go to sleep and she would quietly remove her armor and sneak from the house.

Downstairs Grace heard the muffled sounds of dinner. While the family below ate their meal, Grace surveyed her ankle. It was slowly swelling and turning from a bright red to a deep purple. Making a quick escape would not be easy. Just shifting while sitting caused her ankle to throb and all she wished to do was cry out in pain.

A sudden noise on the stairs caused Grace to start. “Papa, I swear Grandmother’s dress is in the attic!” A young girl called from the stairs. Grace froze, her trouser leg slightly rolled up. Her chest plate and Death Dealer hood still on.

The attic door opened and Grace waited. The girl shined her candle across the attic floor and stopped dead in her tracks when she saw Grace. At first she looked as though she would scream, but luck was with Grace. The girl recognized the hood.

“Papa!” She called down the stairs, “Papa, come quick!” She turned to Grace a smiled. She was about Sawyer’s age and had a head of strawberry blond hair. “Papa loves you,” She said in a matter of fact tone. “He will help you in running from the guards around the city.

The girl’s father came into the attic and nearly dropped the lantern he was carrying. “Kamaria bless us,” he whispered.

“The Death Dealer is hurt, Papa.” The girl shined her candle onto Grace’s bruised ankle.

“Have your mother put some warm water on and find some clean cloth, Mary.”

“Yes Papa,” Mary hurried back down the stairs.

Her father came to Grace’s side and inspected her ankle as best he could by the lantern light. “I suppose you are in a great deal of pain.”

“I think it may be sprained, sir.” The man looked carefully through the eye slits of Grace’s hood. She winced, realizing she had not even tried to lower her voice. Had this man guessed she was really a woman?

“I will help you downstairs and we will see what can be done for your ankle. My wife is an experienced healer. She’ll take good care of you.” The man took Grace up under the armpits and bade her to lean on him, helping her down the stairs into the kitchen.

Mary and her mother had set up a chair and a footstool for Grace to sit on. “This is my wife, Polly, and I am Bryan.”

“Welcome to our home, Death Dealer.” Polly said, handing a mug of sweet smelling tea to Grace. “Oh how rude of me,” She said, “Thinking you would remove your hood before commoners like us.”

“No, not rude,” Grace said, “I believe this may be the last time the Death Dealer dares to enter Ursana.” Grace pulled the hood off and her auburn hair fell down past her shoulders in a sweaty mess.

Upon seeing Grace’s face, Mary’s eyes lit up and she tried to hide her excitement. “Mama, Mama!” She tugged at the strings of her mother’s apron, “The Death Dealer is a woman!” She whispered excitedly as though Grace could not hear her.

“Indeed she is,” Polly seemed just as happy and excited as her daughter.

“Then the rumors have been complete lies,” Bryan said, taking hold of Grace’s ankle. “Many would have us believe the Death Dealer was a huge, muscle bound man. You, my dear, are far from some burly man.”

“Some have said I was a one-handed scrawny young lad who had an eye patch on under my hood.” Grace smiled in spite of her pain. Bryan poked and prodded her ankle before wrapping it in a warm cloth.

Polly placed a plate of potatoes, rolls, beef, and a slice of apple pie before Grace. She welcomed their hospitality and ate the meal gratefully. But the good feeling could not last forever; Grace needed to get to camp before Marcus and Jack left.

“Is there any hope of my exiting the city without being seen?”

“Unlikely. The ruckus of today put the guards on a very tight watch. Everyone leaving the city is being searched.”

Grace groaned there was no hope in bringing her armor now. How would she exit the city? Climbing the city walls was out of the question with her ankle in the condition it was. And even borrowing clothes would be hard. She still needed her Death Dealer costume of all black to move without being seen in the dark.

“As kind as you have all been, I must find a way out of here, tonight.”

“Can’t you dress up as a peasant woman?” Mary asked. “No one would think twice about it.”

“And the gates will remain open for another hour or two,” Bryan said. “It is perfect.”

“I cannot leave my Death Dealer garb behind. The hood alone could cause you trouble if it is ever found and if I dare try to sneak it out in a bag the guards would catch me straight away.”

“Maybe you could hide it under your clothes, make it seem as though you are pregnant.” Polly said thoughtfully. “It’ll be dark by the main gate, the shadows won’t give away that you are not really pregnant.”

Bryan nodded, “Mary, fetch one of your mother’s old dresses, I will find one of your grandmother’s old walking sticks. We’ll get you away from here tonight, Death Dealer.”

Grace hobbled along. Her costume stuffed beneath one of Polly’s dresses and tied so it stayed in place. Bryan had found an old walking stick in the attic and gave it to Grace to help her keep off her swollen ankle. She hid her sword in the folds of the dress and her dagger was folded within her Death Dealer hood. Grace hugged each of them in turn as she left. Polly and Bryan promised to keep the armor well hidden until the commotion wore down, then they would take it outside the city and bury it.

Grace approached the gate. Her heart pounded in her ears and she hoped she could keep from shaky when the guards inspected her. One guard held out his hand and ordered her to stop. “Heading to the fertility fire?” He asked.

As tradition dictated, couples would flock to a large bonfire in hopes of conceiving on the first night of the tournament. Another guard looked at Grace’s stomach and laughed, “Looks like this one ‘as already been.”

“I live on a farm not far from here.”

