Death Dealer series

Chapter Four (conclusion)

The inside of Diggery’s temple was deserted. Grace sat up near the alter and had her head bowed. She certainly needed guidance, especially after her encounter with Jack. How was it possible for one person to get so far under her skin, so quickly? Grace began cursing her choices. Her choices to train like Calvin, her choice to joust in his stead, her choice to come here. What had she done to her life?

Someone sneezed in the back of the temple. Grace lifted her head and looked around. A girl not much older than Ridley was in the back. She was quite tall and had straight black hair that fell well past her shoulders. Her skin was the color of ivory. She was clad in black breeches and a long black riding jacket that was buttoned up, though Grace thought she saw a white shirt underneath. What really caught Grace’s attention were her deep purple eyes.

“I am very sorry to disturb your prayers. I was meeting someone here and it is rare to find others here most of the time.”

Grace smiled and shook her head, “It is no trouble. I was going to leave soon.”

The girl walked up the aisle and slid in next to Grace. “Mind if I join you until you do leave? It’s nice to have company.”

“Please, it is always nice to meet someone new.”

The girl smiled and looked toward the altar. Unlike the temples of Ciro and Kamaria there were no statues of Diggery in human form. Grace had never seen Diggery depicted in human form. She was always shown in the form of a great black wolf. And there on the altar was a statue of a lying black wolf. Someone had been in recently and had adorned it with a wreath of red roses. It seemed to make the wolf more approachable.

“It always makes me wonder why Diggery comes as a wolf,” Grace finally said, “She picks an animal many fear to come and comfort them.”

The girl shrugged, “What the deities do is a mystery to mortals I suppose.” She turned to Grace and held out her hand, “My name is Kitanna by the way.”

“Grace.”

“Are you new to Glenbard?”

“I just arrived this morning.”

“Ah, it is a not as bad as many elsewhere say. I visit here every few years and of most of the port cities I enter this one is nicer. The Thieves Guild keeps murders down because they cannot stand people killing those in the lower classes. Other port cities just let the murderers take control until honest, hard-working people refuse to live there.”

“You have traveled much? You barely look sixteen.”

“My father is a sailor. I used to go port to port with him. Now I travel about on my own. The wandering life can be the good. Though I must admit it is not for everyone. Some think they should travel, but they should really stay in one place and take care of family and friends. But no one knows what is right for them until they try it.”

Someone cleared his voice in the back of the temple. Grace and Kitanna both turned and saw Jack Anders. “Jack, you came.” Kitanna turned back to Grace, “Jack is an old family friend, you could say. I always make it a point to visit him when I am in Glenbard. Come join us Jack.”

“I should be going,” Grace rose from her seat and brushed quickly past Jack. As she reached the door she turned back to Kitanna, “A pleasure meeting you, miss, maybe I will have a chance to see you before you wander on.”

“I am sure we will. Good night, Grace.”

Grace sat on Donald’s bed as he paced the room. No jobs were being offered for a carpenter’s apprentice, but a few merchant ships that sailed to the Nareroc Islands were looking for able bodied men. The Nareroc Islands were famous for their spices and they were located between Cesarnan and the Sun Kingdom, so both countries had claims on various parts of the islands. If Donald took a job on one of the ships it would take him two weeks to sail to the islands, two weeks to help load and gather what was needed, and then two weeks to return home, weather permitting of course. When Donald told her she encouraged him to go, but the former squire was hesitant.

“In Arganis we had Cassandra to protect you, here you only have me. If you were to go out one night and get wounded with your…duty, and I was gone who would help you? Who would take you to the healer?”

“I am capable of watching over myself. You should take a position of one of the merchant ships.”

“They always have spots open for young men on those ships. I have plenty of time to decide. But I’d still rather not. I wouldn’t be able to forgive myself if I left and then something horrible happened to you.”

“Donald, sleep on it. We both know you should take it, just think about it tonight. The answer will come to you and I think you already know what it is.”

Grace wished Donald good night and returned to her own room. She had a big day ahead of her.

“You should not tell anyone what you have guessed about that Grace girl, Jack.” Kitanna said as Jack rose from his seat in the temple. The two had spent the last two hours catching one another up on their lives. Mostly Jack spoke while Kitanna listened. Now at the end he had told her about Grace. “She is a nice person and probably has plenty on her mind. Do not add to her stress.”

“She doesn’t belong here, Kitanna. She’s probably just like all those other women in court. All the ones I knew when I still served under Frederick. Grace should just go to some small farming village, marry, and have babies. It was her path in life when she was still in Arganis, why change it because she’s not in court anymore?”

“You do not know her path,” Kitanna gave him a stern stare, “And you most certainly should not drive her away from Glenbard.”

“I can’t think of a reason why I shouldn’t.”

Jack turned to leave. As usual his yearly visit from Kitanna ended with him in a foul mood. “I can think of a good reason.” Jack stopped and waited for what she would say. “She is not Danielle.”

Jack turned slowly around and met Kitanna’s purple gaze, “What did you say?”

“You think Grace is like Danielle, I can tell without you even mentioning her name. It has been five years, Jack, not all ladies of the court are the same. And look at Grace, already she has proven she is a better person. She has not submitted to her grief like others who have fallen on the same bad luck. She could be your friend, Jack. Do not let your grief and hate consume you like so many before you.”

Jack bowed his head and walked briskly out the temple door. Anger and confusion boiled beneath the surface. He wanted to burst through the doors at the Angel and scream Grace’s secret to everyone inside. But he couldn’t, as the tavern came into sight something held him back.

“Damn,” He muttered under his breath and continued to walk. He headed down to the docks and sat at the water’s edge, just watching the moon travel across the night sky.

Chapter Five: Secrets Revealed

The world was still dark and Grace had dressed in the clothes she had taken from Calvin. She quietly closed her door and tip-toed past Donald’s room and down into the common room. Only Jim was up and about, getting things ready for the tavern’s breakfast.

“Mornin’ Grace,” He said as she moved past his desk, “Let me take you out to meet Mayhew.”

Grace followed Jim Little out to the stables and he led her to an old gray haired man who was starting to bend with age. He eyes Grace with suspicion. “I want a boy to work here!” He snapped at Jim. “This one is too scrawny.”

“No one in Glenbard is going to work for you, so I had to hire a willing stranger,” Jim snapped back, “Besides Miss Hilren here is a good solid worker, you can tell by the honesty in her face.” Jim pushed Grace forward and she slowly extended her hand to Mayhew.

He looked at it has though she were diseased. He pointed to a line of stalls, ten on each side. “Start mucking those out until I tell you to stop or you finish!” He pushed a shovel and a pail into her hands, “Do it now!”

As mid-morning was upon them Grace had thoroughly cleaned five of the twenty stalls. She would have done more except Mayhew was never satisfied with her work so she continually went back to redo them.

Mayhew had gone off to enjoy a mid-morning meal and Grace grumbled as she entered the next stall. The horse in this stall was a proud looking gelding. Grace had never seen a horse so fine in all her years. It had a finely kept brown coat and looked at Grace with thoughtful brown eyes. As she entered his stall the gelding stepped toward her and nuzzled her breast and nipped her shirt, hoping to find food.

She gently patted his muzzle and laughed, “Sorry boy, I do not have anything for you.” The horse didn’t seem to understand and continued to inspect Grace’s clothing for food. “Do you have a name you sweet animal?”

“Pilgrim,” Grace looked over the stall wall and saw Marcus, the man Ridley called the king of the Thieves Guild.

She wasn’t sure how to address him so she bowed her head in respect, “Is he your horse, sir?”

