Death Dealer series

The weeks had dragged on. Almost two weeks had come and gone since Jack had found himself in the miserable little cell. Each day he was reminded that soon he would be dragged away for the castle in Ursana and hung for crimes he never committed, oh how he cursed love. He had loved Danielle and it had forced him away from his family and friends, making him a criminal. He had loved Grace and she had left him with no word of warning. Jack wondered if she would even lament his death.

A sigh escaped his lips and he placed his head against the cool bars. Death did not seem so terrible now. Not after the beatings he had endured since being arrested. There were rumors that many who served as the royal guard in Glenbard were corrupt and cruel, but now Jack had witnessed and felt it first hand. It did not matter what the crime was, they would beat you for it. Jack saw a man who owed two gold coins to a debtor mercilessly beaten for no reason.

Jack had met the business end of a guard’s baton more than once since his arrest. None of his friends had even come to see him. Thom had come once to deliver a message that Marcus had written. Jack never learned the content, Thom could not speak of it aloud and the guards had ripped it to pieces. Things on the outside were faring no better than life within Jack’s cell.

A baton smacked hard against the bars and Jack jumped back. “Ye have a visitor, ya scum.” The guard barked. “Your cousin or something.”

Cousin? Jack’s cousins would never have been seen visiting him. His heart jumped; perhaps Ridley had come to explain the note.

Ridley did not round the corner, but Jack’s heart did not sink. Kitanna moved with more grace than he had ever seen. She knelt on the ground before his cell, he did the same. She took his bruised hands in hers.

“Tell me you have come to take my life,” Jack whispered. The guard did not turn toward him, he must not have heard.

“I am here to give you hope.” Kitanna stroked his hand. Her fingertips felt like ice and it was a sweet relief from the humidity and stifling heat of the jail. Her mere presence was a comfort to Jack. “Grace is returning to Cesarnan. If all has gone as planned she has already set foot on the soil of Arganis.”

“Grace?” Jack had a great storm brewing in his heart over hearing that name again. She had left him when he had wanted nothing more than to marry her. No letter did she send after her arrival, just one, to say she had settled nicely into the queen’s guard. He loathed her for that, but the same time hearing her name made his heart swell. Kitanna had told her of his troubles and she was coming to help. Then he realized the true danger of that.

“Grace cannot fight all of the king’s men. She’ll be killed,” he tried to control his voice, but as he thought more about it, he found his emotions running wild.

“Shhh,” Kitanna put a finger against his lips. “Do not worry yourself with any of that.”

“You say that, but I can’t let Grace do something so foolish. One against all of those at Ursana?”

“The Death Dealer is trusted by many, even those at court.” Kitanna looked over her shoulder, the guard had heard nothing.

Jack wished he could break out. He would ride to Arganis and stop Grace and send her back to Otanna where she would be safe.

“Can’t you free me from this place?”

Kitanna shook her head, “It is not my place to interfere. I wish I could, but to become entangled in mortal affairs such as this is not why I was sent down. I am here to guide mortals, not change their destinies. Just have faith. It will soon be over.”

“Time’s up, missy.” The guard moved from his post and pulled Kitanna to her feet.

Jack wanted desperately to know what Kitanna meant by it would soon be over. Would he soon be dead? Would Grace die trying to free him? Would they make it safely out of Cesarnan? Jack flew to his feet and reached his arms through the bars, trying in vain to pull Kitanna back to him. The guard used his free hand to wield his baton. It came down sharp and hard on Jack’s forearm. He recoiled to the back corner of the cell in pain and despair. He prayed silently that Grace had enough sense to realize he was a lost cause.

Donald was reliable and for that Kay was thankful. With the help of Thom and Donald Kay and Ridley were able to secure passage to Nareroc on the next trade ship headed there. It was not Donald’s ship, but he had made friends with the captain over the years. In exchange for passage Ridley and Kay would be expected to help the cook and clean what was needed. Kay was used to holding some amount of power on a ship, but if this was the only way to see Max, then she would have to live with it.

Bella and Sawyer were snuck into Marcus’s house late one night, when darkness concealed their entry. The two were ushered into the cellar where Ridley and Kay were, withal their supplies for the journey.

“So this is how it is to be, then?” Bella asked, holding Sawyer by the shoulders, keeping the girl from running to her mother.

“There’s nothing else we can do,” Kay cut her eyes to Bella. Her aunt had not taken anything well since the appearance of the Black Spot.

“You were the captain for years, surely this is a mistake.”

“Pirates don’t make mistakes of this kind,” Sawyer said. Kay looked at her daughter and nodded. The girl was absolutely right.

“Well what makes you think Max Yuli is going to help?” Bella voiced what Marcus feared. Max was not known for his kindness, especially to other captains. Kay was likely to end up with her head on a stake instead of gaining answers.

“Max may not help, but I can’t think of anyone else who would have any answers for me. And better to be killed by an adversary, then by those who once called me a friend and captain.”