“A little late to be traveling, ain’t it?” The second guard asked.

“After that horrible ruckus at the tournament I do not feel safe in the city. I would rather take my chances on the road.”

The guards laughed, “Silly girl, you’re safer here.”

“Please allow me to pass, I just wish to go home.”

“As you wish, but if ye are attacked,” The first guard said, “Remember we warned ye to stay here.”

Grace smiled politely and moved past the guards. She groaned with pain as she hobbled away. Luckily the guards just laughed and taunted her. With any luck she would reach Marcus and Jack before daybreak.

Jack paced back and forth before the fire Marcus had started. The two had donned on disguises in the hopes no one noticed them. Jack had trimmed his beard and wrapped a piece of cloth over his left eye, hoping the fake bandage would throw people off. Marcus kept his hood on and smudged dirt on his face and kept his head down. They had let the horses go as soon as they were a few miles from the castle. No sense in keeping royal guard horses with them. So far no one bothered them.

“Grace should be here by now,” Jack had been anxious since the rescue and now the sun had long since set, the fertility fire was probably drawing near its end, and Grace had not yet joined them at the camp.

“Her distraction has probably caused her to great difficulty in getting out. But don’t worry, Jack, she’ll be here.”

“Where can you find such confidence? She’s been captured for sure! We have to go back and help her.” Jack tightened his hands into fists and groaned. What had she been thinking? How could Marcus let her go through with her foolish plan? They had to go find her.

“You always did doubt my abilities.” Marcus and Jack both started as a figure emerged from the darkness. A sigh of relief escaped Marcus when he saw it was Grace in disguise.

Jack ran to her side and pulled her into a hug so tight the air left her lungs completely. “Are you out of your mind? What were you thinking?” Jack looked over his shoulder at Marcus, “What were both of you thinking?” He kissed the top of Grace’s head and held her tight. “You foolish, foolish girl.”

“Give her some air, Jack.” Marcus pried Jack away and regarded Grace carefully. Unlike Jack he took full notice of the walking cane. “What happened?”

“I had to jump from Charger. I think I sprained it in the fall. But enough about that, we have to get far away from here. I think Marcus and I should return to Glenbard, Jack you will be much safer in Arganis.” Grace untied the rope around her waist and her Death Dealer garb spilled out at her feet.

“I am not going anywhere without you,” Jack said. “Regardless of the danger, I’ll go to Glenbard.”

“Don’t be stupid,” Marcus snapped. “Not even the best disguise will allow you to go unnoticed now. Grace is right, Arganis is safe for you.”

“And what about you two? You think Glenbard is going to be some safe haven for you? You must have gone mad.”

“Glenbard is my home. If I am to be attacked anywhere, I think it should be there.”

Jack looked at Grace. What was her excuse for risking her life to journey to Glenbard? “I have to seek news on Kay. I caught wind of what happened with the Fearless Dawn and if I can, I would like to help her.”

“So you two return to help our friends and I’m sent away like some old woman?”

Grace wrapped her arms around Jack’s waist and put her head against his chest. “Please, just go. People are looking for the Death Dealer, not Grace Hilren. But everyone will be looking for you and we will have to travel by day from here on out, sooner or later someone will recognize you. All three of us will rest here tonight and tomorrow night, we will part.”

“I don’t like this plan,” Jack grumbled, but as he said it he knew Grace was right. Going into Glenbard would be suicide. But he wanted to go to Glenbard. Kay needed his help as much as she needed Grace’s. He curled his fingers into Grace’s sweaty hair and sighed.

“Will you listen to reason, Jack?” Marcus asked.

“If you think this is the safest choice for all of us, then I suppose my only choice is to concede and go to Arganis tomorrow night.”

Grace smiled. Jack would be safest in her uncles’ home. And when all loose ends were tied up she would join him and they would go to Otanna together.

Grace was dozing against Jack’s chest when a “whoosh” and a great clatter brought her from her daze. Jack and Marcus were both up and on their feet, weapons drawn, waiting.

“Stop,” Grace rubbed her eyes and fought off the last remnants of sleep. It was dark and soon Jack would be gone, but neither knew exactly how Jack would get to Arganis.

As she expected Colin had found their camp and had joined them under cover of darkness. The dragon growled and hissed when Marcus and Jack drew weapons on him. “Stop!” Grace repeated, putting herself between the two parties.

“What is going on here?” Jack asked, lowering his sword.

“Colin is here as my friend and aid.” Grace said. Colin moved his great mass behind Grace and glared down at the two men. “And I hope he will be your ride to freedom, Jack.”

“”Ride to freedom?” Colin asked.

“Colin,” Grace turned to face him, “I beg this favor of you. Please fly Jack to Arganis to stay within my family’s house. He will be safe there while I go to Glenbard to gather news of my other friends.”

“That does not sound safe, my lady, and I cannot protect you if you enter Glenbard. There is no place for me to hide.”

“Then I will need to trust in the protection of my friends. But please help Jack.”

The dragon regarded Jack with his dull red eyes. He did not wish to help the man, but Grace was Corine’s friend and Colin promised his service to Grace at Corine’s request.

“If you do not wish to carry him, I will understand.” Grace said.

The dragon sighed, “We must leave now to make it to Arganis before the sun fully rises. And this man must ride bareback since my blanket is clearly lost.”

Back