Marcus laughed at Grace’s attempt to flatter him. “You can just call me Marcus, girl, the King of Thieves title is just to scare off rogue thieves. And no, I wish I could claim Pilgrim as mine, but he’s not. That horse belongs to Jack Anders.”

Grace looked over the horse again. How could that be possible?

“Strange I know. How can such a well-mannered horse belong to someone as resentful as Jack? No one really knows. Jack used to be a stable hand for Frederick and this horse must have been a parting gift.”

“I wasn’t just any stable hand; I was King Frederick’s best stable hand. And I was given that horse before he was weaned from his mother. No one expected Pilgrim to grow into the horse he is now, so many are kicking themselves for giving him up.”

“Such a touching tale, Jack,” Marcus clapped him on the back and laughed some more, “But it’s still a marvel that horse didn’t take on your demeanor. It’s so loving and kind, so unlike you.”

“Don’t think I didn’t try to make him mean, Marcus.”

Marcus laughed again, “Whatever you say, Jack.” He bowed his head to Grace, “Enjoy mucking out the rest of the stables here. Do a good job and someday Mayhew may warm up to you.” With that Marcus turned and left.

Grace glared at Jack when Marcus was out of sight. “What do you want?”

“I’m here to make sure nothing happens to my horse. What does a girl like you know about mucking out stalls?”

“You think you are so smart, Jack Anders. You think I am just some stupid girl who was kicked out of court that I cannot take care of myself. I will have you know I am capable of watching over myself and there are plenty in court who did care about me and they are still my friends despite the fact I am been reduced to mucking out stables.”

“Friends that care about you?” Jack laughed and it left Grace feeling cold. “Friends, you say. Tell me then, a pretty thing like yourself, what boy, what friend in court loved you and then left you when you were exiled? What ‘man’ of the court allowed you to be reduced like this?” Grace’s thoughts ran to Tristan and how he acted as she left in shame. Jack picked up on Grace’s thoughts and feelings. “What did he say when you left? What cruel thing did he utter in your ear as you walked by, completely disgraced? What brave knight was he?”

“Sir Tristan of Escion,” Grace choked back tears as Tristan’s name spilled out. She had hoped to be strong and not say anything, but Jack’s words had coxed it out of her.

“Tristan? I knew him. He was like his father, arrogant, selfish.” Jack walked into the stall and circled Grace, “It doesn’t surprise me you were in his sights. And it doesn’t surprise me you returned the attraction. You are just like the rest. Tristan might have married you, but he would have cast you aside like his father threw his mother aside and even how Frederick cast Queen Bethany aside.” Jack stepped closer, “After a few children you would be no more to Tristan than one of his hunting dogs or his horses. But looking at you now I suppose he already sees you as such.”

Grace was speechless; she was in a trance, unsure what to say in response to Jack.

“Jack!” The angry voice of Mayhew cut through and brought Grace from her trance. Her eyes turned into slits as she stared up at Jack. “Jack Anders, that girl has stables to clean and saddles to polish! Leave her alone!”

Jack looked at Grace and waited for her to answer. She took a deep breath and steadied her voice. “Never speak to me again, Jack.”

Two weeks passed quickly in Glenbard. Grace made quick friends with many of the thieves in the Guild. Ridley and Marcus welcomed her into their rather unorthodox family. In time even Donald managed his way into the thief king’s favor. Each day as Grace worked hard to impress Mayhew, Donald went about doing odd jobs here and there. Often times members in the Guild would send him on errands to run fresh bread or fruit to their families or to deliver messages to any ships that were in port. Over dinner Grace and Ridley encouraged Donald to take a position on a trade ship and sail to the Nareroc Islands, he continued to say no, Grace knew why, but Ridley only assumed it was because Donald had fallen in love with a merchant’s daughter or something of the sort.

During the nights Grace went out her bedroom window as the Death Dealer and dealt with rogue thieves and murderers. Rumors quickly spread that the Death Dealer had come to Glenbard and more and more people went to the Temple of Diggery to thank her for protecting them. Ridley began to get delusions of one day meeting the Death Dealer and possibly even marrying him. Grace never tried to change Ridley’s mind, she would just smile as her friend talked about it.

In her two weeks in Glenbard, Grace never spoke to Jack after the incident in the stable. She saw him every day sulking in his corner, but she never went to say anything and he did likewise for her. Grace never told anyone what he had said, many figured she just hated his negative attitude and didn’t try to convince her otherwise. Donald would talk to him every so often, asking how long he was a stable hand and what he thought of the knights who had been there before he left the position.

Things were finally being set right in Grace’s life until one night.

Grace often traveled out of Glenbard to hide along the roadside and wait for troublemakers. The Guild kept the people in the city relatively safe, considering most were family members of those in the Guild. Any trouble that started usually took place on the country road leading to Glenbard. So each night Grace walked a few miles out of town and spent a few hours patrolling about, before returning for sleep.

Tonight Grace was watching and waiting. Two men had a young girl they had kidnapped and they were camped out nearly three miles from the city. Grace would have struck already, but these men were huge and seemed almost too much for her. She would have to wait until one nodded off.

The bigger of the two finally laid out his blankets and went to bed. When he was snoring Grace came up behind his companion. She would have knocked him out successfully except her shadow gave her away.

“Mac, wake up!” Grace panicked and pierced the man with her sword as he reached around to grab her.

The other man was up and angry. “The Death Dealer? Awfully small aren’t you? And I bet you wanted to save this girl.” He looked at the girl who had been sleeping. Her hands were tied and her mouth gagged. “Well, you failed.” The man pulled a knife and Grace lunged at him, but he was faster, the knife pierced the girl’s heart. “It’s just you and me now.”

Grace took a fighting stance and raised her sword. They circled each other. Grace felt she had the advantage with her sword, but she was very wrong. The man was fast for someone so big. He jumped at Grace and grabbed her wrist with his free hand, pulled her close, and took one stab at her.

She twisted away from him, but not quick enough to completely miss his knife. Blood dripped from her side. She used every bit of strength in her and cracked the man upside the head with her sword hilt. She staggered away as he lay motionless by the fire.

Chapter Five (cont.)

Grace had climbed back into Donald’s window and collapsed next to him on his bed. He had quickly risen and lit a few candles. She was there, on her back, bleeding all over his covers.

“I need to get you some help.” Grace still had the Death Dealer hood on.

“No,” She gasped, “No, there is no one! We cannot let Jim or Ridley or even Marcus know about this.”

Cassandra had always had a plan incase Grace was hurt, always had a lie to tell the healers. Donald had no plan or a lie and he was panicking. “I’m going to get someone!”

It was late, only as few people would be in the common room and Donald couldn’t tell Jim. Jim Little was a nice fellow, but he told everyone, everything. If he brought Jim to see Grace now he would know her secret and so would everyone else in Glenbard.

Donald entered the common room. Jim was there and a few people Donald didn’t know. And there in the corner was Jack. Grace hated Jack, but there was no time to find someone else. Donald hurried over, out of breath as he stood before Jack’s table.

“A little late for knight talk don’t you think?”

“Jack, I need your help.” Jack raised his eyebrow. “This is urgent, please?”

“Then have Jim help you.”

“I can’t. Please, there’s no time to get Marcus or Ridley. Just help me, I beg you.”

Jack saw fear in Donald’s face. He had no real desire to help the former squire. Jack met Donald’s eyes and looked at the fear within. He wasn’t entirely sure what could be wrong so late, but he gave in.

“Make this quick, boy.”

Jack opened Donald’s door and saw the figure clad in black with the executioner’s hood lying on the bed. The Death Dealer was wounded and lying in Donald’s bed, Jack barely believed his eyes.