“Kay’s right,” Ridley said, “No one here has any answers and who better to go to than the most well known pirate in the region.”

Ridley spoke the truth. Everyone knew the Fearless Dawn, but the captain of the Dawn was little more than a useless figure head. Max Yuli had been pirating the seas from beyond the western shore of the Sun Kingdom to further north than the northern most shore of Otanna and Sera for almost thirty years. There was not a seafarer alive who didn’t know of Max. He knew all, he saw all, and if Kay wanted answers he’d be the one to have them.

An uncomfortable silence descended the group. Marcus was hesitant, Bella was angry, Kay was nervous, and Ridley and Sawyer were rather excited. The silence crept to all corners of the cellar and the sounds of the nighttime world, cats prowling about, poor beggars sorting through the trash, was all anyone could hear.

“At the week of the week, they’re taking Jack.” Sawyer finally spoke.

Kay shot her eyes to the girl quickly. “How do you know?”

“I snuck out to see him late last night. I climbed up on a barrel and peered in his cell window. He looks terrible and he told me they were taking him. The king is going to kill him.”

Jack had not been forgotten, but everyone knew as long as he was in Glenbard he was relatively safe. Now it was time to act on his behalf.

“How can I possibly leave for Nareroc now?” Kay moaned.

“You need to get your answers,” Marcus said. “I will follow Jack to Ursana personally and do what I can.” Silently Marcus knew what he could do. Since he took the title of King of Thieves King, Frederick had been trying to arrest and hang him. If it meant saving Jack’s life, Marcus would be willing to turn himself over. He didn’t like that option, but Jack had been a good friend since he arrived in Glenbard. Marcus still hoped it wouldn’t come to something so drastic.

“It’s getting late,” Thom appeared on the stairs from the kitchen. “Now is the best time to sneak to the docks.”

“We’ll be right up, Thom.” Marcus looked at Ridley and Kay. “Are you ready?”

The two nodded. And Kay said, “As ready as we can possibly be.”

“Let’s go.”

Marcus went up the stairs, followed by Ridley. Kay lingered for a moment. She hugged her aunt and patted Sawyer on the top of her head. “If all goes well I’ll be home in a few weeks.” Kay mounted the stairs, looking back once at her aunt and daughter.

The port city of Grewa on the largest of the Nareroc Islands was a neutral port where traders from all over came to rest or the sailors came to find comfort in a woman. Kay had been born in Grewa and she knew it well. It was not safe for anyone, especially not two women traveling alone who were clearly not prostitutes. Though Kay and Ridley dressed in the traditional clothes of peasant women underneath their aprons and shawls they hid their daggers, knives, and Kay’s sword.

The tavern The Ruby Dagger was their destination. When not out sailing Max spent all his time there. The Dagger was a fortress and every pirate knew it and they knew to stay away. Every pirate captain had a special port tavern to call his own, Kay had the Angel and Max had the Dagger. The Ruby Dagger was far more dangerous than any other port tavern and that was why Max called it home.

“This is it?” Ridley stood by Kay. Kay had stopped before the doors of the tavern.

The sun had fallen below the horizon and inside music filled the tavern and somewhere in the back rooms Max Yuli sat on his throne with half his crew guarding him and probably fifty or so harlots waiting on him hand and foot.

“This is not going to be fun,” Kay sighed and pushed open the door to the Dagger. No one noticed the two enter or at least no one cared. Everyone was too busy getting drunk and telling stories to notice two peasant women enter. It was best not to attract any attention so Kay was pleased no one seemed to care. Kay led Ridley to a table by the fireplace. They sat and watched.

Getting in to see Max was going to be hard. It was important to ask the right person the right question. If the utmost care was not taken Kay and Ridley would both end up with their heads on serving dishes for the next meal served. Kay scanned the crowd for the man she would have to ask. She’d know him when she saw him. But no one jumped out to her as Max’s go to man.

A shadow fell across the table. “Ladies,” A handsome blue eyed, brown haired man leaned on the table.”

“We’re not selling what you want.” Kay growled under her breath.

“You don’t even know what I was going to ask.” The man leaned closer, taking Kay by the arm. “Now be civil, captain.” His voice was icy and at hearing herself be referred to as ‘captain’ Kay shuddered.

“Come on ladies, Captain Yuli would like a few words.” The man pulled Ridley and Kay to their feet.

He led them through the crowd and into the back room. Fifteen men stood around an elderly man with a peppered beard and graying black hair. No women were around. Max had been expecting them, but how did he know?

The man who had led them in released them and smiled. “Your weapons, please.”

Kay and Ridley did has requested and removed all the weapons they had been carrying. Five daggers, three knives, and a sword were placed on a table, to be returned if the meeting went well.

“Captain Yuli,” Kay bowed her head. She coughed loudly and Ridley did the same.

“Enough formalities, Kay,” Max said, “I knew you would turn up here sooner or later.”

“And how did you know?” Kay put her hands on her hips and scowled.