He walked over to the bed and sat beside the figure. He gently removed the hood and auburn locks fell out over the pillow. “Grace?” The girl moaned, but had passed out from blood loss.

Jack removed her jerkin and lifted the black shirt where the wound was. It could be fatal if they didn’t find a healer soon, but Jack wasn’t going to let that happen. He hoped Grace had extra covering on underneath as he ripped the shirt off her. He was relieved to see the girl had bound her chest.

Taking the ripped shirt he tied it around the wound to slow the bleeding. Donald was panicking in the corner and was useless to Grace now. Jack removed his jacket and put it on Grace. He lifted her gently from the bed and carried her to the door.

“Make yourself useful and open the doors for us.”

Donald did as he was told and opened the door so Jack could get out. He followed Jack and opened any other doors that presented a problem.

Grace came too inside the Temple of Kamaria. Though she did not know that when she woke. She was in the back room where the priestesses prepared for the ceremonies to the moon queen. Grace sat up and felt a sharp pain in her side.

She was confused. She was wearing a jacket that didn’t belong to her and her chest bindings had been cut and a she felt under the jacket for the large bandage that had replaced her clothing. Taking a deep breath another pain shot through her.

“The wound was not fatal. Though it could have been if Donald had listened to you.”

Grace’s eyes met the cold-grey ones of Jack. He was leaning on the back wall watching her carefully. “You? You’re the help Donald got?”

“I am afraid so.”

“I suppose I should thank you then.”

“You do not have too, if you don’t want too. I know you’re still angry with me.”

“But you probably just saved my life.”

Jack rolled his eyes. “You don’t need to repay me. I just did what most would have done.”

A thought suddenly occurred to Grace. Jack would have taken her to a healer, what could he have said to explain the wound. Jack seemed to guess her thoughts and smiled at her for the first time since Grace knew him. “The healer here has taken a vow of silence, but no one asked for an explanation, so your little secret is safe.”

"And you? Can I trust you?”

“Does anyone know you were once a countess?”

“No…”

“Then your secret is safe with me.”

Grace swung her legs over the bedside and suddenly felt light headed.

“It is best to stay here and rest.”

“Mayhew will be furious with me if I am not in the stables by sun-up.”

“It’s well best noon now. Donald took over for you, saying you’re too ill to work. As far as anyone is concerned last night Donald and I rushed you to see a healer about a fever and you’re recovering here.”

“Well, I am up now, can I go back to my room?”

Jack sighed, “You can’t walk all the way back there. You have lost way too much blood.” Grace huffed and crossed her arms over her chest and rolled her eyes in annoyance.

Jack let a little chuckle out. He had never met someone so stubborn when it came to excepting help after an injury. Donald had filled him in on the other times Grace had hurt herself and tried simply to walk it off. “If you’re just going to get out of that bed when my back is turned, at least let me help you. I can bring Pilgrim here and you can ride him while I walk him back to the Angel. But only if you promise to go straight to bed when we get back.”

“I suppose I can do that.”

Jack nodded and headed for the door. “Jack,” He turned and caught a smile from Grace, “Thank you.”

“Just don’t tell anyone about me being so nice to you. If anyone asks say I forced you to come back to the tavern and I was absolutely beastly.” Grace was dumbfounded. “I can’t have people thinking I’ve gone soft, can I?”

Grace laughed and shook her head, “No, I suppose you cannot.”

Since there's that two week thing and then this gets deleted I'm bringing this to light since it's going to be a few days until I get an addition up and I'd hate to have to restart this thread.

Chapter Six: Trouble Begins

Grace stayed in her room for the next week based on the orders of Donald. Every night Ridley and Marcus would come up to her with dinner and chat for a bit. Then they would leave so she could rest herself. Donald decided to take the job on the trade ships and sent out already for his first job in the islands. Grace missed him, but knew he’d be back before she even knew he was gone.
Jack was scarce after he returned Grace to the tavern from the temple. It was not until the night Grace planned to rejoin everyone in the common room that Jack finally paid her a visit.

The two had come to a quiet understanding the night Grace was stabbed. Their friendship had limits and both were willing to respect them if the other did as well. So, when jack broke their unspoken agreement and came to see her, Grace was quite surprised.

She had been fixing her hair when Jack knocked and peered his head in, “Hello Jack, please come in.”

Jack slipped in and closed the door. “The tournament is over, the merchants from Glenbard who went to see it and sell their goods have returned. They bring not only profits back, but stories as well. The big story this year is the woman who jousted and was thrown into exile of the court.”

“So? Who really cares?” Grace turned back to her mirror and tried to fix her braids.

Jack firmly took hold of her shoulders and turned her to face him, “Everyone cares, Grace. Jim, Ridley, and even Marcus could still care for you, but not everyone will be so happy to have a former noble walking around Glenbard. Frederick does not care about the lower classes. He makes it clear with his taxes and lack of interest when poor villages in scarcely populated villages are raided. Many in his court are the same and the common folk hate them for it. They hate people like you, Grace.”

Grace saw a flicker of concern in Jack’s eyes as he spoke. “I wouldn’t go into that common room tonight. Tell Ridley privately and see how she reacts, but there could be trouble if you dare enter that room tonight and are recognized. I’m not going to be around to help you.”

“You do not think I can handle myself, do you? You of all people should know I can take care of myself.”

“Take care of yourself? Look at yourself! You’re an ex-noble who’s playing hero. You’ll get yourself killed if you go into that common room tonight!” Jack released Grace and shook his head. He could tell by the way she looked at him she would go down there tonight. He had tried, that was all that mattered. “Have it your own way.”

He stomped across the room and made sure to slam the door as he left. Grace sat and stewed in her anger for a few minutes before deciding it was time to head down for supper in the tavern. Jack was wrong, no one would really care, she was not a noble anymore and now she mucked out stables for a living.

Grace headed into the common room and no one seemed to notice her until Ridley declared her entrance. “Everyone! Grace is on the mend and she’s come to join us!” Those that had known Grace for the last few weeks cheered. A few men were silent and spoke amongst each other.

Finally one stood up as a group of regulars to the tavern went to see Grace. “You cheer this woman? This mere child who once lived in such luxury that we’ll never know?”

“What are you talking about, Van?” Marcus asked from his seat of power by the fireplace, “Grace here mucks out stables for Mayhew.”

“Does she indeed?” The man named Van asked, crossing the tavern floor to look closely at Grace. “This girl was the former countess we were talking about. It is people like her that keep us down!”

Those that had come to wish Grace well backed away from her in disgust and anger. She looked around and so many angry eyes had fallen on her. Eyes that had been happy she was well only moments before. The crowd was a fickle beast.

“Is it true, Grace?” Ridley’s voice came from next to her. She turned and the princess of thieves was not two feet away.

Grace hung her head, “Yes, it is true.”

“She’s not one of ours! Throw her out!” Someone yelled.

“Slit her throat and send back her head to the court! Show them what we do to those who belong there!” Another voice cried out.

Grace caught a glint in her eye and she turned to Ridley. The girl had produced a knife and was holding it out. For a moment she thought Ridley had turned on her as well. “How dare you! You call yourselves men! You would dare to cast out and hurt someone who has become one of ours. Grace Hilren may have been born a countess, but she works like a commoner. And if anyone of you dares to touch her I’ll slice your hands off!”

Ridley moved to Grace’s side and brandished her dagger at the angry mob. She produced a second one from her boot and was prepared for a fight. The crowd began to advance on the women. Marcus rose from his corner and stood on his chair.

“You fools will resort to violence over this? Look what you’re doing, picking a fight with two women. Have you no honor? That dog Frederick spits on us and shows disrespect to a girl with fire and heart and now you all would do the same?”

A few men backed down at the words of Marcus. But many did not. Few seemed to heed the words of their King of Thieves. A giant hand grabbed Grace’s braid and pulled her into him. As that happened Ridley was taken in a frontal assault by Van. Those that were closest to Marcus rushed to Ridley and Grace’s aid, including Jim the innkeeper. Marcus jumped down from his chair and fought to get through the crowds.

Grace elbowed her attacker hard in the stomach and his grip loosened. She was able to pull away, but more were waiting to challenge her. Most involved in the fight had dagger or knives as weapons. In Arganis the weapons master had believed dagger and knife fighting was unrefined and as a knight Calvin would never need it, so it was never taught. Now Grace wished she had learned even a little.

Another man took Grace by the wrist and pulled her into him. “Come on countess, fight back.” Grace kicked with all her might in his shins and was horrified to learn the leg she had just kicked was wooden. She kicked his other shin and he winced for a moment, but did not loosen his grip. He pulled her closer. Grace had never fought dirty in her life. But she knew the weak spots on people and now she didn’t hesitate to kick there. “I’ve never had a countess before.”

“And you will not tonight.” Grace kicked harder than the two times before and made contact in the man’s groin. His face went deathly white and then bright red. He toppled over still gripping Grace’s wrist.

She went down and banged her head on a table as she went. She winced in pain, but was able to get free. Feet moved all about her and any second Grace felt she would find herself under someone’s boot. She closed her eyes and prayed for a miracle.

One strong arm scooped her off the floor and back onto her feet. “You just don’t listen do you?” Grace was never so happy to hear Jack’s voice as she was at that moment. Jack had pulled Grace close and had a sword drawn. But the fighting seemed to die down.

Partly because Jack, famous for his amazing sword skills and his violent temper when provoked, had appeared and partly because another person was at his side with a sword drawn and blood already on the tip. Kitanna had sliced a man who had tackled Ridley and she was prepared to do it again.

Jim Little emerged from the crowd, pulling Van and another man by the collars. “Start a fight in my tavern will you?” He dragged them all the way to the door and threw them into the streets. “Don’t ever come back to the Angel again!”

Marcus appeared with a bruised Ridley at his side. They came straight for Grace, Jack, and Kitanna. Grace was shaking from the adrenaline rush and because she was afraid others would still try to come after her. She also worried if Jack let her go she’d simply sink into the floor. Jim also joined them.

“Everyone alright?” The innkeeper looked around, a few broken plates, some knocked over tables and chairs, but nothing the Angel Tavern hadn’t seen before.

“A bit bruised it looks like,” Marcus said, taking stock of the injuries. Ridley’s left hand had been nicked and there was a large red mark swelling on her cheek. Grace’s head throbbed and a similar red mark was forming on her forehead. Tomorrow she and Ridley would have impressive bruises.

“We’re lucky you came along when you did, Jack.” Jim nodded to Jack and Kitanna. “And you as well, young lady.”

Grace sighed, “I think I need to go out for some air.”

“I’ll go with you,” Kitanna said, “This is not the time to be walking about alone.”

Chapter Six (cont.)

At first Kitanna and Grace did not speak. They just walked side by side toward the docks. When they reached the end of one of the piers Grace sat down and looked at the dark waters. Kitanna sat beside her.

“Maybe everyone is right and I do not belong here.”

“No? You certainly have made a name for yourself though. And where would you go if not here?”

“You have traveled this world, where do you suggest?”

Kitanna’s purple eyes glinted in the moonlight and she stared thoughtfully upon Grace. There was a deep wisdom hidden in the young face and Grace wondered how someone so young had obtained it.

“If you wish to go somewhere where outcasts are welcome I suggest Sera. Refugees from many countries have found their way there to seek refuse from the harsh realities of this world. Or if you want to go where women are more respected I say head for the Sun Kingdom. Some of King Christian’s most trusted advisors are women and in the provinces of Panderas and Nafing women are allowed to serve the army.”

“What about Otanna? Have you ever been there?”

“For you I suggest Otanna more than any other place. You are strong and defiant; you could be well accepted there. But if you really want to know what I think, you should stay in Cesarnan for a while. It is your home after all and think of all the friends you would be leaving behind if you left.”

“Maybe you are right, but it seems rather useless to stay. Half of Glenbard hates me as it is.”

“That’s not true and even if it is there are those who will let no harm come to you. Come on now, you should get back to the Angel. You start mucking out stables tomorrow, do you not?”

“Yes.” Kitanna got to her feet and helped Grace up.

They walked sharing a few pleasant words about the weather and this and that. Kitanna took Grace up to her room to bid her farewell. She was heading out in the morning to the Nareroc Islands.

A fire was burning in the fireplace when Grace returned. On her nightstand an ornate dagger had been stabbed into the wood. There was strange script and symbols on the blade and dragon’s head on the handle with two ruby jewels as the eyes. She pulled it from the wood and handed it over to Kitanna.

“Recognize the symbols at all?”

“This is from Escion, do you know anyone from that province?”

Grace’s thoughts went straight to Tristan, but she could not believe he had left her a dagger. There was a small piece of parchment paper where the dagger was. Grace picked it up and read.

Learn to use it or death will surely find you. Swordplay is no longer useful when fighting the damned.

Kitanna looked over Grace’s shoulder. “It appears someone from Escion witnessed the fight this evening and wishes you well. Jack tells me that girl Ridley is quite good with knife play, perhaps you should see her about learning some yourself. Well, good-night and good luck Grace. I could be gone months, weeks, I am not sure when I will find my way back into Cesarnan, but I have many to see here. Until next we meet.” Kitanna and Grace bowed to one another and the wandered disappeared out the door, leaving Grace alone to ponder the riddle of the dagger.

“You’ve been gone a week and you’ve gone soft from sickness!” Mayhew snapped as Grace dropped a large wooden bucket full of water.

Her injury from the knife was flaring up and pain shot up her side as she tried to lift the bucket. It hadn’t been the first thing Grace had dropped and it was not even noon yet. Her head throbbed from the night before and her Death Dealer wound had not fully healed.

“I am sorry, Master Mayhew,” she said and picked the bucket up again and headed to fill it with water once more.

“No! I won’t have you dropping another bucket! There’s a new patron at the Angel, arrived a while back, while you were piddling away with the water. Unsaddle his horse and brush it down, he paid me handsomely to make sure his horse is well looked after. Now get to it!”

Grace wasted no time and went straight to the stall Mayhew pointed her toward. A large grey stallion was waiting to be handled. He was a massive horse and stamped his foot angrily as Grace came near him. The stallion snapped angrily as Grace reached up to undo his bridle. She thought this horse was better suited to Jack’s personality than the well-mannered Pilgrim in the next stall.

“Easy boy,” Grace slowly reached up and unhooked the bridle and slipped it carefully from the horse’s head. He glared at her with angry eyes and shook his mane furiously when the bridle was off.

The last thing Grace needed was to be kicked by the angry beast. So with great care and caution she began working on the saddle. Pilgrim put his head over the stall wall and sniffed at the new stallion. The horse did not take kindly to it and neighed wildly and snapped at poor Pilgrim. Jack’s horse and Grace both jumped back. When Grace jumped back the saddle was only half off.

Now it slid around on the horse back and the saddle part was underneath him. She sighed heavily and with caution once more attempted to get the saddle off. This time all the beast did was stamped his front hoofs angrily. Finally Grace slid the saddle off and slung it over the stall wall. She was not looking forward to brushing the stallion down.