“Because like everyone other pirate who sails these seas you know information does not escape my niece. Will!” The man who had brought Kay and Ridley in stepped forward. “Go retrieve Samantha.”

“Yessir,” Will bowed and rushed out.

“So you do have news for me.”

Max laughed, it was cruel and cold to Ridley’s ears. Kay had heard it before and it still sent chills through her. “Of course I have news. I heard about the Black Spot before you even received it.”

“Care to explain it to me then?” Kay had no patience for Max and his need to dance around the subject.

“Samantha, dear,” Kay turned over her shoulder and saw the tall, slender figure of Samantha Yuli. Her brown hair had been pulled into a bun and she wore black boots, black breeches, and a red tunic. Kay was actually relieved to see her. Samantha would give her the answers and at least attempt to stop Max if he tried to kill Kay.

“Sammi, would you care to explain what you heard to Captain Kay?”

Samantha crossed the room and stood to the left of her uncle. “Some men from the Fearless Dawn were in the port city of Hunab in Sera a few months back, it seems all your problems stem from King Frederick.”

“Frederick?” Kay was more than a little interest now.

“He’s planning a great war with King Christian of the Sun Kingdom, but he needs to tie up some loose ends. Loose ends meaning you.”

“Me? What do I have to do with Frederick?”

“When you were captain most of your ventures involved pillaging and burning Frederick’s ships, you always hated the man and made it obvious. He hated you equally as much and paid your former crew to dispose of you before he starts his war.”

“I don’t understand why, though.”

“There’s a lot of money to be made in attacking warships, all those military supplies and food stocks on board. Not to mention fine war horses and weapons. Frederick figured you would return to the seas on the Dawn when war started.”

Kay would have. The crew didn’t want her to retire and probably would have welcomed her back, at least the captain she placed in charge would have.

Samantha continued, “Frederick granted clemency to the crew of the Dawn for killing you. Captain Fuller refused and so the crew forced him out on the plank with a great stone tied to his feet.”

Dennis Fuller had been Kay’s first mate and dearest friend on the Dawn and he was killed for no reason aside from trying to save a friend.

“The Dawn knows you left Glenbard, news of that arrived before you did,” Max said. “They don’t know where you are, but it’s only a matter of time before they seek you out.” Max stood, “A pirate should not go out this way, helping the enemy. Helping a king like Frederick. If you require a ship I can provide it and I will even pick two men to help you, but you’d have to find more crew members.”

“You’d help me?”

“We have our differences, Kay, but you’re a **** fine pirate and I refuse to let those dogs on the Fearless Dawn kill you without a fight. You don’t have to take my help, but I suggest you do. What little honor is left in pirating is in this room.”

Kay didn’t answer. She let the silence wash over the room. Max was offering help because he hated Frederick and he hated when people sneaked around on their friends.

“Can you find passage for my companion? So she can return to Glenbard safely?” Marcus would not be pleased if something happened to Ridley.

“Consider it done.”

“I want to stay with you, Kay!” Ridley whispered.

“This is not a journey you can make with me,” Kay turned her attention to Max again. “And you say two members from your crew?” Max nodded. “I request Samantha as one then.”

Max’s eyes narrowed. Kay wanted to make sure he was going to keep his word and not provide her with a faulty ship or incompetent crewmen. He didn’t like the idea, but as a sign of good faith he said, “If that is your request, then it can be done. Any others volunteer?”

“I will,” Will stepped forward without taking even a moment to consider.

Kay quickly looked at Will and saw he was not staring at his captain, but at Samantha. Looking back at Max Kay saw his eyes turn into slits at Will. She smirked; this arrangement clearly put the captain on edge.

“Samantha Yuli and Will Bennington, then? Are they acceptable, Kay?” Kay could tell Max was less than pleased, but this meant he would at least provide her with a decent ship.

“They’re perfect,” She smiled.

Max clapped his hands and two women appeared. “Find a room for Captain Kay and her companion. Then call someone up from the shipyard. I’m going to need a ship. Will, go find any able bodied men looking for work. Tell them the captain of the Fearless Dawn needs a crew.”

“Yessir,” Will and the women bowed and went in every direction to do Max’s bidding.

Max walked down to Kay and put his mouth by her ear. “If anything happens to my niece, I will hunt you down and kill you.”

Kay nodded, understanding that Max would keep that promise and make her life miserable for the rest of her days. Death would be welcomed by the end.

Max had ordered all his guards out and only Samantha remained. She was not stupid and had she been blind and deaf she would have known Max was beyond angry. He paced back and forth through the room that not so long ago had been filled and Kay had accepted his help.

“If it angers you so, why did you offer the help?” Samantha had been raised by Max from the age of seven and he had never been a man of compassion. And everyone knew he despised Kay.

Max stopped his pacing and narrowed his eyes toward Samantha. How could he expect her to understand? She was too young, Kay was young too, but Kay had been taught the ancient pirate ways and understood tradition. The younger pirates these days had no real concept of the old ways and that was why the Fearless Dawn had so easily sold their former captain out.