Mayhew came over. “What’s the damn commotion over here?”

“I am sorry, sir, this horse is ill-tempered and is snapping at everything I do.”

Mayhew handed Grace a brush, “Brush him down and let me see.”

With soft, slow steps Grace approached the horse once more. It was perfectly still, it was waiting for something. Mayhew watched as Grace brushed the horse down. At first he thought the girl was lying, but suddenly the horse swung his head around and snapped at Grace. She jumped out of the way in time to miss his powerful teeth.

“Get out of the stall girl.” Mayhew yanked the brush from Grace. “I won’t have you out sick again because that beast kicks you. You make sure the other horses have water and food and then go get some lunch yourself, I’ll finish with this demon horse.”

Grace dragged herself into the common room of the Angel. She carried a plate from the cook and slumped down at Jack’s usual table.

“Tough morning with Mayhew?” Jack pulled his pipe from his mouth and blew out a smoke ring.

“Tough day with some newcomer’s horse. It was the most ill-tempered thing I have ever met.”

“You must be talking about that man then,” Jack pointed the end of his pipe toward a burly man talking to Marcus.

Grace looked over her shoulder and gasped when she caught a glimpse of the stranger’s face. She quickly turned back to Jack and took in a few deep breaths. “It is him, Jack,” She whispered.

“Him who?”

“The man who stabbed me.”

Jack looked at the man again, “Are you sure?”

“Positive. What is he doing here? Who is he?”

“I cannot answer those questions for you. It’s best to just ask Marcus when you have the chance. Don’t worry though; he won’t recognize you, even though you recognize him.”

“That does not matter. He kidnapped a girl and killed her in cold blood and then wounded me, I have to know who he is.”

“Don’t go looking for trouble, Grace. He bested you once. He can probably do it again.”

Grace ignored her hungry and Jack’s warning and rose from her seat. She slowly crossed the room to stand before Marcus.

“Ah, and who is this lovely thing, Marcus? You keepin’ her a secret from me, want her all to yourself do you?”

“Mac Cooper allow me to introduce Grace Hilren. Grace this is Mac, a member of the Thieves Guild, he watches my interests elsewhere in Cesarnan.”

Grace could not believe this man was in the Guild. Guild members didn’t kidnap and kill helpless women for no reason on the side of the road.

Mac rose and took Grace by the hand and kissed it, “A pleasure to find someone so beautiful waiting in Glenbard for my return. Marcus you didn’t have to get me such a present.”

Grace turned her head and saw Jack was watching intently from his corner. She slowly pulled her hand away from Mac and took a few steps back.

“Grace mucks out the stables for Mayhew. She’s no present of yours, Mac.” Marcus laughed, “But if you’ll excuse us Grace, we have business that needs tending too.”

Grace bowed to the King of Thieves and walked back to Jack’s table.

Chapter Six (cont.)

That evening before going to dinner, Grace asked Ridley to show her a bit of knife play. Ridley was like a demon possessed with her daggers. Grace was impressed with how she handled them and how she managed to hit the target’s bull’s-eye when she threw. Grace tried hard to keep up with Ridley, but she was too used to the sword techniques she had been taught in Arganis.

After an hour of trying to keep up with Ridley, the teenager called a halt. “Grace, keep lower to the ground, you aim so high. This isn’t like sword fighting; this is more of a hit and dodge type fighting. But if you really want to learn meet me out here every night before dinner and we’ll practice. I’m starving now though, so let’s go in and get some dinner.”

“Let us eat down on the pier. We can ask Jim to wrap us up some supper.”

“What’s wrong with the common room?”

“If you join me down on the pier, I can explain.” Grace didn’t want to express her distrust of Mac until she was far away from the ears of the Angel.

Ridley was finishing off the flagon of wine and still Grace had yet to tell her anything. Grace had been oddly evasion of Ridley’s questions. The princess of thieves was wondering what had come over her friend.

Finally Grace opened up, “What can you tell me about, Mac?”

“Mac Cooper? What’s he got to do with anything?”

“I am not sure I trust him that is all.”

“No one trusts him. Marcus sent him abroad to get him away from Glenbard and Marc’s claim as king. Marcus tries to make it seem as though he trust him, but he’s weary of Mac. And no one else can even stand Mac. But no one speaks openly of it; most of the Guild thinks Marcus and Mac are good friends. I know the truth and so do a few of Marcus’s closest allies. Now everyone is on their toes that Mac’s returned.”

“Why is he back?”

Ridley looked around and lowered her voice. She drew closer to Grace. “This is being kept extremely quiet, but Marcus’s cousin was kidnapped a while back. He contacted Mac to see if he knew anything and Mac was on his way here to report his findings. But about a week ago Mac found the girl dead on the side of the road and she was next to a man. Mac believes the Death Dealer killed the man after he killed Marcus’s cousin. Marcus is very distressed, but he’s trying not to let it show.”

Grace put her head down. She had doomed the cousin of Marcus to death by trying to help her. “I think Mac is lying.”

“I think you’re right, but Marcus believes him on this, Mac showed Marcus the bodies. I think there’s more to this tale than Mac is letting us know. No one is speaking openly of this, a few around the inn know. You can’t let anyone else know.”

“My lips are sealed. So, what are you going to do about Mac?”

“Nothing yet, just hope he leaves soon. Stay away from Mac, he’s trouble and make no mistake.”

“I have no intention of being near Mac.”

“Maybe not, but trouble seems to find you.”

Grace stayed away from the common room of the Angel for a few days. She worked hard to stay out of sight as she mucked out the stalls and at night her and Ridley went down to the pier to eat and practice. Though Grace tried to stay out of trouble a few regulars at the inn still glared at her when she brushed through to her room at night. For the most part she was trusted because Marcus didn’t mind her being a former noble, but a few still held a grudge to the fact.

Also she felt strong enough to return to being the Death Dealer, but there was little trouble on the roads. The festival for Ciro was fast approaching and most people kept the peace around that time, it was like that all over Cesarnan. So Grace’s days were filled with hiding from Mac and other angry patrons of the Angel and her nights were spent wandering as the Death Dealer with no one about to catch. But despite all her trying, Grace couldn’t stay out of trouble for long.

Hammer, Mac’s ill-tempered horse, and Mac had just returned from an early morning ride. Mac handed the reigns over to Grace, “He needs looking after.”

Mayhew had gone in for an early lunch and Grace hated the idea of looking after Hammer. Mayhew usually did it these days because he didn’t want Grace out wounded again. Now it had to be Grace who unsaddled and brushed down Hammer.

Mac stood by watching as Grace went into the stall. Hammer was waiting for her to unhook the bridle. Grace looked around for a sympathetic face and the only one she found was that of Pilgrim’s. The gelding was often tortured by nipping from Hammer and he fully understood what Grace was feeling.

Reaching out for the bridle Hammer neighed furiously and snapped at her. Grace drew her hands back and stepped against the stall door. “My horse needs looking after now.” Grace could hear fury behind Mac’s words, even though she could not see his expression.

“Sir, your horse hates me. Perhaps it would be best if I went to fetch Master Mayhew.”

Grace reached behind her to feel for the door to push it open and get out of the stall. Mac grabbed her by the wrist and spun her around. “You do it!” His breath reeked of whiskey and his eyes blazed with fury. Mac let her go and pushed her backwards toward Hammer.

Grace sucked up her courage and with shaking hands reached once more for the bridle. Hammer snorted and stamped his hoof. She closed her eyes and managed to get the bridle off without the beast snapped at her. Pilgrim twitched nervously in his own stall and looked past Grace and Mac to the door that led into the Angel. He whinnied and hung his head.