“If the crew of the Dawn is allowed to join with scum like Frederick it’s only a matter of time until lesser pirate ships sell their services to kings, like common mercenaries. What is happening to Kay can easily happen to others and I am not allowing that to happen as long as I’m alive.”

“Still I know you don’t want me involved in this mess,” secretly Samantha was pleased the famous Kay Lansa had requested her as one of the crew members. Kay’s name would fade like many of the captain who had come before her where the Fearless Dawn was concerned, but for now Kay was almost as well known as Max.

“I needed to show Kay that I and the crew of the King’s Bane are behind her. Agreeing to let you be on her crew is a sign of good faith.” Max sank back onto his throne.

Samantha pulled up a chair and sat facing her uncle. She could tell this was beyond the problems facing the Fearless Dawn. Samantha and Max were from Archon and had no interests in Cesarnan, but if King Frederick could so easily buy of the Dawn then Cesarnan’s naval power could grow immensely and threaten the King’s Bane and other pirate ships. As it stood now Otanna’s navy was unbeatable and that was bad enough, but the navy of Otanna never fired upon pirate ships as long as they were not challenged. Cesarnan had been known to seek out pirates and sink ships as often as possible. If their navy grew any bigger the seas would no longer be safe for Max’s kind.

“Any idea what Kay will do?”

Max shook his head, “Knowing Kay someone is going to die. At this point there is no telling who. Captain Fuller and Kay were close friends and that’s why she named him her successor. His death with fuel the fires of vengeance and things could get pretty ugly. So let me tell you this, if it looks like suicide, abandon Kay to her fate. I won’t risk a perfectly good ship and crew on this, but we can at least deliver Kay to her fate.” Max pointed to the door. “Now go out and get whatever news you can about the Dawn.”

Samantha was like a hound, she did exactly as she was commanded. If news was what was needed, then news was what she would bring.

I'm sorry I wasn't keeping up--I am ashamed...*hangs head*

Anyway, it was all good.

Tristan referred to the assassin the king of Cesarnan kept in his service if he had any enemies that needed to be disposed of. The current Right Hand was the best Frederick had ever employed and sometimes even the best were allowed a mistake or two.

That was a little confusing.

“He seemed agreeable.” Ridley remarked, lying down in bed.

The room arranged for her and Kay was a fine suite with two small rooms, with large beds in each and fine dressers and writing desks. Kay entered Ridley’s part of the suite and shook her head.

“Too agreeable. He was on edge about something. He either knows something we don’t or he’s guessed something we haven’t even considered.”

“But he let his niece join us, so it can’t be all that bad, right?”

“It could be. Samantha is allowed to come simply to show he is doing this in good faith and not trying to sabotage my plans. However, I wouldn’t be surprised if he told Samantha to turn tail and run if the going gets tough.” Kay slumped onto a couch that had been placed in Ridley’s room.

“After all that in helping you, he’d call back his aid just like that?”

“This isn’t his fight, Ridley. And if Samantha is in any sort of danger he won’t allow her to stay in it for long. Think of all the brawls and dangers Marcus has pulled you out of, though you were needed. Max and Marcus are both willing to do what is necessary to protect family.”

Ridley nodded, recalling all the times Marcus had refused to let her join a fight or take on certain jobs because he deemed them too dangerous. Perhaps Kay was right and Max and Marcus were not so different.

“Will you reconsider and let me join you?” Ridley had been crestfallen when Kay had asked for a transport home for Ridley. She was as brave as any of the pirates Kay would have manning the ship from Max.

“No,” was Kay’s simple answer. Seeing Ridley’s disappointment she sighed. “I need experienced sailors of one thing and you are far from experienced. Only Grace Hilren was worse off than you on a ship. And if I take you with me I’ll have to worry about Marcus and his men chasing me down too. Just go home and do whatever you can to help Jack.”

Ridley suddenly remembered Jack’s plight and how nearly a month would have passed before she set foot in Glenbard again. “Jack could be dead by the time I get back!” How could she abandon Jack like that? Marcus said he would take care of the problem, but she could have at least tried to do something before running off with Kay.

Kay didn’t have one word to say as encouragement. Jack Anders would probably be hung days if not more before Ridley’s return. Kay had never turned her head to violence or thought twice about killing someone who had crossed her, but this war business made her weary. If this war was big enough to claim the crew of the Fearless Dawn with promises of money and clemency and it was enough to take Jack’s life for a crime he’d been pardoned of, where would it end?

For the first time since she was a young girl, Kay felt a fear growing in her chest for another person. Jack’s death would be regrettable, but Kay was far more concerned with Sawyer’s life. Wars had claimed the lives of children before and why should this one be different?

A resolve grew and swelled in Kay’s chest. She would find the Dawn, she would reclaim it and execute those who had betrayed her so selfishly and she would get Sawyer and Bella far away from Cesarnan. It was the only real option open at the moment.

Chapter Five: The Death Dealer against the King

Her legs were aching with pain, the sun had risen and darkness no longer covered her, there was no choice for Grace but to enter through the front gate. She wore her Death Dealer garb, with the hood tucked under her tunic and she carried the leather jerkin over her shoulder. Hopefully she would be recognized by the gate guards.

Walking purposefully up the road toward the castle, she caught sight of the small guard house outside the gate. She was less than thrilled making herself known to all within, but time was not on her side and she could not wait until dark. A large part of her wished Colin was smaller so she could fly to the plains and small wooded area around the castle in Ursana.

“Who comes up the road so early?” One of the guards called to Grace.

It was no time for games and hiding. Grace would have to openly declare herself. “It is I, the former Countess Grace Amelia Hilren, daughter of Count Daniel Martin Hilren and his wife Countess Dedre Alyssa. This is my home and I demand to see my uncles, Count George Frederick Hilren and Jonathon Leon Hilren. What are you waiting for? Go fetch them!”

The guard who had spoken bowed and fumbled out of the guard house to get someone. The other guard came out to have a better look at Grace as she stopped before the gates.

“Gracie?” Grace knew him. Charlie was his name. He was close to Leon’s age and had been serving the family since he was a youth. “Ciro bless me, it is you!”

Grace bowed her head in acknowledgment. “Forgive my demanding tone, Charlie, but I have important business to attend to.”

“No apologies lady,” Charlie took Grace by the hand and led her into the guardhouse. “If what Calvin says is true there could be spies all around here. No need for them to catch her Ladyship out.”

“I ceased to be ‘her Ladyship’ of Arganis over three years ago.”

“Not to us you didn’t. You’re still considered the lady of the house, now that your mother is gone, and no order from the king will change that.”

Grace saw that Frederick’s power was nothing in Arganis. The northern province was connected to Cesarnan simply because it was connected to the rest of Cesarnan geographically. The crown’s power meant absolutely nothing to the people in Grace’s old home.

“That’s dangerous talk, Charlie.”

“These be dangerous times, Gracie.”

“So it is true!” Grace turned her head and saw Calvin standing in the doorway. He extended his arms to Grace and she threw herself into a hug with her cousin. “I thought you were in Otanna.”

“Things have changed and I need as much help as Arganis can offer. I need to see George and Leon right away.”

“Even a war horse in its prime cannot get you to Ursana faster than a month’s time, at least. And the summer storms are rolling in so it may take longer.” Leon had laid down a map and was showing Grace the best routes from Arganis to Ursana.

“A month?”

“And that is riding as fast as the horse could go, provided you only stop for a short about of time. A horse cannot gallop all the way from here to Ursana.”

“I do not have that much time.” Grace moaned and covered her face with her hands.

“What is wrong with the dragon?” George ventured. Since Grace informed him of Corine Huntley’s famous dragon having flown Grace overseas he had been dying to catch a glimpse of it.

“Colin is too large to hide anywhere near the castle.”

“It is true the woodlands around Ursana are small and the trees are skinny saplings for the most part, but closer to Glenbard the area is quite forested.” George pointed to the forests that were within miles of Glenbard. “The ride from Glenbard is only about two weeks and that is much better than a month of traveling.”

“Two weeks on foot,” Calvin pointed out, “Grace could buy a horse and be in Ursana in a little over a week.”

“Also true.” George looked at Grace, “Arrive under cover of the night and the dragon can leave you in the forest and fly away before anyone sees him.”

Grace shrugged, unsure that this plan would work. If Colin was caught it would mean very terrible things for Corine. “I am not so sure.”

“What about Egona? Henry would welcome you, dragon and all. Besides his castle in Egona is not much more than a week’s ride from Glenbard and a week and maybe two weeks ride from the castle in Ursana.” Leon said. “The ride would be a bit longer, but you could get a horse and Henry would make sure Colin was well protected.”

“Henry is under close watch of Frederick,” Calvin spoke up again. His words crushed Grace’s hopes. “He is forced to stay in Ursana most of the time. In Frederick’s eyes he is far more suspicious than me.”

Grace sighed. Henry’s help would have been the greatest stroke of luck she could hope for, but fate would not allow it. It seemed the path from the forest outside of Glenbard was her only real choice. It would also prove to be the fastest.

“I need to leave now. If I start the journey within the hour than we can reach Glenbard by nightfall, I ask for some gold to purchase a horse and if it can be spared, Uncle Leon, I would like one of your flails.”

“The gold I will gladly provide to you,” George said, rising from his seat.
“A flail I can give, but also I will find a spare bow and quiver. You are heading into a battle with knives and a sword that will not be sufficient.”

“I thank you with all my heart and I must go inform Colin of these plans. Come find me when you are ready.”

Grace had worried the dragon would not take kindly to leaving so soon, but he was quite rested and ready to fly her where she needed to be.