“Now the saddle.”

“Please sir, let me get Mayhew. He is much better at taming your horse than I.”

“I told you to do it.”

Sighing she moved around Hammer and tried to unhook his saddle. The horse snorted and snapped at Grace’s fingers, almost getting a hold of one. She pushed herself against the wall and felt her heart banging inside her chest. She looked over at Mac and met his glaring eyes. “Please sir.”

“Afraid of his biting are you? Here’s somethin’ to be afraid of.” Mac whistled a high trill that Calvin used to use to call the hounds in.

Chapter Six (conclusion)

Hammer’s ears flattened and he seemed to go mad at the noise. He kicked angrily at the door and swung his head back and forth. He kicked out his back hoofs angrily and neighed loudly. It was all to close for comfort. Mac whistled again and Hammer continued his protest to the noise.

“Try to unsaddle him now!”

Pilgrim neighed loudly in his own protest as did a few other horses. Grace was afraid to turn her back to the raging Hammer, but she was even more terrified no too. She quickly turned and found a foothold in the wood of the wall and flung herself over into Pilgrim’s stall. She landed on her right knee in something that hadn’t yet been mucked out.

Springing to her feet she glared at Mac. “You could have gotten me killed!”

She left Pilgrim’s stall and stood before Mac. Grace was much smaller in comparison, but she puffed out her chest and drew her shoulders back. Mac looked down at her and laughed. Angry at what he had done and hurt by the laugh, Grace drew a fist and hauled off and stopped Mac’s laugh with one punch.

Clearly it was harder than he expected from her, but it barely knocked the wind out of him. She went in for another punch and Mac caught her fist this time. He twisted it back, but Grace refused to cry out in pain. Soon he would break it. Grace kept her glaring eyes on him though, fighting back the tears and the scream.

“Trying to be brave?” Mac released her and took a more direct road to making Grace hurt. Grace could not even react as Mac’s fist made contact with her face. She remembered seeing it come at her and then she remember the blood rushing down her face. Still, she refused to cry out. Pilgrim did that for her. The gelding was kicking his stall door to get at Mac.

“It’s not polite to strike a lady.” Jack’s calm voice came from near the door to the Angel.

“I know you loner and this is none of your concern. I’m simply disciplining Mayhew’s stable wench.”

“Disciplining her in what? The proper care of a mad horse owned by a drunken thief?”

“Jack,” Grace was holding her bleeding nose and staggering forward, “I can handle him.” She could not let Mac best her again and with her eyes she pleaded with Jack to understand.

Jack knew what Grace was doing. She had told him one morning over breakfast that she planned to get Mac and beat him. Jack had little faith in her. Mac was huge. Jack was considered tall, but Mac was at least a head larger than he. There was no hope of Grace beating him, especially in a fist fight.

“Shut up, girl!” Mac prepared to reach around for Grace, but Jack threw all his weight into a tackle.

With Jack’s action Grace growled angrily and stormed from the stables. She didn’t care how their fight ended, all that mattered was Jack didn’t believe she could take care of herself.

“Grace, where are you going?” Ridley asked as Grace stormed through the Angel.

“I do not know, but I may need your horse.” She flew up the stairs and into her room, slamming the door behind her.

She grabbed at all her belongings, throwing them into her bag. A few minutes passed and without warning Jack flung the door open and slammed it behind him. “Are you out of your mind?”

“You have absolutely no faith in me!” Grace shrieked. She lowered her voice for the next part. “You know I am the Death Dealer and you know I have fought plenty of men and I have jousted against a knight and won! Yet you think I need your help around every turn!”

“You’re not a knight! You’re not a fighter! You’re a girl, a girl who has these crazy ideas about heroism and justice. Come out of your dream world, Grace! You’re not a bloody countess anymore! You can’t be stubborn and expect to get your way anymore.”

“You think all nobles are alike! I bet you were the worst stable boy for the king! That is why you are so bitter! Nobles probably hated you and so you were kicked out of the castle! Well do not take it out on me!”

“Don’t even talk of things you don’t understand! I was the best damn thing to happen to the court! Until a conniving woman just like you ruined it all for me! She took my life from me and you’re about to do the same!”

“How dare you blame me for your problems.” Grace dropped her voice and turned her eyes into slits. “I have tried to be nice to you and you have just been bitter and resentful and you have treated me like a child. Now you dare to blame me for your own personal problems. Why don’t you go back to your corner and your pint and drown out your sorrows like you always do? I will leave and let you ruin your own life! But clearly that other woman had the right idea! How can anyone care for you?”

In his fury Jack let out an almost primal yell and punched the wall. It looked as though his fist was about to go through. Thankfully it didn’t, but it left an impressive dent.

“Run away like a coward, then! Ensnare some poor fool and ruin his life!”

Grace threw her bag over her shoulder and threw open her door. Jack clenched his fists and sat on the edge of the bed. He put his head in his hands and moaned.

“What have I done?”

Ridley was in stables waiting for Grace with Marcus. “I am sorry about all this, but I have to get out of Glenbard for a while. Can I ride Jewel?”

“I’m afraid not, Grace, but if you’re serious Marcus and I will take you to the market and get you a good price for a horse there.”

“I am serious.”

“Come on then,” Marcus said and lead the girls from the stables.

There were plenty of horses to choose from. Grace wandered around a bit looking for one that seemed to fit her. At first it seemed like none did, but finally she came upon a copper colored mare. She had a look much like the solemn demeanor of Pilgrim.

“This one.”

“A fine one, miss.” The horse master said. “Twenty pieces of gold, five extra for bridle and saddle.”

Marcus leaned over and whispered in Grace’s ear, “Give me your gold and I’ll get you a better deal.” Grace handed Marcus her money and looked over the horse as the men haggled.

“She is wonderful to look at.” Ridley said, petting the mare’s flanks. “What will you name her?”

“I am not sure. I will see if she has a name already, though.”

The mare nuzzled Grace’s chest and the girl smiled. After a few minutes Marcus returned with the horse master. “I got her for you for fifteen pieces, bridle and saddle included.” Marcus tossed back her pouch. “She’s all yours.”

Grace looked at the horse master. “Does she have a name?”

“Nay, that one is just three years old and has had one master, the man who broke her. He never mentioned any name to me.”

Grace looked into the animal’s eyes. She ran her hand softly down her muzzle and thought about a good name. “Olwen,” She finally said. “I think Olwen shall be her name.”

The horse master threw a blanket over Olwen’s back and saddled and bridled her for Grace, while she said her good-byes to Ridley and Marcus.

“I wish you wouldn’t do this so rashly.”

“I must agree with Ridley, Grace. Mac and Jack and the rest who judge you for being a noble are only a few people. So many have come to love you around the Angel. Even old Mayhew is warming up.”

“I will not be gone for more than a few months. I just need to go, before I do something stupid regarding Jack or that brute Mac. I promise to send word as soon as I end up somewhere and I will be back. But I never let myself think about how my life has changed in so short a time and now with Donald gone I am feeling it more and more.”

Ridley hugged Grace. “Take care of yourself on the road and don’t worry, everything will be better when you return.”

Marcus patted her on the shoulder and smiled down at her. “We don’t judge you and there are plenty out there you won’t. Hurry back to us, Grace.”

Grace mounted Olwen and waved good-bye to her friends. She took the southern road from Glenbard and didn’t look back.