“Once you drop me outside Glenbard you should get back to Corine.” Grace was fumbling with the saddle. She had managed to get it on Colin, but she was finding it quite difficult to fasten it.

“Nay, Miss Huntley requested I keep as close an eye on you as is possible. I cannot watch you while you are in Ursana, but I will wait for a while north of the castle, in the first safely wooded area I can find.”

“That would be Arganis. There are groves and small forested areas that men have planted all through Cesarnan, but for a dragon of your size Arganis is the only truly safe place.” Grace pulled on the middle strap and was quite pleased that at least one strap was securely in place.

“Then in Arganis I will wait and I will fly each night to see if I can spot you and be of any assistance.”

“You really do not have too, Colin.”

The dragon cocked his head to one side, much like a confused puppy would. “And disobey Corine’s orders? Nonsense.” Colin chose not to tell Grace how he hated Frederick and was willing to aid in his downfall in any way. If it had been up to him, Colin would help Grace free her friend and then lay waste to the castle and the grounds surrounding it.

Grace patted Colin gently on the neck before returning to her work on the other two straps. Colin sat perfectly still as Grace worked. He was glad someone with such a kind and loyal heart was standing up to Frederick. In his long years he had seen many attempts to stand up to monarchs such as Frederick. Most had been power hungry and became nearly as tyrannical as the men they replaced. None went into battle to show their loyalty or love for their friends. That was where Grace was different.

Grace pulled on the second of the three straps. “Too tight?”

“It is just right.”

“Good,” Grace smiled; admiring the work she had done so far before beginning on the third and final saddle strap.

As Grace fumbled with the last strap a small group on horseback came up the forest path toward them. The man out in front looked with awe on Colin. He stopped his horse to take in the great dragon. The two men and one woman with him moved their horses past and dismounted.

“You must be George Hilren, you scholarly work is known even in the Sun Kingdom.” Colin addressed the man who had stopped. He naturally assumed the scholar would be the most thunderstruck to see him.

“My uncle has been waiting his whole life to witness a creature such as yourself,” The young man of the group bowed before Colin. “I am Sir Calvin Hilren and this is my father Leon and my uncle George.”

“To think I have lived to see this,” George dismounted and moved closer to Colin. “I studied at the university in Bailor of the Sun Kingdom and I was there when Corine Huntley used the dragons to defeat the usurper in Aletson. How I have longed to meet you.”

Colin laughed and crawled on his belly toward George. Grace was tugged on a bit, Colin having forgotten she was still working. “My apologies Grace,” he turned back to George. “It is a pleasure to meet a man who can appreciate the mystics, especially here in Cesarnan.”

“King Frederick is being a fool,” Leon said suddenly. “He dares to fight against a nation that understands the mystics and the holds sway with Otanna, a land that is blessed by the Immortals.”

“Land and gold corrupt men,” Colin sighed. “All wars are folly, but if it comes to war, no one is to say who the victor will be.”

The woman spoke for the first time, “But if the Sun Kingdom has the aid of the dragons, surely Cesarnan cannot compete.”

“One dragon can only do so much. I could easily destroy much here, but to what end my dear? I would punish those innocents who have no choice but to live under Frederick.”

Grace came and stood by her old friend, Cassandra. “Perhaps we should be off.” She said.

“A wise idea,” George nodded. “If you leave now you could land outside Glenbard under cover of darkness.”

Grace hugged her cousin, uncles, and Cassandra all in turn. “Thank you for your aid. I will return as soon as my task is done. However, I will have to flee to Otanna almost as quickly as I arrived.”

“Be safe and let Frederick tremble at the Death Dealer’s presence,” Leon said.

Colin held out his front leg for Grace to climb onto. She used the leg and swung herself onto her back. Cassandra and Calvin handed her supplies up and she fastened them to the saddle. Grace felt this was no time for a long drawn out good-bye. So she waved and smiled for them. They moved away as Colin spread out his wings and took to the air.

It was after midnight when Colin landed. He had set down in a field not more than ten miles from Glenbard. Grace was pulling on her Death Dealer garb. She would put on the armor when she finally reached the castle area in Ursana until then she’d dress as a peasant. But for now she needed the black clothes so she could steal a horse without being seen.

It had not been her plan to steal a horse, but fear had gripped her heart on the flight and she felt no more time could be wasted. She hoped to find more than one horse in the farm house. She couldn’t bear taking the only horse a family had.

“I will stay with your armor until you return,” Colin said as Grace stole off into the night.

She sprinted through the field. The farm house Grace was approaching was nothing more than a dark shape in the distance, a lone candle burning on the top floor. Grace hopped the fence that led to the barn and she crept through the shadows. There was a small lantern lit in the barn. Whoever had been within last had neglected to put it out. That made Grace’s job of finding a horse easier.

She pushed the large barn door open and squeezed inside. The lantern cast a little light around the barn. There were three cows, a few stray chickens, three horses, and a young goat that was tied to a stack and not in a stall. She moved toward the horses’ stalls. Two appeared to be sturdy work horses, most likely used to pull the plow or perhaps a cart to the market in Glenbard. The third horse was an old nag that seemed to have seen better days in its long life.

The nag would certainly never be able to make it to the castle, but the family probably needed the draft horses dearly. With a sigh Grace opened the stall door for the smaller of the draft horses. He was a deep brown, with a shiny black tail and mane. He was not nearly as bulky as his counterpart. He even looked at bit thoughtful, more so than the other two horses. He shook his mane as Grace approached and stamped his hoof, neighing slightly.

“Who’s down there?” A voice called from the loft above the stalls. Grace froze.

A young man peered over the edge of the loft. He eyed Grace suspiciously and jumped down, landing a few feet from Grace.

“You wear an executioner’s hood.” He stated, as though Grace was unaware of what she was wearing. Suddenly his eyes lit up with recognition. “Death Dealer.”

Grace nodded, “I need a horse.” She spoke silently, trying to make her voice sound deeper.

“We use Charger there for pulling the cart to the market. He’s fast when he needs to be,” The young man moved past Grace and pulled a tattered old bridle down from a tack near Charger’s stall. He handed it over to Grace.

“Does he have a saddle?”

“No, draft horses aren’t much used for riding, that’s what Rosey is for.” He jerked his thumb toward the nag. “You gonna set things right? You’ve been gone for quite some time. The people needed somewhere who cared about them.”

“I am going to try,” Grace extended her hand, “I will return Charger as soon as I may, Mister…”

“Vincent, name’s Vincent.”

“Thank you, Vincent.” Grace put the bridle on Charger and led him out of the barn. Vincent watched her carefully as she did so.

“Good luck, Death Dealer, you’re gonna need it against the evil men that have sprung up in your absence.”

Grace mounted Charger and thanked Vincent once more before kicking Charger into a gallop.

Riding bareback was never something Grace relished, but if it was the way she must, then so be it. Transporting the armor would prove to be difficult, but she would find a way to manage. Colin had a large blanket, it was nearly a tent, under his dragon saddle, Grace could drape that on Charger’s back and place the armor in front of her as they rode. The going would be slow that way though.

Grace slowed Charger and trotted him into toward Colin. The dragon looked quizzically at the draft horse.

“No saddle, no blanket, how do you expect to transport your armor?” Colin asked.

“I was thinking I could use the blanket beneath your saddle. I can double it as a tent at night and use it as a makeshift saddle during the day.”

“A worthwhile idea, but you would have to hold the armor in front of you if you do that. You surely cannot tie the armor to the blanket, it will fall right off.”

Grace sighed, “Well it is not like I can wear the armor. If someone spotted me on the road, it would give me away.”

“I would offer to fly it, but as we have decided it is too great a risk for me to fly you or your armor anywhere near the castle.” Colin fell silent. Grace slumped to the ground, picking up clumps of dirt to crush in her hand. The dragon sensed her frustration and understood it well. “What if you traveled by night?”

Grace looked up at him, had he struck upon something? “By night?”

“Only thieves and murderers travel these roads by night and if they see you they will take you for a knight of Frederick’s. You can wear the armor and travel as quickly as you please. No one will block the path and anyone who dares attack will most likely fear you. Sleep from sunrise to sunset and it will also help you to get used to wearing the armor.”

Grace got to her feet and smiled. “Of course, that is an excellent idea.”
She moved as quickly as she could to put the armor on, helmet included. It took a good deal of time, but she was ready to finish off the night. A few hours remained before dawn. Grace removed Colin’s saddle and took the blanket off him.

“I can carry the saddle in my talons. Now,” He looked over Grace, satisfied she could go on alone. “I will hide where I can and fly out each night scouting the land, should you find yourself in trouble. I can make no promises of being able to help you, but I will try. Are you ready?”

Grace slung the enormous blanket over Charger’s back. “I can manage now.” She looked up on the dragon and smiled broadly. “You have been a good friend, beyond what I deserve.” She risked offending Colin by wrapping her arms around his thick neck for a hug.

“May the Immortals speed you to victory, so that we may return with great haste to Otanna.” Colin nudged Grace toward the horse. “You must try to cover a great distance tonight, now go and good luck.”

The dragon cocked his head to one side, much like a confused puppy would. “And disobey Corine’s orders? Nonsense.” Colin chose not to tell Grace how he hated Frederick and was willing to aid in his downfall in any way. If it had been up to him, Colin would help Grace free her friend and then lay waste to the castle and the grounds surrounding it.

:D:D:D:D

Mi'lady, your loyal reader is here.

Grace rode on for days. She awoke just before the sunset and she lay down to sleep not long after the sun rose. If she woke during the day she hunted and foraged for food. As she drew closer to the castle in Ursana she heard more people on the road. Or at least when she was alert during the days she did. Grace stayed far away of the road when she was not traveling.

As she traveled on the castle became noticeable. A few days remained before she would reach it, but that was not what worried her. She still had no real plan for saving Jack and nothing had come to her on the road. It wasn’t until she was two days from the castle a stroke of luck came to her.