Chapter Seven: Egona and Jack

Grace,
I admire your courage and fortitude. It is rare to see a woman of the court think for herself and though King Frederick and many others wish to punish such bravery, I think it should be rewarded. You bet a prince in the joust and you did it fairly, do not think for a moment that I believe those claims of witchcraft. I am sure your cousin has made sure you know you are welcomed in Arganis, but allow me to extend my home to you as well. The province of Egona is ever open to you, regardless of your title in this world.
Your friend and ally in these troubled times,
Henry

On her first night on the road Grace had read Henry’s letter from the day she was sent into exile. She then resolved to make for his castle in Egona. It was a week’s journey from the border of Ursana and now here it was. The path Grace was on lead straight to Henry’s grounds. The sun was beginning to set and at the steady walking pace Olwen was moving at Grace would not make it before the sun went down and the gates were closed for the night.

“Come on, girl. You know you want warm mash tonight and I would rather not sleep on a tree root.” Grace gently kicked Olwen’s sides and the horse began to trot. Grace nudged her on into a canter and then finally into a gallop.

The two flew through the gates and Grace pulled her horse to a stop. Olwen panted underneath her and Grace patted her lovingly on the neck. A servant from the horse came out and eyed Grace with suspicion.

“Who are you?”

“My name is Grace Hilren. I have come to see Count Henry.”

The servant looked over Grace and her attire. She was dressed in the travel stained breeches she had worn on her journey from Frederick’s castle in Ursana. “I will see if the master of this house is seeing anyone at present.”

Grace was left alone in the courtyard. She slipped out of her saddle and dug for a sugar lump in her pockets. Olwen gladly accepted it and nibbled at Grace’s pockets, looking for more. The sun was failing fast and it seemed to take forever. Finally the doors to the castle opened and the portly figure of Henry emerged.

He ran as fast as he could and lifted Grace up into a great hug. “What a wonderful surprise!”

“Henry, it is so wonderful to see you again!”

“Someone, take the lady’s horse and stable it.”

A stable boy, barely thirteen years of age, rushed from the stables and took Olwen by the reigns. He bowed to Grace and Henry, “Yes my lord.”

“Oh, I can take care of my horse myself, Henry.”

“Nonsense, you are a guest in this house and you will be treated as such. Now you must be tired and hungry. I shall see what supper is available to you and then I will have a bath drawn.”

“And it will be off to bed with me, I am afraid.”

“As you wish, Grace.”

The next morning Grace wrote a lengthy letter to Calvin and Cassandra and one of Henry’s messengers was sent to Arganis to deliver it. Then she composed one for Ridley and Marcus letting them know she had gone to Egona and was staying with the count there.

She learned a great deal from Henry about the tournament after she had left. Calvin was offered the chance to joust against Prince Drake, but due to his injury he forfeited and withdrew from the rest of the tournament. Many gossiped about Grace after the incident and Calvin, Henry, and even Drake were her main defenders, though no one could ever get Drake to say why. Most believed Grace had been practicing witchcraft or at least that is what they said. Tristan had been the one to speak out against her the most and when Grace heard it, it still hurt a great deal.

Grace told Henry she had been holed up in Glenbard working as a stable girl, but she avoided telling him why she had run off. She simply said she had left unexpectedly to get away. Henry never pried. He figured she would tell him when she was ready. She gladly told him about Ridley, leaving out the princess of thieves part.

Over a week passed and Grace had plenty of time to grieve over her lost life at court and her lost friends such as Calvin and Cassandra. Of course she still found time to feel horrible about what had happened between herself and Tristan. She also thought about her rash decision to run off from Glenbard. It had been Jack and even a bit of Mac. She wanted to confront Mac again, but she wanted to beat him the next time. She couldn’t beat him if every few days she encountered him and never had a chance to improve her skills. And Jack, Jack had simply hurt her and her pride by thinking she was incapable of anything because she had once been a member of the king’s court. She hoped she’d never have to face Jack again. He was just one big pain in her side.

It had been almost two weeks since Grace’s arrival and the weather had been fair. Henry took her out riding and hunting. He even showed her some sword play and knife play she could use to protect herself. But today the rain was coming down in buckets and lightening streaked across the sky.

Grace felt a gloomy feeling and all her mistakes of the last few months weighed down on her. Her mood felt the weather outside. She sat across from Henry, eating breakfast, and he seemed his usual jovial self.

“Are you content with your life here, Henry?” She blurted out between one of her bites of porridge.

Henry was startled by Grace’s question. She avoided talking about her own life’s contentment. She stuck to facts when she told Henry about how she was fairing these days. Henry knew she just wasn’t ready to say how she really felt.

“Content? I daresay I am. I have seen wars and I have been a knight for many long years. I have sailed to different countries and fought to protect this land. I was married and though my dear wife has passed on, leaving no heir, I am happy to have married and loved her for so long. I would say that qualifies as content.” Grace nodded and forced a weak smile. “The question is, are you?”

“I am not sure these days. I was happy for a while in Glenbard, but it was short lived. A few people hate me now that they know I am a noble in exile and they wish to see my head on a pike as a warning to other nobles. And there are people who constantly cause me trouble, even when they are trying to help.”

“I see, but it can pass, Grace. If you like living in Glenbard you should return some day. I would love you to stay here with me, but I do not think it is what you want.”

“Henry you have been a good friend to me despite everything and I wish I could stay, but I know one day before long I should head back, but I am not sure how my return is going to be taken.”

“It sounds like Marcus, Ridley, and Jim all would like to see you come back.”

“But there is someone else and I do not think he will be so happy. He is the reason I left. He was a bitter, resentful man who used to be a stable boy for Frederick. Perhaps you know him, he says he was the best the king ever had, and though some how I doubt it. He said a woman of the court ruined his life and I was just like her and I was ruining his life.” Henry raised an eyebrow and waited for Grace to give him the name. “Do you know him, Jack Anders?”

Any sign of a smile washed away from Henry’s face. He stared at Grace, his mouth gaping open like a newly caught fish. “You said Jack Anders?” Grace nodded slowly. Not sure what the name could possibly mean to Henry. “He told you he was the king’s best stable boy?”

“He said he was the best thing that ever happened to the court.”

“Jack was not lying about that. But he really told you he was a stable boy? Oh Jack,” Henry shook his head and groaned a little.

“He was not a stable boy, then?”

“Jack was no stable boy. Though I am not surprised he lied to you or that you could not tell who he really was. He is nothing like his father or his brother, but I had no idea he was still around Glenbard. I would have gone to see him if I had known.” Henry was now talking more to himself than Grace.

“Henry.”

“Grace, Jack Anders is Tristan of Escion’s older brother.”

Chapter Seven (cont.)

As summer came to a close and the days became shorter the people across Cesarnan would gather in temples of Ciro to bid the Sun King farewell for the winter. A week long festival was held in his honor and now the last day of the festival drew to a close. The moon would still rise and the sun would not be out as long as during the summer months.

Grace had been gone almost two weeks and missed the festival in Glenbard, though she was celebrating it with Henry in Egona. Ridley sat next to Marcus in the Temple of Ciro and listened to the priest drone on. She could have cared less, she was only thinking of what to say to Jack, who was seated in front of her.

The princess of thieves was still angry at Jack for driving Grace away. Grace had been the only girl close to Ridley’s age to hang around the Angel in many years and now she was gone.

“You should be ashamed of yourself,” Ridley hissed in Jack’s ear.

She couldn’t see his face, but she knew he was rolling his eyes. He turned his head a bit and she caught his profile. “Will you let it die already? Grace is gone and you harping me is not going to bring her back.”