Many groups were heading toward the castle for the annual tournaments and so Grace left Charger with her things and wandered out to the road. A group of merchants was passing and she did not recognize a single one of them, until Marcus moved past.

She fell into step behind him and with one swift movement she grabbed his shoulders and pushed him off the road.

“Who are you? What do you think you’re doing?” He cried.

Grace clapped a hand over his mouth and turned him toward her, “Tell me you remember me, Marcus.”

“Grace? Grace Hilren? What are you doing back here?”

“News came to me about Jack and I needed to come.” She began to head toward her small camp, “Follow me.”

Marcus trailed Grace. When they were back with Charger Grace rummaged through her bags.

“How can you help Jack? People know you at the castle. Frederick will put you to death. You are a dishonored noble.”

“And what will you do?” Grace asked, continued her search in the bag. “You are the King of Thieves and many know your face.”

“I had designs to turn myself over for Jack’s life.”

“Don’t be daft.” Grace had found what she was searching for and she pulled it out of her bag. To Marcus it looked like a tattered piece of black cloth. “Separately we can do little to save Jack, but if you help me we can save him and ourselves.”

“How can you be so sure?”

Grace threw him the black cloth. Marcus unfolded it and two eye slits were revealed to him. He was unsure what to make of it.

“The Death Dealer hood,” Grace said softly. “You and I. The Death Dealer and King of Thieves, we can save Jack.”

Marcus’s eyes grew large and he stared helplessly at Grace. This young woman, this small woman, the same woman who had such a large heart and brought some amount of love and kindness to the Angel, she was the Death Dealer? How could she manage to keep it a secret for so long? Did Ridley know? Did Jack know? Did anyone know?

Seeing the seriousness in Grace’s face was enough to convince Marcus this needed to be done. Following her was the best option to save Jack Anders from the hangman’s noose.

“What sort of plan do you have in mind?”

The sun was rising. The only reason Jack knew that was because the small strip of light that came into his cell every day was at its smallest and palest. Days had molded together and Jack fell into despair. He was unwashed and unshaven. Unlike the other prisoners he was completely locked away. The walls were stone and the door was a heavy oak with no looking window like the others. His only view of the world beyond was the high barred window he could only look out of if he stood on his latrine bucket.

“I was a knight once,” He said to the rat that came in and out of a small hole in the wall. “The best knight Frederick ever had.”

The rat seemed uninterested so Jack ceased speaking. Jack sat in the corner all day, every day, and watched the strip of light move across the floor. This was no way for him to die.

Keys clinked; someone was there to see him. Probably just the prison guard handing him his food tray. His one and only meal of the day, moldy bread, rotten meat, and stagnant water. The lock clicked and the door opened slowly.

It was not the guard that entered, but a very beautiful woman. Her blond hair was braided and fell down her backside. Her clear blue eyes were cold and unfeeling, though her face showed concern. Her dress was a deep purple and was clearly made from a fine silk.

“Oh Jack dear,” She said, her voice was sweet, but Jack knew even poison could taste delicious. “It grieves me to see you like this.”

“Danielle,” He said weakly, trying to control his anger. “You put me here.”

“Only because my soon to be husband refused to have our marriage until this wrong has been righted.”

“Then our places need to be switched.” Jack slowly rose to his feet. Danielle was so short, he had forgotten. It would be easy to snuff out her life and well worth it. He was already sentenced to death because of her. He may as well make it worth the execution.

“You are the one who stole, Jack.”

“And you are the one that lied. Telling my friends and family, telling my king that I tried to rape you! You forced me to steal and then you took the goods from me and turned me over to the king. I was disgraced.” Jack only had to reach out and take her by the neck, but he restrained himself.

Danielle turned up her nose, “Such vicious lies. You were crazy and I never told you to take from Katherine of Actis, you did it all on your own. Some knight, such chivalry you showed and when I rejected your gift you simply could not be trusted. I had to turn you over on such false accusations because I could see in your eyes you were going to do it.”

Jack slapped Danielle. It was a hard slap, the kind that left a clear red mark for hours. He took her by the shoulders and slammed her against the door so the guard would not be able to force it open easily. The oak slammed and outside the guard began pounding frantically. In Jack’s eyes Danielle saw a rage she had never seen before. It was intense, almost that of a wild animal. In Danielle’s eyes Jack caught a glimpse of himself. He dug his nails deeper into her shoulders and she whimpered.

“I would take you now for you are still a teasing wench like you were so many years ago. But I still have some bit of a gentleman in me and to stoop so low as to rape you is far below me. But I warn you if you come here again with fake pity and lies about our past I will end your life.” Jack released Danielle and opened the door, forcibly pushing her out into the guard.

When Danielle was clear the guard rushed in and beat Jack over the end with the hilt of his sword. Jack fell into unconsciousness and when he woke the strip of light on the floor had disappeared.

Back