“You could go to Egona and apologize. You know she’s there, her note said as much. You were a stable boy for the king; surely you know this Count Henry and can get in to see Grace.”

“You want me to ride to Egona and apologize? You want me to take the time and energy to go there, when I’m sure Grace is going to return any day now. She wouldn’t run off and leave Donald and he’s due back very soon. She’ll be back.”

“But for how long? If she’s angry at you she may come and go again after she’s seen Donald.”

Jack sighed. He wanted to go see Grace. He wanted to make amends, but he didn’t want others to know. Luckily for him Ridley had been on his case since Grace left and even if he hadn’t wanted to see Grace he would do anything to get Ridley to shut up. “Is that what it will take? If I leave in the morning for Egona, will you shut up?”

“Of course, but I want proof. Have Grace write a note so if she doesn’t return we know you tried.”

“Fine, if you’ll let it go.”

“Agreed.”

Grace sat by the fire and Henry paced around his study. The two had moved from the dining room to the study to avoid any interruptions from the servants. Grace fidgeted in her seat, anxious to hear what Henry had to say.

“Jack was King Frederick’s best knight. Even Benjamin of Salatia could not best him. And he was nothing like his father or brother. You have met them both, Tristan’s father is like Frederick and refuses to comprise and follows anything the king says even if it is folly. He keeps several mistresses and his poor wife lives in misery. Tristan is following close in his footsteps, and it grieved me to know he set his sights on you.

“But Jack, Jack was far nobler than that. He was the apple of his mother’s eye and he felt women had more of a place in the world than bearing children. I was glad to know Prince Drake looked up to Jack. And there is hope that Drake will not turn out like his father and Jack can return to court, if he wishes it. However Jack was cast out in such disgrace. No one even speaks of him anymore, unless it is behind closed doors and far from certain ears.”

“What happened to him? Why was he cast out?”

“The Lady Danielle of Archon. Jack fell in love as soon as he laid eyes on her. When Jack was about twenty, still naïve in the ways of love and the world, she came from Archon with many lords to celebrate the fiftieth birthday of Frederick. Jack did everything to win her heart and she barely glanced his way. Until she found some wicked use for him and his willing heart.

“Danielle longed for a very precious piece of jewelry that was owned by Katherine of Actis. She begged Jack to steal it for her along with a great deal of money and then she promised they could run away together. Blinded by his love, Jack did the unthinkable. He stole from Katherine and presented the jewels and gold to Danielle.

“She took them, but refused to run, saying Jack was ‘just a silly boy’. He was hurt and confused by her actions and begged her to keep her promise, proclaiming his love and telling her it would kill him if she did not marry him. Still Danielle refused. Jack shook her by her shoulders and continued to beg. She just sent him away.

“Later that night the guards came to arrest poor Jack. Danielle claimed he had stolen the jewelry and tried to buy her with it and when that failed he had raped her. Other lords have raped poor peasant girls, but the fact one had gone after a noble woman was appalling. Those from Archon demanded Jack be killed right away, but Frederick hated to waste Jack’s life, knowing how good he was in battle.

“So I spoke on Jack’s behalf, begging people to listen to reason. I knew Jack would never commit such crimes and many others did too, but no one spoke up. Jack did not even bother to defend himself. Finally Frederick released Jack from the court and he was stripped of his inheritance and his claim to Escion. His own father would not have cared if he had been killed.

“Jack begged to be killed, saying he could not live in such a world as this. But Frederick felt it was more of a punishment to send him away. Jack’s mother stayed in contact with him, as did I. We would sometimes go in disguise to see him in Glenbard or wherever he was. That was all five years ago and we have not heard from him for over two years now. I was beginning to think he had left Cesarnan altogether. I must send word to his mother; it will warm her heart to know her eldest son is alive.”

Grace hung her head. She had judged Jack so harshly and he had suffered more than she. Henry let her sit in silence for a few minutes. He guessed her thoughts and hoped she would not be too hard on herself.

“I should return to Glenbard and make amends.”

“I hope you stay a while longer here. At least a week or so more. I enjoy your company and I would hate to loose the companionship you have brought here.”

“I must sleep on it I suppose. Besides there is no going out today in this weather.”

Chapter Seven (conclusion)

Grace awoke the next morning to find that Henry had gone. A servant had informed her that the master of the house had gone on an errand and would be gone some days, but he requested Grace stay and wait for him to return. She wanted to return to Glenbard, but she had to thank Henry for his kindness first, so she was going to have to find ways to keep herself busy until he returned.

On the morning of Henry’s fourth day away from his castle in Egona he spotted another rider on the road. He had seen no one yet and he missed a friendly face and a nice chat. He had packed for a journey and saddled his horse well before sunrise four days before. He wanted to be off toward Glenbard before Grace was awake. He needed to see Jack alone. Now he took the road alone and wished he had remembered a bed roll.

The other rider stopped his horse and watched Henry. There was something familiar in about the scene, but Henry could not quite place it. The horse and rider were too far away to make anything out.

“Hello there fellow traveler, any news of the road ahead?”

The rider laughed and began to trot his horse forward. “As I live and breathe, Henry of Egona.”

“Jack Anders!” Henry kicked his horse into a trot. “And Pilgrim, old boy.”

Jack stopped Pilgrim and smiled at Henry.

“I see Pilgrim is well-taken care of. He really was the king’s finest; too bad he did not show it as a colt. He would probably be Drake’s horse by now if he had not been such a scrawny handful as a colt.” Henry looked on Jack and saw the same knight he knew five years ago. Such honor and renown suited Jack. “I am happy to see you, boy.”

Henry turned his horse back toward Egona and Jack rode alongside him.

“What brings you on this road?”

“I think you know.”

“I am surprised. Ever since leaving us at the court you have not been one to go trying to make amends with anyone. What makes you come this time?”

“Who said anything about trying to make amends?”

“You are not fooling me, Jack.”

Jack shrugged. What good was it to lie to Henry? He always saw right through it. “I think this time an apology is in order. I’ve been wrong every step of the way with Grace.”

“It is not your fault, entirely. You were hurt by a woman of the court and I will not argue most women in court are the same. I thought Grace was as well at first glance, but I know better now.”

“She really isn’t. Jousting as a knight, there’s a step of great courage. And to think if Count Daniel was alive she would never even know how to handle a sword.”

“Do not speak of that to her. She remembers her father as a noble man, not a close minded brute. I know better than anyone that Grace’s father would never have let her learn to use a weapon even if her life depended on the ability to protect herself. He would rather have her killed than wield a sword. I have been thankful that Leon has more sense than his older brother and made sure Grace could defend herself. It is best to let her keep her memory of her father.”

“Perhaps,” Jack fell silent. He was thinking of his own father now. It had crushed him to learn just what kind of a man he was and Jack had refused to turn out like him. Tristan idolized him, despite all the things he did to their mother and Jack hated Tristan and his father for it.

“It is all in the past, Jack.” Henry thought Jack was thinking about his being cast out of the court. “I know you have wished for death these past five years, but life is still worth living.”

“I don’t wish to die anymore, Henry.”

“Is that so?”

“I never thought I would have a reason to live after Danielle, but I think I’ve found one now.”

“It would ease my heart if that were true, but come. Your reason is four days away, if we ride hard and fast we can make it in three.”

Jack urged Pilgrim into a canter and Henry did the same.

Very good story, Nikkia. I really like Ridley, she seems to be the kind of character that's always happy.

I was kind of disappointed when I found out that Tristan was such a jerk, because the name 'Tristan' is one of my favorites, and one I always associate with nobleness..:rolleyes:

There are a lot of unexpected twists in the plot that are totally awesome!

Back